Requesting help (language related)

Comments

• MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    My grandma is Filipino. Everytime she'd tell us we were having fish for dinner, I'd cringe.
  • After a few attempts, and some weird faces from my fiance, this is what I've come up with. 

First time actually posting anything like this, so I hope if helps for your benefits! 

Also,
    @Moirean - Filipino food is honestly amazing, how could you cringe?!

• TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    @Kaleigh: It seems to be something wrong with the link. Perhaps it didn't save properly?

• MarienaMariena By a lake.
    http://vocaroo.com/i/s04XNShYmw8X

Ohio - Miami Valley area.

Teani
  • @Teani I'll try it again tonight when I'm home. 
    Teani
  • @Kaleigh and @Teani There is just an extra space at the end of the link. Try this: http://vocaroo.com/i/s0ltxio5OKuI
    imageimage
    TeaniKaleigh
  • WAAAAAAAAAAALES WAAAAAAAAAAAAALES WAAAAAAAAAAAALES
  • Eleanor said:
    I think you'll be disappointed re: 'common phrase', all the stereotypes the world knows about here are wayyyyyy outdated. Hell, the kids don't even say 'mate' a lot of the time. Let alone bloke, shiela, crikey, strewth.

If you don't mind the example being completely archaic, though, I could make you a short paragraph that's damnear a cipher thanks to all the slang.

Alright Ay

How ya doing ay

Is that tonight ay?
  • edited August 2013
    http://vocaroo.com/i/s16PPRFlOEhj

Gulf Coast/Southeast US
    imageimage
    Teani
  • Haydyn said:
    @Kaleigh and @Teani There is just an extra space at the end of the link. Try this

And this is why I <3333 you Momabear!!! :DD Thank you!!
  • Hey, I found this while perusing through Pinterest. 

Not sure if it would help you or not. 
    Teani
    That's a very good page. Thank you, @Kaleigh!

Kaleigh
  • EleanorEleanor FOR SCIENCE
    http://vocaroo.com/i/s1GLevgUruvX

Some notes:
    -Proper Australianism is only achieved when one has a mate named Dave.
    -My accent isn't terribly exaggerated. A lot of people I meet think I'm from the city, if not from overseas somewhere.
    -The phrase at the end is "Fair crack of the whip, mate". I picked it because it's a pretty good example of how Australians cram all the words together in a sentence.

I can put on a Condo accent if you want the extreme Australian-ness. Just let me know.

Teani
    Extreme Australian would be awesome, Eleanor!

• LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    edited August 2013
    Sorry, I know I'm a week late here!

I can help out if you still need someone with a very neutral American accent. I've lived in Texas for a rather massive portion of my life, so I could probably supply Texanisms without the typical southern twang.
    Teani
    Of course I'd appreciate the help, @Lin! Thank you!

Also, if you know anyone with other English accents, I'd appreciate it if you point them in this direction. Right now I have one Australian, one Canadian and plenty of Americans (2 southeast, 2 west coast, 1 Ohio).

@Llok, if you can do a Welsh accent, please please please please. I'd really appreciate it!

@Areka, @Missari, did you still want to help with the more central areas of the US?

@Benedicto: need your Britishness to balance up the States!

• ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    Yes! Just been fighting with my mic, I'll try recording and vocaroo will say no sound found. 
    Teani
  • Woops, thought I posted the other day. Cats got to my mic wire. :<
  • How welsh would you like?
    Teani
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    Max welsh and then semi-understandable welsh. 
    Teani
    English-version Welsh, so not real Welsh, with with the proper sing-song intonation that comes with it. Well, you can do real Welsh, just for me, I'd appreciate that a lot too. *grin*

Aryanne
  • SolariaSolaria Charlotte, NC
    Alright, I know you have several from the SE US, but I'm throwing mine in as well. My accent is from Eastern North Carolina with a mix of Southeastern Virginia (this is why it's not -really- southern sometimes) and a little Central South Carolina:

My accent words: anything that ends with thing, -ive words, y'all/ya, most -ore words, majority of numbers (auctioneer habit).

Teani
  • RiluoRiluo The Doctor
    edited August 2013

Here is a North-eastern Northern Irish accent. I have lived in Australia a long time so my accent is a bit off!! I hope it helps you out still.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0WTy7gGcpxZ

Oh god my voice sounds stupid

L-)

Abhorash says, "Ve'kahi has proved that even bastards can earn their place."

TeaniHaydynMastemaAryanne
    It doesn't, @Rilou! I love it. :)
    And thanks for helping out!

Aryanne
    You guys are awesome, but you already know that, right?

I'm having a good time compiling all of these things into some smaller bits so I can present it in a good way to my students. It's hilarious and I feel like I have the best job in the world right now. :D

Please keep the voice clips coming!

• Teani: Do you want some of that Pittsburghese? I hate the dialectic speak here but I can likely muscle through a sampling of it if you want.

@Xavin: Please do! Exaggerate as much as you can to make it really awful. :P

• Oh god. Alright, it might take a couple days for me to get to it. But I'll see what I can do.

• I lived an hour or two from the Canadian border for five years and I'm told there a few commonalities between the way I say things and the way Quebecians say things. I'm not sure if that'll really help you with the Canadian accent, though. 

"To be awkward or unkempt, to talk or move wrongly is to be a dangerous giant, a destroyer of worlds...any accurately improper move can poke through the thin sleeve of immediate reality." - Erving Goffman

I'd love one more from that region! Need it soon though, so I can compile everything properly for the lessons. Thanks!