Small Ideas - AIN'T NO COMBAT THREAD

Comments

• Eh, do you mean buying a lesson package for a newbie?
  • It would be an interesting concept for those elder son a guild can donate their lessons to the Guild to make a pool for newbies. Make it something like a newb can only get 100-200 lessons from the guild and only before they reach a certain level? 

On on saying that what happens now if a newb invests in the wrong thing? Is there a way they can get lessons back?

Politics
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    Seems like the kind of thing that would never happen though.
  • No, I mean like.. Well, it would have to be coded obviously. But just like the city storage or whatever.

I buy a lesson package for (Templar) and they get a lesson package in storage, to be doled out by a secretary or the GM or whoever/whatever it is dictated. Heck, then you can have it be a guild reward, a perk of promotion past GR3, etc. I mean, that part would be on the guild, but basically I'd like a way to be able to provide those true noobs with a bit of a bump.

I can do it myself, and I have, but if I'm not around I'd like it to be available for the guild. It's a longshot, but I had a good idea and figured I'd throw it out there!
    ErzsebetTeaniGwenith
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Gwenith said:

@moirean: She/he/it isn't calling you out... Just fixing grammar. Why is this a competition on who bugged it first?

He started the derail by cursing and criticizing. I was not competing, but defending myself.
    ArekaGwenithRasharTrigru
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    edited November 2014
    I wasn't trying to call you out or anything. I was just commenting on how the bug's been around so long, it's become a shared experience for everyone who's played !newSents.

And that's not a shot at our volunteers or anything, either, I know how they do a metric *ton of work.

I had warm fuzzies after half a 211 and missed y'all, including you, @Moirean.

I'm sorry I caused a thing.

/derail

Edit: this is really hard on a phone :/
    Where have you been anyways? You kinda just vanished!
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    edited November 2014
    Can't play. Win8.1 (or more likely something I did) has...mangled my laptop.

I'm balls-deep in my Opticianry apprenticeship anyway, and with each passed exam, I get a 1$ raise. Bolstering this, I'm on the eve of swapping my 2008 Dodge Dakota for my brother's old PT Cruiser which, while not glamorous, will take the bite out of the gas expense of my 344 mile weekly drive between work in Bedford and class once a week in Fisherville, VA. So, hopefully I'll be able to build an actually decent PC soon (modded Skyrim!!!!!)

I'm working hard for once, on something more than 'go to work to buy gas to... go to work,' and I feel good.

This should maybe go in another thread, though?

Edit: oh, also I quit smoking... tobacco. I use a PV now.
    MoireanTragerAldricXeniaTeaniHaven
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    I know I'm super needy but could at least we get an input on what this sort of thing would take? IE what sort of time investment or complications are involved in coding something like this? I'll not bring it up again, I just find myself having more designs I want to make and stocking the shop becoming rather unwieldy.

Idea #4161 Section: unassigned Support: 2
    2014/11/29 16:47:42: Forging shelves would be a huge benefit for the forging community. We have crafting shelves now, which are awesome. However, in order to stock a shop (at least mine!) fully, even just with Longswords as an example - there are currently ten designs, and need at least three longswords per design (two speed ones and a 140/130 split for STRIKE) - so this means thirty longswords floating around until purchase. Alternatively, if we could utilize a crafting type shelf for forging, I could safely stock half of this and individuals could then customize as they deemed fit. tl;dr: A crafting shelf for forging where we can upload our designs like other crafting shelves, and people can then detail to their heart's desire assuming the materials are in the cache or shop floor.

Additionally, would there be a way to have a PRICE ALL SINGLE command? Or by stat threshold (by minimum specific stat?)

Examples:

PRICE ALL SINGLE LONGSWORD SHELF 3 4000 - would price all longswords individually at 4000 on the 3rd shelf instead of having to go through and do it one at a time.

PRICE LONGSWORD SPEED 137 SHELF 3 4000 - would price all longswords with a minimum speed stat of 137 to shelf 3 for 4000. Or Damage, or w/e.
    IshinIaneaMoirean
    They exist in other IREs. The fact that they exist elsewhere makes it clear that they CAN be done.
  • OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    edited November 2014
    Moirean said:

They exist in other IREs. The fact that they exist elsewhere makes it clear that they CAN be done.

While this statement leaves out some very valid counterpoints that we should always keep in mind (for example, our crafting or shop systems may not function like theirs), it IS possible.

It would take a relatively large amount of work, but that doesn't mean it's unlikely to happen. Just has to happen at the right time.
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
    Areka
    Thanks for the response, @Oleis. It's hard to tell from down here how much investment stuff needs to be made. Some of the really awesome upgrades we've had (tags, dyekits, the current crafting shelves) didn't seem to take terribly long (though I also don't know how long was spent on them versus other duties).
    Areka said:

Thanks for the response, @Oleis. It's hard to tell from down here how much investment stuff needs to be made. Some of the really awesome upgrades we've had (tags, dyekits, the current crafting shelves) didn't seem to take terribly long (though I also don't know how long was spent on them versus other duties).

The problem is less how long that functionality would take to cook up (which can be measured in hours rather than days) and more about viciously hacking it into shop code, which is archaic and essentially booby-trapped.
    [---]
    ArekaXenia
    Is it something that could be put into mob code and make use of shopkeeper mobs? I would gladly pay for an upgrade like this.
    Erzsebet
    Unfortunately runs the same basic paths. :/
    [---]
    ArekaIshin
    Bummer.

Thanks for the info though! I really appreciate hearing back from ya'll!
    IshinErzsebet

Idea #4176 Section: unassigned Support: 0
    2014/12/06 09:00:26: Orders: given that admin presence comes and goes, it's easy for things to result in a state where one entire side of the game gets consistent blessings while the other side doesn't. This presents a clear benefit to half the game (and debatable hurt to the others) with no way to fix it - for darkies, currently, we haven't had an active god to bless us for RL months, while lifers get free blessings on CD from their divine. My suggestion is to let order heads not only boon, but also bless. This would be costly - 3x-5x as expensive as an order boon - but would serve as an org blessing for a RL day. This would let us create our own blessings at a very heavy cost and would help ensure things aren't unbalanced because admin presence changes.
    IshinRiluo
  • AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    By making it super costly, you're going to make it super hard for small orders to enjoy the benefit of blessings, while big orders will be blessed permanently.
    TragerTeaniAlissandra
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    Why do we need blessings outside of RP again? The +1 Stat bonus? I was under the impression that with the miasma buff and ylem bonuses, blessings were just cosmetic. 
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    edited December 2014
    It's much more of an edge in pk than you'd think. Top end fighting is often just murdering someone with the bleeding edge of advantage. Even more noticeable bashing for me.
    IshinXeniaLuna
  • A gaint big button that blesses every org via their patron once a year!

Politics
    Or we could just remove the mechanical PvP benefits of blessings.
    [---]
    TrigruHavenAngweSaritaLuna
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    edited December 2014
    I mean, blessings are cool. But I've legit lost fights in the past because I wasn't blessed and the other guy was. Sometimes that extra teeny bit of dmg or hp can really make the fight. It's rare, but it does happen. Only thing I really care about from blessings is GRACE, lol.

To be honest I've never run into someone who could say 'I can beat SoAndSo with a blessing, but without they just maul me.' unless they're like...not tri-trans or something.

Edited to add: I think blessings are really more of a morale thing, you know? BAM login. Oh [self-censored!] yeah, blessed by Slyphe *fistpump* vs 'Oh look, another week. No blessing.'

Just one of those things, I guess.
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • Blessings mainly bashing and grace, for me. That extra +1 is nice to have in a fight, but shouldn't determine the outcome.
    IshinHaven
    edited December 2014
    As a basher, the +1 is a pretty big deal.

It's also really frustrating to login to my alts and see that they permanently have blessings just from being in Duiran and Enorian, whereas darkies don't even have anyone we can offer to try to earn one. We tried and Slyphe gave us crabs instead.
    Ishin
  • TragerTrager Raiding your underwear drawer.
    edited December 2014
    Please, can we find another way to handle the blessing issue outside of, "Oh, just remove the overwhelming desire for them!"?

Edit: Not to mention, this is deeeeefinitely one of those tradeoffs. When Trager left the shadow tether his most recent time, Chakrasul + Ivoln were makin' it happen for Bloodloch and Spines. Duiran was left with Aishia booning the Council for real life weeks.

Editx2: Please, lets try like, any of the ideas above before making a really neat, RP/Non-RP mechanic basically word-vomit that will mean nothing (Or next to it.)
    Indoran'i is back baby. It's go-... Oh.

IshinErzsebet
    edited December 2014
    The only reason I suggested the high cost was to make sure they still stayed as something you work for. Bigger orders might benefit, but a single person offering millions of essence could offset the cost, too.

Maybe just introduce a mechanic where people can go to the god's priest NPC. Every 2-5 million essence they offer can be traded in for a blessing.
  • TragerTrager Raiding your underwear drawer.
    Absolutely, something like that would be fucking amazing over just removing any and all benefits.
    Indoran'i is back baby. It's go-... Oh.

Ishin
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    Yeah I am not a big fan of removing the benefit just cause it's desirable >_>
    Trager
    Remind me next time to add a question mark and make it clear I'm stimulating discussion, not making decisions :stuck_out_tongue:
    [---]
    ObynTragerRiluo