Roleplaying statistics

Comments

• JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    @elie it's hard to do that and have a well balanced and playable character. Pk and to a lesser extent hunting require statpacks that reflect your class skills.
    IshinXavin
  • Which reflects trends in what sort of person picks up what sort of skills.

Sorta, unless you multiclass
  • ErzsebetErzsebet Altaholic
    I always did it based in RP, generally. Though it makes less sense with people switching to multi-class. MAN BEING A STR-BASED CLASS MAKES ME DUMB. Woo! Cabalist! 16 Int! Back to doing smart-people things. For science!

In some sense, this could be explained away by like--I know a large chunk of Cabalists have a shapeshifting class as well. For an example, it makes sense, in a way, that one would gain strength and lose -access- to their more fine-tuned reasoning abilities while embracing the more feral nature of their shapeshifting beast-types, which could account for a shift from intelligent/clever to muscular/athletic (or whatever). But...most classes don't really have an in-built excuse for that, and that also doesn't really account for the same group of people having people who -don't- switch statpacks when they go into shapeshifting class, etcetera.

I mostly just solve this on a personal level by not multi-classing. Even characters that have multiple classes are pretty much only ever in one class. And-or have other classes that are suited to the same statpack.

But a lot of the time, it's just a suspension of disbelief, thing. >.>

That said...it still bugs me every time I see a slight tiny girl of a character with a description that says she's this diminutive, delicate, dainty thing, and then has a statpack like muscular. What.

Typical and Normal kinda annoy me for endgame characters too, though less so than the muscular tinygirl--mostly because there -is- no typical/normal.
    imageimage
    I'm just your typical yeleni vampire cannibal
    ErzsebetEmelle
    Weeeell. Erz could probably pull off typical. Dragon-themed endgame is pretty standard these days. >.>
    imageimage
    Jensen
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    I never pay attention to others peoples statpacks unless I'm considering mechanical stuff. Just assume shadow stats like "wisdom" and "charisma." and count some strength as preternatural despite the build, or intelligence as a measure of mental force rather than ability to actually think.
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    edited July 2014
    Yeah I think getting miffed over statpacks is unnecessarily punishing people for mechanics. I don't even know why that shows on examine anymore, tbh - as Irruel pointed out a while ago, there aren't glaring weaknesses to exploit anymore (ie old-school Raja and fire) so we don't need to know the statpack at all. I think it's an outdated thing and we could absolutely do away with displaying statpacks when we examine someone and everything would be just fine.
    AshmerReux
    How many pure or semi avid pkers actually examine people? Even when I rp I'll get halfway through before I realize I should know what the person looks like.
    IshinIrruelHaven
  • SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    Uh...

• I often forget to look at people when I go back for additional RPs.

If you switched clothes on me, or changed something about your appearance, chances are I might not realize.

And I'm sorry, but if you grew wings overnight and didn't emote them.. probably didn't notice. And I don't feel bad for not, because damn. When I walk into a room I don't have to study someone to see the giant wings on their back, or the fact that their -sex- changed. That's an instant snap shot that just registers, so if you RP with me for an hour and then complain that I didn't notice when I leave. Hrmph!

Also if your description says you are 14 feet tall, you've instantly become a five foot tall nerdy guy with glasses in my mind.
    Srsly. I spam look a lot, but you shouldn't assume that people do. If it's an obvious change and/or a major part of their physical form, it should definitely be readily apparent in one's emotes.
    imageimage
    IshinEmelleHaven
  • AshmerAshmer Barefoot Adventurer Life
    Erzsebet said:

Srsly. I spam look a lot, but you shouldn't assume that people do. If it's an obvious change and/or a major part of their physical form, it should definitely be readily apparent in one's emotes.

This. I've gotten three or four emotes in before I emote one of Ashmer's many handsome facial features, such as the webbed crest, subcutaneous moving crawlies, or the black teeth.

People (like @Xenia) regularly double-take at that point and go wait wtf. looks

That's when I started including that stuff in almost every emote. <.<

the way she tells me I'm hers and she is mine

open hand or closed fist would be fine

blood as rare and sweet as cherry wine

I'll be honest, I find it kinda over-the-top. That's just how I feel in general about people who repeatedly reference their character's features in every few emotes.
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    Rajas and Atavians with their damn tail flicks, ear flicks and wing shifts, man.
    Every now and then is nice and ambient. It's when every emote details someone's hair curls or eye color or rotting scab or tail twist or lustrous wings or or or....
  • AshmerAshmer Barefoot Adventurer Life
    Moirean said:

Every now and then is nice and ambient. It's when every emote details someone's hair curls or eye color or rotting scab or tail twist or lustrous wings or or or....

Guilty of thiiiiiis.

the way she tells me I'm hers and she is mine

open hand or closed fist would be fine

blood as rare and sweet as cherry wine

Jensen
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    I think stuff like that can be semi-important, though it should be used expressively but not just as filler, emote wise.
    Erzsebet
  • PiperPiper Master Crumbs
    edited July 2014
    In regards to descriptions not entirely matching statpacks...I'm just going to throw out there that some people can pick Wise as their statpack and there isn't any amount of roleplay that might prove that to be true. We all know that one person that makes you slam face into the palm of your hand.

I think it's amusing how often muscular vs other statpacks are being stared at funny for descriptions while the more mental ones aren't in regards to interactions. Basically, I think they're all silly and I think people shouldn't really frown TOO hard if a person doesn't consider it a big thing.
    XeniaCarivahEmelle
  • Muscular doesn't have to be Arnold Schwartzenegger, it can be like, Madonna.
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    Wuh eva! Wuh eva! I RP wuh I wan.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    MephistolesXeniaEmelleIshinPiperStathan
  • Lim said:

Muscular doesn't have to be Arnold Schwartzenegger, it can be like, Michelle Obama. Look at those arms.

qft

I mean, you know, an amount.

Ishin
  • Haven said:

Wuh eva! Wuh eva! I RP wuh I wan.

I didn't know 'tinderbox' was RP!

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

StathanHaven
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    I read everyone's descriptions...

I've even been known to beg people to ATTIRE CONCEAL their 4000 pieces of jewelery, magic rings, ylem gauntlet/amulet, ect. ect.

I actually payed @Ciri a credit to CONCEAL some stuff once, I think.
    EmelleIshin
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    Lol you're insane.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    AngweIshin
  • I personally don't like to conceal what I'm wearing. On one hand, I understand that it makes my description more spammy. But I feel like anything that I'm wearing that isn't actually under a piece of clothing would be visible, so I don't like to conceal it. I know that's not how everyone thinks about this, but that's my own stance on it.
    If people have more than like 8-10 items, I just don't read any of them. Same with descriptions that are like 15 lines long. I'm sure there's some sort of sciencey explanation for that, visual noise, brain function, I dunno, maybe that's why we use indents for paragraphs. /tangent
    EmelleIshin
  • RiluoRiluo The Doctor
    I am a waking jewellery store, but I only let people see:

(Partly concealed beneath his cowl) : an ancestral crown of Nebre'seir
    (Masking his frame in chaotic shadows) : a cloak of obscurity
    (Burned and re-inked upon its neck) : a black-inked tattoo of a pair of crossed fists
    (coated in ice) : a pair of silver and azure bracers

Otherwise it would be dozens of items >.<

Abhorash says, "Ve'kahi has proved that even bastards can earn their place."

Jensen
  • AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    edited July 2014
    I get unproportionally disturbed by people capitalizing their attired message. And then some people use capitalized letters for some items and lowercase for other items and my brain becomes sad and confused.

(not entirely serious, but still kinda-sort-of)
    EmelleAngwe
  • RiluoRiluo The Doctor
    dOn'T bE sAd. iT iS ONly LeTTerS :P

Abhorash says, "Ve'kahi has proved that even bastards can earn their place."

PiperMoireanHaven