Ankyrean Anguish - Aetolia-based RAGE

Comments

• ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    There we go.  Rivas found me a ~legit~ link.
    AarbrokHaydynAryanne
  • AarbrokAarbrok Breaking things...For Science San Diego, CA
    Thanks for support while I subjected myself to slaughter for a few hours tonight, I will get that swarm at some point.

I am done letting things stress me out, I took a break from things that were driving me nuts and I already feel a bit better.
    Thanks forums for letting me rant and rage for a day, and to those I have on skype and IRC for just being there to listen.

Aarde
  • edited August 2013
    I rage at between 3pm and 6pm my time (uk) IRE websites/games etc ALL kick me from them.. only the forums seem to work!!

Granted its not 'game' stuff but it is, its flaming annoying as I not got a clue why this happens!

AND If someone says "Its your tinterweb" I'm going to kickyou in the dam unicorns!!

• If the shoe fits...

>_>

It's your tinterweb
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    Well there's your problem, you're using the tinterweb and most of us are using the internet!
    MissariAryanne
  • Lin said:
    Well there's your problem, you're using the tinterweb and most of us are using the internet!
    haha.. well still, its annoying as its only IRE sites which goes down between that time.. every other site works just not Aetolia..

Thats why I couldn't talk to you earlier as I kept getting dc'd

• This is a two part Rage, dont care if I double post, I'm sure you'll get over it!!

Why OOO Why Does Aetolia (ire) hate me between 3pm and 6pm my time!!

Also I Rage at them pathetic people who are having PMT (bad) moments oocly who seem to think a IC thing is a ooc thing and have a bigger PMT moment!! GET OVER IT!!

Aishia
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    Notice a pattern? Look for the common denominator.
  • MacavityMacavity Chicago, Il
    you could also try setting a static DNS to google or another DNS provider.   I had issues with my ISP being a little wonky with a few sites as well, and as soon as I set the DNS to another provider it cleared right up.
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
  • its nothing to do with my connection/net provider, I called them and they checked.. its just an IRE issue it happens on ALL the websites between them 3 hours.. but forums work fine :/ so I'm a lost

• A company that collects money from you claiming it's not their fault? Sounds legit.
    Lin
    @azton well in IRE defense, and please correct me if I am wrong, but the forums is hosted with another provider and thus a different server is handling that request altogether, so comparing IRE web connections to the forums is like Apples to Oranges.  
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

• RiluoRiluo The Doctor
    edited August 2013

Idiots who issue for a single death, and I quote, "because they failed to defup correctly!!" so they died. Oh and the shocking latency issue I get trying to play Aetolia.

/end rage

Abhorash says, "Ve'kahi has proved that even bastards can earn their place."

• Missari said:
    A company that collects money from you claiming it's not their fault? Sounds legit.
    out of the hundres of websites I go to, IRE sites (none forum) are the only ones which I have issues with during that time, my Connection is perfect during that time but not for IRE sites...

@ Macavity, yes thats what I mean, Forums work fine so its not my connection :P

• Macavity was saying that you probably have a bad DNS connection to IRE. The forums are hosted by a different source than the games, and the websites are hosted by the same source as the games, hence you can get to the forums but not the sites or games.
  • But its only between 3/6pm any other time I dont lag.. I've never had an issue before, I've not changed internet providers or anything...

and on that note, I RAGE at always dying because of it!

• TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    I am going to apologize in advance for this long rant. TLDR at the end.

I get really frustrated by spam and need time to sort through what is going on and highlight what I need so I can see it next time and deal with it. Most of the time, people who teach combat expect you to be able to read the browser at super speed, or know already what is important from the get-go, because hey, you've played this game for a long time or, you know you'll get spammed in combat anyway, so why not get used to it when practicing, or so what if you get a little spammed now, you can just scroll back and sort out what happened later.

Some of my testing is just to make sure I know what my things look like, so when combat comes, I know if I'm actually attacking or if I'm locked down/prevented in some way. Well, if I'm testing my skills to make sure I know what they look like and how they work, when they work and everything, I generally don't want to sift through the spam of someone else's attacks just to make sure it had nothing to do with what caused problems with my own attack at that exact moment.

And when I can't get someone to patiently help me, who understands what I need to improve my skills (patience, time, speaking to me like I'm a noob without being patronizing or condescending), I generally just get deterred and stop bothering with combat altogether. And that's sad, cause I want to improve. I've got a kickass system to search for foci that I wrote all by my lonesome (can probably be written much better by someone who is a coder), but I can't really code. I've got a good curing system (Tripwire) and just need to learn how to best apply a good offensive to match it.

I want to give a big THANK YOU to @Xavin, who actually helped me understand a few things, stood by for questions inside the arena (even though we probably never really needed to be in there), while I sorted through what I knew and what I needed to set up next.

TLDR:
    * I hate spam.
    * Those teaching combat need to be more patient and those being asked for help need to be more understanding of those with special needs.
    * I really hate spam
    * Xavin is awesome

Missari
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    First, don't neglect the use of things like training NPCs, such as mobs like Atala or the Chiavs. They are great for letting you use your skills or receiving isolated attacks to see how stuff looks. Also citymate NPCs like Kaeus or Xarian are great. Every city has one, that fighter who idles for hours with their system on - perfect for testing stuff on! >_>

If you are really dedicated to learning combat the absolute BEST thing you can do is log your fights and then review these. Most of KLL (because they all are on mudlet, hrmph) can tell you how to set up automated logging if you don't have it yet. The benefit of logging is:

- You can review what happened at your own pace, including seeing lines nice and neatly to pick out and copy for highlighting.
    - You can review what YOU did, and analyze if your choices went well or if they failed, why? 
    - You can more slowly look over what sort of tactics your enemy picked.
    - You don't burn out those training you. 

This is basically a general "rant" and not directed at you, Teani, but maybe it'll be helpful to see things from the eyes of someone who does try training others:

It actually can be kinda tiring to teach people and I, personally, have reached a point where I am not going to devote insane amounts of time to someone unless they put in at least 2-3 times the effort as I am. Sorry if this sounds a bit callous, but if someone wants to learn combat, the onus really is on THEM to do the legwork. I will happily help with coding and question answering and showing off tactics every now and then, but too many people seem to expect someone to be able to sit down and teach them how to be a good fighter. That's not how it works. For starters, it's far far far easier to help someone when they have specific questions (why did this not work? What's the best way to stick x affliction? What advice do you have to keeping a target in x condition?) - whenever I hear questions that amount to "How do I fight?" I want to cry. :P 

There's a lot that needs to be done from the end of the person learning: it takes time and analysis, practice and review, and that kind of time investment and work simply isn't what everyone wants to do. I know that if I were just learning combat for the first time right now...I'd probably be like eh, screw it, and focus mostly on RP. I don't have that sort of interest in spending my game time that way these days. Learning combat is a very particular and sometimes tiring aspect of gameplay. I wish it weren't, but in the PK system we have, it is.

There are definitely people I am happy to help out - Xenia is a great example, as is Barda. Both of them spend a lot of time running around and practicing stuff on their own, and then ask certain questions or coding ideas, which gives me a good jumping off point to help them from.
    MissariAarbrok
  • Rage related to current topic: Firstaid being useless beyond a bashing/entry into combat tool. I don't see why we can't have customizable, server side curing that isn't terrible. This would relieve a lot of stress for "established" PKers in upkeeping their systems as well as cutting out 90% of what PK teachers have to teach, coding for curing. If the players only had to focus on how to kill each other rather than why their system can't keep up with affs, we'll get a better quality of PK, and it'll be easier to balance classes, artifacts, stat scaling, and the combination of any of those three items combined.

tldr: Server side curing would make the game better, please2bmakingthnx
    VharenMoireanPiperHaven
  • Missari said:
    Rage related to current topic: Firstaid being useless beyond a bashing/entry into combat tool. I don't see why we can't have customizable, server side curing that isn't terrible. This would relieve a lot of stress for "established" PKers in upkeeping their systems as well as cutting out 90% of what PK teachers have to teach, coding for curing. If the players only had to focus on how to kill each other rather than why their system can't keep up with affs, we'll get a better quality of PK, and it'll be easier to balance classes, artifacts, stat scaling, and the combination of any of those three items combined.

tldr: Server side curing would make the game better, please2bmakingthnx
    Please NOOO this will spoil the game and all the pk, most part of the combat is the working system you've spent weeks/months working on doing

MissariAtrapoemaHaven
    edited August 2013
    It might make PK meh for a time, but that would only emphasize the weaknesses in the offensive design of our PK system. If having ideal curing makes PK fall apart, that means we are sorely lacking in creative and tactical attack mechanics.

It would, because we do, but heavily implementing better, more challenging and more fun offenses really can't happen on a large scale while systems are a big deal, since it just widens the gap between those with good code and those without.
    MinaraelAarbrokMissariHaven
  • I know I've talked about Hunting Grounds items before, but good lord HUNTING GROUNDS ITEMS. Set a timer, disallow them in havens, SOMETHING. ANYTHING. As proof of my rage:

[spoiler]Ezalor has foolishly succeeded in ending his own life.
    You divine the location of this death as A bloody and chaotic battlefield in Nowhere.

touch stone
    You reach out and touch a cairn of the Hunter.
    <6380/6380h 5365/5390m 27900e 23400w <eb> <csdb>> <||100|21.13%> <20:13:40:654>
    Claw, sword of the hunt:
            -unclaimed

Shade, robe of the hunt:
            -A bloody and chaotic battlefield

Silence, cloak of the hunt:
            -held by Feichin

The Stag Helm:
            -unclaimed

The Rowan Box:
            -Reassembling itself

The Night Eye pendant:
            -A bloody and chaotic battlefield

The Rose of Defiance:
            -held by Ilyon

The Ivory Bough:
            -held by Rammus[/spoiler]

Seriously. How is that fair?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

(The Front Line): Daskalos says, "<-- artifacts."

(Order): Iosyne says, "Ah, Bloodletter. You shouldn't have."

(Order): Ezalor says, "Aw. My shinies."

(Order): Iosyne says, "You can duel Me for them, if you like."

Don't worry. The Malevolent is ON THE CASE.
    RivasEzalorIosyneSetneHavenLin
    people who kill other peoples mounts after you die!   because and i quote..."Mount killing is a perfectly valid tactic."

After someone dies??  really?  What tactic is this that you need to afflict when you already got the kill!  

I mean I get it, people kill mounts...but have some respect
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

AarbrokMoirean
  • It's sort of a vicious cycle, mount killing. People tend to start killing mounts because their own was killed. This in turn riles people up about mount killing and some of them start killing mounts themselves. Blah blah, huge waste of mounts.

Angwe
  • Excellent gold sink, though.
    RivasHaven
  • Can sort of be, I guess. Except I really hate hearing about people killing the more expensive gold mounts, though runed bit so whatever, I suppose.

• Poor Argolis. :( 
    imageimage
  • edited August 2013
    SO. Aetolian anguishes. I rage that I can't unload 1800 sapphire for love or money or whores. (Higher than 200 gold apiece.)
    imageimage "Little pig, little pig, let me in, let me in. You look tasty and smell like bacon." *LICKLICKLICK*
  • EleanorEleanor FOR SCIENCE
    ...How did you get so many in the first place?

This discussion has been closed.