MAD 2: MADDEN'S MADDENING.

Comments

• SolariaSolaria Charlotte, NC
    Ishin said:

There goes another 1-200 bucks if you've got one of them auto-door opener things. Might just be a kink in the chain or strap or whatever otherwise, Sol. Might want to have hubby investigate.

Yeah, he told me to wait. He'll probably take a look at it. When we bought the house, it was off the track. But with the sound it made, and the upper bowing it was doing, I think it is more than that this round. As long as we can get it back level, I say unicorns it and just leave the stupid thing closed. Hubby can make it into his mancave or something.

• Just kick it, Sol. Works 20% of the time, all the time.
    SolariaAryanne
  • SolariaSolaria Charlotte, NC
    Rashar said:

Just kick it, Sol. Works 20% of the time, all the time.

I'm kind of short. To get to where the thing is stuck, I'd have to fly and kick. Got a trampoline I could borrow or something?

TeaniAryanneNola
  • Knock it down with a broomstick, and then kick it. Works with spiders.
    SolariaAryanneNola
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    Get a sledgehammer, Sol. Or a rubber mallet. Those things don't weigh much and convey kinetic energy like a beast.

I rage at living in the middle of fucking nowhere. It's nice and quiet, like I like it, but man. Staring at fucking leaves all day is for the birds. That and I can't get decent internet out here at all. Fuck you, 3G Wifi.
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    SolariaFurtumAryanne
  • Impending rage mode enabled.

While classes are going on, I tend to have jobs that I consider somewhat meaningful (for a college student anyway) that have a decent bit of responsibility and management associated with them. I'm going after a business degree too, so management is without a doubt something I enjoy.

While summer is here, I'm working a clerk position at a pharmacy I've been at for 5 years now doing the most basic, not-exactly-difficult duties. My current manager knows nothing about management, but has let her position go entirely to her head, using excuses to deny any ideas I offer forth with, "I'm the manager, we're not going to do that because I said so." She takes every opportunity she can to flaunt this around, as if to make it quite clear everybody else is below her, despite the fact that this position is likely the apex of what she'll be doing with her life to come.

I show her numbers to back up some info for how to maximize profit on items we're stocking, get shot down with that reason. Bring in a textbook from a retail management (hi, exactly what she's doing) class that has some neat ideas, get told she's the manager, she knows what she's doing, and doesn't need any help. The same manager that's lost 3 employees over the last year as a direct result of not wanting to work for her.

HNNNNNNG. tl;dr going from a meaningful job you were satisfied with and could grow from to one absolutely opposite in every sense of the word blows big 'ol unicornsing unicorns. Inept management too. /Fliptable

Ashmer
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    Slyphe said:

Impending rage mode enabled.

While classes are going on, I tend to have jobs that I consider somewhat meaningful (for a college student anyway) that have a decent bit of responsibility and management associated with them. I'm going after a business degree too, so management is without a doubt something I enjoy.

While summer is here, I'm working a clerk position at a pharmacy I've been at for 5 years now doing the most basic, not-exactly-difficult duties. My current manager knows nothing about management, but has let her position go entirely to her head, using excuses to deny any ideas I offer forth with, "I'm the manager, we're not going to do that because I said so." She takes every opportunity she can to flaunt this around, as if to make it quite clear everybody else is below her, despite the fact that this position is likely the apex of what she'll be doing with her life to come.

I show her numbers to back up some info for how to maximize profit on items we're stocking, get shot down with that reason. Bring in a textbook from a retail management (hi, exactly what she's doing) class that has some neat ideas, get told she's the manager, she knows what she's doing, and doesn't need any help. The same manager that's lost 3 employees over the last year as a direct result of not wanting to work for her.

HNNNNNNG. tl;dr going from a meaningful job you were satisfied with and could grow from to one absolutely opposite in every sense of the word blows big 'ol unicornsing unicorns. Inept management too. /Fliptable

There will be a day when you get to where you want to be. Unfortunately until then you need to suck it up and let that captain sink that ship. Currently, your job is the means to an end, paying bills and essentials while you attend class and pursue something greater (I'm making assumptions). Her end happens to be right there, so take a small measure of comfort knowing that, and in a few years you'll be doing much better.

Any time I think I'm having a rough time with work (much less now that I have an actual career) I just remember the time I was a grave digger. It always seems better in comparison to a grave digger.

PS: I still want my gangster rap
    SlypheIshinIosyne
  • Oh shit I forgot about the rap. OOH. I so bought a candle.
  • Rashar said:

Oh shit I forgot about the rap.

Oh god, I did too. Time to get writing. I'm so sorry.

Jensen
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    Your jail time in the Ironmaw should make you a better rapper, like TI and Lil Wayne
    OmeiSlypheSetneFurtumTeaniHavenIshinAryanne
  • TIL Weezy needs to get life, without a guitar.
  • PiperPiper Master Crumbs
    Men. I hate you all.
    SolariaOmeiAshmer
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    There are some good ones out there, @Piper. Apparently they are just very difficult to find.

IshinStathanPerilunaEmelle
  • AshmerAshmer Barefoot Adventurer Life
    I'm probably gonna be out of commission for the next few days or so still. I'll be doing some behind-the-scenes bugfixes for Serenity and writing a handful of 100 themes prompts (shameless plug), but mostly I'm just napping and getting over the last of this infection/virus/wtfever that's been cramping my style this week.

the way she tells me I'm hers and she is mine

open hand or closed fist would be fine

blood as rare and sweet as cherry wine

LimIshin
  • It's not a big complaint, but the CNN headline for the Brazil/Mexico game in the World Cup irritates me. "World Cup: Brazil fails to shine against Mexico". It's not that Brazil didn't play well, it's that Mexico played great too. Guillermo Ochoa (the Mexican goal keeper) blocked so many shots that would have scored, he was the player of the game. Describing it as Brazil failing to 'shine' bugs me.
    AshmerIshinNolaFurtum
  • The company I work for went into voluntary administration this morning. We all got made redundant and told that our pay from the last fortnight, superannuation for the last quarter and all the annual leave I've saving up all year for when our baby is born (in 3-4 weeks), so I can take a few weeks off after the birth... is gone. Also my most recent expense claim.

The government will see that we get paid out for as much of that as possible, but that might be 6 months from now.

So I've been calling around and I'm confident I'll be working somewhere new by next week, but I'm still short close to ten grand, with rent due tomorrow and wherever I start I won't have any holiday pay so I can't take time off for the baby.

Right now?
    Fuck everyone. Is how I feel.
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    @Irruel - Damn bro that sucks. I hope you get that worked out dude.

...wtf is voluntary administration? Is that like declaring bankruptcy?
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • A bit.
    When things get bad enough, it becomes illegal (fraud) for a company to continue trading. Sometimes they do anyway and get in trouble, and sometimes they do anyway and manage to trade out of it.

In this case, my boss informed the appropriate government department and an administration company was appointed to take over. They now direct the company. Sometimes they choose to take a risk and try to trade out of it, in which case there is no bankruptcy (assuming they succeed). They aren't big on risk taking though, and in my case they've closed the business and are now selling off the assets and taking the people that owe money to court to try and get as much as possible.

After a month, they then begin the process of divvying up the money among creditors. Employees are the first on the list to receive anything, but the process is so convoluted it makes bureaucrats cry.
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    Sex has nothing to do with it. There are just a lot of horrible and or crazy people out there.

>_> I can name my fair share of 'evil' women.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    IshinFurtumMinaraelPiper
  • DemarcusDemarcus Black Flagon Inn
    Slyphe said:

@Slyphe Ohhhh, has she used the "That doesn't fit with our current business model." yet? I get that one ALL the time. Example...

Me: "Hey, you know what would be great? Having more than 1 low horse locomotive on each yard job. Because, you know, handling more than 4 cars at a time is actually more efficient. Plus they can actually stop when and where they intend to instead of being pushed down hills and through intersections by the loads of soybean oil they're pulling!"
    Morons that have no business in business: "That's not in our current business model."
    Me: "But, we're a railroad. We need locomotives because rail cars are not self-propelling."
    Morons: "That isn't in our current business model."
    Me: "So you're saying our current business model is to run a railroad without moving cars because we have no locomotives?"
    Morons: ... ignore.

God I love my job...
    IshinHavenSlyphe
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Not even through security and I realized I left my phone at my cousin's house. So many things have gone wrong this trip, totally never leaving my house again...
  • edited June 2014
    So my boyfriend has officially been laid off twice in a month and a half. The unemployment rate here is 14%.

This comes two months before we're supposed to move back to Vermont and right after I just used the rest of our savings to replace my transmission. It's looking likely that we'll have to move in with his homophobic mother who insists that she has better things to do with her time than clean up after her dogs who piss and shit everywhere and have for years. She has zero boundaries and is just infuriating in general. I mean, the rent's cheap so that's nice (I guess?).

"To be awkward or unkempt, to talk or move wrongly is to be a dangerous giant, a destroyer of worlds...any accurately improper move can poke through the thin sleeve of immediate reality." - Erving Goffman

• So, know how I've been saying work has been taking all of my time from me lately? It's the reason I haven't been able to do these things:

1. Play Aetolia
    2. Work on Commissions
    3. Do anything with any of my friends
    4. Repair important relationships
    5. Relax

You'd think this wouldn't be so much of an issue, being hired on as a part-time worker as a CRS in a gas station (one that is open 24hrs). Nadia, one of our two assistant managers, has been trying to get our main manager to hire on more people, because we -need- more. We don't have enough to cover shifts. We're stretching our current people out. We have 2 leads, 2 assistant managers, and 6 other regulars CSRs. I've been working full-time hours for the past couple of months now - do you think I get full-time benefits offered to me? No, of course not. Nor do any of the others.

Why is this a problem, and subsequently a rage of mine? We're open all the time. We have one person who is -just- graveyard, 3 other people who are trained and capable of working it but do not want to always work it. (Because they like to have lives to, and go to school, and other stuff). One of our regulars, the girl who never does more than a single 7 hour shift every week, got a new job, so her schedule is now 'locked' with only that one shift that she can work, and that's a mid-shift that we don't necessary need to have to run the store. So you can say we actually only have 5 regular CSRs, 4 of which are usually daytime. (During the week only one person works night). So in total, 9 people at a 24hr store. This coming Saturday is at the point where if someone called out, there is no one who could replace them because.. everyone else is working that day too. That's partly because one of our workers is on vacation for this week and half of next. (So right now we have 8 available people to work).

Now, I was saying I was going to be getting my time back, my freedom back, in the coming weeks. Nope, not anymore. Because the girl we had hired on and trained (I didn't include her in any of those numbers) was fired yesterday. I found that out when I came in at 5am and someone who was going to be back to work at 2pm that day was there working the last half of her shift she called out on. That was the second time in her first week she called out. Just next month, we have two of our people going on vacation back to back. Everyone who tries and does their job has gotten tired of trying because no one else is doing their jobs properly either, or being taken advantage of because of the situation. My 28 hour week next week is now a 37 hour week, but at least the scheduling manager this time had the decency not to continue the trend of 'work five days, have one day off, go back for another five days, one day off'.

tl;dr - we lost our new hire, our manager isn't hiring enough people to cover all the shifts, we're overworked and short on staff, the free time I was going to get back I no longer have.
  • First, that really sucks Nola. Hugs.

Second. I am so livid right now. I had stayed a friend on Facebook with an ex from over ten years ago. We still meet for coffee/dinner whenever he visits Oklahoma. The last week or so, almost all of his posts have been anti-Muslim, using it as a derogatory term. I called him out on it finally, he apologized and said he should have worded it differently.

Then tonight, he posted some bullshit story about wanting to become a truck driver so he could run over any Muslim he sees. I said I was done, unfriended him.

His response?

"not my fault you chose a bullshit religion that terrorists use as an excuse"

It took all my willpower not to respond. Simply because doing so is being just as bad. I would say not nice things.
    Ashmer
  • I'm really going into dangerous waters and possibly paradoxically generalizing an entire group of people without knowing them individually, but I'm categorically intolerant of intolerant people.

Side note: I'm a waiter at a semi high end asian joint, and we had a twelve top of all Muslim women come in day before yesterday. I noticed they were speaking Arabic and so on the way out I told them thank you and goodbye in Arabic and they were super surprised. I live in WV so there aren't a whole lot of times you hear 'ma'asalama' on your way out the door somewhere I'm guessing.
    IshinVolka
  • MarienaMariena By a lake.
    Ashmer said:

I'm just mad that my mouth and body constantly ache from coughing. I didn't take the Advil today, because I don't want to keep taking it, but seriously. Stahp.

On the bright side, I did buy a blender, make a smoothie, and bake a lasagna tonight. And RP'ed. And wrote 400+ words into my novel. And PK'ed Plato.

... I'm terrible at this Mad thing.

@Ashmer - Darling. You need some Vicks, some lemon honey tea, and some Halls. My family had that death plague cough for a month, it was terribad.

• Or a big dose of man the fuck up!

JensenIshinHavenAngweSlypheAshmerErzsebet
  • SeirSeir Seein' All the Things Getting high off your emotion
    Furtum said:

I'm really going into dangerous waters and possibly paradoxically generalizing an entire group of people without knowing them individually, but I'm categorically intolerant of intolerant people.

Side note: I'm a waiter at a semi high end asian joint, and we had a twelve top of all Muslim women come in day before yesterday. I noticed they were speaking Arabic and so on the way out I told them thank you and goodbye in Arabic and they were super surprised. I live in WV so there aren't a whole lot of times you hear 'ma'asalama' on your way out the door somewhere I'm guessing.

They might've been appreciative, though it's hard to gauge and usually depends on the culture. I know a smattering of a few languages now but I am a firm believer that learning the language of another culture makes you appear very less ignorant to others and most that I've spoken to appreciate it. Around where I live, there's a restaurant that I frequent where most of the guys that work there speak Spanish. I have convos with them regularly when I go there and they're genuinely friendly.