Weaponry is too expensive

Pretty much as it says in the title. I'm talking in terms of optimizing the skillset.

To buy a level 3 augmentation rune isn't that bad, you get the cutting or bludgeoning on top of it and it's still cheaper than say.... level 3 knuckles of magic potence. In my mind, it's fair, it only becomes an issue if you dual wield or use multiple weapons between classes or for hunting and pvp separately.

In regards to multiple weapons, the venantium magnet is horrendously expensive just to have access to the runes you've bought without destroying the weapon. It also has a long cooldown.

If you do destroy the weapon, it then needs to be remade which takes someone that has,

1. Chosen Forging as their sole mercantile skill.
2. Transcended it for optimal stats.
3. Has a forging hammer. No one wants a sub - par weapon. This makes owning a hammer essential for anyone looking to forge for something other than aesthetics. The hammer is 750 credits just to use the already transcended trade skill to it's potential.

TL;DR the issue is this,

1. The magnet feels shockingly overpriced.
2. The forging hammer makes forging very expensive and anyone that deals with weapons decaying instead of just using class skills like decay has issues with replacements.

Comments

• JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    anyone know what the damage increases are for lvl 1,2,3 runes vs lvl 1,2,3 knuckles or similar? I wonder if it compares with the costs. IE will 2 lvl 3 runes dual wieded cost more or less than lvl 3 knuckles and will it put out more or less damage improvements
  • I'm not sure about DPS. Less damage, certainly, but you get a speed increase. Speed also increases afflict rate if the speed is capped before you put the rune on. In that case though, the difference between level 2 and level 3 would be next to nothing due to diminishing returns.
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    It would be cool if the hammer got an upgrade to repair weapons like we used to be able to.
    JensenIshin
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    I think part of it is the feeling that some classes have a much more heavy demand to have these artifacts and top-level forging. Anyone can forge a weapon for a Teradrim or a Syssin, because a flail and a dirk only need one stat capped, and runes won't do anything, whereas a Carnifex, Templar or vamp will be shooting themselves in the foot buying a non-hammer-forged weapon, and can only achieve really great output with a weapon rune.

I don't mind weapon runes making stuff nicer, and I like that the forging hammer can make people super-forgers, but maybe the impact is too big...or FEELS too big, due to the cost and limited number of classes it applies to.
  • edited September 2014
    I have a few suggestions...

One is to remove the rune system altogether. Move the benefits from runes to stuff like... a belt, you know, regular artifact powers like "surgical" for cutting or "mastery" for augmentation.

The hammer could be dropped entirely and it's benefit just worked into the skillset. Really, if you compare the hammer to the scalpel / carving knife and other crafting items it should just be there for saving commodities. Areka's suggestion that adds to the decay duration on something is interesting but it would create an issue in the case of armour due to augments.

Teradrim still get damage off a rune I'm pretty sure and Syssin get a bit of speed? Syssin also get garotte damage on the whip. Either way it's expensive for the benefit you get, but as Moirean said, less necessary.

Praenomen get it very hard because triple afflicts are essential for PvP, you need the venom. So not only do you need a forged weapon, you need to transcend the weaponry skill on top of your class skills to PvP. Crown also becomes a bit of a must due to using balance and eq unlike DSL classes.
    Kraz
    No. Please keep weapon runes. Runes let us loan weapons out to people and create things like a cool guild weapon with a person rune. I love that we can do that.

@Rowena - Teradrim might get some stat boost but due to scaling stats, it's not going to be noticed at all in practical effects. It's a waste of credits.
    Ishin
  • You could still do that with the rune of transformation after the suggested change as the rune would be unaffected by it.

You shouldn't really be able to indefinitely loan damage stats, you can't do that with any other artifact power, they always return.

Until they give us guild arties, I think it's a pretty cool option to have - if I want to shell out 1k+ credits to make my guild a cool prize for a newer player to have (one that I don't get to use in the interim), I don't see how it's detrimental to the game. If anything, it gets more people excited about stuff and interested in purchasing one of their own later.
    JensenArekaTarleich
  • or just change the transformation arti to be a hour cooldown like the class switching arti is.. then you get to switch runes each time you can class switch..
    Mudlet Bashing System for sale. Message if interested
    MoireanJensen
  • You're putting one item for the Carnifex over other people that deal with multiclassing between weaponry classes or going from balanced stats for hunting to speed for pvp.

It's not something most other guilds have access to either because they don't use weapons.

It's just a case of you enjoying something otherwise detrimental that's basically a loophole anyway as long term loans of artifacts don't exist.
    ArekaJensen
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    Weeee we're going to derail, but I like what Moi is doing there. Sounds like fun!
    MoireanIshin
  • Guild artifacts should exist, they're cool in other games where guilds have champions. I like THAT idea.

I don't like that a loophole that benefits one group of players is being used as justification for a painful mechanic. Weapon runes are a quality of life issue that classes that don't use weapons and invest in other artifacts for comparable benefits do not need to deal with.
    edited September 2014
    Or you can just do what Nalor suggested and have everyone be happy, instead of nerfing one group. Killing the fun for others to equalize things is the more attritious and unnecessary option of the ones available, and Nalor's suggestion entices more credits being purchased while also addressing the issue.

Nobody had an issue with me doing this for Carni until 45 minutes ago. It clearly wasn't negatively impacting gameplay.
    Ishin
  • It's been a problem for a long time, I've only just decided to be vocal about it because I'm not frugal.

Making the magnet better still makes it an added expense to use something that can already be very expensive for what it is which goes back to the title,

Weaponry is too expensive.
  • NalorNalor UK
    edited September 2014
    Then not to sound like an Ass, dont buy runes? Many people play the game, weapon classes, etc etc without the need of runes, Runes are an addictional thing which of course Admin are going to make a profit off..

Or as I said before make the arti you mentioned an hour cooldown so when you switch classes you can also switch the runes onto that class.. As if your say templar youd need to buy 2 sets of runes anyway.. so what should happen with them if your complainin/made this post about buying the one set or runes?

And yes im not trying to be an ass, just trying to make a point..

example

Vamp weaon - runes

You switch to carnifex

Carnifex bardiache .. if ya bored of bardiache an hour after if you dont wish to switch to a new class, you can switch to warhammer runes.

So instead of once again messing up weaonry artifact (runes) just change that 1 arti.. seems more profitable for the Game plus, better value as even the templar cooldown on mastery is an hour (from what I remember) so templars can also switch between mastery / runes as easy
    Mudlet Bashing System for sale. Message if interested
    Moirean
  • Ignoring the runes,

The forging hammer is still an issue. Other crafting items don't make the end product better to the point you wont buy potions unless they're made by such and such with this artifact.

I'm just trying to make a point as well that yes, artifacts are an additional extra and obviously, they're going to cost. Comparably, the costs are skewed however in a way that punishes weapon classes financially more than classes that use magic potence or knuckles etc.

It's a quality of life complaint as much as a cost one.
    The forging hammer and forging in general was brought up a while back. Oleis chatted with us in those posts, and it was clear that he came to understand the issues. I suspect it's just a matter of dev time and priorities, as he expressed that's something worth looking into eventually.
  • I wouldn't say forging couldn't use some tweaks but as stated can't say I really agree with the problem. Forging and weapons is kind of just a unique thing. Artifacts are all expensive. 600 credits is CHEAP!
    ArekaIshin
  • One thing I would say is a problem is the disparity between two handed weapons and one handed weapons. Having to buy two runes for full effect sucks!
    MoireanAreka
    I can see that being sucky. It would definitely deter me if I used two 1-hs.
  • The forging hammer is part of the expense of being a weaponry class that just also happens to make the runes inconvenient to use.

Weaponry classes are just hard done by because of forging, weapons and runes.

It doesn't seem right that it should cost a lot more to play a weaponry class than a class that doesn't use weapons.
  • The 1h vs 2h issue would be fixed if it was just a regular artifact power instead of an artifact that you attach to something.
  • I don't see forging hammer as a cost to weaponry, since you can just find someone who has one to forge for you. And if you think other classes arti's are cheaper you're just being silly!
    Areka
  • As I said on the initial post, on it's own, it's fine. Switching between weapons for say, PvP and PvE, or between classes, it's not fine. Knuckles between Prae and Monk is still knuckles. Runes between classes are not.

The hammer is fine if someone is around with one, but it limits the amount of people you can go to for effective replacement weapons unless you want to pay for a 1000 credit mercantile skill between the cost of the hammer and transcending it.
    It depends on the class combination. Switching from Monk to Teradrim is not the same thing. You can make elective decisions to have your artifacts stack between classes (strength for strength classes versus bouncing between EQ/INT and BAL/STR, etc).

In turn, it depends on what all you are doing. You can get a non-hammered' extreme tempered weapon and rune it and be past the 180 threshold easily (175 speed + 6 from level 1 = 181, and with diminishing returns, the higher and higher speeds make less and less of a difference).

There are all sorts of limitations in things for who you can go to - from training combat, to crafting, to making equipment. Carving knives make a big difference for restocking vials, as does an active concoctionist.

I think this discussion would go better if each issue was more cleanly bulleted into its own topic rather than blurring together.
  • I agree it's getting blurred together.

The main complaint is that due to a combination of factors weaponry classes land up being costlier than non - weaponry classes for no apparent reason.

Even within the same class, if you're playing Templar you used balanced swords for hunting and a fast sword for PvP. So you either buy two sets of runes, or the overpriced magnet, or invest in forging so you can use the weapon runes. The weapon runes, of course, being an optional extra.

The point is not that it's not worth buying, that's a personal choice, the point is that other classes with optional extras of comparable benefit don't have the same hurdles. The hurdles make it harder to take advantage of a comparable benefit to potence / knuckles etc.

Forging hammer is an issue on it's own but as I said before, no other tradeskill arti works remotely similar. You don't get better health potions or better vials. If the hammer was following the trend of other tradeskill artis it would let you forge cheaper, not better.
  • I could probably do easy math that proved almost any class costs just as much OR MORE, even when you added in the extra such as a forging hammer, or even dual wielding.
  • edited September 2014
    I don't play Templar. I also have practically every artifact worth buying. This isn't personal because I can't afford something, the reason I haven't voiced this earlier is precisely because I can, and have purchased said items.

This is just me trying to point out a discrepancy that can negatively effect the quality of life of a group of players, predominately knights.
  • Just saying it's not a discrepancy when everything else is more or less on equal footing. Some classes might be cheaper, but I doubt very few are when taken to maximum potential.
    Or you make a choice to not buy runes for everything. Stat runes on top of speed weapons is a bit of a waste of money, especially level 3's. You have to make decisions.

I have a stat rune on my warhammer which I use in bashing AND PK for DSW, then speed weapons and a damage weapon which I don't bother to rune because of diminishing returns.

Now weapon classes IN GENERAL are more expensive than others to fully equip (especially Knight with Fullplate + weapon sets for each avenue if you don't *make a choice to double up*). However, you simply do not need to rune every single weapon you own.

I do think that the magnet is painfully overpriced, especially with having two one-hand weapons and switching between say, scimitars and maces (small bludgeons benefit more from weapon runes, or in general split-focus items).
This discussion has been closed.