13th Anniversary games

MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland

ANNOUNCE NEWS #2317
Date: 10/5/2014 at 15:34
To : Everyone
Subj: We're turning 13!

The 7th of October marks Aetolia's 13th Anniversary and the beginning of our celebration! Every 13 hours, starting at the Howling of the 7th, an event will be started. Some of these events will be automatically selected from a random, rotating list, the others will be fixed events. You will accrue points for participating in these events, and extra points for scoring in the top 3 of an event. After 13 days have passed, the points will be tallied up and the top 13 ranked people will receive a credit prize. Additionally, the city that gets the most points will receive a unique style scroll for all its citizens.

The EVENTS RANKINGS command will give you the current rankings.

=================
PRIZES
=================
* You will receive a single giftbag for each event you participate in!
* Some events will have their own unique prizes attached to it. e.g. the Master Duelist rapier in the Delosian Duel. Where applicable, EVENTS INFO for that event will list the prize.
* Otherwise, placing an event will typically only award you points.

Prize table for the 13 winners of the Anniversary celebration are as follows:
1st 1300cr
2nd 800cr
3rd 700cr
4th 600cr
5th 500cr
6th 400cr
7th 350cr
8th 300cr
9th 250cr
10th 200cr
11th 150cr
12th 100cr
13th 50cr

=================
* Participating, but not placing, in an event will gain you 1 point.
* Placing first in an event will gain you 5 points.
* Placing second in an event will gain you 3 points.
* Placing third in an event will gain you 2 points.

In the case of a team game, like Capture the Flag, all participants of the winning team will receive the appropriate points. e.g. if Delos comes first, all Delos citizens get 5 points. In the case of a game having multiple winners, all those winners will be awarded first place. i.e. it's possible for more than one person to beat Survivor.

=================
AUTO EVENTS
=================
These events will be selected at random for the automatically generated events. The game will rotate through them, meaning if Survivor occurs, it won't occur again until all other options have been exhausted.

* Starfall
* FFA
* Freezetag
* Bloodbath
* Survivor
* Bait the frog

=================
SCHEDULE
=================

Note: All times are in GMT. We will be filling out the EVENTS command listing shortly, so refer to EVENTS INFO for full information on each event.
Date       Day         Time        Event
7th Oct    Tuesday     00:00:00    Delosian Duel
                       13:00:00    Auto
8th Oct    Wednesday   02:00:00    Auto
                       15:00:00    Auto
9th Oct    Thursday    04:00:00    Auto
                       17:00:00    Auto
10th Oct   Friday      06:00:00    Auto
                       19:00:00    Crafting Competition
11th Oct   Saturday    08:00:00    Auto
                       21:00:00    Capture-the-Flag
12th Oct   Sunday      10:00:00    Auto
                       23:00:00    Iron Epicurean
13th Oct   Monday      12:00:00    Auto
14th Oct   Tuesday     01:00:00    Auto
                       14:00:00    Auto
15th Oct   Wednesday   03:00:00    Auto
                       16:00:00    Auto
16th Oct   Thursday    05:00:00    Auto
                       18:00:00    Auto
17th Oct   Friday      07:00:00    Auto
                       20:00:00    Walker's Tongue
18th Oct   Saturday    09:00:00    Auto
                       22:00:00    Storytelling Contest
19th Oct   Sunday      11:00:00    Auto
20th Oct   Monday      00:00:00    Grand Quiz

Penned by my hand on the 18th of Chakros, in the year 431 MA.

Comments

• MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    I'm excited! The automated stuff sounds nifty (and promising for future events!), and crafting competitions are always really fun. I just wish there was a bashing event or something to test geography, like the scavenger hunts Lusternia and Imperian have.
    TeaniAlissandra
  • TragerTrager Raiding your underwear drawer.
    I wish duel wasn't happening when I have to work :(
    Indoran'i is back baby. It's go-... Oh.

• EleanorEleanor FOR SCIENCE
    10am on a working Monday for the iron epicurean. Curse you!

AlissandraAarbrok
  • Kinda sad that those of us with 8-5 jobs won't really be able to partake in alot of the Mon-Fri events. :( Oh well, can't please everyone.
    (Oasis): Benedicto says, "There was like 0.5 seconds between "Oh hey, they're in area. That was quick." and "OMFG THEY'RE IN THE AREA STAHP STAHP!""

• Zsadist said: 
    Kinda sad that those of us with 8-5 jobs won't really be able to partake in alot of the Mon-Fri events. :( Oh well, can't please everyone.
    I recommend a strategic coffee break. Or, tell your CO you have important bidness. 
  • NalorNalor UK
    edited October 2014
    Zsadist said:

Kinda sad that those of us with 8-5 jobs won't really be able to partake in alot of the Mon-Fri events. :( Oh well, can't please everyone.

HAHAH imagine being in EU/uk with a 8-5 job your rather working, getting home from work or SLEEPING so stop complaining least you can turn up to a few of them!

Date Day Time Event
    7th Oct Tuesday 00:00:00 Delosian Duel - sleeping
    13:00:00 Auto - working
    8th Oct Wednesday 02:00:00 Auto - sleeping
    15:00:00 Auto - working
    9th Oct Thursday 04:00:00 Auto - sleeping
    17:00:00 Auto - working
    10th Oct Friday 06:00:00 Auto - sleeping
    19:00:00 Crafting Competition - dont craft
    11th Oct Saturday 08:00:00 Auto - working
    21:00:00 Capture-the-Flag - yaya one event!
    12th Oct Sunday 10:00:00 Auto - working
    23:00:00 Iron Epicurean - going to bed
    13th Oct Monday 12:00:00 Auto - working
    14th Oct Tuesday 01:00:00 Auto - sleeping
    14:00:00 Auto - working
    15th Oct Wednesday 03:00:00 Auto - sleeping
    16:00:00 Auto - working
    16th Oct Thursday 05:00:00 Auto - sleeping
    18:00:00 Auto - just getting home
    17th Oct Friday 07:00:00 Auto - just going to work
    20:00:00 Walker's Tongue - whats that??
    18th Oct Saturday 09:00:00 Auto - working
    22:00:00 Storytelling Contest - whats that?
    19th Oct Sunday 11:00:00 Auto - working
    20th Oct Monday 00:00:00 Grand Quiz - sleeping
    Mudlet Bashing System for sale. Message if interested
    Riluo
  • HadrakHadrak Dorohedoro
    I can't wait for the Quiz. YOU NERDS ARE IN FOR IT.

Aarbrok
  • Moirean said:

I'm excited! The automated stuff sounds nifty (and promising for future events!), and crafting competitions are always really fun. I just wish there was a bashing event or something to test geography, like the scavenger hunts Lusternia and Imperian have.

Isn't that what the starfall is for?

I mean, you know, an amount.

Starfalls don't really test your knowledge the same way. In Imperian and Lusternia, they have events where you read clues about rooms/areas and go mark them off. Eg you'd read something like "Many lives were once lost here, as the Carnifex were born from death and fear" and you go oh snap, that's Jaru and go to the area and try to answer and if you're right the game gives you a thumbs up.
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    No, the starfall just means you can run around blindly, looking for meteorites. The other kind you actually have to search for specific things, people and places.

After a bit of thought, some feedback. I hope this doesn't come off too critical or whiny - free stuff is nice, and I'm excited we're having anything period!

However...

- No overall events. Why does the crafting contest need to be a scheduled event? This seems like it would be a good way for people to participate even if they can't attend specific events. There could have been a themed bardic and artisanal as well, as well as some sort of knowledge test or scavenger hunt for people to work on in the background for the duration of the event. We have two carnivals coded - maybe one of those could be opened up for people, in general, since not everyone can attend the events.

- Heavy RNG. A lot of these events don't really feel like ability/knowledge/skill play a factor - freezetag and bait the frog and survivor have huge RNG factors in their outcome, and they are half the auto-events...

- No weighting. Getting lucky and winning freezetag is worth just as much as winning the Delosian Duel. One of these takes significantly more effort and ability than the other.

- This is a personal preference, but I love stuff like lore and exploration and bashing, and none of these events really cater to that. I loved how Imperian's big tournament had a Great Hunt running in the background, and a bardic/artisanal going as well - it gave a huge range of options to do for all types of players.

- Combat events could be a bit more exciting/fresh. 3-5 man team duels. That king of the core arena game - I suggested it and I've still never seen it in action! It would be fun to see a bit of combat that isn't 1v1 or huge team rumbles.

Again, I'm really excited stuff is going on, so thank you guys for hosting this. Please don't read this as ranting, but just my feedback on the announced schedule.
    Areka
  • For -once- I am able to attend most of the events, 19 out of 25, with just a few Changes to my waking Schedule. The things I will be missing out on is Delosian duel (I don't fight), Iron epicurian, (middle of the night on work night) and Storytelling Contest, (Same as iron epicurian), and them some automated that will be held in the middle of the night. The system for events this year is Amazing, if you ask me, cause it caters to all time zones. If you can't attend, it's probably a lot of bad luck with work and such.

I also don't like that combat stuff should weigh more Point-wise than other things. Not everyone is involved in combat and even if you're not, you should be able to taste a win. Otherwise it's just unfair.

This will be the best anniversary ever. :D Lots of love to the admins!

ArekaAlissandra
    I'm not saying that combat stuff should weigh more than everything else. It was one example. I think crafting, quizzes, anything that requires skill and talent, should be worth more than the RNG of a freezetag as well.
  • I see your point, @Moirean‌ though the difference shouldn't be staggering. Add two points to each of the non-auto events on the third, second, and first place points. 

But I think it is designed such that regardless of timezone, everyone should have a roughly equal chance of participating in the same number and types of events. By weighting the named events (Duel, Epicurean,  etc) you disadvantage those not in the timezones with the majority of players that those events I suspect were scheduled for. Scheduled to maximize participation that is. 

But you have crazy people who will wake up at all hours, take strategic coffee breaks, have one of the receptionists fake an emergency phone call for you to escape a meeting, etc. So ultimately it doesn't matter. Though it would make the really skill based events worth more, thereby reducing the effectiveness of the "play everything and hope everyone's stamina gives out before mine" strategy. 
    Aryanne
  • Enjoyed the Delosian Duel. Hope everyone else did too! 
    TragerIshinAlissandra
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    I did! Just wish I had had an offense during it. :(
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    Could EVENTS RANKINGS also have a column showing city totals to help fire us up for participation? That would be fun, I think!
    TragerKonnorn
    Just a head's up to everyone - the automated events seem to be a little bit wobbly in when they are starting so I highly suggest to be there, ready to go, with some wiggle room before things start, just to be safe!
    KonnornAlissandraIshin
  • EleanorEleanor FOR SCIENCE
    I'm curious, are these events well-timed for anyone? I'm seeing more 'oh man can't be there' feedback than anything else, so I'm really wondering what the turnout is like.

I'm on the 'incredibly disappointed' list for the timetable too. Pretty much nothing lines up with any time I'm free, so I'm left feeling alienated and left out instead. Perhaps in the future the administration can pity those of us with jobs and provide some way to engage that doesn't require being on at peak time on weekdays.

Riluo
  • There are events starting -all- hours of the day over a course of 2 weeks. This is the first time I've seen a Schedule that actually does that and I honestly couldn't be happier. Some of the big events are still at difficult times for me, but not all, so can't really complain about that.

Personally, I love the way this anniversary is arranged. :)

Aryanne
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    I play at anti peak time and I've managed to get quite a few
    This is why I suggested that there be stuff that doesn't require physical participation at a certain time - things like the crafting contest could have been announced at the start, with a "turn in submissions by x day" to allow everyone to participate.
    Konnorn
  • SibattiSibatti Mamba dur Naya Amidst vibrant flora and trees
    As a 'peak' player the times are still pretty awkward for me as well. Half of the events are during the 9-5 workday.
  • It's like that for everyone atm though. That some events fall in the middle of the night or during work. It happens.

I want to give big Love to the Admins for fixing this, cause quite frankly, it's awesome and true, most won't be able to participate in all events, but everyone will be able to participate in some!

Unlike how it usually is, when the Iron epicurean and things like that constantly are at midnight GMT, which is in the middle of the night for europeans. It sucks, but really, it's been sucking for europeans for a long time now. This is the best sollution to the problem.

• SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    They seem to be working out pretty well for Raeche!

Trager
  • SibattiSibatti Mamba dur Naya Amidst vibrant flora and trees
    I think my problem with it moreso is that they are tallying up total points for all events for an overall placing with a fairly major credit prize at stake. It becomes an issue because only people who can avoid all real life commitments entirely can maximize their chances at getting on the overall winners' list.

If this is to be the model, then I would have preferred if it had been something like: you can only gain points for one of the two Auto-spawned events per day. You could still participate, of course (dem giftbags). It doesn't solve all of the timezone pain points of course, but would be closer to being something more manageable/even.
    Ishin
    They did that with games a few years ago, and people began gaming which one they joined, to stack their chances and it was deemed unsuccessful.
  • BenedictoBenedicto Tentacles Errywhere!
    edited October 2014
    I gave up being bothered about not being able to participate in this stuff a long time ago. Having a 9-5 AND being in the UK/Euro time zone means that any kind of event be it RP, Worldwide event or just these sorts of celebrations get missed 95% of the time. I'm actually happy I'll get to take part in the CTF event tonight. Even if it is the only one I get to take part in.
    KonnornAishiaAryanne
  • Events are deliberately spaced out with 13 hr intervals so that they occur at a rolling increment of 2 hrs each day (if it's 12 noon today, the next event is at 2pm tomorrow). The idea is for timezones to get more or less even access.

Over the course of the celebration, there is only one cycle (see: only the first and last events are at 0000). In theory, those who get to participate now probably not get to participate later, and vice versa. The fairness of the distribution will probably only be observable by the end of the entire cycle. I'd suggest waiting for those who participate now fall out for the later events.

Nonetheless, it is true that because the celebrations only last over two weeks, some people may have their stars aligned, while others will have everything simply clash regardless. This is especially so because of the weekends. For example, if you only get your inconvenient timings on weekends, it is more manageable for you to wake at 2/4/6am to participate.

It is also true that people with the privilege of having no life will get to attend more events than others. It is true that people with the privilege of having credits may get a slight edge in events. I think this is the nature of the game (and indeed most games). It's not something that the admin can or should control. I'd suggest taking comfort in the fact that you aren't a loser who's stuck on the game 19 hours a day with the only downtime spent sleeping (like yours truly). Your life is much richer and enjoyable for not being stuck in front of the computer all day.

If it turns out at the end of the celebrations that this distribution of timings is still inequitable and doesn't more or less accommodate everyone, I think the solution would be to either have the celebrations last over a longer period of time (to mitigate weekend effects), or have events in greater frequency, with a smaller time interval (< 13 hr intervals). This interval must also not a factor of 24, as that would allow a staggering of the timings.

My two cents.
    ArekaIlyonAlissandraHavenTragerAryanneXenia