GENERAL shield issues

Comments

• HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    Kaeus said:

Draiman said:

I still want to see someone pick up BB and do as well with it as anyone else who is currently using the class without a phial (300cr), a crown (850cr), and at least a level 2 weapon rune (400cr).

To be fair, they cannot reasonably balance any class completely around the unartifacted version.
    Why not?
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
  • EzalorEzalor Emperor D'baen Canada
    edited June 2014
    Seems like the thread title is causing some outrage. Just to clarify, I think almost everyone's in agreement that SHIELDS and TURTLING are a problem in Aetolia.

BB as a class is certainly not in a weak spot, they simply suffer from turtling like most of the classes in Aetolia do.

@Haven because that makes the artifacted version OP. And while in a perfect combat world artifacts don't even exist, Raz gotta eat.
    IshinAngweSeir
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    edited June 2014
    Ezalor said:

Seems like the thread title is causing some outrage. Just to clarify, I think almost everyone's in agreement that SHIELDS and TURTLING are a problem in Aetolia.

BB as a class is certainly not in a weak spot, they simply suffer from turtling like most of the classes in Aetolia do.

@Haven because that makes the artifacted version OP. And while in a perfect combat world artifacts don't even exist, Raz gotta eat.

The core class should be able to kill on its own unartifacted. Artifacts should provide options and or possibly make things a little easier on the core class to achieve its goal. Artifacts shouldn't ever be a requirement.

If artifacts are making core classes overpowered then it seems the artifacts in question need tweaking so that they're both worthwhile and still provide a reasonable advantage without pushing the core over the top.

Edit: If you don't ever balance or make the core work, how do you ever expect to know how to properly address/tweak the branches off the core?
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    IshinSetneLuna
    And for the most part I think that applies to most classes. They are able to kill without artifacts, just becomes harder to. I think Bloodborn exist as the sole exception. I did have a liaison report to make the BB slash speed the same as a runed one (so that weapon runes just add damage, you'd still need eq crown to hit max speed) but I was capped by 6 at the time and it slipped my mind last round.
  • edited June 2014
    Claw has always been an outlier, maybe that should strip rebounding and shield. It's perfect for the job in a way since it's fast and balance based. The new vampire raze was kind of lame IMHO. MIND RAZE.

Edit: Be careful what you wish for, if Kheoss can't turtle against you, he just won't try and fight you 1v1 and then you'll have to play XCom or LoL or something. I am always wary of ideas like "let's take out [entire strategy here]" ideas.

Original aeon was taken out like 2-3 years ago and Indorani are still considered struggling apparently and the only fix recently was to make Indorani-DSL, that should be seen as a red flag.
    Indorani is a great class atm. Just suffer from not being able to power through no counter lockbreakers and unlimited aff cures like all the other lock classes.
  • StrungStrung Halls of Hades
    edited June 2014
    Ok (sorry for the account switch...) but if you look at the number of classes using a dsl-like mechanic now as compared to years ago, you might appreciate the point I want to make. Aetolia lost original aeon, traps and retardation and got no new mechanics in return. Indorani are dsl'ing, Sentinels are almost a pure dsl-class, Luminaries can apparently do a shield-mace dsl, people gave up on making frenzy good and gave vampires raze so that they can weaponry-mentis more. Then you have the "part-time" dsl's like mage's vibration spiking or Terradrim's sand skills. As a part-time player I notice the course of this "strategic equalizing" more than regular players do I think and from my point of view, it's a sad thing.

Classleads are great for coming up with new ideas but terrible for balancing the game. Just because players are annoyed by something doesn't mean that it's necessarily a bad thing. The movement that comes up now and then to get rid of turtling is a great example of this, if you get rid of it, there will be far less 1v1 and that type of gameplay should be something that people do because they want to do it, not something that exists to cater towards people's egos and biased senses of game balance.
    I am such an aaaalllphaaaaaarrrgh.
  • DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.
    On the topic of turtling, I think this really became an issue when artifact tatoos were lowered in cost (used to be 400, now 100), and now the ability to instant ink. I would suggest removing the ability to perm-shield-tat and insta-ink while in combat. This would, at least, make turtling a finite resource like it used to be that could run out again.

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

Haven
  • Not a good solution, unless you remove all shield abilities while at it. BB, Lumi, Shaman, Tera all have them, and those are some of the strongest classes around. You'd give them exclusive turtling rights, if you only removed arti shield tat.
    Furtum
    edited June 2014
    Yeah I don't think introducing a tattoo resource thing is a good solution.

@Strung that's a fair point about DSL and that's something that has actually been receiving discussion over liaisons; all aff classes more or less fall into the category of lockers, and while there's variety in how they get there, the endgame is the same for all of them. You do see some variety now with Shamans and Bloodborn but given Aetolia's current affliction system it's pretty hard to conceivably escape that mold without making something either OP or crap.

I don't think people will magically stop 1v1ing once they aren't able to turtle to infinity anymore, I haven't met a single 1v1er that enjoys playing/playing against infinite turtling.
    edited June 2014
    Daskalos said:

On the topic of turtling, I think this really became an issue when artifact tatoos were lowered in cost (used to be 400, now 100), and now the ability to instant ink. I would suggest removing the ability to perm-shield-tat and insta-ink while in combat. This would, at least, make turtling a finite resource like it used to be that could run out again.

This is a good example of what I mean, it sounds like a good idea on its face, but it doesn't address the underlying issue at all. It just says "I don't want them to turtle against me." The guy will probably just run away the entire time if he runs out of shield tattoo and it won't solve much.

The underlying problem is: clearly he wants to fight if he's here to spam shield in the first place, so why does he keep turtling? This is why I have been saying that the games need more "double-edged sword" mechanics.

To tie that all together: imagine that consecutively breaking someone's shield gives them a buff to their next attack's damage and/or afflictions, but also gives them a debuff where they can't shield and their movement is slowed for X amount of time. This would create an ebb and flow that might get one party killed without actually removing turtling from the game, removing it would be bad in the long run because people will just opt not to fight against people who can put them into a turtling position, but adding a new dimension to turtling would partially remove the problem without getting rid of as much 1v1 activity.

@Riluo thanks, I'm glad that people agree with me in a sense :) That's part of why I'm playing Aetolia again right now, I think the liaisons here are some of the best in IRE.

Since I'm editing, and if it already does this or something feel free to LOL at me, but let's say that the shield buff makes shapeshifter flurry also cause bruising on each limb hit. This gives the shapeshifter a bonus for coming out of their shell but with a shield and movement debuff, they now have to commit and actually fight some more.
  • AshmerAshmer Barefoot Adventurer Life
    Kaeus said:

Draiman said:

I still want to see someone pick up BB and do as well with it as anyone else who is currently using the class without a phial (300cr), a crown (850cr), and at least a level 2 weapon rune (400cr).

To be fair, they cannot reasonably balance any class completely around the unartifacted version. Though I can certainly see having an artifact required is frustrating and I know they've attempted to lessen that gap in the past with similar scenarios. I do think that trying to compete at the very top level in every scenario without artifacts is more than likely not going to happen, as the less the margin of benefit the harder it becomes to justify their costs.
    I disagree. I'm able to perform as well (if not slightly better) as Syssin - without the 1,550 credit investment into artifacts. While I understand balancing a class against something being absolutely ridiculous with artifacts is important, the disparity between a Bloodborn with artifacts and a Bloodborn without artifacts is staggering. Fortunately, it seems in most other cases it's the artifacts that have been balanced - for example, weapon runes do not affect the speed of Dhuriv attacks, and there's no longer an artifact to make doublestab faster.

I do agree that this discussion points to something about turtling as a whole. I don't like the idea of moving Fitness to survival - it already seems too prolific to me, and there's not really a counter to it. Even with the increase in balance time, the difference in locking someone with it and locking someone without it is huge, and with confusion moving up the priority someone can effectively be unlockable between Fitness, shielding of any kind, or any escape mechanism. I think this goes double for Shrug and Shed - no cooldown, short balance and no afflictions to stop its use means Syssin and Lycanthropes are effectively unlockable, barring either insanely lucky timing or someone having static curing.

tl;dr is the disparity between artifacted Bloodborn and unartifacted Bloodborn is very, very wide, and I agree on the point of lockbreakers, active cures, and general turtling being worth looking at. Think of all the cool creative shit we can do with it!

the way she tells me I'm hers and she is mine

open hand or closed fist would be fine

blood as rare and sweet as cherry wine

Draiman
  • SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    edited June 2014
    I'd rather see alternative kill routes that can bypass lockbreakers, rather than seeing the lockbreakers themselves removed or nerfed.

TragerDraimanStathanIlyonAshmerStrung
  • RiluoRiluo The Doctor
    edited June 2014
    @Oleis So in regards to the issue of sunder is there a chance of tweaking it until the next round as the impact of turtling is two fold with blood loss, resetting of afflictions, mana etc.

Also in general I love the concept of shielding acting like fitness in terms of it taking longer each time if use within a set period. This overall is a fantastic concept that is fair for all parties.

Abhorash says, "Ve'kahi has proved that even bastards can earn their place."

• OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    Riluo said:

@Oleis So in regards to the issue of sunder is there a chance of tweaking it until the next round as the impact of turtling is two fold with blood loss, resetting of afflictions, mana etc.

Make sure you submit a liaison report when they open.
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
    Riluo
  • RiluoRiluo The Doctor
    No worries and cheers

Abhorash says, "Ve'kahi has proved that even bastards can earn their place."

• SeirSeir Seein' All the Things Getting high off your emotion
    edited June 2014
    As has been stated, Shields and turtling have been an issue for ages for nearly every other class. Just wasn't as prevalent for Bloodborn before because they mostly ignored it up until the Sunder change. The logic we've always been provided is that if someone wants to play defensively that they should win/stay alive. I've always argued that there's a disproportionate amount of effort involved when someone is going through the avenues of their offense through various means and the person "playing defensively" is doing one thing: TOUCH SHIELD over and over.

On the subject of Indorani Aeon, they were struggling before then. Aeon (by which I mean its old mechanics) by itself is massively easy to counter these days by systems but stupidly powerful in groups, which is largely the only place it saw effective use. I only ever lost to Indoranis because of hunger tactics when they had old Aeon. The changes you're getting now are for the better since they were fairly pointless previously save Aeon, Wheel, and Hangedman in groups.

I've suggested the idea for diminishing returns on Shield for ages in that it should have a chance of outright failing while taking eq. with the chance of it failing the more you try to use it in a span of time (unless you're getting hit by multiple people in a group.) This would be easy to set up since we already have flags for multiple people hitting one person. It was shot down, unfortunately, since apparently DR concepts are frowned upon.

Edit: Lastly, I'd like to make my opinion known on one last thing. If a class is balanced around having an artifact such as the EQ crown, that is poor class design. We removed things like Quickfoot and Reflexes for a reason and keeping the crown around and justifying its existence because it makes IRE money is a horrible reason for keeping it around and it's pretty piss poor to have most other classes be perfectly combat viable with what they have and then tell another class: Oh, well, you need to go spend 850 credits to get the afflict rate that you should have.

Just get rid of the crown already. Or, as a joke, we can create an 850 credit artifact for balance to level the playing field with everyone else.
    edited June 2014
    Does 7% EQ make that much of a difference? It's like 3.75 to 3.55 or something, against aura and (dare I say it) shield, those .2 seconds are unlikely to add up to a single cure balance in my mind before someone does something defensive.

Strategically, it's sort of always been that a good fighter knows when to shield or something similar in order to break your offensive progress and killing them has always been when they choose not to do it anyway to press their own attack. This is why I want to see something more complicated with shielding than just nerfing it, I think nerfing it will only serve to discourage 1v1 play or even worse, show us a shift to classes with active healing skills. For example, you could just bloodboil instead of shield and then we'll have to nerf bloodboil next. Then after that we'll nerf lay hands and purify blood and so-on. Shielding and defensive skills are a very fundamental part of the game.

Now certainly we could just nerf every active defensive skill in the game... Imperian is on the way to doing that and probably has like 35 people online right now, IMHO it would be a bad decision because it would transition the game towards a slugfest where you can calculate who will win a fight without having the fight. Variation leads to replayability and defensive skills provide players with agency, or the ability to make relevant decisions mid-fight.
    Trager
    edited June 2014
    That's what the goal is. To make shielding and such depend on player skill and timing and situation awareness. Not herp derp I feel threatened time to tape down my shield button.
    Ashmer
  • TragerTrager Raiding your underwear drawer.
    I am definitely one of the 'abusers' in this case, then. Like with that fight with Riluo, there is no way I really should have won. I was on >33% mana for a good while, but shielding saved me then I was able to finish the fight and nab the win. I think it's kind of crucial with BB/Praenomen at this point, though, because really what other way do we have to get out? Loneliness is top of the list these days it seems with whispers, so simply running out isn't an option. Tumbling? Well, brazier and/or just follow after them nips that in the bud. I still find a really tough time dealing with the all-around pressure that they still give via health, mana -and- afflictions. And that is without the majority of them even needing to mind burrow. When I fight a BB, I kind of just cringe and get ready for a mirror visit.
    Indoran'i is back baby. It's go-... Oh.

• AshmerAshmer Barefoot Adventurer Life
    Strung said:

Does 7% EQ make that much of a difference? It's like 3.75 to 3.55 or something, against aura and (dare I say it) shield, those .2 seconds are unlikely to add up to a single cure balance in my mind before someone does something defensive.

Without having more numbers than have already been provided in this conversation, yes, when combined with the weapon rune. A useful metaphor is the difference between ninety-nine degrees Celsius and boiling - the measurable difference isn't much at all, but there's a state change.

the way she tells me I'm hers and she is mine

open hand or closed fist would be fine

blood as rare and sweet as cherry wine

edited June 2014
    Ezalor said:

That's what the goal is. To make shielding and such depend on player skill and timing and situation awareness. Not herp derp I feel threatened time to tape down my shield button.

Well, if it can break the offensive progress (like with herb balance) then it's done its job. That's an underlying element here that a nerf on consecutive shielding wouldn't impact because 1-2 shields may be enough. Whereas, if he's shielding repeatedly because you just do too much health or mana damage, removing repeating shielding will definitely make him (or someone like Trager) stop trying to 1v1 you entirely. That wouldn't be a good thing in the long run.

Another simple idea would be to let people SHIELD WITH BODY or SHIELD WITH MIND. When you shield with body, you lose like 5% health and when you shield with mind, you get a hidden mental aff.
    Angwe
    I don't see how your examples are different at all. Oh my mana is too low, better shield 20 times till I'm at 100%. Oh I have a huge kelp stack, better shield 20 times till I have no affs on me.

Using the Trager and Riluo fight as an example, okay Trager shields every time he's around 33% mana. In return Riluo can shield every time he gets clumsiness and limp veins stuck on him. Result is a neverending stalemate until one of them runs out of something. Not fun PK.
    SeirIshin
  • edited June 2014
    Ipad time... it's different because people can often manage a kelp stack with better/different curing and strategy, whereas managing damage better usually requires buying more artifacts. People are far more likely to do one than the other.

The other difference (as I already mentioned) is that one shield can get you out of a kelp stack but it takes multiple shields to get you out of a damage buildup.
    edited June 2014
    Bloodborn and Praenomen having too much pressure is its own issue and while people may have to rely on shield whoring to deal with them, it doesn't resolve the original issue: Shield spam remains an issue because it requires no tactical planning on the user's end. Spam shield, reset the fight. When fights cost resources such as herbs, elixirs, venoms, and time versus two red inks and one green ink then there is a problem. Having the ability to COMPLETELY reset a fight back to square one despite someone going through the ringer with their offense is way, way too potent an option. The most potent defense in this game should be doing your own offense, which is now a 100% completely feasible option with the paresis change and absolutely nothing hindering your offense save broken arms, prone, full-blown paralysis, and web (which is prevented by an artifact). If Praenomen and Bloodborn are an issue, then they need to be looked at. Quite frankly, I've found being a vampire to be far easier than old Sentinel because of the sheer pressure they can dish out on all levels with quite a few escapes and the nice utility to boot. Yeah, they need to be looked at, but that's an issue for another time.
  • @‌ezalor
    You're fond of saying that every choice can be scripted into your AI
    @Strung‌ commented that Indorani are yet another homogenised class (i.e. either dual-aff or limb damage - all classes that work, barring shaman, are like this currently)

The weakness of herb classes, and very specifically in this example, kelp vlocks, is that even a mediocre scripter can manage the if statement to interrupt a vlock attempt with hinder_X (be that shield or whatever else).

Given that weakness, why are so many of our classes slowly turning into Achaea's rapier knights of 2001-2002?
    Strung
    edited June 2014
    Classes aren't really homogenized. There are only so many variations of classes that you can make and all of them will boil down to similar strategies in a lot of ways (aff-based, limb-based, etc). What really divides them is roleplay, flavour, what's available to the class in their kit, and any mechanics unique to that one class.

Edit: I think it's pretty clear that everyone agrees shield spamming is still a problem. There also seems to be a consensus on vamps being too powerful thus that's why people are falling back on shield spam, which I agree with on some points but not all.
    edited June 2014
    Seir said:

Classes aren't really homogenized. There are only so many variations of classes that you can make and all of them will boil down to similar strategies in a lot of ways (aff-based, limb-based, etc). What really divides them is roleplay, flavour, what's available to the class in their kit, and any mechanics unique to that one class.

Edit: I think it's pretty clear that everyone agrees shield spamming is still a problem. There also seems to be a consensus on vamps being too powerful thus that's why people are falling back on shield spam, which I agree with on some points but not all.

I'm not convinced it has to be this way, but that people are a little too preoccupied with balance to take some risks. Maybe it's an inevitable part of having so much time and money invested but people's egos seem to stifle innovation. I would rather get PK'd by overpowered things to see something new than to play a game that slowly gets equalized in every way until different classes are just a flavor thing. The most vocal players don't seem to agree.

As Irruel touched upon, if we nerf shield, then do we also have to nerf web, lay hands, tarot heals, blood boil, etc. too? Don't you guys see where that is headed? Imperian is (IMHO) nearly dead as a result of that mentality.
    edited June 2014
    Imperian is fairly active in the conflict community when it comes to shardfalls. There is a distinct lack of conflict elsewhere because there is a distinct lack of conflict mediums over there. Other than that, it's by far the most balanced game compared to the rest of IRE.

If I had to say anything about IRE's games:

Aetolia is the example of what roleplay should be.
    Imperian is the example of what balance should be.
    Lusternia is the example of what artifacts should be.
    Achaea is the example to everyone else of what not to be.
    Midkemia Online... We don't know what he's really doing.

Edit: I'd also say Lusternia is the prime example of what conflict mechanics should look like too. However, the fact that artifacts there don't substitute for skill at all unlike most other places, they're pretty good in that regard.
    edited June 2014
    Well, I just opened my mudlet. Aetolia has 86 people and Imperian has 48 people. That's normal these days but Imperian used to have more players than Aetolia. Players had no trouble generating conflict there in the past. I guess Imperian is well balanced but it's also far less varied strategically than Aetolia or Lusternia is and that kind of balance hasn't kept it from losing players.

When I brought this up on the Imperian forums, people acknowledged a lack of variety but wouldn't attribute Imperian's decline to it. Hmmm.

Getting back to Aetolia, if people start using abilities or classes that don't need shield tattoo to slow or hinder, would you just go through and nerf every ability and strategy which has that effect?