Lore questions.

Comments

• You can survive disembowelment, trampling, shattered limbs, being electrocuted. I've seen people walk away from a hammer bashing their chest in, a halberd through their stomach, with a wolf hanging off of each leg gnawing for all they're worth. Eld that split their bodies into a million pieces and shoot themselves at you, only to re-form and attack again. Death, pain, suffering? It's just a part of life - we die, we come back, we die, we come back. Death is fleeting, but if my thong doesn't match my bra? That may last a lifetime.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

SaritaIshinPerilunaFurtumTsvanni
  • edited April 2014
    There's a mastercard ad in there somewhere.

Edit: Got distracted and forgot to ask the question I came to this thread about.

During the mad-bahkatu-guard thing today, I heard someone state something along the lines of, "I've got the answer, straight from the horse's mouth (i.e. Damariel). Bahkatu get their power from the leylines and the leylines are all funky so that's why they're mad."

My first thought was, "Well of course they get their power from the leylines. We've known that since day one of the bahkatu/atabahi."

My second thought was, the leylines (seams) that were such a prominent part of Ashtan's history, architecture and culture - are they just part of Aetolia conveniently forgotten on purpose, or were they in fact actually the same leylines we all know about today? Just interpreted (and used) differently.

I'd left Ashtan and caring about all that balance stuff long before the Dreikathi invasion, so it hasn't occurred to me to question this until now.
  • EleanorEleanor FOR SCIENCE
    Muahahaha. FOIG on that one my friend.

• Please, madam. The material cannot ride up our butts when we are fighting.
  • MaghakMaghak The heights of Stormcaller Crag
    This is actually a bit of a spoiler, but since it's not accessible in-game at all I'm fairly comfortable sharing it. 

The Mystics were actually a very interesting set of mortal people! They were the only known Sapience culture in prehistory to actually manage to harness the leylines other than the Ankyreans - and they did so entirely without machinery or devices of any kind. Naturally their approach was a bit less technical than that of the Ankyreans (or the Dreikathi), but they did manage to manifest some curious results (like lycanthropy). There's a good reason that the Grand Artifice around the Misty Isles was so strong that it took the Sword of Lanos to cut through it; Severn did NOT want the leyline documentation resurfacing.

Leylines are woven in and out of a great deal of the Aetolian lore if you care to look hard enough!
  • Eleanor said:
    Muahahaha. FOIG on that one my friend.
    Yeah.
    I was thinking much the same when I was writing the post.
    Except, I sort of feel that I already learned the answer back in the day, and since forgot it when I stopped playing.

I've forgotten the details of so much lore that I used to know really well, and it's frustrating because I don't remember where I learned it from originally.

I did like the Ashtan/mystics/leylines/balance lore. I thought it was well done (albeit really misunderstood by the majority of the playerbase), so it's nice to hear here, that it is still relevant.
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    Okay, so I was having this discussion on web and after some debate... I figured I might as well come and ask the source!

Are there any gods currently known with the actual -affliction/gift/whatever you wanna call it- of Undeath/Vampirism?

I'm told Ivoln (I honestly thought he was just the guy who created it, not that he was it himself) and possibly Chakrasul (thought the same case with her as Ivoln). And then there are others saying the new Iosyne might be undead too since she died and was pieced together again or something.

Some clarification would be nice! Thanks in advance.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
  • IosyneIosyne the Lair
    Undeath/Life is a state reserved for the mortals of Sapience. What makes Gods who they are is tied to their Immortal essence, which can grow, shrink, and undergo various traumas (such as Iosyne's death) that alter them in various ways.
  • edited May 2014
    Iosyne said:

Undeath/Life is a state reserved for the mortals of Sapience. What makes Gods who they are is tied to their Immortal essence, which can grow, shrink, and undergo various traumas (such as Iosyne's death) that alter them in various ways.

With that in mind, is it possible for them to emulate the various states of mortal being? That is to say, undeath/vampirism/life? And if so, are there any that do?

• TrigruTrigru the Bumberton's Delight
    I'd like to point out that Ivoln Himself actually is undead, mechanically speaking. Whether that applies in the player sense is up to His role.
    While the host/shell of a God can be undead, such as Ivoln's body, the God itself doesn't have life essence in the same way as a mortal shell, being made from Divine essence entirely, and hence cannot be undead.
    Ashmer
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    So essentially he's in an Edgar Suit (tm)?
    TeaniRivasFurtum
  • EleanorEleanor FOR SCIENCE
    To be undead, one must first be alive. Gods are just sentient essence, not actually living creatures.

AliceFurtum
    That depends on how you define life! Are eld alive? I think there are similarities between elementals and Gods. However this isn't something that we've discussed a lot in the Pools, so the canonicity of these musings is questionable!
    Furtum
  • edited May 2014
    Im curious about magic (numerology, necromancy, enchanting, elementalism) versus ankyrean accomplishments. When talking about made up magical systems, we're burdened with pretending theres more to it than there really is, and that puts us in a weird place for handling progress. After 10 real life years of player after player rephrasing what Yuef means, players who have been around a while who cant Actually advance beyond that (because its understandably an imaginary science) will always be pridefully inclined to pretend to. Normally doesnt matter but it peeks out in places.. much like the steam tech problem; setting says mortals are not at that level, and one easily-forgotten player wont earn rewriting that regardless of his deep love of goggles. Down that road we'd have laser guns by Tuesday.

In numerology, we were given some scrolls about the Ankyrean cabal founders. They knew all the numbers, they were already transcendent-unraveling each other like champs. (Apparently one of them did an aoe unravel. pfft, teachers pet.) -- Our guild tutor found their not-really-real books in 107MA and heres us 300 years later, tossing out quality unravels that would make mama proud.. but just about all our accomplishments are still 'we found a thing they did and when we messed with it we only died a couple times, highfive!'

So. How do we measure up? For example, would there be pretendsies Ankyrean books in Eocik's pile, the magic equivalent of quantum field theory and non-commutative geometry that just baffle us?
    Have mortals pretendsies-advanced since 107MA?
    Could we have theoretically made our own fancypants lgaktian clocks 'n progressive enchantments, or is that no different from saying 'tadaa ive made steam-powered locomotives'?
  • Re. progressive enchantments - it's my understanding that those are by definition enchantments that grow more powerful over time, rather than fading or running out of 'charges' like regular enchantments do. They were crafted using a massive set of ouroboros that were powered by several very large captive elementals. Since we don't have a method to chain elementals of that caliber and we don't know much about developing new enchantments or the actual methods used to make the progressive enchantments, we really couldn't have made new ones - unless there's some research buried out there somewhere.

• Khats said:

Im curious about magic (numerology, necromancy, enchanting, elementalism) versus ankyrean accomplishments. When talking about made up magical systems, we're burdened with pretending theres more to it than there really is, and that puts us in a weird place for handling progress. 10 real life years of player after player rephrasing what Yuef means, and players who have been around a while who cant Actually advance beyond that will always be pridefully inclined to pretend to. Normally doesnt matter but then we have things like the steam tech problem; setting says mortals are not at that level, and one easily-forgotten player doesnt deserve to rewrite that no matter how fancy his science-goggles are. Down that road we'd have laser guns by Tuesday.

In numerology, we were given some scrolls about the founders. They knew all the numbers, they were already transcendent-unraveling each other like champs. Apparently one of them did an aoe unravel (pfft teachers pet.) -- Our guild tutor found their not-really-real info and heres us 300 years later, tossing out quality unravels that would make them shed a tear of pride, but just about all our accomplishments are still 'we found a thing they did and when we messed with it we only died a couple times highfive'

As I wrote before in an earlier post, the main issue with Aetolian technology isn't so much that you can't do some incredibly sophisticated things with it, it's just that the cost of doing so on a commercial or industrial scale is prohibitively expensive. Between Kelki clockwork and Qeddwyn's artifacts, there's still remnants of technology; just not enough to place players on par with the Ankyreans of old.

Your point, however, specifically concerns forms of magic. In regards to that, I think it's fair to say that while mortals have mastered some of the processes that the Ankyreans used, particularly drawing upon their innovations in the elements, the planes, and Numerology... the breadth of knowledge that the Ankyreans took for granted simply does not exist for players in the present day.

Players are running blind, and further scientific inquiry is severely impacted by the war-torn, diminished state of the world. The Third Epoch is more or less an Aetolian dark age. Drawing a math comparison (not for a second intended to be literal), Aetolia in general is only up to an algebra/basic geometry level, and the Ankyreans and other precursor civilizations - like the Mystics - had calculus and non-Euclidean geometry going on.

You can make guesses at the sort of things they were doing, and occasionally, you discover a process that works. Your understanding of why it works, though, is limited by the fact that you lack the tools to develop a more solid understanding. This is one explanation for why mysticism has traditionally surrounded a lot of magical applications; the people who have adopted them have invented ways to explain the unexplainable to themselves.
    Khats said:

-how do we compare? are there pretendsies ankyrean books on the magic equivilent of quantum field theory and non-commutative geometry that baffle us? I suspect all those ghosts haunting us all the time are not all "you guys are so badasssss."
    -have we pretendsies-advanced since 107MA?
    -could we have theoretically made our own fancypants lgaktian clocks 'n progressive enchantments, or is that no different from saying 'tadaa ive made steam-powered locomotives'

Going point by point:

-If there are, you haven't found them or been able to translate them yet!

-You have, in fact. It's not much, but player-created works have been accepted as canon throughout Aetolia's history: It was a player event that created the moon cycle; tools have developed for understanding the constellations; Zahmekoses' Systemic Theophysics explains the basic structure of the physical world; guilds have developed new skills and new skillsets from time to time, often drawing inspiration from precursors in doing so; commercially available fireworks, bombs, instruments, and furniture have emerged; and greenhouses now exist whereas before they didn't. Kelki clockwork, following the destruction of Kelsys, has spread through the world, allowing for more sophisticated machinery (that is, nonetheless, very primitive by our standards).

-In theory, yes, although in practice it would be a bit like (to draw from my example above) doing calculus without knowing the significance of the processes you're using.
    OmeiLimKhatsFurtumIshinLianca
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    ...man I'm screwed, I barely passed Algebra 1. I did okay in Geometry though!!

On another note, I've always been curious about the less scientific and magical, and more curious about the..I guess mystical. Like, say, the way a Syssin channels the shadows, is able to will their body out of phase with the rest of the Prime Material Plane.

We have Abduct, now, which allows us to gank someone else into phase-space for a short duration, which I believe rather signals an advancement in our 'ability' to do that, but look how long Syssin have existed. Could it be supposed that Syssin in the past could do the same, and more, or have things along that line remained more or less the same?

The reason I ask about our guild, is that it's specifically stated that both the Syssin and the Atabahi were formed and created, respectively, during the time of the Ankyreans. Though, to be completely honest, I'm a little ignorant of most other guilds' histories as a player, except maybe the paladins/infernals/sentinels and a little bit of the Indorani. It makes me curious if we've always been...'lesser', I guess, or if our abilities have decayed/risen over time.
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • Yes! If you don't mind me doing a bit of a meta-analysis of Aetolia, the world that we have now directly follows a Götterdämmerung, or a 'twilight of the Gods', which is a fancy term that describes a cataclysmic, destructive ending to an era - in this case, the destruction of the Ankyreans and the beginning of Severn's Grand Artifice, marking the end of the Second Epoch. Much as the Dark Ages and the Renaissance considered the civilization of the Romans and Greeks to be pinnacles of scientific and philosophical achievement, so a similar attitude resonates through Aetolia as regards the Ankyreans, the Indoron Empire, the Mystics, etc etc.

Many stories feature a precursor element, with various spins on the exact nature of those precursors, and Aetolia is no exception in that regard. I say all of this to establish the vein in which these elements were established, and to emphasize that the Third Epoch is, in large part, a very stagnant technological period that is diminished from the higher enlightenment and achievement of the Second Epoch. The Ankyreans are like the Roman Empire or the Greeks, and you exist within a more splintered, feudal society which hasn't quite managed to replace the power vacuum.

Just to clarify: you're correct in that the Syssin and Atabahi were created during the time of the Ankyreans. The Syssin, canonically, derive their abilities from two sources: Ankyrean science/training and Severn's blessings. The Atabahi, however, were not so original; the Ankyreans stole the ideas from the Mystic, who were the first to discover the ability. The Atabahi were used for various planar experiments due to their hardiness, whereas the Syssin were elite guardsmen and defenders of Spinesreach. It is almost certain that both of them had access to more knowledge and skill, and thus could accomplish things beyond the current player scope.

Your abilities have risen over time. It's easy to explain, for example, the Syssin shift away from illusions to more reliable sleights as an evolution in combat mechanics. It's entirely possible that older Syssin did the same, or had a similarly reliable process. It's also possible that the madness that forced the dissolution of the guilds had an Ankyrean solution - or that the red-shirted way in which the Ankyreans used Atabahi kept their numbers low enough that madness never reached a critical mass. You're still not as good as you were during Ankyrean times - not by a long shot - but no one is. The Grand Artifice, the loss of knowledge, and the subsequent state of war did a number on everyone. Recovery from that is going to take a while.
    IshinXavinOmeiLimFurtumLianca
    @Damariel - What you say there at the end, about the state of war, reminds me a lot of how you were comparing the Roman empire earlier. A lot of what they had was lost when the Empire fell, or even with uh...what was it. Greek fire, back when that was lost?

Lots to think about either way. Really makes me wonder if like, the old Pre-Artifice Ankyrean-serving Syssin's techniques were actually LOST, or if the Grand Artifice 'lost' them temporarily, if you get my drift.
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • Ishin said:

@Damariel - What you say there at the end, about the state of war, reminds me a lot of how you were comparing the Roman empire earlier. A lot of what they had was lost when the Empire fell, or even with uh...what was it. Greek fire, back when that was lost?

Lots to think about either way. Really makes me wonder if like, the old Pre-Artifice Ankyrean-serving Syssin's techniques were actually LOST, or if the Grand Artifice 'lost' them temporarily, if you get my drift.

Haha, yeah, that's actually a very good comparison to make. There's probably some things that will never be recreated and have been permanently lost, but until the Grand Artifice unravels entirely it's impossible to tell the difference between 'permanently lost' and 'lost to artifice'.
    Damariel said:

The Syssin, canonically, derive their abilities from two sources: Ankyrean science/training and Severn's blessings.

Hrm...what does that mean exactly? Do the Syssin and those with the class get some of their power directly from Severn then?

Cause I originally thought they did but upon speaking to old Syssin and being in Severn's Order, over time I was corrected to believe otherwise in that Severn taught them/"showed them the way" so to speak but the powers themselves are NOT fueled or come from Him directly.
    havenbanner2
  • Haven said:

Damariel said:

The Syssin, canonically, derive their abilities from two sources: Ankyrean science/training and Severn's blessings.

Hrm...what does that mean exactly? Do the Syssin and those with the class get some of their power directly from Severn then?

Cause I originally thought they did but upon speaking to old Syssin and being in Severn's Order, over time I was corrected to believe otherwise in that Severn taught them/"showed them the way" so to speak but the powers themselves are NOT fueled or come from Him directly.
    There have been cases in the past (i.e. Keshena attempting to steer the guild toward a Spirit-aligned stance) where Severn has stepped in directly and stripped the guild of its subterfuge. It is possible that Severn isn't cutting them off, as such, but rather making them forget what he taught them; but either way, the knowledge flows from him and he is capable of taking it back at his whim if the Syssin are doing things that he doesn't approve of.
    IshinFurtum
    Damariel said:

Haven said:

Damariel said:

There have been cases in the past (i.e. Keshena attempting to steer the guild toward a Spirit-aligned stance) where Severn has stepped in directly and stripped the guild of its subterfuge. It is possible that Severn isn't cutting them off, as such, but rather making them forget what he taught them; but either way, the knowledge flows from him and he is capable of taking it back at his whim if the Syssin are doing things that he doesn't approve of.
    Would you say then that the blockage or whatever comes from the guild's pledge (an allusion to a binding magical contract) to Him as opposed to the class itself? I wonder because if not and His hold is indeed in the skills themselves and all those who possess them, then I'm unsure how the Syssin class could even be labeled as a neutral class at all.
    havenbanner2
  • Ishin said:

This is all really cool. I saw it in more modern terms, like a nuclear fallout. Everyone's just wandering around scavenging whatever cool stuff that was far more prevalent before.
  • Haven said:

Damariel said:

Haven said:

Damariel said:

Would you say then that the blockage or whatever comes from the guild's pledge (an allusion to a binding magical contract) to Him as opposed to the class itself? I wonder because if not and His hold is indeed in the skills themselves and all those who possess them, then I'm unsure how the Syssin class could even be labeled as a neutral class at all.
    Think about it: you're the Manipulator. You're playing the long game. You have a tie to every single Syssin in the world, even if they aren't part of your contract with the guild. Why would you remove that as a potential angle?
    MaghakBraeIshinFurtum
    Yeah, Severn doesn't play the short game, or even the long game in the terms of a character's life-time or anything like that. Sev plays the Long Game, and He plays for Keeps. Totally makes sense that He'd have a bunch of little possible pawns out running around in the world, and if they're unwitting little sleeper agents..even better :)

I'm really interested to see which direction the technology of the game takes us, given that we've already got magic and mysticism and such. Hoping something along those lines will come out soon and expand upon what we have already. Thanks, @Damariel, for elaborating :)
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • So I was kind of wondering exactly what Ylem is. It seems like there should be some solid idea behind it, but I'm wondering how close my idea of it is to the canon information.

I figure I won't get a straight-up, entirely complete picture, so I thought I just explain it the way I interpret it.

I look at Ylem energy as radiation, sort of. It is unhealthy in extensive doses, and can cause problems with sapient beings- as evidenced by the lycans. That said, it also seems to be a pretty nebulous thing, which is sort of gaseous in a natural (Ylem mist) state.

I also think that the body absorbs Ylem energy, or becomes particularly receptive to it, when in a lycan state, which is part of where madness comes from, but that's for another rant about ideas of Ylem.

I say gas, but I mean that in the sense of being able to see it, and see the flow of it when Ylem mist is released. Ylem itself dissipates quickly because it is a form of energy that breaks down or transfers easily into its surroundings. In large amounts, it saturates players, giving them auras. In small amounts, it seeps harmlessly into the surroundings.

Pylons appear to be sufficiently large, and probably complex, to act as a compressor. Similar to the way that CO2 can be compressed into dry ice. Pylons compress and organize the Ylem particles into a lattice structure, creating crystalline formations that are unstable, but solid. Oxidization and heat appears to release some of the stored Ylem energy, which I am describing as forcibly organized radioactive decay, and that is utilized by bombcrafting.

However, since it is energized particulate, it doesn't stay in lattice formation forever, and eventually the solid crystal deteriorates into nothingness, because it undergoes a process like half-life. To me, that also helps to explain why research trees are so costly to maintain. Whatever tech we have in place is powered by a very short-lived material that behaves akin to highly radioactive substances.
  • So I was kind of wondering exactly what Ylem is. It seems like there should be some solid idea behind it, but I'm wondering how close my idea of it is to the canon information.

I figure I won't get a straight-up, entirely complete picture, so I thought I just explain it the way I interpret it.

I look at Ylem energy as radiation, sort of. It is unhealthy in extensive doses, and can cause problems with sapient beings- as evidenced by the lycans. That said, it also seems to be a pretty nebulous thing, which is sort of gaseous in a natural (Ylem mist) state.

I also think that the body absorbs Ylem energy, or becomes particularly receptive to it, when in a lycan state, which is part of where madness comes from, but that's for another rant about ideas of Ylem.

I say gas, but I mean that in the sense of being able to see it, and see the flow of it when Ylem mist is released. Ylem itself dissipates quickly because it is a form of energy that breaks down or transfers easily into its surroundings. In large amounts, it saturates players, giving them auras. In small amounts, it seeps harmlessly into the surroundings.

Pylons appear to be sufficiently large, and probably complex, to act as a compressor. Similar to the way that CO2 can be compressed into dry ice. Pylons compress and organize the Ylem particles into a lattice structure, creating crystalline formations that are unstable, but solid. Oxidization and heat appears to release some of the stored Ylem energy, which I am describing as forcibly organized radioactive decay, and that is utilized by bombcrafting.

However, since it is energized particulate, it doesn't stay in lattice formation forever, and eventually the solid crystal deteriorates into nothingness, because it undergoes a process like half-life. To me, that also helps to explain why research trees are so costly to maintain. Whatever tech we have in place is powered by a very short-lived material that behaves akin to highly radioactive substances.

Just play FFVII.. MAKO!!!

• AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    My headcannon is it's energy leaking from elemental(Or crystalline?!) plane. Sorta explains that Eld are some sort of crystallized constructs. That you're opening up a hole when you tap into leylines, which draws the eld to the prime plane. They might not even be crystals until they come through! Same with ylem, how it crystalizes when removed from the pylon, wherein it exists as some sort of energy~.