Roleplaying statistics

This thread isn't about crunching numbers, I don't have those, rather an odd tidbit I've stumbled across.

How many people actually roleplay their characters statistics as in strength, dexterity, intelligence, constitution?

I know I've done it before as has Tina with her being quite dexterous and me being quite hardy and strong. I was wondering what others thought about the matter, are the stats purely mechanical or do they serve an RP purpose?

Comments

• IngramIngram Alaska
    I mostly pay attention to.. lifestyle of the character, in addition to things like level, might, etc.

So, if I'm going up in a bar-brawl fist-fight thing against an... aristocratic Cabalist? I'd expect to Ingram to win. If they're a six-five Horkval or Xoran, or a Carnifex, or a barhopping drunken unruly type with more might and level, Ingram would probably lose.

Although this depends on the other person and whether they think the same way.
    Mephistoles
  • I think you do need to take that into consideration at times. But the bar-brawl example, in this day and age of multiclassing, who is to say that aristocratic Cabalist isn't also an avid practitioner of tekura?

I don't really think the intelligence stat is really a measure of how smart a character is, rather it is a measure of how much magical potential they have. Otherwise we'd see anyone in a low int statpack being really...well, derpy in character.

Mephistoles
  • I play agile Indorani like Gambit.

ROYAL FLUSH. FWP FWP FWP!
  • And then there are some derp ass people out there with like a 20 int. :)

I don't really ever play my stats, because shit. How do you justify it with an artifact that basically allows you to change your body any time you want?

I AM FAST. STRONG. STRONG AND FAST. SMART AND STRONG. REEEALLLY HEALTHY.

Like Ingram said, I'll take some things into consideration. Back when Trager was PKing a lot and I hadn't started participating in that, we still RP'd out fights as if Rashar was at least holding his own, because Rashar was bigger and there's a difference between beating someone up and killing them.

I also refuse to not RP my other classes just because I'm not switched to them, so there is Xavin's point. Half the damn game is trans kung fu. We're all murderers of thousands, literally. You learn a trick or two.

Emelle
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    I tend to RP my characters with bad and good days to balance things out. Sometimes they will be feeling a bit weaker and more prone to losing things like fights and arguments. Sometimes they are more stubborn, hardy, nimble and able to hold their own. Also, it depends on the opponent and the situation.

• JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    My statpack changes enough to have that not make sense. I RP like a final fantasy cutscene. Hurt in a fight, die np! Hurt during RP event, broken limbs for a while!
    RowenaIshin
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    I roleplay around the statpack concept and less-so the stats. Areka has ever been Muscular or Powerful or Resilient, so isn't a natural scholar, is good with her hands and rather large, and has to really work at mathematics and things because they don't come naturally. Now, if she wanted to really focus on a different training (to become more wise or intelligent), it would shift with a loss of one and development of the other (though as a Troll would never really be as adept/intuitive with it. The difference between someone who plays an instrument vs a musician).
    Stathan
  • StathanStathan Hot springs
    I've gone through demonstrating the strength of the guild more-so than the actual statpack. Ergo, the Sentaari hone their bodies to weapons, very strong, yada yada. I do that aspect of it rather than "Oh I have 18 str, I'm strong, me hulk." or, in the words of @Areka , "Reka smash!"
  • RP fights make me uncomfortable on an ooc level. Though Toz is strong physically because that is his shtick, all his life he has been working at it.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

StathanIshinFaerah
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    edited July 2014
    @Stathan - that's why I don't do it so much on the stat. I'll take things into consideration, like the stars (except she's always powered by ulgar), but otherwise it's the general concept. "She's muscular, she's not a graceful ballet dancer so more likely to spring a trap/break furniture rather than skid around it, she can deflect rather than dodge, can resist physical pressures but if she loses her balance it's more of a problem." type things.

Edit: Or "I can beat you at arm-wrestling but your vocabulary confuses me."
    StathanEmelleErzsebet
  • Kerryn made Rashar run through this obstacle course once and Rashar smashed everything in his way because grr, mad and not doing some fancy dance shit.

Learning things like monk/syssin, and I gradually made him more graceful and such. He still tends to go with the head smash as a first line when angry though.

If you're big, use it!
    ArekaStathan
  • StathanStathan Hot springs
    @Areka Oh, I quite agree. The only reason Stat is a tad balanced at all is because yaytekura training. Splits and stuff just to master forms. Sprints and so on during "learning" the skills. He's strong, but balanced because of his training as a monk. He could probably stand shoulder to shoulder with @Areka and they'd make an imposing wall, but where she'd lose her balance and tumble he'd catch himself and roll.

Little things like that make RP so fun to me. Being able to stare at someone with the same "stats" and have completely different builds and reactions, reflexes and so forth.
    Areka
    Rashar said:

If you're big, use it!

That's what she said
    StathanIshinOmeiRiluoTrager
  • AarbrokAarbrok Breaking things...For Science San Diego, CA
    Omei said:

HEY DAMARIEL, I HEARD ALBEDOS HAS HUGE RESERVES OF YLEM

Fixed.
    MoireanStathanAshmerOmei
  • + Damariel mot Lanosaryon, the Unbound -----------------------------------+ | Strength : 25(+11) Dexterity : 25(+13) Timeout : 9001 minutes | | Intelligence : 25(+12) Constitution : 25(+12) Freedom : 9001(+8932) |

In case there was any doubt.
    StathanIshinEmelle
  • Damariel said:

+ Damariel mot Lanosaryon, the Unbound -----------------------------------+ | Strength : 25(+11) Dexterity : 25(+13) Timeout : 9001 minutes | | Intelligence : 25(+12) Constitution : 25(+12) Freedom : 9001(+8932) |

Why are your stats lower than @Omei's? I'm pretty certain she posted ones that were much higher.
    Stathan

Damariel said:

+ Damariel mot Lanosaryon, the Unbound -----------------------------------+ | Strength : 25(+11) Dexterity : 25(+13) Timeout : 9001 minutes | | Intelligence : 25(+12) Constitution : 25(+12) Freedom : 9001(+8932) |

Why are your stats lower than @Omei's? I'm pretty certain she posted ones that were much higher.

Freedom isnt Free, it costs a statpack
    MoireanAngweErzsebet
  • AuresaeAuresae Minneapolis
    His are better than mine.
    + Auresae, Goddess of Fire -----------------------------------------------+
    | Strength     : 50(+36) Dexterity    : 50(+38) Timeout   : 0 minutes     |
    | Intelligence : 50(+37) Constitution : 15(+2)  Statpack  : Typical       |
    +-------------------------------------------------------------------------+
  • TIL I have more hp than Auresae on like. All my alts.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

ErzsebetAryanne
  • Have you seen how often She goes through vessels? She's probably the glass cannon of the Pools.

i am rapture coder
    PiperAryanneTrager
  • Auresae's stats are more like it. I could pretty much get Damariel's strength if there wasn't a cap.

The low con is a surprise though.
  • I've always seen RPing a Troll like RPing low Int.

If those are God stats, @Alexina‌ is definitely a Demi - Goddess.

• MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Pretty sure gods can plunk stat points wherever they want. Liaisons can, in the arena. I mean, Gods don't NEED stats. It's not like Damariel is sitting around bashing, going, "OMG GUYS ONLY 4% UNTIL I CAN ADD 1% CRIT TO MY AXIOMBLUDGEONTRUTHSTUFF."

Omei, though, man, yeah, she totally is a basher. She's just weird. I can see it.
    EmelleAryanne
  • I bash players.

i am rapture coder
    MephistolesEmelleHavenPiperStathanLimIshinAshmerAryanne
  • AshmerAshmer Barefoot Adventurer Life
    Best statpack for a God? Typical.

SHE IS A TYPICAL DIVINE

the way she tells me I'm hers and she is mine

open hand or closed fist would be fine

blood as rare and sweet as cherry wine

Aryanne
  • SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    typical Immortal, tyvm.

• I tend to keep statpack in mind when I figure the build of a character. Athletic have athletic builds, normal and typical have average builds, hardy/resil tend to be 'big boned', muscular... and so forth. Beyond that, nothing else.

When I play a lifer, anyway.
    I mean, you know, an amount.

Emelle
  • I choose my statpack based on my RP. But I'm that kind of dork, I guess. >.>

MephistolesErzsebetPiper