Perfumery/Crafting Newbie Questions

Hi everyone!

Total complete 100% newbie to Aetolia crafting, but I've crafted in other IRE games and it invariably becomes one of my favorite things to do.

I picked up a couple of talents for fun, and if I have questions about any of the other ones as I go I'll post in this thread, but right now I'm diving into Perfumery. I've been scouring the help files, forums, and ABs for information, but some things are a little unclear to me still because I'm a newb.

1. Does a generous soul have a list of what each oil smells like and in which position, if it differs between base/primary/secondary? I'm happy to experiment on my own but figured it's worth bumming off someone if someone has a list and also has mercy on me.

2. Are there more oils available in the game beyond Esme’s shop, or is that my one stop place?

3. For designing candles and soaps, do I just worry about their short desc, dropped desc, and probed desc? Do I just use the paperless design system for grabbing a design and edit everything from that blank design? Are there other things to worry about describing, like actions such as lighting a candle?

4. How much liberty do I have in designing candles? Can I design a candle holder too? (For example, a white candle with the oil syntax to reference a fragrance housed in a sinuous ceramic dragon candle holder. Probably a bit long but I hope that gets across what I mean?) Or is there another talent or tradeskill that offers options for that?

5. Similar question to above, but soap dishes for soap?

6. Can I use the dyekit system in describing candles and soaps?

Thank you in advance for any information!

Comments

• TekiasTekias Wisconsin
    1) If you have access to Crafters, Phoenecia is a gods-damned saint and has Project 564 set up to answer this one.

2) There are a select few others available. Divine oils are more like artifact/relic drops, while Hanmuth oil is a Celesmas thing.

3) You do use the paperless design system for these, yes. As far as other actions, I do not -believe- so, but I admit I may be wrong here.

4) No clue, I'll defer to others.

5) Same

6) Again, same.
    Formerly: Spiegel. Eidycue.

Hi.

Ianthe
  • Tekias said:

1) If you have access to Crafters, Phoenecia is a gods-damned saint and has Project 564 set up to answer this one.

2) There are a select few others available. Divine oils are more like artifact/relic drops, while Hanmuth oil is a Celesmas thing.

3) You do use the paperless design system for these, yes. As far as other actions, I do not -believe- so, but I admit I may be wrong here.

4) No clue, I'll defer to others.

5) Same

6) Again, same.

Thank you so much!

It looks like I have access to a Crafts news board, but not the related projects. Maybe it's a tradeskill exclusive thing? In which case I know what my next crafting license will be. :D

Really useful information though, thank you!
  • ImvraImvra Immortal Immortal
    edited May 2019
    To access the channel and the projects, you need to JOIN CRAFT GUILD. The Help File (HELP CRAFTERS) has been updated.

After checking with Becue:
    3. Just the fields that are in the design itself.
    4. This can be case-by-case and requires additional components, as well as understanding that once the candle is consumed you will not have that leftover ceramic piece. What you are describing sounds more like the Diffuser item rather than a candle (which you could describe as having a tea light underneath if you include the materials), or incense.
    5. There are not currently soap dishes, although these could become available in the future.
    6. Yes, you can use a dye kit and dye tags with soaps and candles (and food!).
    Ianthe
  • Imvra said:

To access the channel and the projects, you need to JOIN CRAFT GUILD. The Help File (HELP CRAFTERS) has been updated.

After checking with Becue:
    3. Just the fields that are in the design itself.
    4. This can be case-by-case and requires additional components, as well as understanding that once the candle is consumed you will not have that leftover ceramic piece. What you are describing sounds more like the Diffuser item rather than a candle (which you could describe as having a tea light underneath if you include the materials), or incense.
    5. There are not currently soap dishes, although these could become available in the future.
    6. Yes, you can use a dye kit and dye tags with soaps and candles (and food!).

Thank you so much!! This is so incredibly helpful. I'll definitely head in to join the craft guild when I'm able to. This definitely answers all my questions posted I think.

General question off the answer to question 4 - I was under the impression I could only design candles and soaps, but I can design diffusers too? Or is that part of a different trade?
  • ImvraImvra Immortal Immortal
    You possess the following abilities in Perfumery:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essential Oils       The basic component for perfumery.
    Perfume              Create your own scent.
    Cologne              A weaker dose of your chosen scent.
    Diffuser             When the ambience needs to be just right.
    Beard Oil            Dapper facial hair deserves a nice smell, too.
    Candles              Scented candles provide an excellent atmosphere.
    Soap                 Get clean faster and smell nice, too.
    Scented Letters      When sending mail needs a more personal touch.
    Balms                No one enjoys chapped lips.
    Lotion               Moisturize your skin.
    Aromachologist       Create personalised candles and soaps.
    The bottles for oils and the diffuser vessel are made through Jewelcraft.
    Ianthe
  • Imvra said:

You possess the following abilities in Perfumery:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essential Oils       The basic component for perfumery.
    Perfume              Create your own scent.
    Cologne              A weaker dose of your chosen scent.
    Diffuser             When the ambience needs to be just right.
    Beard Oil            Dapper facial hair deserves a nice smell, too.
    Candles              Scented candles provide an excellent atmosphere.
    Soap                 Get clean faster and smell nice, too.
    Scented Letters      When sending mail needs a more personal touch.
    Balms                No one enjoys chapped lips.
    Lotion               Moisturize your skin.
    Aromachologist       Create personalised candles and soaps.
    The bottles for oils and the diffuser vessel are made through Jewelcraft.
    Thank you so much for the clarification!

I didn't realize just everything I could do with this talent. Super stoked now. B)

Thank you @Tekias and @Imvra for helping me out!
  • PhoeneciaPhoenecia The Merchant of Esterport Somewhere in Attica
    To answer the question about scents, I have this handy thing here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1l34iNJOf743lP0O1lUXaqq60Ny4IMAAtWE7ByU5mTv8/edit?usp=drive_web&ouid=109985538057175656414

Lists all available scents, including god oils, and what they look like when placed in each slot, which you can pick from the drop-down menus.
    Ianthe said:

2. Are there more oils available in the game beyond Esme’s shop, or is that my one stop place?

There are god oils, but they're only available through promos, though a few of us, myself included, have small stockpiles hidden away.
    Ianthe said:

3. For designing candles and soaps, do I just worry about their short desc, dropped desc, and probed desc? Do I just use the paperless design system for grabbing a design and edit everything from that blank design? Are there other things to worry about describing, like actions such as lighting a candle?

When you DESIGN COPY the base candle or soap designs, there's a bunch of fields you can fill in. That's pretty much all that's required. For custom soaps and candles (except fumology candles), it's just appearance, dropped, and examined.
    Ianthe said:

4. How much liberty do I have in designing candles? Can I design a candle holder too? (For example, a white candle with the oil syntax to reference a fragrance housed in a sinuous ceramic dragon candle holder. Probably a bit long but I hope that gets across what I mean?) Or is there another talent or tradeskill that offers options for that?

Perfume bottles, cologne bottles, diffusers, etc are all made in jewelcraft if you want custom ones. These can all be refilled and reused until they decay. It's still cheaper to just use the ones in the Perfumery shop because they're readily available.
    Ianthe said:

6. Can I use the dyekit system in describing candles and soaps?

You can, yes! Dyekit tags can be used for pretty much all designs. Except maybe cooking.

One BIG THING I will warn you about with Perfumery, though: I'd HIGHLY recommend picking up the Perfumery station (perfumery boon artifact), and I say this for multiple reasons.

1. Your production is quadrupled. Not only does it double charges when you actually mix an oil, but it also doubles the uses out of the resulting products made with that scent. 450cr is a lot to drop, but it stretches your materials out quite a bit further. Not really necessary for the basic essential oils, but absolutely crucial if you want to use god oils.

2. Any custom essential oils you make will be permanently stored in the perfumery station. It won't store base oils or other perfumery materials indefinitely, but it's still really handy. It'll also only store 100 items total.
    Ianthe
  • @Phoenecia This is all amazing!! Thank you so much for the tips, and for the link.

Once I start getting some of the god-based oils, I'll definitely make sure to get the perfumery station (if not before).

I'm super excited, thank you for the help!
  • PhoeneciaPhoenecia The Merchant of Esterport Somewhere in Attica
    I should also note that god oils have a very short decay time, so unless you use them in a custom essential oil right away, they need to be kept stored in a shop stockroom. That's part of why you don't see too many.
    Ianthe
  • KynaKyna Victoria, Australia
    Hello!

Everyone has answered all of your questions, but I wanted to drop a note for two reasons:

1) We will expand with more oils in the future, but there is no ETA on when. The idea is to allow you to make your own oils with various, realm-wide ingredients. It's a lot of work though, so it is on backburner until some time frees up.

2) I'm super glad you're loving perfumery specifically, but crafting also as an extension! We're pretty proud of our systems here and all of our players / characters in the crafting community are friendly and helpful.
    IantheDidi