Ankyrean Anguish - Aetolia-based RAGE

Comments

• MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland

You use Dhuriv Gouge on you.
    With a zig-zagging step, you gouge yourself's head with your dhurive and disengage, leaving you reeling from the blow.
    Your head has taken 2.57% damage.
    Health Lost: 387, cutting.
    You are afflicted with impatience.

You use Dhuriv Gouge on you.
    With a zig-zagging step, you gouge yourself's head with your dhurive and disengage, leaving you reeling from the blow.
    You parry the attack to your head with a deft maneuver.

This is what he's talking about. It definitely is a headache and requires excessive coding to deal with. The thing is it applies to a lot of parried attacks, not just Sentinels. 

You rip the length of an iron-tipped whip across yourself, tearing her up.

It's a good thing there's a quality of life liaison round coming up! Ironically, Carnifex are actually cool and hip and have a special parry message for parried attacks.

You strike out at yourself with a lace-work locustwood halberd and slash at her head, but she parries it aside.
    Spinning a lace-work locustwood halberd deftly in your hands, you bring it about for another strike.
    You strike out at yourself with a lace-work locustwood halberd and slash at her head, but she parries it aside.

It would be nice if ALL classes had this sort of easy management. They don't, as far as I can tell, though:

You kick your leg high and scythe downwards at yourself.

You let fly at Oleis with a snap kick.
    Oleis parries the attack on His right leg with a deft maneuver.
    You ball up one fist and hammerfist Oleis.
    You ball up one fist and hammerfist Oleis.

So, tl;dr, I agree that it's sucky, but it's not a Sent-specific issue. I'll write a report about it, but that's gonna be a ton of work to change I expect.
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    Swinging your dhurive at (\w+), \w+ quickly parries the strike.

All I'm asking.
    Yes, but that requires time to write and implement and if you get that, why don't all the other classes get it? 
  • Yeah, lycans / monks / templars / etc all have this same issue, it's not unique to Sentinels. Custom parry messages could be a nice convenience, but their lack is not anywhere close to being a significant issue, nor should it prevent anyone from participating in combat.

edited December 2013
    Except lycans and monks don't need to track off their attack message. Limb breaks have a separate message they can track off of and lycans DO, in fact, get a different message when rend/hamstring is parried (or else I'd have just used their method of tracking for it). As for Carnifex and Templars, none of the attacks that give special afflictions can be parried. They can (as we can and still can) track venom delivery off of Discernment, so those attacks aren't even relevant to this conversation.

tl;dr: It IS a Sentinel specific issue.
  • EzalorEzalor Emperor D'baen Canada
    If you're not tracking limb damage you're also playing limb classes wrong.
    AngweIshin
  • Sounds like you've never played a limb class! Hit tracking to know when the limb will break is essential, working off the breaks alone is not enough.

Angwe
    I do, in fact, play a Lycanthrope. I know what I'm talking about. Stop trying to change the subject.
    Playing a Lycanthrope doesn't mean you play it successfully.

No one is arguing that it would be a nice quality-of-life change, but it's one that -all- classes should see, not just Sentinels. It is far from a Sentinel-specific issue. Also responding with so much hostility to someone telling you how to work around it really doesn't help anything.
  • Add a temp aff, enable a trigger. On prompt, add the off. On parry/dodge, don't add the thing. It isn't all THAT hard to do. Just an extra step.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

I do it even lazier. I just cure the last aff I gave them on parry/dodge. For venoms, have the dodge message turn my firstattack variable true so it treats the one that does come off as the second venom.
    Ishin
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    Simmer down.  Don't make me bring out the mod font.
    I'm totally upside down from you guys. I have a multistate trigger for the attack, and I check within the next x lines for relevant info.
    DaskalosTaelin
  • edited December 2013
    I do the same thing as Moi. Works just fine.

Edit:
    Also as someone who codes PRIMARILY Limb offenses (Anyone who sees me with maces knows da pain!) and I have Lycan + Monk, as well, as I HATE keeping track of venoms, and running out. God I want a venom rag...
    ANYWAY - Saying that you 'shouldn't have to do a jinky workaround' which is really simple coding, and if you're not tracking hits right, I have NO idea how you'll make any headway unless you're just facerolling the keyboard. Limb fighting is just as complicated as venom/affs, if not moreso since you have to incorporate Rebounding/Shield/Parry/Dodge/Pre-Resto. VS Venoms @ Rebounding/Shield/Dodge.
  • SaritaSarita Empress of Bahir'an The Pillars of the Earth
    Maybe all this limb stuff could get its own thread somewhere in the combat section, maybe?
  • OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    Nope, I'm pretty positive the discussion is over.
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
    Haern
  • MacavityMacavity Chicago, Il
    SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  annoyed that HELP files are not updated in game!!  Seriously, how are we, as a community, suppose to have new players if the information they are reading in HELP files are not correct??  
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
    I feel where you're coming from. Unfortunately, I can't undo a decade of neglect by sheer willpower alone. Shoot me a message if you know of a helpfile that's inaccurate with a hint as to why it's inaccurate.

For you specifically, @Macavity, I'm guessing that's HELP SIGILS. As they still (sort of) exist for some reason, I'm loath to take them off just yet.
    [---]
  • PhoeneciaPhoenecia The Merchant of Esterport Somewhere in Attica
    I'm kind of annoyed that I STILL can't make pauldrons in forging, but can design custom ones. It's been like that for a while now, and it's been bugging me.

Also, I kind of wish there was a way to tell what wear location you're wearing all of your gear in instead of having to probe each individual item and guess.
    NeithanAngwe
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    Driga's custom room entrance/exit.
    MoireanSessizlikPhoenecia
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    So wait he's NOT constantly teleporting in and out of places I am randomly standing?
    EzalorMoireanAngweArbre
  • SessizlikSessizlik Muffin Mage
    edited December 2013
    Aishia said:
    So wait he's NOT constantly teleporting in and out of places I am randomly standing?

• DaingeanDaingean Xanhaal, probably.
    edited December 2013
    Trigger: ^A sudden pressure fills the air as a small fracture rips open before you, revealing Driga and closing behind him as he steps forth.$
    Value: #sub {Driga enters.}

Trigger: ^A small tear in reality opens up and hovers in the air before you, before snapping shut with a clap of thunder as Driga leaves through it.$
    Value: #Sub {Driga exits.}

Since like, the first day he got that thing. The spam is crazy if he ever tries to shop near corners, otherwise.

Edit: Format tags on this forum suck.
    Proudly fighting against Greytolia since the [approximately] 3/1/2010 at 18:00.
    For me, the annoying part is that it doesn't follow convention and there's no direction shown as entry/exit. I'm surprised it was approved without that.
    Arbre

ANNOUNCE NEWS #2203
    Date: 12/17/2013 at 1:28
    To  : Everyone
    Subj: On the future of Artisanal/Bardic contests

From now on, the Artisanal and Bardic contests will only be running once
    every three months. This will start beginning January 2014, allowing
    this month to run as normal.

Lately, we've been only been seeing two to four entries each month. By
    extending the period to a three month cycle, we hope to increase the
    number of submissions.

Penned by my hand on the 20th of Variach, in the year 408 MA.

Isn't every other IRE judged monthly?
    CannanPiper
    Moirean said:

ANNOUNCE NEWS #2203

number of submissions.

It's not a company-wide thing by any means. Imperian rarely has them at all.
    [---]
    Well I know that one thing I hear as a complaint from people who come to Aet from other IREs is that the bardics don't seem to ever be judged. Now it's an official hardly ever. :(
  • Lusternia's Bardics are once a month and they tend to have a lot more people winning at once.

One thing I did notice about Aet Bardics is that a person can win in both artisanals and Bardics, whereas you can't in Lusternia.

Tyrai
  • DaingeanDaingean Xanhaal, probably.
    Moirean said:
    For me, the annoying part is that it doesn't follow convention and there's no direction shown as entry/exit. I'm surprised it was approved without that.
    Every custom one I've seen lacks an enter/exit direction. That, from what I gather, is the whole appeal of the artifact.
    Proudly fighting against Greytolia since the [approximately] 3/1/2010 at 18:00.
    Neithan
  • edited December 2013
    Moirean said:

ANNOUNCE NEWS #2203

number of submissions.

I know, contentless post, but I share the sentiment.
    Piper
This discussion has been closed.