Short Questions

Comments

• ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    Do we have a guess as to when the lycan changes are going to be launched?
  • DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.
    Didn't one of the admin say very soon in a recent thread?

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

• HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    Soon is always the answer! Never forget.  :P
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
  • I feel so out of touch with this game, and that makes me sad. :(
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    It's never too late to reengage with it.
  • I'm so out of touch I posted in the wrong thread. :P

So, relevant: what's a good start to get re-engaged? Everything I try I just burn out quickly, which is very upsetting. I used to be very enthusiastic about everything and now I just stay in my Haven and am occasionally snarky (which isn't even original any more, everyone does it!).

• Try to rekindle friendships with people Ezrax hasn't talked to.
    • Get really excited about a tradeskill.
    • Take steps to turn Ezrax to the other side of the game's conflict.
    • Do something off the wall, like try to get work as a playwright or bartender.
    • Engage in a takeover of an Order and attempt to turn it into a cult.
    • Get Ezrax a sex change and smoke cactus weed constantly.
    • Proclaim yourself the King of Mournhold. Behave accordingly.
    • Attempt a torrid and controversial romance with AN INNOCENT MAIDEN OF THE LIGHT.
    • Join a new guild and get pumped about it.
    • Play a new character.
    Teani
  • Lin said:
    • Try to rekindle friendships with people Ezrax hasn't talked to.

That's one of my favourite things to do.

• Get really excited about a tradeskill.

I did get furniture crafting recently, I really do need to outfit the ole Riad...

• Take steps to turn Ezrax to the other side of the game's conflict.

I'm pretty happy on Team Fang.

• Do something off the wall, like try to get work as a playwright or bartender.

My off-beat attempts at philosophy tend to be popular when people are receptive.

• Engage in a takeover of an Order and attempt to turn it into a cult.

Man, I do this so many times it's not funny. Except when I'm successful the Gods die (Khepri, Ysmali...)

• Get Ezrax a sex change and smoke cactus weed constantly.

I...

• Proclaim yourself the King of Mournhold. Behave accordingly.

There's already like four of those.

• Attempt a torrid and controversial romance with AN INNOCENT MAIDEN OF THE LIGHT.

I've basically got a reputation for doing this already, it never ends well.

• Join a new guild and get pumped about it.

My Guild's pretty cool already.

• Play a new character.

I can't stand the grind.

Great suggestions, thanks. Now all I need is the support of others in-game when I attempt a paradigm shift of some kind. :)
    • Make excuses!
    AarbrokYusriHadoryuHaven
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    Start pking EVERYONE.
    ValdusEzalor
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    edited March 2014
    So...werewolves. When we say, 'werewolf' are we talking about this..

[spoiler]
    [/spoiler]

Or this...

[spoiler]
    [/spoiler]

Or is it just..whichever you want?? I've read over the flavor lines and some seem to suggest biped, and some seem to suggest quadruped.
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    This:

[spoiler]image[/spoiler]
    LinPerilunaArbreIosyneCalipsoSaritaAarbrok
  • PhoeneciaPhoenecia The Merchant of Esterport Somewhere in Attica
    Ishin said:
    So...werewolves. When we say, 'werewolf' are we talking about this..

[spoiler]
    [/spoiler]

Or this...

[spoiler]
    [/spoiler]

Or is it just..whichever you want?? I've read over the flavor lines and some seem to suggest biped, and some seem to suggest quadruped.
    Generally, whichever one you want, I think. The flavor text is supposed to be kind of vague since a lot of people would probably be up in arms if it was ruled 'lycans are supposed to be this way, end of story'. At least, that's the impression I've got. I don't remember if the admin ever ruled that lycans are supposed to be biped or quadruped.
    Arbre
    I believe it's left open to interpretation. I'm hazarding a guess, but it seems that the messages were written so as not to imply a specific configuration. I've seen lots of people RP'ing both.
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    agree amongst your own pack?
  • I largely imagine that players move between the two differing forms. With how often players find themselves manipulating objects with their hands (doors, vials, needles, etc) when they're transformed, they often tend to be more along the bipedal imagery for me and less of the "mega action dire wolf".
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    I've always figured it was a matter of preference/comfort for the individual wolf. Anger finds it extremely uncomfortable to stand on his hind legs in wolf form and only does it in moments of extreme need, like when circumstances force him to need to mount a horse while wearing the wolf's skin.
    Lin's wulf form is very large and heavy, so she goes on all fours - pausing for your stupid jokes - unless she absolutely needs to stand up.
    SlypheXavin
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    I figured they were humanesque, they CAN ride horses.
    Mkay, cool. Thanks for all the input guys. I had talked with @Lin about it before, and we had agreed that it was open to interpretation. I just asked here to see if everyone else pretty much shared that same opinion. I'm glad you guys do. I've always RP'd Ishin being more or less quadrupedal, and I think that when a couple of different kinds of changes happen to him, moving him up to biped.
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • EzalorEzalor Emperor D'baen Canada
    ...did you name your wolf form Anger? Cause that totally fits with the whole Angwe = Angry thing.

The horses thing has always been weird. Earthenformed Teradrim are supposed to be all hulking, gigantic, massive, and yet they fit just fine on a donkey without breaking its back.
    Setne
    Clearly, it's Donkey from Shrek. :D
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    Lin
    A long time ago in one of those uStreams, Galleus said they were supposed to be bipedal.  I like the direwolf, so my solution to this was to write my desc with one sentence implying she CAN stand on two legs, and then just RP that she never does.
    XavinIshin
  • Ezrax said:
    Great suggestions, thanks. Now all I need is the support of others in-game when I attempt a paradigm shift of some kind. :)
    Count me in, I need some fun stuff!
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    Kaeus said:
    Ezrax said:
    Count me in, I need some fun stuff!
    Join the Black Sun and help spread the Light!

¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    AlexinaRiluo
  • edited March 2014
    @ishin
    @arbre @angwe

Barrkesh was (does he still exist?) bipedal. In his bear form he was basically humanoid with a bear head - he could even talk. This from the visions of the past from the needle in Ashtan.

Then, despite seeing the visions being a requirement of sorts for everyone in the guild, it became immediately popular for the majority of people to describe themselves as quadrupedal bears.

I then spent a bit of RP here and there over time explaining it (since this question comes up a lot). We were told at the time that the power to change forms was a kind of seamlore, which basically meant lycans could change the balance between beast and man/woman within. So the explanation I posed, and which people seemed to accept, was that we could choose how far to change that balance - all the way, or midway.

These days, with different devs and an apparent scrapping of all that Ashtan stuff, I have no idea if that is even the official explanation for how lycans can shift at all. I might ask the question in the lore thread sometime.

tl;dr
    It's your choice, but only because players ignored the evidence and examples in the game. They were supposed to be bipedal.

Edit:
    At one point I had descs for bipedal and quadrupedal forms. In quadrupedal form I was quite anti-social, not responding to any forms of communication and not using mounts. I also tended to avoid cities, and used a different strategy in team fights.
    IshinMoirean
    Bears can easily be bipedal though, yeh?  Wolves can go up on two legs, but not balance and walk like that.  My answer from Galleus was specifically pertaining to werewolves.  Seems logical to me that werebears would be bears because bears can do whatever.
    Can we get a dislike button, please?  /stare @Lin
    IshinSetneHaven
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Aww, honey. It's not like it's unbearable.
    LinSlypheDraiman