Abhorash

Comments

• MacavityMacavity Chicago, Il
    I have noticed that points are updated on a 15 minute rotation, anything past that is a mystery to me, other than people who have systems that auto apply a def when it drops or stalks when the day switches to night, and in that case would make you active again because it is an active skill.  

“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
  • ErzsebetErzsebet Altaholic
     They're not quite updated in real time, I don't think--and consider that if you're standing around, other people could be stuff.

In general though, points go up a lot faster when I'm bashing than when I'm actively having conversations or RP. And -way- more when I'm crafting, since that involves time spent writing descriptions and not mass-entering commands.
    imageimage
    In my experience, they update much faster than on a timer of 15 minutes.
    imageimage
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Erzsebet said:
    I don't think anyone is setting triggers and going afk--if they are, then there's other problems with the system.

Lolania definitely is. I've given myself a tour of the Ve'kahi Castle thanks to a handy dandy prism tattoo and her idling.
    AngweMastema
    I didn't say there weren't people was afk, I said there weren't people in Ve'kahi who set triggers for the purpose of circumventing the mechanisms that determine what constitutes as active.
    imageimage
  • I think Moirean is saying there are, though, unless this Lolania person isn't in Ve'kahi.
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    Yeah, I picked up on Lolania awhile ago, just... AFKing away in the vamp castle in Morgun. She hasn't moved. At all. In days.
    edited March 2013
    Sounds to me like she's saying Lolania is constantly afk--which is true, like I said in the first seven or so words of my last post. AFK != Gaming the numbers, because AFK doesn't count for any points. I can be online and AFK for the entire week and I will generate ZERO points unless I start actively doing stuff. Which is what I'm saying that everyone seems intent on missing. I'm saying that Ve'kahi people are not setting ttriggers so they can afk AND generate points at the same time.

Anyone know when the list on HOUSES changed again?

ETA: Yeah, last time she moved, it was because I summoned her afk rear from half the world away to the Bloodloch Portals.
    imageimage
  • edited March 2013
    <P>Bloodloch City portals, group deffing up spam since the fall of the Imperium.</P>
    <P> </P>
    <P>Not pointing fingers either! </P>
    Carnifex failing since 2011. Fixes coming Soon ™
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    Erzsebet said:
    I'm saying that Ve'kahi people are not setting ttriggers so they can afk AND generate points at the same time.

I'm not accusing anyone of anything here.  I just wanna know how you -know- that they're not doing that.
  • edited March 2013
    Erzsebet said:
    Sounds to me like she's saying Lolania is constantly afk--which is true, like I said in the first seven or so words of my last post. AFK != Gaming the numbers, because AFK doesn't count for any points. I can be online and AFK for the entire week and I will generate ZERO points unless I start actively doing stuff. Which is what I'm saying that everyone seems intent on missing. I'm saying that Ve'kahi people are not setting ttriggers so they can afk AND generate points at the same time.

Anyone know when the list on HOUSES changed again?

ETA: Yeah, last time she moved, it was because I summoned her afk rear from half the world away to the Bloodloch Portals.
    I'm not accusing anyone. But look at what Moirean wrote. She quoted you syaing "Nobody is setting triggers." and said "This person definitely is. I've been all over the Ve'kahi castle by prisming to this person while she idles about moving."

Unless I am just WAY off, in which case yay for nobody gaming the system.
  • AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    I've seen D'baen people idling in Bloodloch portals for points, etc, too. So long as people get points for being online people will be idling - especially if the existance of their very house is at stake.
    @Arb I guess I don't -know- 100% that they're not doing it? Though I have pretty much all of 'em on AIM and pretty much all of 'em are either the type who wouldn't do it because it's completely fail, wouldn't do it because way too lazy, or who would tell me about it in response to  me spazzing and/or stressing out over such things on aim in an attempt to get me to calm me down some and stop worrying so much. I am thusly pretty certain it's not a thing that's happening in Ve'kahi. And I -do- know for a fact that Lolania's not doing it, because Blood Monitor. When she's idling, she's pretty much not doing anything, cept when she pokes her head back in to check stuff--and she's reachable when she pokes back in for stuff, so it's not triggers doing the hwho and so on every so often.

@Lexi My point is that you -don't- get points for idling unless you're legit doing stuff.

@Everyoneinthisparticularconversation I didn't mean to sound as if I was taking offense or assuming y'all are all accusing me/'kahi or anything. Not the case.

@Razmael Please, please, please, let havens count again. I miss roleplaying in my haven so much. :( I'm fine with rules against setting up triggers to keep someone active when they're afk, I just want to RP in my haven again. I have this awesome, shiny RP space that's intrinsic to my character and I feel like I can't use it ever, 'cause of this house system. :(
    imageimage
  • EzalorEzalor Emperor D'baen Canada
    Alexina said:
    I've seen D'baen people idling in Bloodloch portals for points, etc, too. So long as people get points for being online people will be idling - especially if the existance of their very house is at stake.
    It's just force of habit from Ironbeard/the old tophouses system/book tattoos. We don't actually get any points for being afk.
    Ezalor said:

It's just force of habit from Ironbeard/the old tophouses system/book tattoos. We don't actually get any points for being afk.

If this was true, Razmael wouldn't have disabled havens or earthmelded people from gaining points. You may not get much points from being afk, but I'm fairly sure you are getting some.
    edited March 2013
    They disabled idle people getting points too. I've looked at it with Ilyon and I idle at city portals doing nothing, points don't rise at all. As in an actual increase of 0 at a tick.
    Nope! If you watch points on a house full of people who are afk, it doesn't move at all.
    imageimage
    If that's in place, is there a specific reason you're not getting any points in your haven?
    I guess because it's much easier to automate triggers to spam movement and stuff in your Haven where no one beyond the admin can catch you.
    I -think- it's to stop people from setting up triggers like the ones mentioned above.

It's something you can at least keep an eye on if people are down on the prime plane. If you're stopping your standing around silent to dance a jig every 2.5 minutes on the dot or something, it gets pretty obvious that you're afk--and people can't really monitor that if you're in your haven unless they're god/admin--and both of those types of people have plenty of other things to do beyond babysitting point-farming vampires. Easier to just ban Havens.

I'm cool with having said afk point-farming being a shrubbable offense or something if it gets them to allow us to gain points in our havens again.
    imageimage
  • MacavityMacavity Chicago, Il
    Alexina said:
    If that's in place, is there a specific reason you're not getting any points in your haven?
    During this time it was made clear that anyone within a Haven no matter what they do would not gain any points at all.  
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
    I'm kinda curious what constitutes afk, mostly just from an academic standpoint. It must be pretty darn hard to track? I wrote an AI once for Avalon to carry on conversations with people and do stuff like comms work while I was afk, and I used it for months without anyone even realizing it was a bot. (NOTE: I AM NOT ENDORSING DOING THIS)
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    I'm glad the Admin have kept the formula secret.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    Erzsebet
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    Rivas
  • MaghakMaghak The heights of Stormcaller Crag
    I'm that dog. It's me.

I don't accept Mastercard.
    Maghak said:
    I'm that dog. It's me.

I don't accept Mastercard.
    For you:

havenbanner2
    Xavin
    I don't mean the actual formula, but I mean can you be RPing or just reading news/writing scrolls/communicating through tells, and still be considered active?
    edited March 2013
    Moirean said:
    I don't mean the actual formula, but I mean can you be RPing or just reading news/writing scrolls/communicating through tells, and still be considered active?
    I believe you can but the rate at which you must do so is high I think. Like if it takes you 5 mins or so to emote or something, you won't be generating as much points as if you were out bashing where your commands are frequent and consistent. And I think that's were a big part of the complaint comes from because you can't just chill and role-play without taking a loss.

Edit: I could be wrong. It could very well be that you don't generate any points at all! But from what I understand of the system, it's more that you don't nearly generate as much or even close to the amount of points role-playing as you do bashing.
    havenbanner2
    Erzsebet
    That is definitely an issue then, especially because (imho) good org leadership stems from direct player interaction. Someone who is emoting and talking with new players is probably giving them a better experience in Aetolia than someone who is out bashing while watching youtube - and being a good leader often means you have to be engaged in interactions like that, to help establish and maintain the "vibe" of your org.
    EsperEmelle
    I haven't really changed the way I play at all. Then again, I like to do leylines and bash and both are fairly input-intensive. I also spend a lot of time RPing and such though and I generally don't notice lagging points. I would think that the formula is more advanced than just "x commands = y points."