Alright! I'm going to pretend I know what's going on now and that we can move on from the honeymoon phase and get into some serious work. I would, however, like to give you all a chance to ask me and guide me towards what's important to YOU.
So we'll have a townhall. But it will be a softball, with pre-chosen questions of a sort. That's the point of this thread. A problem is timing, we have a lot of timezones and people have jobs, etc. So, mostly pre-done questions and we'll post the results. We're looking at mid to late August. And if this works, twitch after that. We'll pick the date once this thread reaches steady state. (um.. that's chemist for 'no more changes because all input/output balances')
What I need from you:
Let's generate some topics, and rate them in rank of importance. By the end of this thread let's have 5-10 topics to discuss and ask questions within. I usually answer questions willy nilly, but for this, I'll promise higher grade answers than normal. There will be questions within these topics during the live townhall... so while it's fine to put in the questions you want hit on a topic, know that we'll be having admin x player feedback during the actual townhall and let things rise up organically too.
I'll be moderating this pretty heavily. Every couple posts I'll chime in with a reorganized list based on what you guys have been saying. I'll also bring things back on topic pretty viciously.
NOTE FORBIDDEN TOPICS:
I'm not comfortable promising things by X date. To be frank, I don't have the experience to accurately gauge the difficulty of a project before we embark. I think I've done a good job of making sure the things I talk about actually happen, but there will be things that come off as impossible.
Overarching storyline. There have been leaks and discussions of this before, but I'm not taking that path. I will not answer you if you ask me where we're going with Albedos, or what Severn's really up to.
Current Topic/Questions of import:
- There was talk some time back of raid bosses and complex instances being developed to make bashing more challenging and to encourage grouping. Is this still in the works?
- How do you feel about the grindy nature of bashing? Is it something you wish to pull away from or continue to embrace?
- How do you feel about players being confined to 1-3 skills when killing mobs? Is this something you'd consider exploring?
- If yes, I'm not sure if you're familiar with the Thrims from the Kerrithrim event that controlled players and made people involuntarily attack/kill others but would it be possible to construct an NPC Veteran that can PK players and vice versa? While making all our skills useable for bashing would probably be a massive undertaking and maybe not worth the investment, I wonder if it'd be possible to make a handful of NPCs that roam the game that players can kill/challenge for small special achievements or something.
- Boats and more world!
- Hunting skills?
- Plans for difficulty increases?
- Ylem as a mechanic, currency, tool, etc.
- Random encounters?
- RP vs Mechanical
- My feelings on it
- Player direction as to the future and where their orgs are going
- Factions and how I see them/plan for their use
- Future for Cults, views, etc
- Do we have any events forthcoming in the near future? The most recent Sapience wide event kept us on our toes, kept us engaged, and was quite entertaining and interesting.
3. Guild/City combination Requirements & Orgreqs
- while there's not a huge outlier, it seems like quite a few oldbies have been able to stay in their guild while in another city
- More discussion of orgreqs and RP direction
- Since the removal of the war system, PvP has become detached from the overarching story and thus the core of the game. While I understand implementing a new and improved war system is a massive undertaking, are there any other conflict systems that you have in the works in the mean time?
- Will Order Wars be looked at and revamped at some point? Or are you content with its current design?
- Will city raiding be looked at? Is that even something you guys want in the game?
- Ylem Aura and PvP Rules. Will there be a revision upon them or you are satisfied with how they are?
- This might be a giant can of worms but what kind of content are you hoping to develop for players that reach this point in the game?
- Do you intend to make endgame more unique than it currently is?
- What about Haven Points and Havens in general?
- Commonality of endgame stuff and balancing towards it. Changes?
- What's the plan on getting new blood into the game? I recall IRE utilizing Kongregate and other advertisements in the past. Any similar plans in the future?
- Has IRE considered tackling the writing community like NaNo for new recruits? I recall someone mentioning that the advertisements didn't yield enough to warrant the costs or something. I'm mostly curious as to what markets were being targeted. (Don't really expect an answer for this one lol)
- What originally drew me to Aetolia was an ad and the overall presentation of the game. I never tried a mud before Aetolia and it really blew me out of the water. As I played, the biggest draw for me became the rich story and unique conflict systems at the time. Finally, a game where the players appeared to really be in control! The possibilities felt endless. As the grandeur faded though - what kept me for the longest time ultimately was the community. Eventually that didn't feel like enough to no fault of their own to keep me here. I often think about why and I have many theories but one that comes to the forefront often is this feeling of reaching the ceiling so to speak. As players gradually master different or all aspects of the game, I guess my question to you is, what would be your approach to tackling the issue of the "ceiling" and the feeling of what now? How do you plan to do to keep the game fresh and engaging?
- Cost of entry/skills.
- As of late, it appears that the lifer's participation has waned. Without giving away any big secrets, what are the future plans to breathe new life into these two cities and/or their guilds/classes?
8. Player shops / ECONOMY
- How do you feel about the limited shopping system here?
- Is there any chance that more shops will be added to the game?
- Would you be open to removing shops all together in favor of an Auction House or Marketplace style system instead?
- Repair skills? Broader armor system?
- Clearly we need to discuss commodities and gold sources
- Are you going to fix the broken or inaccessible areas?
- Kitsune - Apparently I'm serious about this now
- Flavor vs Mechanical skillz
- Celani apps
- Todo: Unlease man-eating pumpkins
- Teasers for Ascendril/Sciomancer changes
- Neutral support
The above list will be updated as we go with what the actual topics are. And I'll put a change date below this so you can see the last time I trawled the thread.
- Summarized updates on July 23
- Summarized and reorganized July 26