Lore questions.

Comments

• SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    Do con artists sell people get-ascended-quick schemes.

• OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    Serrice said:

In HELP GODS, the gods are divided between Spirit and Shadow. Is this just an in-lore philosophy thing, an in-lore essence thing, or a byproduct of the OOC tethering thing?

Really just the easiest way to say "allows undead" vs. "doesn't," I would say.
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
    Trigru
    What is mortality's purpose?

• What is the meaning of life? 
    Sollace

Politics
    TeaniSatrinaSollace
    Do celestial bodies have any significance in Aetolia? Are their moon wizards? Is the moon going to be an explorable area?

• I can answer the first with a 'yes'. As for the others, though.

Three men walk into a café, take a corner booth, and wait for context.
    ObynTrigruHadrakXeniaAshmer
  • Xorani != Xoran
    >Xoran = Xorans
    >Xorani = Xorani

Am I right or am I wrong? I'm under the impression that Xaanhal xorani are NOT mere xoran, regardless if they actually are.
    I mean, you know, an amount.

• ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    I always took it that Xorani was the plural/of the species, IE:

I am a Xoran = I am a Troll
    I am Xorani = I am Trollish
    I am of the Xorani people = I am of the Trollish people
    That is a Xorani design = That is a Dwarfish design
    That Xoran has a nice tail = That Atavian has Junk in the Trunk
    Erzsebet
  • edited September 2014
    Xoran is the singular noun and the adjective. Xorani is the plural, and EDIT: I think you could probably use it as an adjective if referring to a plural noun, i.e. Xoran town, Xorani towns.
  • edited September 2014
    Then why are Xaanhal mobs all referred to as singular Xorani, rather than Xoran?

• Because they're arrogant and consistently use the royal we, or because we goofed. Take your pick!
    ArekaHadrakKonnornSarkisIshinTarasVolka
  • SetneSetne The Grand Tyrant
    Ignotum said:

Because they're arrogant and consistently use the royal we, or because we goofed. Take your pick!

Both

Ingram said:
    "Oh my arms are suddenly lubed"
    Sarkis
  • EleanorEleanor FOR SCIENCE
    I think saying "That is a Xorani" is like saying "That is an Italian". It's using the form of the word that refers to something from that place (similarly, Xorani language, Italian language) So by that logic, you can say either one? 'That is a Xoran' identifies the race and 'That is a Xorani' identifies the group the individual is a part of?

Disclaimer: This is all guessing for what feels right, I am not a wordy expert.

ArekaSibattiAarbrokBakhtuhIshinErzsebet
  • With air being considered one of the shadow-aligned elements, and Slyphe having evidently consumed it and gained its power, what uh... what exactly goes on there? Would he theoretically be considered equal parts spirit and shadow now?

I know water is absolutely considered something that is spirit-aligned when it comes to the elements, but are shadow-aligned elements not held to the same sort of restraints?
    Feelings, sensations that you thought were dead. No squealin' remember, that it's all in your head.
  • edited October 2014
    Aldric said:

With air being considered one of the shadow-aligned elements, and Slyphe having evidently consumed it and gained its power, what uh... what exactly goes on there? Would he theoretically be considered equal parts spirit and shadow now?

I know water is absolutely considered something that is spirit-aligned when it comes to the elements, but are shadow-aligned elements not held to the same sort of restraints?

I can't really go too deeply into Slyphe's personality shifts right now without spoilers, but there is some stuff going on in the background that might not be readily apparent. That said, the elements don't really work in the way you are suggesting. Air and Water are both their own separate entities, not overtly bound to Shadow or Spirit aside from the obvious associations. Keep in mind that what your characters might know, or think they know, about the elements may come from flawed sources.
    ArekaAarbrokIshinBenedictoAshmer
  • HELP METALS

So all the alloys are bad for weapons and armor. Is this only because steel is an element in Aetolia?

I don't imagine it has anything to do with steel being an element and more that they are incredibly soft. (though sterling platinum should be OK).
    I think someone forgot that steel isn't a pure metal? >_>

Areka
  • It's not that all the alloys are bad for weapons and armor, it's that most of the alloys that are around in the game world are too soft for serious use in weapons and armor. Bronze, for example, is an alloy and is perfectly acceptable to use in weapons or armor. That said, you can -include- those metals in your forging designs, so long as they're not the primary material.
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Also, most of them aren't INCable. >_>
    Xenia
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    I know players don't age but is the same said for NPCs?
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
  • Eh. NPC's have been aged in the past. A prime example is Timmy from Enorian.
  • EleanorEleanor FOR SCIENCE
    We asked Sneak why she was sixteen, once. She said it felt like a good place to stop.

RiluoTragerEmelleIshinErzsebetXeniaElieSollaceAshmer
  • VolkaVolka Lurking behind the beakers....
      I've known players that aged their charecters, just at a slower rate than 12 days = one year. I've personally had charecters that I've put through real-time changes with appearances, like when Merelii was scorched in the Big Top fire during the Juxa event, over the course of a week or two I tweaked her description to slowly heal and regrow fur and whiskers.  

Because our charecters bip in and out of existence when we log in or out, I also kind of thought it affected their aging.

(I also have always thought that the planet/plane Aetolia resides in was subject to superfast days, otherrwise we'd be sleeping every 35 minutes, which is just wierd.) 

Suspension of disbelief is a handy skill. :)

I adore Sneak's answer.
  • LimLim
    edited December 2014
    "Proximity alert. Amalgamation Prototype One
    entering primary defense phase."

- Amal, the Soldier

Who is this magnificent fellow?

Add: Oh. Just saw events 111 and 114. This is awesome.
    Amal was the best. He also drew pictures of horses.
    Ishin
  • What was Jhakor's real story? Lonely guy chilling out there in Ollin has to have a reason, right?

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

• HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    Story-wise, what's the relationship between curatives(herb/slices, tattoos, salves/poultices, etc) and NPCs? Are they just rare outside of "civilization"(i.e., player-run cities)? Like, is there reason some of the stronger mortal NPCs aren't running around with Starburst tattoos or something?
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2