Mhun names

SlarnanSlarnan Member, Bot Posts: 2
Hello! I'm new to the game, and was hoping to pick out a good Mhunnish name, but I've been having some trouble finding any guidance on how Mhun names commonly sound.

I've checked the details I could find on the race, as well as Moghedu, and so far I've only managed to find a few named Mhuns in the lore, and one named one in Moghedu itself, and the best I've been able to glean from that is that -entesh is a common suffix for the race (though hardly a necessary one, it would seem, as the current queen doesn't have it?). I was just wondering if there was any more guidance to be found, either on common sounds, other suffixes, or anything else.


(and as a totally different subject, any tips on becoming a were-unicorn?)

Comments

  • TekiasTekias WisconsinMember Posts: 290 ✭✭✭
    I have no input to offer on the main point of this post, however for the Postscript, beg and pesk Tiur for a glorious April 1st event.

    (no, don't really do this)
    Formerly: Spiegel. Eidycue.

    Hi.

    image
  • RaahRaah Member Posts: 10 Immortal
    As a rule of thumb, name stems are more flexible than the suffixes that get attached to them, and often draw inspiration from the communities that Mhun grow up in, if outside of Moghedu. (Hence why one Mhun is called Timothentesh - he's named after Sir Timothy the Red!)

    -entesh is a common suffix, and is the genitive form of the word 'earth'. Applied to a stem, it means [X] of/from the earth. It carries strong religious connotations. -tesh, without the 'en', is also common; it's the unmodified stem form.

    -ai is another common suffix, especially in Mhun from younger generations, and it's a gender-neutral form. -ai evokes the wind and breath, by contrast to the -entesh suffix; it carries a connotation of delicacy and malleability, by contrast to the more solid and traditional form of '-entesh'.

    You may also want to reference this thread, which contains far, far more than you ever wanted to know about Mhun. Note that suffixes outside the first two, while possible, are uncommon and would stand out - you'd want to lean toward the genitive declensions for those, if you take that approach.
  • RaahRaah Member Posts: 10 Immortal
    Addendum:

    Get to level 200 and maybe, maybe we can talk about were-unicorns.

    No promises.
  • SlarnanSlarnan Member, Bot Posts: 2
    edited March 6
    Thank you so much for the answers, even if my dreams of killing people with sparklerays have been so abruptly killed.

    I've read a good bit of what IC sources I've been able to find so far, and read through everything in that forum thread, but it unfortunately did not quite have more then I wanted to know, so I was hoping I might be able to ask a few more questions:


    Under current Moghedu leadership/culture, how frequent or easy is it to move between castes, or out of the cast one has been born into? The laws state that elective education will be provided for those under eighteen, but how does this work in practice?

    The thread states that Moghedu, at least under the priesthood, worshiped the last great Mhunna as a spirit, but IC sources seem to make little mention of this. Has the shift to understanding the spirits as part of the Albedi pantheon changed their prior worship of the last great Mhunna?

    Similarly to the question above, the Nhusema Kuy refers to the Mhun spirits by their Mhun name + their Albedi name. Is this now common practice for those who follow the traditional faith?
  • RaahRaah Member Posts: 10 Immortal
    Slarnan said:

    Thank you so much for the answers, even if my dreams of killing people with sparklerays have been so abruptly killed.

    I've read a good bit of what IC sources I've been able to find so far, and read through everything in that forum thread, but it unfortunately did not quite have more then I wanted to know, so I was hoping I might be able to ask a few more questions:

    Sure thing.
    Slarnan said:

    Under current Moghedu leadership/culture, how frequent or easy is it to move between castes, or out of the cast one has been born into? The laws state that elective education will be provided for those under eighteen, but how does this work in practice?

    Moving between castes is a fairly hard thing to do - social mobility basically isn't a thing if you're a Laborer or a Crafter, and caste hierarchies are firmly entrenched.
    Slarnan said:

    The thread states that Moghedu, at least under the priesthood, worshiped the last great Mhunna as a spirit, but IC sources seem to make little mention of this. Has the shift to understanding the spirits as part of the Albedi pantheon changed their prior worship of the last great Mhunna?

    Correct - worshiping the Mhunna as a spirit constituted a particularly aggressive form of the religion under theocratic rule. It's much less common under the monarchy.
    Slarnan said:

    Similarly to the question above, the Nhusema Kuy refers to the Mhun spirits by their Mhun name + their Albedi name. Is this now common practice for those who follow the traditional faith?

    The hardcore traditionalists stick with the Mhun names. Using the full combination is considered formal. Using the Albedi names exclusively is associated more with the younger generations + less traditional worldviews.
Sign In or Register to comment.