That Other Video Game Thread

Comments

• Addicted to MGS V.  Haven't ran a mission in a week or so. But free roam and side ops keep me in the cash. Also DD... such an evil evil dog. 

• DemarcusDemarcus Black Flagon Inn
    So I have a dilemma and I figured I'd go to the go-to people. The so-called subject matter experts. If I have some question about the pituitary gland, I'll ask an endocrinologist. Or go to the orphanage in Ashtan. One of the two. If I have a question about video games, I'll ask you peeps.

I recently replaced my laptop (twice, technically... the first one was no good so I exchanged it for something BETTER) and planned on using it mostly for work. I wanted to keep games/gaming off of it as much as possible to avoid distractions and be able to work well. Aetolia doesn't count, it isn't a game. It's life.

So my plan was to get this laptop and then a desktop slightly later that was designed to be a mid-to-higher-end gaming rig and a nice big monitor and peripherals and stuff like that. It was going to be awesome. But now I'm thinking that an XBox One (or possibly a PS4...) might better suit my needs. Because the only game I actually want to play is Fallout 4. All others are the after thought's after thoughts' second cousin five times removed. The sandbox aspect and the building and killing and OMG it looks fantastical. Anyways. I'm not a big one for online content and the modding and crap. Great, you made Nick Fury and the big flying aircraft carrier and you're raining destruction down on Boston... actually that sounds pretty cool. Bah. You see what I mean about easily distracted or derailed? I'm fine with just playing the game and having fun. I won't have gobs and gobs and gobs of time to throw at it, maybe a few hours a week (def. single digits at best) so it's not like I need that stuffs.

Here is ultimately what I'm looking for and I think the XBox meets the needs better:

- Pause-ability. Nothing worse than a screaming toddler and a crying mother and you're going, "Uh... uh... give me 60 seconds to qq pls." (If I randomly go AFK, now you have an idea of why!)
    - Synchronization with setting up my downstairs entertainment den. I have two kickass new plush Lazy-boy recliners that are begging to be gaming chairs. Or movie watching chairs. XBox One can use Netflix.
    - Backwards Compatibility. I had an XBox, then an XBox 360. So I have a plethora of games that I probably will never ever play again. But it's nice to think that I might.
    - Two-Playerability. It's nice to have a self-contained unit for multiplayer if I invite a friend over or something and he doesn't have to bring a sub-par gaming laptop to play on.
    - Halo 5 is coming out soon. I've played every Halo (minus Halo: ODST and Halo Wars... those don't actually count, IMHO) and it would be nice to continue that trend. Technically speaking, I've played through the campaign with a longtime friend of mine on each of them, too, so it would be great to be able to do that going forward.
    - XBox One plays blu-rays? I own exactly 0 and plan on buying that number or fewer until I can no longer buy DVDs or whatever.
    - It would be about $700 less than I was planning on spending. Gives me some more flexibility for like a year of XBox Live Gold or getting a few games this Christmas when they come out. A certain website has a bundle for the normal console/controller/game + another controller + another game for $349.00, which is the same price as the console/controller/game everywhere else. And the controller isn't a plain one, and the game isn't like Mega Extreme Oragami Master. You know the one I'm talking about. The one that you go, "Gee, thanks for including this drink coaster. I was afraid my beer might sweat on my end table while playing the games I actually bought the system to play." (It is a choice between Madden 2016 and Destiny:The Fallen King Edition for the extra bonus game... so I'd get 2 with the bundle).

ALL that being said, is there any reason that I might have missed that I -shouldn't- go with the XBox One, and should unequivocally go with either the original desktop option or something I haven't considered like a PS4? Or is there a reason I should wait a little longer in hopes of a -better- deal coming out for the holidays? It would have to be essentially dropping the same offer to less, since I'll need a second controller anyways and they run $60, so offering the base console bundle for $299.99 (which might be a holiday sale) is a worse deal. Any input would be greatly appreciated so I can make the best choice!
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    Man so I was playing dat halo 5 last night, right? Playing and playing...

Then the credits started to roll...

I stared at it for a minute, and I was like, "...I think I'm going to throw my controller."

Too good to end so suddenly :(
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    Well shoot, if Ishin says it's good, it must be good.

I did find that Dell.com is offering a Fallout 4 bundle on Black Friday (Well, it's technically Darkening Thursday, since it will occur on Thanksgiving afternoon) which is the same console bundle, a controller, and Fallout 4 for $299.99. Say wut.

Only two problems. One, I dislike waiting a month. Two, I dislike banking on securing a sale item of limited quantity and extremely high demand. Thirdly, I don't want to be glued to my computer on Thanksgiving trying to refresh to get this deal. To heck with that.

So, with @Ishin 's input, I shall get the XBox One. Thank you Ishin.
    DidiIshin
  • AarbrokAarbrok Breaking things...For Science San Diego, CA
    Group of streamer folks convinced me to play CS:GO with them last night.
    I had the most viewers on my stream I ever had, it was not because I was good...at all.

SO MUCH SALT.....I have never taken so many shots to the face without dinner first.
    Ishin
  • edited October 2015
    There's plenty of reasons to go with a PC over an xboxone. To begin with, your mid-to-high range pc's will drastically outstrip the performance of either of the major consoles if you get the right components. That performance does come with a premium, it's true - your consoles are going to run you much less than even a mid-range pc, and that's down to the fact that they really are specialized for what they do. If all you need is a proverbial hammer, then you don't need to go out and buy a full tool kit, just buy a hammer.

That said, it's much, much easier for a PC to take the place of a dedicated media machine like the consoles. Chromecast, steam link, hdmi cables...these have all made it much easier to game in your living room on the couch or a chair while still using your PC. What's more, you can now use wireless xbox one controllers with pc's, as long as you're running windows 10, and there's plenty of wireless devices designed for use at something other than a desk. Ultimately, go with what will serve you best. Despite all the PC-Master-Race BS you see on the internet, most people aren't serious about judging people based on what they game on.

Edit: Also, keep in mind what sort of games you want to play. I built a PC rather than getting an xbox, and despite being very happy with what I have, part of me is disappointed, because I'd really love to be able to play some of dat sweet, sweet Forza. Or some Halo now and then.
    Alastair
  • HadrakHadrak Dorohedoro
    If you're looking to buy a particular console, I tend to base it off of what exclusives are coming out that I want and make my choice from there. Both consoles tend to be pretty much even keel otherwise in every other department.

Ishin
    I did recently learn about the death of split screen local co-operative play. While it would not have impacted my decision, it makes me terribly sad.

I quite honestly just want to play Fallout 4. But getting Battlefront and Halo is a bonus. But seriously, no local co-op on nearly every game? #YoureDoingItWrong

• edited October 2015
    I can get you a build list for pcpartpicker right this second for under $500 that will blow the doors off any console from this generation or next. I will never go back to 30 fps. There's literally nothing that comes to my mind that xbone or ps4 can do that said $500 PC couldn't. The people that say "WELL YOU HAVE TO SPEND SO MUCH MONEY UPDATING BECAUSE THE NEW PARTS COME OUT EVERY WEEK LAWLZ" have less than no idea what they are talking about. If you're willing to wait for the amazingballs Black Friday sales coming up, you can do what I did, which is build a $1000 gaming PC for $600. I skimped on my cpu and went with 1x8 RAM, ostensibly for upgrading, but to be quite honest nothing has ever even come close to bottlenecking me inside my case. My 60 (can 'OC' to 75 but never do) hz monitor is my only bottleneck thus far. Maybe if I went to 2k or 4k gaming it would be different, but I'm not willing to spend that much considering the diminishing returns. Maybe once 120/144hz 4k monitors cost less than a good used car? Nb4 someone links me a plebe 24" or something equally terrible.

If anyone needs help building, between my help and youtube you quite literally cannot get any more clear cut on what you have to do and I'm definitely willing to help. Anything to prevent someone buying another prebuilt. Mac, HP, Dell, whatever manufacturer you want to name, charge on average 2-3x the price of the parts used to build a given rig, and with how easy they are to assemble (think large, color coded and connection specific Legos for adults) there's no reason for that kind of markup.

Been building for years, never used some weird electro strap or rubber mat or whatever. Use a hardwood non laminate non painted surface, and ground yourself out on the case every time you are about to touch another part. Tada, welcome to never frying anything with static and having to wait for that RMA replacement.

On topic: Games I've loved from the past year(ish) (all in 60fps at 1080p)

- Shadow of Mordor
    - Breaking Point (mod for Arma 3)
    - Bioshock Infinite
    - Chivalry: Medieval Warfare
    - Farcry 4
    - Battlefront's beta... as someone whose impression wasn't tainted, as in, I expected only a Battlefront 2 remake with updated graphics, I got exactly what I was expecting and it was amazing. So much nostalgia from years ago. Really hope there's a Bespin map!

I tried CS:GO but I tend to shy away from shooters that have lots of hackers all the time. It's what ruined DayZ, it's what ruined H1Z1, it's what made Arma 3's Breaking Point so amazing. Almost 600 hours and never one hacker. Plenty of times I died from miscalculation or not paying attention or being straight outplayed, but no asshole eating a headshot like I'm giving him a breath mint and then headshotting ME through 5 layers of steel reinforced concrete.

ETA: I just got GTA V... yes I know I'm late to the game and I wanted to play Devil's Advocate... sometimes when you don't own consoles you might have to wait for a totally worthwhile port. I still haven't tried Carmageddon or the Iron Man or Hulk mods but it seems exciting. Also locked at 60 fps in 1080p with everything set to 'Very High'. I got the little VRAM bar into the yellow with the long shadows and hi res shadows options enabled and was experiencing frame drops to 45 on very 'busy' scenes so, I turned those off. I can live without them. Time to go kill some prostitutes for money and some cops for ammo! Mom would be proud!
    Senior Administrator Veritas says, "Shut upbre."
    Arbre Aquila dur Naya says, "Yessir."
    Senior Administrator Veritas says, "I'm a lady!"

Senior Administrator Veritas says, "Yeah cutscene kicks in."
    Senior Administrator Veritas says, "Watch our awesome CG."

Senior Administrator Veritas says, "I grove ever stronger in the presence of Alastair!"
    Senior Administrator Veritas says, "Grow*."
    Senior Administrator Veritas says, "No druids here."
    Ishin

Happy Halloween~

• Dear next week,

Hurry up, please. I'd like to play Fallout 4 already.

Sincerely,
    Kelli
    Now with 253% more Madness.
    Cute-Kelli by @Sessizlik.
    AarbrokLelac

The Souls community is the gift that keeps on giving.

My Monster Hunter itch is truly never scratched. I love the setting so damn much.

• LelacLelac Houston, TX
    FALLOUT 4
    Sorry Syssin. I must rampage across Boston.
    Ishin
  • TragerTrager Raiding your underwear drawer.
    I have done it, against my better judgement, and pre-downloaded Fallout 4. My life is officially over.
    Indoran'i is back baby. It's go-... Oh.

LelacIshinDemarcus
  • LelacLelac Houston, TX
    Trager said:

I have done it, against my better judgement, and pre-downloaded Fallout 4. My life is officially over.

I got it 20% off, going to predownload today on a new HDD and cry at work tomorrow, until I get home.
    Trager
  • edited November 2015
    IF YOU LIVE IN AUSTRALIA OR NEW ZEALAND YOU CAN GO SCREW YOURSELF RIGHT NOW

edit: im not mad
    Demarcus
  • Anfini said:

Mmm....delicious Fallout
  • LelacLelac Houston, TX
    Kelliara said:

Anfini said:

Mmm....delicious Fallout
    GIMME :(
    Kelliara said:

Mmm....delicious Fallout

Time to play on Survival.

Kelliara
  • Hadrak said:

Kelliara said:

Mmm....delicious Fallout

Time to play on Survival.
    I'll race you to a horrible death in the Commonwealth!
  • I'm facing the bug where you can't play except in window mode.  :(
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    I ended up buying and beating TellTale Games, Tales from the Borderlands since they recently finished the last episode. Was very well done from start to finish. Looking forward to their GoT final episode so I can pick that series up. Also my new PC is all in, I just need to get home from this shift and I'll have a week and a half off to play Fallout
    Iselle
  • @Jensen I love Telltale Games! And sooo looking forward to the last GOT episode. Which...person did you save in the last chapter of the last episode?
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    Haven't started it yet, I don't pick them up until the finish all the episodes (I like to play to completion in 1-2 sittings)
  • Haha, that's smart. I'm always left craaaving the next one - if only I had the willpower to wait!
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    Anyone know of any good couch co-op PS4 games? I have like... Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires, Diablo 3 + expansion, Magicka 2 and CoD: Advanced Warfare.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    Haven said:

Anyone know of any good couch co-op PS4 games?

Rocket League.

Haven
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    greetings from the commonwealth

Valingar