Requesting help (language related)

13»

Comments

• TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    Last chance to represent your region! Now that I've actually looked at the books the students are working with (kind of boring stuff, really) I'd really like to get some help from @Llok and @Benedicto or anyone else who is from the UK region! 

If you want to help, feel it would be fun to pitch in with your dialect you have until Tuesday evening to send me a link with your recording (either here, in a PM or in an email.

• @Teani Are we gonna get the chance to hear the final product that you'll let the kids listen to? And you've gotta be sure to share their reactions to the clips. 

Since you've posted this, all I can think about every time I see this thread is my French class in high school with those crazy conversational language lessons. We listened to what sounded like robots speaking to each other in French. It was a common joke that we spoke robot-like when we did our oral presentations for that class.
    imageimage
    The idea is to bring in some flavor, seeing as I speak English to my students all the time, only explaining things in Swedish when I really have to. That way they already get to listen to a lot of English. However, it's good to listen to other dialects as well.

Today I got to meet with my mentor this this Teacher practice for the first time and I let her listen to some of the clips that I'd been putting together. She thought it was great! Another teacher complained about the poor sound quality and I told her it was because I'd asked friends to help out rather than letting the students listen to boring textbook samples. (Some people are never happy though!)

I will definitely post reactions when I use this in class, as for samples, there are some who want to remain anonymous, so I will respect that!

edited September 2013
    If you feel incredibly bored, you could make another recording where you simply speak of what it's like where you live. Cultural exchange and all that! What kind of music you listen to, what the weather is like right now, if it's usual or not. :)

Edit: Note that these recordings, if used, will not be edited at all and my students will hear all from start to finish. Too much background noise and it won't be used though.

Thank you so much to everyone who helped out with this small project of mine! I played the recordings for my students today and they got to guess who was from where. We had an awesome time with plenty of laughs at how different English-speaking people sound.

Seeing as I also have these students in geography class, the recordings were followed by a million questions on how I knew you guys, if I'd spoken to you in person and how I could possibly have done that since there were people from all over the world (they just learned about timezones). I explained about the game (they never expect me to be in to any form of computer games) and the amazing community we have here.

Most difficult to guess were the various accents of the Americans, but after they got to hear all the clips twice with small pauses, they could distinguish the different people and were 'ooh'-ing and 'aah'-ing at the different uses of words and phrases.

Soda/pop/coke/soft drink was much discussed, as was the choice of words for where one goes shopping for groceries.

All in all, project was a success! I owe it all to you!

KaleighHavenSessizlikHaydynAryanne
  • It's coke. If you ask for a pop, my dad will smack you and say, 'There's your pop'.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

• It's pop, if you ask for coke I'll call the cops >:|
    Aryanne
    Actually, when listing the different things people call carbonated drinks, one of my students blurted out 'Dope!'. <.<

• We can't meet IRL, Missari. Assault and drug charges everywhere :(

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

TeaniMissariJaslineHavenAryanne
  • Haydyn, there's a related article in the Reader's Digest this month, page 67 or 69. They were mentioning (with graphs!!) how much of the US called a large roll with cold cuts a sub verses diff type of sandwich, and diff between Coke/Pop/soda.
    imageimage "Little pig, little pig, let me in, let me in. You look tasty and smell like bacon." *LICKLICKLICK*