Ankyrean Anguish - Aetolia-based RAGE

Comments

• OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    Macavity said:
    I am really mad that the first set of liaison changes were released and I STILL CANNOT LOOK AT THE AB FILES WITHOUT CHANGING CLASS!!!!    Even though I have all 10 shadow classes at trans!!
    Wait, seriously? How did I miss that?
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
  • MacavityMacavity Chicago, Il
    edited June 2013
    Oleis said:
    Macavity said:
    I am really mad that the first set of liaison changes were released and I STILL CANNOT LOOK AT THE AB FILES WITHOUT CHANGING CLASS!!!!    Even though I have all 10 shadow classes at trans!!
    Wait, seriously? How did I miss that?
    umm....not that its your fault you missed this idea as I believe you are new to the pools, but its been in there since Multiclassing came out!

Idea #2388   Section: Skill   Support: 5
    2011/05/19 07:33:13: with multiclassing out and I, myself, having 5 classes I find the need to 
    look at ab files of those other classes while I wait for my time to come up to switch so I can 
    get the right syntax or learn more about my newly acquired skill....so I suggest to allow us 
    who have the other skill to look at the ab files of those skills whenever we want regardless if 
    we are in that class or not at the time.
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
    Calipso
    @oleis to the rescue!  You are the bomb!  Thank you!!

― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

EzraxCalipsoEsperIosyneEzalorRivasLianca
  • EzalorEzalor Emperor D'baen Canada
    @Areka if you really want to get into combat, I'm more than willing to help you out and walk you through how to set that up. You're already on CMud and Citadel so it won't be too hard to get you started since a lot of my stuff is built on Lanira's.

There's really not much aptitude factor, it's all about attitude. If you're willing to learn, won't get discouraged when something goes wrong (debugging is a huge part of making a system), and willing to work through things on your own once you've learned the basics, there will be tons of people willing to help you. Belgarion is fantastic as well and knows the Templar class inside and out.

As far as game knowledge goes, I've been writing up a mini-guide to venom and aff combat since a lot of people seem to really struggle with the concept. If I ever finish it I'll post it.
  • DraimanDraiman Dr. Drai
    edited June 2013
    I hate how in my current organizations I can just as easily forget that I'm playing the game if I have Mudlet as the front window or if I'm tabbed out and just chilling else where on the internet. I've tried engaging people and the only people I can get to say more than a few lines are novices. Seriously, if I only had one trigger to keep me from timing out and I stayed logged on for 2 days, Belgarion and his constant market says are the only way you'd be able to tell that I was logged on for 2 days instead of 2 hours.
    "You ever been divided by zero?" Nia asks you with a squint.

• IllikaalIllikaal Pray Area
    Areka said:
    Grief-killing isn't the issue, it's the environment. It only takes one unicorn-head to completely ruin a newcomer's experience with PK. 

Xerp, you're missing the issue there. It doesn't matter if a person has good or bad knowledge on PK, their handling will make an impact, and dismissing it with 'they just don't know what they're talking about' doesn't change that they leave an impression of the PK community and system. 

During one of the Order wars, Lyl got on my back about how terrible I am on Areka with PK while I was defending Aisling working on a shrine. I've been on an alt trying to learn a new class and utterly dismissed and belittled when asking what I could do to contribute, and to 'not bother' until I'm tritrans because I'd be useless - this from someone on the city council. This, on top of asking people for help for how best to use what skills I possess, regardless of the character and class, and having known combatants go "figure it out on your own it's not that hard" or spewing a lot of technical information when you're still figuring out what's going on with firstaid and your configs, or how to assemble basic aliases, is extremely off putting, and I've had similar complaints from noobs I've worked with as they come into the game. "Just get a system" helps with survivability, but not the rest. And yes, there are people who will help with things - I've spent a lot of time with Belgarion trying to work through Templar, but it is still overwhelming, and I don't have the technical aptitude or skills to really keep up with his suggestions and what needs to be happening, so the headway made is minimal. 
    Its Lyl. She sits in webs all day, talks shit about how bad lifer combatants are, when a good portion of us have proven otherwise on multiple occasions. She's been destroyed by many active lifer combatants, and still runs her mouth about how bad the person that just killed her is at combat. If they were indeed that bad, then 1. You shouldn't have died to them. and 2. You wouldn't be idling in phase/your haven/in a city all day every day. 3.You wouldn't run away if someone who could easily kill you walked into the room and so much as sneezed on you. If you're that good, you'd have just fought them and dunked on them. This has never, ever been the case, in my experience. 

There aren't many Lyls out there today, as far as PK is concerned. But back when I was growing up as a baby droodle, there were a lot of these kinds of people around. @Missari just taught me to take it as motivation to get better, and just put YOUR skills where THEIR mouth was. At the end of the day, they can't talk when they're dead, specifically, after you've killed them. Sure they can go back and go give their buddies excuses like "Lol I lagged out.", but anyone with half a brain will know that their words won't have much weight at all. 

I'd even go so far as to say, without bias, that a lot of the lifers are much stronger duelists than most of the people that Bloodloch or Spinesreach can even produce. That goes without saying, Bloodloch and Spinesreach have their own sets of strong Duelists, but as far as numbers are concerned, I think Enorian and Duiran take the cake. There's a lot of good sources for information out there in regards to combat. The key to it all is finding yourself a good teacher who is patient, and REALLY knows what they're talking about. Not just with their class, but how to deal with every single other class out there WITH the class(es) that you have under your belt. 

Finally, I think combat would be a lot less overwhelming if people actually started writing out guides. I don't want to say this to be discouraging to....the other 'guides' that are pre existing (except for the Shaman one hue hue hue), but if I were a total noncom and read those guides, I wouldn't know how to fight. They don't teach you very much in a realistic combat situation at all, and instead, just give you a general idea of of the endgame goal. 9/10 times, people can figure that out just by reading the AB's. All the pros need to start writing!
    Xavin said:
    But like Ilyon said, the people who give half-answers or don't really make an effort to help usually don't completely know what they're talking about. And there's always the problem of misinformation. The first example of that that comes to mind is the talk about a stormtouched bug when what was being described as a bug is actually how the affliction is supposed to behave - reducing the afflicted person's electrical resistance to 0%.
    Sweet jesus. That never gets old XD
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
    Missari
  • SolariaSolaria Charlotte, NC
    Draiman said:
    I hate how in my current organizations I can just as easily forget that I'm playing the game if I have Mudlet as the front window or if I'm tabbed out and just chilling else where on the internet. I've tried engaging people and the only people I can get to say more than a few lines are novices. Seriously, if I only had one trigger to keep me from timing out and I stayed logged on for 2 days, Belgarion and his constant market says are the only way you'd be able to tell that I was logged on for 2 days instead of 2 hours.
    Hey now. I -tried- to speak to you, at least! Just had to log before I could wait for you to un-afk.

• DraimanDraiman Dr. Drai

Solaria said:
    Draiman said:
    Hey now. I -tried- to speak to you, at least! Just had to log before I could wait for you to un-afk.

I did what I hate most. I forgot to log out. I was sound asleep when I got that tell. :(

That's another thing, I don't see the point in being logged on all day if you're only going to be there when you're actually home. Most of the time it feels like I'm being ignored, and if I was anywhere near as good at PK as I once was, I'd prolly kill whoever did it and bear whatever punishment the admin gave me with a smile.
    "You ever been divided by zero?" Nia asks you with a squint.

SolariaSessizlikAngwe
  • Rage at apparently missing this event that everyone is talking about. My laptop is in the shop getting fixed for one day, and I missed some awesome sites. :(

Also Rage at the Events news being covered in cobwebs and apparently almost never being used to reference events that have happened. Really a 1 paragraph post saying "Iosyne and Omei fought, devil spiders invaded Enorian, the future looks bleak and bloody." Would make everyone ooooh and aaaaaaaah.

Im near the point of writing the posts myself and submitting them and requesting they be posted up.
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland

EVENTS NEWS #139
    Date: 6/23/2013 at 20:03
    To  : Everyone
    Subj: The Djeirani from Azdun

At the turn of the year 394, a duo of armored Djeirani braved the winter
    elements to venture, as emissaries, with the intent of visiting each of
    the major world powers of Sapience. The Djeirani, as they were
    described, claimed to be Lieutenants of the Dark Empire on a diplomatic
    mission. Each were accompanied by the spider-like Chiav striders, widely
    known to be the new foot soldiers of Llazuth's army.

Though rumors are abound over whether they were rejected, accepted, or
    merely kept on the ropes, the subject of the Lieutenants and their offer
    were on the minds of friend and enemy alike. Representatives from the
    Noble Houses of Djeir had nothing to say on this supposed splinter
    faction of Djeirani, and what little is known of the Empire is kept
    firmly under wraps by the allies it may have made.

All eyes are on the southwestern portion of Sapience, for now, as
    questions of the Empire's true purpose bring to light old conflicts
    involving even older, more malicious powers long forgotten.

Penned by my hand on the 6th of Variach, in the year 394 MA.

That was posted, like, just yesterday.
    Benedicto
  • Moirean said:

EVENTS NEWS #139
    Date: 6/23/2013 at 20:03
    To  : Everyone
    Subj: The Djeirani from Azdun

At the turn of the year 394, a duo of armored Djeirani braved the winter
    elements to venture, as emissaries, with the intent of visiting each of
    the major world powers of Sapience. The Djeirani, as they were
    described, claimed to be Lieutenants of the Dark Empire on a diplomatic
    mission. Each were accompanied by the spider-like Chiav striders, widely
    known to be the new foot soldiers of Llazuth's army.

Though rumors are abound over whether they were rejected, accepted, or
    merely kept on the ropes, the subject of the Lieutenants and their offer
    were on the minds of friend and enemy alike. Representatives from the
    Noble Houses of Djeir had nothing to say on this supposed splinter
    faction of Djeirani, and what little is known of the Empire is kept
    firmly under wraps by the allies it may have made.

All eyes are on the southwestern portion of Sapience, for now, as
    questions of the Empire's true purpose bring to light old conflicts
    involving even older, more malicious powers long forgotten.

Penned by my hand on the 6th of Variach, in the year 394 MA.

That was posted, like, just yesterday.
    That's about the emissaries though, it doesnt mention about the demonic spiders that attacked enorian (though yes i know that was mostly a mini-event, but still cool), or Omei recruiting the pixies, or Omei being hidden within the minds of players etc.

Also I think that was the first events post in -months-.
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    I RAGE that not a single one of the Carnifex prefixed themselves "Abysswalker" and got themselves a custom wolf warhound.
  • I Rage at people asking to 'Go hunting' and all the person does is IDLES on another MUD and doesn't even thank you for getting them 3+ levels but day after asks to go hunting again... :@

That's WHY I don't take people hunting,
    :(|)

XavinMoireanXeniaAngwe
  • Nola said:
    I think that fact that she was doing that to begin with is a whole other issue as far as player attitudes in the game goes. 

Does anyone else see how messed up it is to use that priv in something as useless as a clan to enemy someone (the act of enemying isn't whats an issue here, the reasons are..) for offensive, petty things OOCLY towards those characters to MAKE a character/player upset? Just for unicorns and giggles.

Thats like. The most childish thing I've ever heard of/seen in this game to date. I guess thats my rage guys. That this is actually something that takes place to begin with. 

Yes it is the gravest of insults and highest of crimes that one has their pride slapped at by being enemied to a simple Clan for no real reason. Shame shame,  this is definitely the worst thing in this community and must have the entire focus of the Admin to rectify such a horrendous act of sheer disrespect.

Seriously...it was an enemying to a clan for giggles. It doesnt affect your Gaming. It doesnt affect your RP.  It doesnt affect your life. If such a small thing as getting enemied to a clan has struck so hard emotionally, then frankly there is a much bigger issue to look into first.
  • What sort of things are NPC's telling you to do Stathan????
    imageimage "Little pig, little pig, let me in, let me in. You look tasty and smell like bacon." *LICKLICKLICK*
  • Rude judgmental players, who are always so quick to say something snarky and be complete unicornheads!

I initially started playing Aetolia when a friend told me that it would help improve my English. I have always shied away from RP because I know my grammar and spelling is not that brilliant, so I just sticked with the predefined emotes.

Given my improvement over the last few years I decided to dip my feet into the RP pool and see what I have been missing.. Needless to say I was completely put off when I was told to "go back to school" and "stop being cheap and buy a dictionary". ( Hey I can handle constructive criticism, @Nahasa use to give it all the time, and I appreciated it). I get that my character has offended many people in the past, but take that stuff up IG-ly do not make OOC comments like that. SO uncalled for!

I'd like to see you to start playing a French MUD without making any mistakes

HavenPiperPerilunaAarbrokDraimanMastemaValenaeAryanneIriela
  • Ellenia said:
    Rude judgmental players, who are always so quick to say something snarky and be complete unicornheads!

I initially started playing Aetolia when a friend told me that it would help improve my English. I have always shied away from RP because I know my grammar and spelling is not that brilliant, so I just sticked with the predefined emotes.

Given my improvement over the last few years I decided to dip my feet into the RP pool and see what I have been missing.. Needless to say I was completely put off when I was told to "go back to school" and "stop being cheap and buy a dictionary". ( Hey I can handle constructive criticism, @Nahasa use to give it all the time, and I appreciated it). I get that my character has offended many people in the past, but take that stuff up IG-ly do not make OOC comments like that. SO uncalled for!

Just dont take pointers from Benedicto :P
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    I had no idea English wasn't your first language, Ellenia. I thought you were South African because of the pictures you had from there! Also wtf Calipso?
    Aryanne
  • Ellenia said:
    Rude judgmental players, who are always so quick to say something snarky and be complete unicornheads!

Don't worry Elle, I've been helping native English speakers spell and use grammar properly, and you're a faster student than they've been. Take it with a grain of salt.
    Ellenia
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    edited June 2013
    @Ellenia You piss me off.

That said, knocking you for poor grammar knowing that it's yr second language is kind of a sign of defeat on their part, innit. It means they can't think of anything better than the obvious insult.

Edit: Its like how stupid people love insulting their target's intelligence.
    Ellenia
  • IllikaalIllikaal Pray Area
    Ellenia said:

( Hey I can handle constructive criticism, @Nahasa use to give it all the time, and I appreciated it). 

I don't remember much, if any of Nahasa's criticism being constructive at all. In fact, I recall being in her clan some years ago, and she was berating someone's (a swedish person) spelling and grammar, knowing their first language wasn't english. That's why I sorta just read that line and squinted at it. 

Anyhow. Those types of people generally fall under this category: 

"And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
    MissariEllenia
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    D: I'm so rusty getting back into the role-play scene.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    Minarael
  • @Ellenia

Too hell with them, not all of us are born speaking English. Some of us have to learn it as we go and make little erors. It took me 5 years to learn to do anything at all in Australia as they did not have people who spoke anything but English in my school. So please ignore them idiots and keep doing what you are doin :)

Carnifex failing since 2011. Fixes coming Soon ™
    ElleniaAryanne
    I am really shocked at the number of people that are saying that english is not their first language in aetolia.  I mean I know people are from all over the world, but I can honestly say that when speaking to people IG, I have yet to see any real difference in language skills. 

Heck even if I did, I would probably think it was their RP anyways, so for those who might not be that verse in English then make it part of your RP and run with it!  You will have people running to you to interact with you!  heh  :-)
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Aryanne
  • edited June 2013

I hate when random people use these forms of greetings (below), it only further entrenches the whole Anne Rice, Sparkles the vampire, Mary Sue image. One that Loch got rid of a very long time ago, plus it makes me cringe!

16. nameless: "Dark Tidings Bloodloch."
    20. nameless: "Take care Dark City."

Aryanne
  • edited June 2013
    May you always walk in the shadows, @Mastema!
    Mastema
  • edited June 2013
    May the dark odds be ever in your dark favor.
    Mastema
  • X_X 
    Mastema said:
    X_X 
    I so thought this thing was doing peek-a-boo!  LOL
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax