Lore questions.

Comments

• AnteheAntehe Immortal

But really, frogs do have teeth! Some sharp, some not.

ZailaKasimirLeanaAngrothMordion
  • So this month's promo and the fireworks mishap made me develop a lore question. Catiana and Catarina. In the published timeline of sapience, it starts off calling her Catiana, then switched to Catarina for future references. In the lore book on the legend of Tiyen Indoran, she's called Catiana through the entire thing, and Catarina is never mentioned. Which name is the official lore name for Idar's bride? Or did her name change after the marriage or something or what? I been looking back at all that lore since the fireworks thing, and I can't make sense of it as is yet.
  • TiurTiur Producer
    I will let my betters explain, but you have stumbled upon my mistake. I thought we were discussing two different people.
  • RazmaelRazmael Administrator, Immortal
    Her name is Catiana. Anything else is a misspelling.
  • ElliotElliot Australia
    edited July 2018
    I thought 'Catarina's Wheel' was just a reference to the 'Catherine's Wheel' torture device.
  • Sorry folks, on an orc and ogre kick lately.

The help file states that scarification is a regular cultural practice amongst the two races, while also stating that each race tends to have their own traditions.

Are there in-game examples of designs? How would the two different “styles” look? Would there be a certain type of blade used for the scarification? Just how ritualized is it?
  • ImvraImvra Immortal Immortal
    We have left the scarification a little vague to give room for player and character creativity.

Overall, the patterns they marked themselves with indicated the stories of their lives, station, and accomplishments or devotions. As Orcs lean more towards physical aspects of warfare, Ogres trend religion or historical or magical study. The motifs and patterns they use would emulate this, so that it is recognizable to their kin from standing distance.

Similarly, practices have been left a little open ended. Dunnites would either receive their markings from a family member, or from the community's shaman (spiritual elder, not class), depending upon what the occasion being commemorated is.

Criminals were also marked with scarification, coloured with ink or ash.

Tools would be similar to real world historical counterparts, such as these:

The aesthetic would be a range from West African patterns and Australian Aboriginal Dreamtime.
    TekiasKelliaraAngrothTeani
  • @Angroth

Hey there! I don't really play Caolan anymore, but while I did, something that he was very interested in was the preservation and continuation of orcish scarring traditions.

This is of course based on backstory I invented with a few other people, but if you'd like to use the same system, then go for it!

The orcish tribe that Caolan learned from used slightly hook-tipped knifes to carve a slight width of skin off at once, rather than simply part the skin. The right shoulder to elbow was used to signify tribe and family - Caolan's was a simple helix rather than a particular design because his family wasn't orcish, just him, and he came up with it himself. The right forearm signified familial positions and responsibilities - scars that marked you as a hunter, as an elder, and so on. The upper left arm was personal - personal achievements, sins and stories that an authority deemed fit to mark upon your skin. Caolan's only personal scar was a band of knots - signifying the bond that tied his tsol'aa upbringing and his orcish blood into a single person. The left forearm is reserved for the family you marry into, with the husband taking the wife's family scar and the wife taking the husband's.

The chest, back and face were used to mark milestones of age and manhood, and were more or less the same among tribemates. The arms were the ones that varied.

The scars that Caolan's tribe used tended to be more winding and flowing, but I hadn't known what the normal aesthetic would be. In hindsight, I'll just say that Caolan's tribe was modernised and used adapted knifework techniques.

If you do play an orc, remember that orcs invented the sword, not those filthy dwarves. Orc superiority.
    Angroth
  • It was recommended that I ask here, so...
    Asteria said:

Does anyone know of any visual depictions of wereravens? I'm having trouble grasping exactly what they look like from the Dromse descriptions alone (are they freakish-looking like Skyrim hagravens, or closer to actual giant birds?) Thanks in advance!

• You could go either way, IMO. If someone complains, headdrop them to death.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

EmirMjoll
    Hello! This would be a close approximation for wereravens.

KelliaraAsteriaZailaTekias
  • That is awesome. Thank you!
    Zaila
  • TekiasTekias Wisconsin
    I would've used the 'I'm Idreth, I make my form' excuse, but my wereraven is roughly by that depiction anyway, so yey.
    Formerly: Spiegel. Eidycue.

Hi.

• Kasimir said:

How does a Grook use Syssin fangs?

the same way every other race uses them - carefully
    Indoran'i is back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (wolf Howl)
    An Atzob cultist says, "Is a shamatato as tasty as a potato?"
    (Tells): From afar, Mephistoles hisses harshly to you, "Hey baby, show me your ovipositor?"
    The mighty Jy'Barrak Golgotha opens his maw, catches the glowing spear in his many jagged teeth, and chomps down. The Divine spear breaks with a noise like thunder, shards toppling from the Emperor's jaws. "OM NOM NOM!" He declares, then spits the last of the ruined weapon from his lips.

Leana
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee

Angroth
  • Aishia said:

Horror enducing frog picture

Well...thanks...that's EXACTLY what I needed to see right before I try and sleep...never again.
    Now with 253% more Madness.
    Cute-Kelli by @Sessizlik.
    Zaila
  • TekiasTekias Wisconsin
    Aishia said:

Big pic

And here we have @Oonagh should he ever go vampire.

Hi.

AnalynnOonaghMordion
  • SaritaSarita Empress of Bahir'an The Pillars of the Earth
    The Photoshop of Horrors.
    Zaila
  • Why does Dhar rezz Carnifex? How does Dhar rezz Carnifex if they tie their soul to the master soulstone in exchange for a soulstone piece? Shouldn't that handle it?

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

• AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    I'm not trying to answer over a a better one but I got the impression it was Varian or a higher power/fate that determined if you came back. He just doing his father's bidding?
  • ZailaZaila Pacific Time
    edited August 2018
    Dhar doesn't rezz anyone, Varíen rezzes

*edit to add - at least, he isn't the one bringing you back from the mirror, he might unrelatedly rezz people 
  • @Toz Dhar isn't involved in the rez process in so much as he doesn't withhold your soul when you face the mirror. I'm sure he could stop it if he wanted, but then he'd have to deal with Varian and Galleus. Lore wise, I guess. It'd be a fun story but almost impossible to work into the game. You'd have to make corpses indestructible, perhaps, give spirits mechanics, or allow some surrogate corpse serve the same purpose when reviving. Like a humanity effigy. I'm getting off track now...

It's up to the Celestine whether you're brought back or not, and yourself. If you decided, upon looking at the mirror, that you are better off dead (like real decide, not surface thoughts) then you stay dead. If you somehow threaten the creation, or just rubbed Varian the wrong way, you stay dead. This was the reason people told me in a different thread as to why people are so afraid of death: They might not come back due to the idea that they should -stay- dead. Like how you only go to hell if you believe in one and that you deserve to be there, such as in the Sandman comics.

I can't imagine Dhar is happy about the mirror existing, but someone would have to ask him in character. Might be a fun thing to bring up.

I've a question that I've forgotten the answer to: Is Albedos on another planet? Is Sapience our entire planet or is it like continents?

• TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    @Leana: first off, Galleus has nothing to do with the rezz process.

Second, no one knows how big the world really is, if there are more continents, or if there are other planets. Albedos was reached by airship, as far as I know, but that yields little information to be honest. I believe it has always meant to be a bit of a mystery, as parts of the world have yet to be discovered.

• Random question:

Do Archivist tokens float? Or do they just sort of turn up sitting on the ground nearby, or on a table, or in the crook of a tree or whatever's nearby?

I honestly can't tell which idea I like more.

Hrm...
    Now with 253% more Madness.
    Cute-Kelli by @Sessizlik.
  • Teani said:

varian's been afk for hundreds of years, so ol' gale-breath had to take over, remember? it feels fair to often mentally find-replace present-day mentions of 'Varian' with 'Galleus'.

frankly, nothing makes sense and Omei is still a shadow god so idk why we're worried about this
    (Tells): From afar, Mephistoles hisses harshly to you, "Hey baby, show me your ovipositor?"
    The mighty Jy'Barrak Golgotha opens his maw, catches the glowing spear in his many jagged teeth, and chomps down. The Divine spear breaks with a noise like thunder, shards toppling from the Emperor's jaws. "OM NOM NOM!" He declares, then spits the last of the ruined weapon from his lips.

Leana
  • TekiasTekias Wisconsin
    Teani said:

Second, no one knows how big the world really is, if there are more continents, or if there are other planets. Albedos was reached by airship, as far as I know, but that yields little information to be honest. I believe it has always meant to be a bit of a mystery, as parts of the world have yet to be discovered.

When we gained access to the Pylon maintenance tasks, Boggard made mention of dumping the black ylem vials into the trench that runs along the ocean floor between Sapience and Albedos. So it might be like North America and Europe (or South America/Africa) for a real world analogy.

Hi.

edited August 2018
    Hello everyone! Combing over these last few posts:
    1. Aetolia is the planet!
    2. Sapience is the continent all of you live on and come from.
    3. Albedos is another continent on the same planet.
    4. There are other land masses that have yet to be discovered and explored. Who knows what will arise in the future!
    5. Soul stones are vessels and tools. Consumption and the various deathlore talents that channel the wielder's soul do so similarly to when they sap off some of an opponent's soul. Souls naturally seek to become whole, and replenish over time. It is not like a horcrux where it is permanently imbued.

"A pang of loss fills you as target's soul quickly flees your weapon.",
      "You feel a momentary wholeness as a portion of your soul returns to you."
    6. Dhar monitors the Underhalls, but Varian is the one who elects to save or banish mortals past the Mirror. Most of His attention is elsewhere, so a fragment of His power decides who, in their power growth, has more potential to pursue or not.

Regarding Galleus: That was primarily a loose script for when Galleus became producer, to transition him from an Elemental God/In Character entity, to more of an administrative figure. This lead to the policy of unique Producer identities.
    7. Reincarnation is like the tempering of a soul. The power and potential it obtained in its life choices (leveling is growing in power, etc), forges a hardier soul for its next life. The reasons for Varian's intercession are varied and unknown. This is why some notable NPCs, just like players, return time and again, while others remain unknown.
    8. @Kelliara I return with an answer!
      The default for Archivist tokens is it lies on the ground and appears/disappears. Inverted tokens anchored in space can float, and can be anchored to the ground as well. Artifact/special tokens can float if you choose. When an impression is triggered, they lift and twist to show a symbol before returning to wherever they had been.
    SteeleLeanaKelliara
  • ^ notice she didn't correct me about omei #teachthecontroversy

• @Imvra Thanks for the lore dump!

@Teani First off, my statement clearly said if DHAR decided to mess up the process, he'd have to answer to Varian and Galleus. As in, they are his direct superiors in the god hierarchy. Nothing about the rez process.