Hunting Grounds & Items

HavenHaven World BurnerFlight School
This discussion was created from comments split from: Ankyrean Anguish - Aetolia-based RAGE.
¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
havenbanner2

Comments

• The way that Hunting Grounds items work.

I don't mind that they make you open PK, I'm legitimately fine with that. I don't like that, once someone grabs them, they can hold onto them in perpetuity until they die or log out. There's no timer on the items and there's no limit to where you can take them...so basically, someone can grab an item, go to their haven and idle for HOURS.

I'm looking at the list of who has what now, and it's the -exact- same people holding the exact same items as it was THREE HOURS ago. Every single person holding an item right now (and all the items are taken or "reassembling") either has a hood/gem or is in a private room or whatever, making them virtually inaccessible to 95% of the playerbase (assuming they're not in a haven, which makes them 100% inaccessible to the playerbase).

How does that make sense? If just -holding- an item makes you open PK and is supposed to encourage more conflict...how does it make sense that there's not a timer on it, so that it resets maybe once a half-hour, or even an hour after getting it? How does it make sense that you can take those "you're now open PK" items and go to your Haven and idle absolutely forever?

Raaaaaaaage at potentially fun items made virtually pointless.

P.S.- Also, Claw is completely pointless. Icons do more damage and hit faster. Seriously.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

(The Front Line): Daskalos says, "<-- artifacts."

HavenArbreHadoryu
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    There was discussion a long time back about having the items eventually give you afflictions or drain health or something to discourage idling with the. Not sure what came of that.
  • edited March 2013
    On the subject of hunting ground items. I think having them either requiring hostile activity whether pk or bashing would be a good idea. Then if possible, make it so vermin, citymates, and instances don't count. I sort of like the idea of havens/instances removing them, but having items meant for conflict actually requiring it, or risking it, seems like the best solution to me. (Also, delete veils)

Perhaps this should have its own thread? Unless there already is one. Too lazy to check.
    EdhainIllikaal
  • SeirSeir Seein' All the Things Getting high off your emotion
    If you want to encourage conflict for the items, change their reset from twelve months to every season.

You could also give the items a set number of charges towards their appointed purpose before they automatically disappear and begin the reforming process in the Hunting Grounds.

I don't think punishing folks for going into their haven is the way to go. It was necessary when I basically hoarded all the items (back when you could have all of them) and chilled in my haven forever because I was targeted as soon as I left it.
    LaniraHavenTeani
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    Seir said:
    I don't think punishing folks for going into their haven is the way to go. It was necessary when I basically hoarded all the items (back when you could have all of them) and chilled in my haven forever because I was targeted as soon as I left it.
    I don't think the player should be able to punish the entire game by venturing into their haven. If you want conflict, go seek it out. If you want to take a break then why should the entire conflict avenue be put on pause just for you? Give up your items if you want a break, that's fair for everyone.
    havenbanner2
    RivasArbreErzsebetLaniraIllikaalTeani
  • SeirSeir Seein' All the Things Getting high off your emotion
    Haven said:
    Seir said:
    I don't think the player should be able to punish the entire game by venturing into their haven. If you want conflict, go seek it out. If you want to take a break then why should the entire conflict avenue be put on pause just for you? Give up your items if you want a break, that's fair for everyone.
    Sounds pretty unnecessary, personally. I can understand if they stay in a "safe" area for an extended period of time, but not as soon as they go to their haven. You shouldn't be punished because you have a HG item and a haven.
  • Seir said:
    Haven said:
    Seir said:
    Sounds pretty unnecessary, personally. I can understand if they stay in a "safe" area for an extended period of time, but not as soon as they go to their haven. You shouldn't be punished because you have a HG item and a haven.
    No, but you should be punished for hoarding HG items in a haven. Having the item and idling in your haven... I see the point, but the whole IDEA of the items making people open PK is to create conflict. NO CONFLICT IF YOU CAN'T BE REACHED. (I know I'm not a PKer, but that's my 2 cents. Take it or leave it)
    RivasArbreHaven
  • ErzsebetErzsebet Altaholic
    I think what Seir's trying to say, is that an immediate reset is unfair. Sometimes you need to go to your haven for something.

IMO--and like Peri I'm a non-com, so... grain of salt and so on, but IMO a timer that started when you went to haven/city/safe place would be the ideal way to address the phenomenon of people getting them and going off and hoarding them in unreachable places.
    imageimage
    Seir
    edited March 2013
    I understand what Seir is saying but I disagree. How is an immediate reset upon entering any Haven unfair? There is absolutely nothing in your Haven that you cannot get/find on the material plane except for 100% security. Private forges, milking rooms, enchantment stations in your Haven? You're in luck. All of these things are just as accessible on the Material Plane. The only thing you're sacrificing is your guaranteed security. A security that goes against the very point of the items you carry.

You want to chill and RP in your Haven? Great! Give up the items so that conflict may continue without you.

Edit: Actually, I'm going to split this into a new thread so the discussion may continue if desired.
    havenbanner2
  • KiyotanKiyotan spectacular vernacular Summit of the Falconmount
    My concern about making the items reset on logout is that you could potentially be screwed if, god forbid, you become disconnected from the internet. That would suck.
    Some may say we've lost our way, but I believe we've not gone far enough.
  • ...wait they DON'T disconnect on logout? wtf, man. Add that to my first post.

If that happens, though...just log back in and grab it! Or go fight and take it back from whoever steals it from you! Conflict!! Yay!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

(The Front Line): Daskalos says, "<-- artifacts."

HavenArbre
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    I think @Haven suggested a timer that ticks down upon entering a safe place, like cities. Why not add the same kind of timer to havens? It would allow you to enter the haven to pick up things you might have stashed away there without the risk of losing the item right off the bat, but you won't be able to idle for more than the stipulated time.

As for disconnect, I agree with @Rivas. Dropping them creates conflict, which is what people grabbing HG items are usually after.

DaskalosPeriluna
  • edited April 2013
    Going to agree with Haven here again and his suggestion to make being in any safe zone start a countdown timer which is paused upon leaving. I don't even see a reason for there to be any way to increase the timer once you're out of the zone, except perhaps when you participate in killing someone; As someone could easily just run around the world, avoiding being touched, or find some other hard to reach location for a bit. Also, nerf veils.
    IllikaalHavenEzalorAngwe
  • IllikaalIllikaal Pray Area
    #Sub {Nerf} {Remove}
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
    EzalorAlexina
    I wish I knew what the admin thought on these issues. Especially on the hood artifact. >>
    havenbanner2
  • EzalorEzalor Emperor D'baen Canada
    Haven said:
    I wish I knew what the admin thought on these issues. Especially on the hood artifact. >>
    LaniraIllikaalLinAardeAlexinaHaven
  • IllikaalIllikaal Pray Area
    Ezalor said:
    Haven said:
    Well actually, Lin made a really good point in a previous discussion on this topic. Razmael, nor any other IRE producer is going to sit up and write 600 dollar checks to everyone who bought hoods. They already have the money that the hood users spent to buy the hoods, and instead, they'll just refund our 2000 credits (if they decided to do so). 
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
  • I'm not fully aware of how the hunting grounds work besides the basic info. What I -do- know is that someone left one of the weapons sitting around in Duiran earlier, and I picked it up, thinking it was someone's customized sword.

I had three people simultaneously tell me to relinquish it and run away :/

Tyrai
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    The only way for others to gain access to one of the HG items you are holding on to is if you die or voluntarily relinquish it. Relinquishing makes it reappear inside the Hunting Grounds, while dying makes you drop it for someone else to pick it up.

Holding on to them means you are open to PK and usually that means whenever you leave a safe place, someone is bound to come chase you down and kill you. If you are up for it, keep the item, but be aware that it's generally high-tier fighters who will be coming after you. It's still your decision though!