Austin, TX meet March 2015

Hey all,

So one of my favorite things to do in Austin is SxSW which is March 13-17. I am proposing we should try for a meet during that weekend (March 13-15). Who's up for trying to make something happen? If enough people are interested, lodging arrangements can be figured out, but for now, just want to see who all would be seriously interested in coming down for a meet.

Comments

• Mar 16-20 is my spring break, and I'm already planning to meet up with a friend in Austin for it - so potentially me!

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

XeniaSibatti
  • TragerTrager Raiding your underwear drawer.
    Meeeeeeeeeeee.
    Indoran'i is back baby. It's go-... Oh.

Sibatti
  • Whats SxSW?
    (Oasis): Benedicto says, "There was like 0.5 seconds between "Oh hey, they're in area. That was quick." and "OMFG THEY'RE IN THE AREA STAHP STAHP!""

• South by Southwest. Music Festival.

Politics
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Depending on how job stuff works out and finances look, I might be able to swing it. Would really love to hang out with Xenia and Sibatti and Trager (and Toz, too, I *guess*).
  • Same as Moirean, if I don't have to work the weekend, I'll see if I can make.
    (Oasis): Benedicto says, "There was like 0.5 seconds between "Oh hey, they're in area. That was quick." and "OMFG THEY'RE IN THE AREA STAHP STAHP!""

• SibattiSibatti Mamba dur Naya Amidst vibrant flora and trees
    In, of course!
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    Apparently I'm supposed to go, it may happen
    TragerSibatti
  • If you come @Jensen, I demand a flip cop challenge.

that where we get drunk and flip off a cop or get drunk and flip over a cop? Im game for either.
    Sibatti
  • the first one, you once claimed that you were the flipcup king, and I dared to challenge that I could out flipcup your flipcup. Flipping over cups though...so long as there's a pool involved, then I'm game.

you demanded a flip cop challenge. I will flip a cop
    It's happeninnnnnnnnng.
  • At the risk of dispersing this party..

I'd like to say that I will attend.
    Ashmer
  • Depends on my work schedule, and if I am actually up to getting wasted, and potentially PK'd.
    So quick note, this is actually two weekends long. You can view the 2015 SXSW schedule here.

Xenia's earlier post about it being on the 13th-15th would actually be more around the film showcases (which are still cool), with the following weekend (20th-22nd) timed better if you're more about the music.

Just something to keep in mind if you're planning a trip here! Of course, Xenia and I will be here for all of it and would be happy to entertain on either weekends (inb4 @Xenia‌ corrects me for speaking on her behalf).
  • I am up for either weekend, yes. As for hosting, I perhaps have less freedom to offer up t po hysically host people -- I have limited space and my boyfriend would be a bit hesitant about an open invitation.

• I may be down for this.

70%, as long as I'm in the country.
    Yeah I wasn't talking about hosting. That's still going to be somewhat up in the air for me as well.
  • This is like, the master list of people I want to meet that I haven't yet, and I'm incredibly sad that I can't afford to go.
    Feelings, sensations that you thought were dead. No squealin' remember, that it's all in your head.
    I was debating blowing my first paycheck on credits, but I guess I'll be responsible and blow it on this meet instead. What date do people want to do? I'd prefer the music weekend. My step-brother will maybe be there for that as well so I'd like to coordinate seeing him.
  • For some reason the tickets are 50 bucks cheaper on the second weekend. I'm trying to figure out how I can do this and not spend like 1500 bucks, but I'm not seeing it happening. It'll be tax time, though. That'll make me feel a little better about myself.
    edited November 2014
    My step-brother's gone a few times and he's saying you can feasibly just hang out around town without actually buying a ticket, apparently there's lots of stuff that goes on - since there are a bunch of us, will we even want to go to concerts?

I haven't gotten a job yet, so I dunno what my finances are going to be, but $1k is probably going to be too much.
  • In regards to SxSW, unless it's drastically changed, you do not need to buy a ticket. I never have. There are plenty of shows and things to do for free or paying at the door. I would not recommend purchasing a SxSW wristband.

• I'm mostly thinking.. 400-500 for a ticket, I'm imagining hotels around there are 180+, so for Fri/Sat/maybe Thursday or Sunday, we're talking 400 bucks easily. We're pushing 900 already and I haven't even started partying or eating yet. :) I'm still down, just considering how to approach it.
    Do we want to move it to a different weekend? It will definitely be cheaper, and we can still have fun without the massive music festival - I mean, it IS Austin.
  • I need to visit the infamous taco truck :(
    Feelings, sensations that you thought were dead. No squealin' remember, that it's all in your head.
    SibattiTrager
    Bumping this for visibility. Xenia and I were talking about this the other day. Who's down?
    I'm probably not traveling for fun this year
    I'd like to come but I think March is too soon financially.