GENERAL shield issues

Comments

• TragerTrager Raiding your underwear drawer.
    I feel like adding in some limiters to shield should come hand in hand with Praenomen/BB offensive capabilities then. If we're negating the main defense against the majority of their skills/kills, then we literally just hand the superiorority back to Vampire PK. I'm still a firm believer that those classes need some sort of massive overhaul in that they give entirely too much pressure on literally all fronts. Similar to the stupidity/paresis changes. It helped a fair number of classes, but really beefed up a few (Syssin comes to mind). So a class that the majority of heavy PKers can still nab kills with is shown a bit of difficultly with shield? The whole issue with BB/Prae was that there was nothing you could do to stop them.

If we're taking into account Riluo/Trager fight, the simple reaction there should have been hammer tat = dead Trager. Had he set me back on eq from shielding, he would have won, easily at that. Unfortunately his AI doesn't appear set up for that. With Sentinel I am waiting for a certain set of parameters to take effect, IE, limpveins, paresis and clumsiness, before I can move forward with the kill via throatcrush/slickness, while BB is pushing on all levels and simply has to choose which one they want to end it on.
    Indoran'i is back baby. It's go-... Oh.

Angwe
  • StrungStrung Halls of Hades
    edited June 2014
    Trager said:

I feel like adding in some limiters to shield should come hand in hand with Praenomen/BB offensive capabilities then. If we're negating the main defense against the majority of their skills/kills, then we literally just hand the superiorority back to Vampire PK. I'm still a firm believer that those classes need some sort of massive overhaul in that they give entirely too much pressure on literally all fronts. Similar to the stupidity/paresis changes. It helped a fair number of classes, but really beefed up a few (Syssin comes to mind). So a class that the majority of heavy PKers can still nab kills with is shown a bit of difficultly with shield? The whole issue with BB/Prae was that there was nothing you could do to stop them.

If we're taking into account Riluo/Trager fight, the simple reaction there should have been hammer tat = dead Trager. Had he set me back on eq from shielding, he would have won, easily at that. Unfortunately his AI doesn't appear set up for that. With Sentinel I am waiting for a certain set of parameters to take effect, IE, limpveins, paresis and clumsiness, before I can move forward with the kill via throatcrush/slickness, while BB is pushing on all levels and simply has to choose which one they want to end it on.

I think that ideally, since vampires have a timer on their offense, they should have some kind of timer to kill people too. Kind of like vodun was in other games, only the presence of blood and some tweaks would ideally mean that it can get the user killed as well.

Unfortunately, those with the most invested in any given thing are generally going to be statists when it comes to that thing. The classlead system was great when tri-trans was closer to the average but what I would call artifact-statism has been on the rise for a long time and looking for simple nerfs which don't add anything new to the thing being nerfed, that were considered fine for decades, like shield tattoo, is I think an example of this "artifact statism." You can buy more damage but anyone can get a shield tattoo, so don't think outside of the box, just nerf shield tattoo. Then nerf all other hindering and healing after that. Fights will be decided by the movement of offensive chess pieces and the more money you spend, the more pieces you have. I think there are less vocal players in IRE who don't want to play that game. But I've probably spent too much of my time as it is annoying people with these kinds of arguments.
    I am such an aaaalllphaaaaaarrrgh.
  • TragerTrager Raiding your underwear drawer.
    Addition to that, Sentinel, as well as a few other lock classes, are entirely more easy to code around then BB/Prae. In truth, the only real viable way to get a kill is through a lock. You can try the more standard route of asthma/slickness/anorexia, but that takes a very quick understanding of both their focus balance and their fitness capabilities. I can always try for asthma/slickness/(destroyedthroat/indifference), but that lies entirely on both paresis having knocked down parry, as well as focus balance for indifference. Most fighters these days have added in destroyedthroat/indifference changes that we used to try and avoid the normal triggers for fitness, etc (other lock breakers). There is still purify blood, restore, renew, tree tattoos, and purity ticks that can take your entire momentum and essentially reset it to nothing.

Just goes back to my original point: A BB/Praenomen is pushing you on literally every level. Mana, health (with artifacts) and up to three affs per round if they're slashing/slicing/insertattackofchoicehere.
    Indoran'i is back baby. It's go-... Oh.

• EzalorEzalor Emperor D'baen Canada
    edited June 2014
    There are indeed some of those abilities besides shield in existence and (you'll hate to hear this) the "plan" does include standardizing them. For example, Shamans with a 2 aff cure with no cooldown can prevent themselves from ever having affs stuck on them by spamming it. Teradrim Absorb is an example of a skill that is good - cures 2 affs, 10 second cooldown. You can play defensively with it and be very hard to kill but you need to use it smartly. Try to just tape down the button and you'll die. Use it incorrectly and you'll die. Syssin Shrug is an example of a problem skill: a skill that cures asthma, slickness, or anorexia, has no cooldown, and has no restrictions, which means Syssin become unlockable.

You're not even being PKed by something "overpowered," the fights with shields where both fighters are curing/turtling optimally means that no fight will end until someone runs out of something (or one person is playing one of the few classes in Aetolia that can solve shields). That's horrible PK design and horrible to play. Nobody's saying to remove shields completely - it's been said multiple times that it's a legit and needed strategy - but to make it so it's a decision that you have to make wisely rather than literally mashing your button 500 times. There's a legit reason why places where fights are forced/official (Sect arena, Hunting Grounds, admin-sanctioned arena events) have the bloodlust affliction which disables shielding after a certain period of time. Most classes simply cannot kill someone who decides to hold down a shield button no matter how much momentum they've gained.

And no, there is no managing a kelp stack with different strategy. You eat kelp, that's it. That's why it's a kelp stack; you stack kelp affs above asthma so that they can't conceivably cure it in time for your lock combination. With the perfect information available in Aetolia the combat paradigm is creating an offense that will beat -perfect- curing.

@Irruel that is indeed true and that is why this thread exists. The title says Bloodborn but it's really applicable to Aetolia combat in general. You can easily code in any if x then shield/fitness/aff cure/shed/shrug/whatever and keep yourself from ever dying. The idea is to make it so that even with that code, you can avoid it say 80% of the time, but the other 20% they will be able to power through it. That's the entire point of the thread, hate against infinite 100% effective turtling.

As far as the sameness of class designs, as someone who has nearly every lock class I find them interesting and different enough (obviously, or else I wouldn't keep spending 1200 credits to get each class). While the endgame is the same, the path/strategy to achieving that endgame is pretty different between Templars and Syssin and Indorani and Sentinels etc etc. Once you get into the finer intricacies of top tier fighting with each class you find the little timing attacks and extra mile things you can do vary vastly between each lock class. That is just my personal opinion, however, and at the core all of them still utilize the base concept of kelp stack -> asthma -> lock.
    Ashmer
  • AshmerAshmer Barefoot Adventurer Life
    Just to say this, I disagree with the point that vampires push an offense on all fronts.

Here's why:

For Bloodborn, one venom (even at 3.48 seconds) will never be enough to lock someone. Bloodmeld is a thing here, but with the nerf, there still isn't enough consistent pressure to lock. Bloodborn's only reliable route to kill is damage, and I agree that the momentum of a Bloodborn with a weapon rune and eq_recovery is very strong, it's a one-front offense. There is hindering and affliction stacking available in Mentis, which support this as a secondary strategy, but Mentis alone will never offer Bloodborn a kill route. Against someone with static curing it's possible to disrupt lock them, but it's no longer possible to keep someone perma-disrupted.

And again, I'm not saying Bloodborn aren't solid, but I disagree with the point on them being an "all-front" offense. Syssin and Luminary, for example, have a far wider range of affliction combinations available to them, as well as some really really potent hindering tactics when they get ahead that simply aren't available to Bloodborn.

For Praenomen, they have the same issue of only one venom available per combo, but they lose the mana pressure available to Bloodborn. Again, the artifacts are worth noting here, because a fully-artifacted Praenomen can literally damage someone out with nothing more than weapon swings and Mentis going to hinder someone. A Praenomen without artifacts isn't capable of this kind of damage, and while it's still a somewhat solid class they're in a really, really hard place because they lack any kind of approach to a lock - it's basically spam asthma and hope you don't eat kelp before they land slickness/anorexia/indifference. And THEN they hope you don't use Fitness before they Disrupt you.

Again, Disrupt is possible, and probably more viable with Praenomen due to the faster combination speed, but again, unless someone has fully static curing where they'll always, for example, cure paresis or impatience before confusion, it isn't actually a viable tactic except to hinder a little bit.

My issue with the turtling versus Bloodborn in particular is the resource drain - you can turtle until a Bloodborn runs out of blood very easily.

@Trager: You and I should have a peek at your sipping sets. Mostly what I see people die to against Bloodborn is poor sipping, or poor mana management and clotting. Or @Ezalor trolls you with stilltongue and you die to hidden recklessness. That happens, too. <.<

the way she tells me I'm hers and she is mine

open hand or closed fist would be fine

blood as rare and sweet as cherry wine

IshinTragerDourif
    edited June 2014
    Well meh, I didn't know the "plan" called for standardizing all defensive, hindering and healing abilities. I think that creates a game where you are just moving your offensive chess pieces and the more money you spend, the more pieces you have. I'm disappointed since Imperian already went there and Imperian is nearly a dead game. Even its remaining die-hards and trolls who have nothing nice to say about me concede that it's declined substantially from its glory days. I don't think that's a coincidence or that MUDs are necessarily doomed and Imperian just happened to fall first, I think that artifact-statism has finally seeped into our conceptions of balance, reaching a point where the most established players subconsciously form a consensus that cuts out everything independent of artifact-related strengths. A flat nerf to shield tattoo is one of the last bulwarks here. We used to say "if he's shielding a lot, you're probably doing too much damage, maybe you should take off your artifacts." I haven't heard anyone suggest the removal of artifacts in years, now that I think about it. This is the end of Aetolia guys, I'm serious this time! This time it really is the end! I still love you guys, though :)
  • SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    You can always smack them with a resto break.

• DraimanDraiman Dr. Drai
    On the subject of Praenomen being overwhelming/op/strong/solid:

Could we get some logs, please? There's only two tactics that I really know of that could actually kill someone, and since Feichin doesn't have Prae and I haven't PK'd in a bit I seriously don't believe anyone else uses them or even knows of them. Theory craft and talk and numbers are pretty but I'd like some concrete evidence, please.
    "You ever been divided by zero?" Nia asks you with a squint.

Ashmer
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    I agree, @Ezalor.
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    edited June 2014
    @Strung artifacts aren't actually overwhelming for/against most of the classes. Bloodborn are probably the only class you truly have to artimatch to fight, and even then they are beatable if you outplay them.

I think you're getting the wrong idea that people only shield against stuff that does too much damage. Shielding is rampant with or without artifacts, with or without damage. For example, fighting a Tekura class, they have to break both arms and then manage to break both legs before you cure a single arm in order to get a kill. That's straight up impossible. If you shield you cut their limb damage right in half which means your preresto will greatly outpace them. That has nothing to do with damage and nothing to do with artifacts. I've had fights with Valingar where he managed to break both my arms WITH damage already on my legs. It's a situation I should be 100% dead in, he has me massively behind to get to that point. However, he would only manage to break 1 leg before I managed to cure an arm and tape down my shield button until all my limbs were at 0% damage.

Aetolia HAS taken a stand against artifacts. For example, we introduced diminishing returns on stat scaling where the higher your stat gets the less actual impact you get from it, meaning no massive str people going around bashing people to death.
    Ashmer
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    I made a newb in Imperian a while ago. I played for a few months, but it's really not very fun there. There aren't many people and 90% of the interactions are OOC - like, there may be activity, but it's all via rings and clans, and IG stuff like CT/GT/etc is rarely used, which means if you aren't in the main combat ring or any clans (ie a new player) the game is boring as heck, which is terrible for getting new people to join.
    AshmerIshinFurtum
  • @Draiman‌
    Maybe I misunderstood, but I think the comment about praenomen strength was specifically regarding people artifacted for damage.

Switch syssin, go to Rowena and slap her face with your gloves. Not so say you can't kill her, but let her hit you at least once and you'll see something fun.

Ishin
    @Irruel I still have a higher audit in Syssin than in Prae...

Irruel said:

@Draiman‌
    Maybe I misunderstood, but I think the comment about praenomen strength was specifically regarding people artifacted for damage.

Switch syssin, go to Rowena and slap her face with your gloves. Not so say you can't kill her, but let her hit you at least once and you'll see something fun.

Actually, in my experience even Mack Truck Praenomen aren't too difficult for Syssin, and this is without any defensive artifacts. You just have to know how to counter them.

And the comment about Praenomen (the comment was actually vampires as a whole) strength is that they have a full-frontal offense.

Also, I can't quote @Ezalor's last two posts enough.

@Ezalor‌ artifacts and general stuff are definitely better in Aetolia but I can't grok getting rid of shield tattoo like this. Just don't like it. He should be not shielding because he would rather attack, not because something as simple as shield got nerfed.
    edited June 2014
    Well again, the moment you are behind you can just spam shield to reset the fight. That's not very fun to play against and I can't imagine it being very fun to play either. I would 10/10 times rather take a death and then go review the log and see what I can do better than sit there and shield infinitely until the stars align for me to sneak in a kill and hope the other person doesn't spam shield.
    IshinHaven
    Ezalor said:

Well again, the moment you are behind you can just spam shield to reset the fight. That's not very fun to play against and I can't imagine it being very fun to play either.

It's only fun to play when you come back and win. :3

Ishin
    Yeah but imagine if both people are doing it!
    Ishin

Ishin
    Actually I imagine it more to be like:

TragerAshmerRiluoHavenStrungXeniaSheirosia
    You just won this thread.

TragerXenia
  • RiluoRiluo The Doctor
    Honestly if shield was slower each time it might solve a lot of the issues for all classes.

Also tweaked thread name as it is a general concern about shields ONLY not just how Bloodborn function. Although I still wish sunder functioned better, but I will add it in the next round for review.

Abhorash says, "Ve'kahi has proved that even bastards can earn their place."

Trager
  • Draiman said:

@Irruel I still have a higher audit in Syssin than in Prae...

Syssin are an 'average' audit. And syssin can kill praenomen - that isn't my point at all.

Look at the damage dished out against an average audit.

• Strung said:

Well meh, I didn't know the "plan" called for standardizing all defensive, hindering and healing abilities.

There is no such plan. Or at least not one that any of us would be aware of. The interaction between offensive and defensive abilities is, however, a problem, and something does need to change. What exactly this change will be is yet to be determined.

Defensive effects do need to remain effective, as unhinderable offenses lead to numerous major problems, but a 'standardization' of sorts seems both beneficial and inevitable, given the ongoing developments.
    Strung said:

I'm disappointed since Imperian already went there and Imperian is nearly a dead game.

I haven't played there in years, but I do look through their announces and such every now and then, and their defensive effects seem much stronger than ours, so I rather doubt that any population disparities are a result of the ability to turtle, or lack thereof.

• As easily a top ten pk'er in Imperian, (likely a top five), with a wide range of professions over the course of years, and having helped substantially (read: daily if not hourly) during the past few new class betas, let me try to clear up some stuff.

@Moirean - 100% right. I'd go so far as to say over 90% of all interaction there is OOC. Our web analogue doesn't make you quit on log out, most people stay in the same major tether based rings constantly. It's built in IRC with added team combat utility at this point.

@Strung - No one will ever say that that knows what they're talking about, re: 'combat worse now in Imperian than ever before/glory days'. The glory days you are talking about weren't glorious at all. I was a deathknight back then, and we were insanely OP with such things as old metrazol, old calotropis, old possess/surprise demon, and old battlecry and old paralysis. But you didn't NEED any of that shit then because no 99.9999999% of the playerbase had linear curing or none at all. Dsl curare/aconite and cleave. Shit dude I distinctly remember arcing cyanide/voyria at the Springs back in the day just to see who died from no immunity.

Nowdays you have autocuring, which eliminates latency from the equation of defensive combat, which is a big deal. It's going to get you killed fast in 1v1 if you don't have clientside triggers and toggles to handle priority cure shifting for defending against different kill routes, but once you understand the small unit tactics and shit, you make those trigs and defense is pretty universally solid for all players in that game. Offense is where everything really comes in these days, how smart you can code/what tricks you know/situational awareness/ability to rapidly switch pace/tactics is what top tier pk is all about there. Ask Kryss, Septus, Azefel/Fazlee or anyone else that I worked with in the betas.

Combat there is apples to oranges with Aetolia, in -nearly- every sense, barring the one being discussed in this thread, that they both pretty well share.

tl;dr - As @Ezalor said, shield spamming/insert your turtle tactic here (I don't know if you guys have prismatic barrier or not), is a universal problem for all classes/professions, and Imperian combat is at a completely different tier than where you guys are at now, it's also more balanced than it has ever been, and more balanced than any IRE game I've ever played in the pk scene. You have limited exceptions (see: fast monk, fast priest, sabreknight), but for the most part any class can kill any class when utilized properly. I'm living proof.
    IshinSeir
  • Perhaps shield ought to be replaced with a "block the next incoming" ability?
    This is a significantly weaker effect, but then each class could be given something in addition.

Classes with shield abilities could get a buffed version. Maybe the luminary shield blocks the next 3 attacks, while the shaman shield stays up for 3 seconds after the first time it is hit.

Classes without any shield skill currently, could get new abilities to supplement the significantly weaker shield tattoo. A lycan may activate a mode that gives them a health burst/aff cure the next time they're hit. A syssin might get a super-avoidance effect.

Note: the core idea of shield tatt still adhered to: any aggressive movement will cancel the effects.

Why go to the effort?
    Because some classes turtle better than others. Some classes rely on shield more than others. Some classes would suffer more than others if shield tatt is nerfed. By addressing each class separately, each class can be balanced properly.

Example: syssin get awesome active curing? Their shield tatt supplement might block damage but not affs.

AshmerStrung
  • ExodusExodus New Zealand
    edited June 2014
    Wall of text, can't add line breaks. The term "playing defensively" doesn't sit well with me in this tread. Shielding repeatedly isn't playing defensively. Shielding is abandoning everything to not die. It's a reset for both sides if done consecutively (how well the user was doing aside). To me, as a Syssin, playing defensively might be throwing out clumsiness or magic impaired a bit more often (or stupidity/paralysis back in the day) because I think I'm taking too much damage. I'm not full throttle anymore, but the fight continues and I've not lost the momentum I had built up - just paused it for a few seconds here and there, because those afflictions need curing just like everything else. Defensively for a tekura user might be a change of blocks or stances to those better suited for the purpose (unsure as to actual state of tekura atm). 2-3 shields in a row is basically admitting you they had you dead to rights. If or how that should be enforced should be approached with this opinion in mind. Also, as I believe @Strung‌ first said, homogenisation sucks. Also also, example of Syssin having awesome active curing - never thought I'd read that. Syssin affliction defence has been through a number of iterations already - from unique and unreliable, to overpowered and reliable, to mostly standardised. Homogenisation should not be the final nail. Not the point you were going for with your example, but was mentioned elsewhere.
  • @Exodus
    It wasn't a serious statement, though it would be fair to say that their lock breaking is second to none, and I personally would take shrug over bloodboil any day.

It was an example that was chosen because I thought it would not cause a derail, and for what it is worth I am against fitness being in survival. If a class is lacking a vlock breaker, then give them one. People complain about shamans having a 10% resistance to mental affs AND a passive cure AND a bloodboil clone BUT you get one locked and that is it. I'd happily trade the second two for a single breaker skill.
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    aff resistance is pure craziness. Either you should be immune or not, or able to shrug it with an active skill or not.
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    I just hate the pure rng of it. And the fact that, unless it was changed in the last liaison round and I missed it, there is no internal cool down. Illidan ignored a full dwhisper combo more than once in a fight against him. Talk about a complete momentum killer.