Good RP and character background tips

AloliAloli Between Books

Hello folks,

In the last few weeks, I've been able to invite some friends over from other MUDs and MUSHs that I used to play to check out Aetolia and I've seen them run into situations where other players hold them and their character's background stories accountable to game mechanics, limiting their back story. So, I thought I'd share a few things to help bring some awareness.

HELP GOODRP has a few interesting things to remember but the whole file is really good to read!

- Do not rely on game mechanics to define your reality and judgments. An example of this would be saying, "All vampires are responsible for their state because they must have AGREEd to become a vampire," whereas a better player would not allow that mechanic to dictate the roleplay surrounding an embrace or how their character reacts to the circumstances of individual vampires.

- Make your character feel like a real Aetolian person. Give your character flaws and weaknesses and let them make mistakes and learn. Allow your character to change over time. Real people change over the years, as different things happen to them and they learn more about themselves, and your character should, too.

- Use the setting of Aetolia to its full extent to create a character that could not exist in any other realm.

- Stay in character, even (or especially) when someone emotes that you are being pinned against a wall. Roleplay out of it, or even along with it.

- Treat non-player-characters ("mobs") as if they were just as real as other characters.

- Some roleplayers believe it is poor form to use the ID number of a monster or to ask someone in a public area to "doublewhisper" them to work on their "reflexes". They prefer to avoid slipping into OOC behaviour in public or referencing OOC behavior with thinly veiled euphemisms and synonyms. An example would be substituting the word "reflexes" for "triggers" as if it made such a discussion any more IC. They also suggest limiting or eliminating modern colloquiums from your speech ("newbie," "dude," et cetera). However, other roleplayers believe these IC terms for OOC matters are invaluable when discussing matters that cannot be avoided. For example, referring to the player as his 'soul' takes an OOC term and makes it IC. A good player does not 'logoff,' he 'departs from the realms.' He does not 'go on a vacation,' rather he 'embarks on a journey beyond Sapience.'

(I'm guilty of taking long walks in Dendara to 'meditate' or travel back 'home' where my character originally comes from, beyond Sapience.)

* - Some believe it's most important that your characters should appear to be consistent in how it behaves and how it reacts. Roleplay at the core is the person's ability to capture a convincing, enthralling role. It isn't the quality of your emotes, or the way you speak. It is how consistent you are with the personality (the role) you have envisioned for your character, and how well you remain in that character. An example of a typical failing in this area would be a person who plays a character that sits at one moral extreme, such as being a necromancer, but has an OOC friend who plays a character at another extreme, such as a Luminary, and the two characters freely associate without any kind roleplay to explain their interaction.

Following your character's natural reaction to situations is important and this sometimes means allowing your character to develop a dislike for people who you normally don't dislike because of the situations they have found themselves into - consistency is the key to excellent roleplay and if others are simply confused by the reaction you -can- step out of character to tell them, "((OOC: Since my character was put in a situation where their fear/paranoia/excitement/passion is pushed, this reaction is for the story, not against you)) etc.

I would encourage reading these files for those seeking to improve their story-telling with consistency and an open mind that is not limited to the game's mechanics, but more importantly, RP that does not cross IC and OOC boundaries and flows naturally for your character's personality: HELP ROLEPLAY, HELP GOODRP, HELP INTERACTION, HELP BACKGROUND, HELP CHARACTER'S ROLE, and HELP ESTEEM!

(Even the Gods can be esteemed to tell them how wonderful you think they are and send them love for all the fun stuff they do for you!)

Also, a few years ago Gretel gave us an awesome intro to roleplaying too: Gretel's Guide to Roleplay

I miss Hansel and Gretel...anyways, that's all folks!

Hope this was helpful.
Between what is said and not meant, and what is meant and not said, most of love is lost. - Khalil Gibran
TeaniKalinaarLeana

Comments

• - Accept your spot on the power scale. There are people who can trash me in pk, and Toz acts accordingly- it's a reality that on a given day, certain people can beat me down. It's not bad form for someone to put you in your place, either, if you get mouthy.

- Accept responsibility for your IC actions. It's a two way street, too- if Toz clips your shoulder and calls you a name, absolutely 100% dislike him, or complain. ICly dislike characters who give your char a reason to. But if YOURS does something jerkish, be prepared for it to come around, too. It is mercifully less now, but for awhile there was a lot of <rude act IC, demand a thing> then an immediate OOC tell //haha sorry x is such an asshole, can I have <thing>?

- Talk cross faction. Not buddy buddy, perhaps, but if something happens comment on it? Every side has SOME reason to engage the others, and if you don't- even if it's to antagonize - you're cutting yourself off of a chunk of the population. Aloli and Toz had a long talk about Damariel, and beliefs about Him, for example. It got me out of my circle, and he still has the book she sent.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

AloliTekiasTeaniIazamatMoxieZailaLuasLeana
  • TekiasTekias Wisconsin
    Toz said:

- Talk cross faction. Not buddy buddy, perhaps, but if something happens comment on it? Every side has SOME reason to engage the others, and if you don't- even if it's to antagonize - you're cutting yourself off of a chunk of the population. Aloli and Toz had a long talk about Damariel, and beliefs about Him, for example. It got me out of my circle, and he still has the book she sent.

I can personally attest to this one. Tekias, a Spirean bureaucrat and Sciomancer big-medium wig, even has a favorite spot at a certain time of day: Watching the sun rise over the horizon, at Enorian's Alter of Fire and Water. He absolutely loves the view, likening it to a Bob Ross painting if he could do so IC. And, naturally, that location at that time brings in a -lot- of Spirit-side players. Has had plenty a long discussion while there.
    Formerly: Spiegel. Eidycue.

Hi.

AloliLuas
  • AloliAloli Between Books
    Another one I could add:

- A character starting off as 18-30, being announced as being "new" to the game is another example of not holding someone hostage to game mechanics. If they play older (because of some age modifying artifact) or they sound more experienced, don't get caught up forcing them to pretend to be newbs and forcing your help down their throat. Allow people to play as they like :)
    Between what is said and not meant, and what is meant and not said, most of love is lost. - Khalil Gibran
    TeaniLeana
  • I'm gonna disagree hard there. They're called age-falsifying for a reason, and the last time they got dragged out in a big way was to be condescending to everyone else because "I'm older than you". If somebody's new, they're new.

oh wait, toz is famous

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

you disgust me

TeaniLuasLeana
  • PhoeneciaPhoenecia The Merchant of Esterport Somewhere in Attica
    - If you're not familiar with the game's history or setting, but still want to have something for your character background, don't be afraid to be afraid or generic. 'I'm from a small town in the plains' or 'I used to work on merchant ship/fishing boat along the coast' or 'I'm the heir to a noble family that's fallen on hard times and I'm out to restore our name'. You can add finer details later on once you've got a firmer grasp on what's happened when.

- Assume your character is doing things 'off screen' when you're not actually roleplaying them. Your character enjoys gambling? Can mention offhand a card game they've lost recently even if you didn't actually RP it during your play time. Your character runs a tavern/works in one? Can talk about a fight they broke up the other day or complain about rowdy patrons. Makes it feel a lot more like the character has an actual life.

- Be careful of 'godmodding'. RPing, particularly when it comes to physical altercations that don't warrant or don't escalate to PK mechanics (a bar room brawl is a prime example), is a two-way street, so be careful of forcing things like being grabbed or being punched. Don't assume every hit lands. You want to avoid the dreaded 'godmodding'? Emote throwing the punch and where you're aiming, and let the other person decide whether or not it hits. Don't assume you dodge everything either. Don't be That Guy. Go with the flow, and do what's most entertaining.

- Be wary of how much you utilize 'faceless NPCs' in developing your character. Yes, we all want our characters to grow, change, become stronger, or have fun/interesting things happen to them, but the bulk of your character development ought to come from interactions with other characters. Personally? I feel it's fine to have little vignettes of dealing with rowdy patrons in a bar or getting into a bar fight with faceless NPCs or growling at a pompous scholar in a library, but these shouldn't always be front and center. They ought to be glimpses into your character's daily life and not world-changing character development.

- Your character is more than just says or written descs. Mannerisms, accents, the words they choose when speaking, the style of clothes they choose to wear, the food and drink they like all inform little bits of their life, personality, or culture and should not be overlooked. They also make for good hooks for people to ask about!

- Tragic/tumultuous past as a backstory doesn't necessarily make it a good one. Yes, Aetolia is a dark and unforgiving place, and war orphans, former slaves, victims of bandits, and whatnot are a dime a dozen. It's not hard to come up with motivations for those types of characters. But what about someone who's lived a relatively normal, happy life? Did they want to serve their city? Are they trying to support a family? Were they bored of being a simple farmhand and sought adventure? Did they see injustice in the world and want to right wrongs? You'd be surprised at how much depth you'd be able to find in a 'mundane' backstory.
    AloliLuasLeanaQeshuamazatl
  • RhyotRhyot Bloodloch
    - Don't assume that just because you get along with someone in an OOC manner means that you have to get everything you want in an IC perspective. Everyone has to play their characters the way their roleplay dictates them. 

-Following up with the prior, just because someone doesnt help you, doesnt mean they dont like you or that they are out to get you. Sometimes, they just dont know your character well enough to take a stick their neck out for you. 

AloliLuas
  • ImvraImvra Immortal Immortal
    - If you aren't certain about game lore, whether it be for your race, the composition of the world, cultures, landscapes, or skills -- Ask! While much of my work is behind screen, I am always available to help shed some insight (sometimes with a double message, please be patient). I can't, and won't, spoiler anything significant, but if you want to know if your class skill can do X, or what is the DEAL with these chempalas, please reach out! We aren't here to police your backstory or narrative, but we also can't endorse/validate everything player creativity comes up with. If we can help you with your development within the context of Aetolia, that's great! And often times, what you guys are working on inspires us to take a look at other places it could influence!
    AloliLuasZailaBenedictoLeana
    Toz said:

I'm gonna disagree hard there. They're called age-falsifying for a reason, and the last time they got dragged out in a big way was to be condescending to everyone else because "I'm older than you". If somebody's new, they're new.

I disagree with this because I've had people wanting to play Phoe's kids long past when they hit 18, so I got them the falsified documents artifact to age them up appropriately. As long as they're RPing within their realm of knowledge and aren't being obnoxious about it, kicking up a fuss about their age being 'false' is being kind of nitpicky.
    Toz said:

I'm gonna disagree hard there. They're called age-falsifying for a reason, and the last time they got dragged out in a big way was to be condescending to everyone else because "I'm older than you". If somebody's new, they're new.

I'm going to disagree with you too, Toz. Not everyone has to start off as a newbie if they aren't actually newbs...but if they are then that's fine!

If I wanted to roll out a new character who is a grumpy old hag living in Tasur'ke well...I shouldn't be restricted to "when the logs say I escaped slaver's isle" should I?
    KalinaarTeani
    Oh. Another thing I forgot to add:

- Find interesting/mundane ways of using your class abilities in your RP. Your class uses weapons? If someone stumbles across you, you can RP out them being interrupted practicing with their sword or sharpening/cleaning their weapons. You're Ascendril? Boil a pot of tea just by using your Elemancy. Monk in need of moving something heavy? Use telepathy to make rearranging furniture effortless!
    AloliLuas
    You use telepathy to move stuff? I absolutely use Kai to ...do stuff...like throwing people against the wall or lifting annoying kids off the ground for a time-out. Interesting, thanks for the tip!
  • I do take mechanics into account when roleplaying.

I can't wrap my head around blind/deaf characters.

I also can't bring myself to "roleplay fight." If someone starts a fight or brawl, Fezzix will fight the most effective way he knows how to get the intended result. If you're out to hurt Fezzix, he will hurt you back through the use of his skills, which happen to be game mechanics. It can be fun to roleplay footwork and how you grip a weapon when teaching someone how to use combat skills, but that's the extent for me.

Defensive posturing, looming over someone, acting threatening, or grabbing them by the shirt collar is another matter, but if it comes to blows, I'm bringing in mechanics. It makes no sense to approach it any other way, to me.
    Leana
    Fezzix said:

I do take mechanics into account when roleplaying.

I can't wrap my head around blind/deaf characters.

I also can't bring myself to "roleplay fight." If someone starts a fight or brawl, Fezzix will fight the most effective way he knows how to get the intended result. If you're out to hurt Fezzix, he will hurt you back through the use of his skills, which happen to be game mechanics. It can be fun to roleplay footwork and how you grip a weapon when teaching someone how to use combat skills, but that's the extent for me.

I feel that's a perfect way to blend game mechanics into your roleplay because these are things your character has spent a long time learning to do and it doesn't make sense to forget them suddenly in a roleplay session but some people might not expect it so I'd warn my roleplay partner before we start a thing that if things got violent, this or that will happen.

The point I was trying to make is in this respect is to allow certain game mechanics to fall by the wayside so they don't hinder someone's ability to write a detailed backstory. Not everyone is going to want to be a 30 year old who escaped from slaver's isle yesterday because the log said they did...not everyone is going to want to add their city academy ito their story, and so on.
  • StathanStathan Hot springs
    Something I want to point because personally I deal with it -a lot-.

If you're trying to pull off a neutral angle, be fully aware that isn't a thing unless you are completely rogue. And even then, you will not be accepted everywhere because of 'lack of conviction'. Sure you'll have people to talk to, but you won't have the solidarity of a city or guild to back you.
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    edited January 2019
    I guess someone can be a 20 year old hag but mechanics= RP. I'm willing to ignore slavers isle stuff and I probably wasn't going to fixate on where people say they come from, doesn't mean I'll actually believe them if they say they are 200 years old or something. As dumb as it sounds people EARNED their oldness from sticking around here so long, it's a part of the mythology of the game. Fine if people want to fake it, but that's what it is.
    StathanTeani
  • ZailaZaila Pacific Time
    Toz said:

I'm gonna disagree hard there. They're called age-falsifying for a reason

I've got two thoughts on this: A: I agree. It's falsification, you aren't REALLY that old. I'm all over RP the mechanics.

B: My character doesn't know what "the mechanics are". I can't reasonably argue ICly "Yeah, but you only just left the isle, so I know you're not really that old, because that's how the game works", but I could argue "I've never heard of someone over the age of 30 escaping the isle." And, realistically, I will generally have Zaila try to rationalize why something that conflicts with the mechanics could be possible as well as possible in attempts to respect other people's rp. We're all here to have fun.

That said: Zaila has an artifact that allows me to see your character's "actual" birthdate. This means my character knows your character falsified their papers and I am going to RP as if I know - whether or not Zaila alerts you to her knowledge outright.
  • Zaila said:

Toz said:

I'm gonna disagree hard there. They're called age-falsifying for a reason

I've got two thoughts on this: A: I agree. It's falsification, you aren't REALLY that old. I'm all over RP the mechanics.

B: My character doesn't know what "the mechanics are". I can't reasonably argue ICly "Yeah, but you only just left the isle, so I know you're not really that old, because that's how the game works", but I could argue "I've never heard of someone over the age of 30 escaping the isle." And, realistically, I will generally have Zaila try to rationalize why something that conflicts with the mechanics could be possible as well as possible in attempts to respect other people's rp. We're all here to have fun.

That said: Zaila has an artifact that allows me to see your character's "actual" birthdate. This means my character knows your character falsified their papers and I am going to RP as if I know - whether or not Zaila alerts you to her knowledge outright.
    Sure, but for instance "Hey he was 18 last year and now he's all of a sudden 39 this year" is a pretty valid IC thing, too. Mechanics are going to influence RP, at some point, because otherwise you have to handwave and that requires everybody be on-board.

oh wait, toz is famous

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

you disgust me

ZailaLuas
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    I'm definitely on Toz's side with the falsified documents. Even if you want to adjust someone's age to fit more appropriately, it is still falsifying information, and there are ways to tell.

If someone joins the guild at 18-30, and I see their age in honors, my character is not going to buy them claiming to suddenly be an old hag from Tasur'ke equal to her age or even older. It doesn't matter if they RP as if they were present during historic events, because my character will know they are lying through their teeth. Sure, that could potentially set things up for interesting RP, but more likely, it will make her less trusting of said person.

For new characters:
    Most of the time, I ignore Slaver's Isle these days, and instead consider people finally old/strong/mature/ready enough to take up the adventurer's life and join a guild. Meaning, they might have lived as an NPC for 30 years somewhere (anywhere) before taking this step.

My first char had a background that I slowly built up while learning more. Ended up coming from Arbothia (village picked at random), and incorporated the Slaver's Isle part in her story, having been accused, falsely, of murders committed by an unnamed Syssin (made her hate Syssin) and shipped off. I knew nothing of the game world, but it worked.

Second char just sort of wandered into Duiran and became a Sentinel after leaving the desert. Isolated upbringing meant I could play ignorant, but read books, so could speak of some things with a small amount of authority.

Third one grew up as one of many street urchins in Spinesreach, with parents without ambitions to join a guild or becoming adventurers.

It's possible to play it out in so many different ways, and that's what makes the game so interesting.

Stathan
  • I'm happy to ignore stuff like Slavers Isle unless someone specifically mentions it as a part of their past, and I might even be cool with a 'non-consensual' vampire, but said vampire should pick up a bit of the slack, too: consanquine aren't just turned with a single bite. There is ritual and rigmarole involved in the process - so while your character may not -want- to be a vampire, they are still complicit in having undergone their turning.

One of the more important tips, I think, is to not overdevelop a character. Give them loose goals and the basis of a personality, then shape them in the game. Going in as an 18 year old, level 1 carnifex who is a perfect knight and holds fast to their values and has a set personality doesn't give you much room for character growth right when growth should be what defines the character you play.

Another one of varying importance is to think about how traits of your character will influence the people - as players and as characters - who interact with you. I enjoy thought out backstories, but for example, not being able to talk about some common subject because it has a relation with a hidden and traumatic facet of your past doesn't appeal to me as an outside player - I'd rather roleplay with someone whose mysterious trauma causes subtle changes in reaction than total blockup, or someone not traumatised at all.

As a personal comment, I recommend that people try pleasant characters! Aetolia is full of penitent flagellants dripping in self-loathing and guilt for various wrongs no one can remember. You can have a character that isn't broken without them being a Mary Sue. Sometimes a character flaw is as mundane as "I cannot help but openly admire other people's teeth" and not "My ovaries were ripped by undead ghasts and I will fly into a fit of brooding whenever Slyphe high-fives another pregnant woman with its trident I see a happy family or children."
    ZailaTeaniAloli
  • Steele said:

As a personal comment, I recommend that people try pleasant characters! Aetolia is full of penitent flagellants dripping in self-loathing and guilt for various wrongs no one can remember. You can have a character that isn't broken without them being a Mary Sue. Sometimes a character flaw is as mundane as "I cannot help but openly admire other people's teeth" and not "My ovaries were ripped by undead ghasts and I will fly into a fit of brooding whenever Slyphe high-fives another pregnant woman with its trident I see a happy family or children."

I just wanted to quote this because it hit home. I intentionally made Cailean a rather happy go lucky guy. He's got his flaws and his pissy moods. Also he's a bit of a pyro, sometimes. But seeing other people react to genuinely happy characters is an absolute blast!
    SteeleKalinaarAloli
    Great points @Steele and @Cailean thank you for reposting that one paragraph about having a pleasant character. I fully support it and in fact I help facilitate it in my guild when I meet young novices who are still discovering themselves and figuring out their backgrounds through simple questions.

I would add that it is simply much easier to gravitate toward those people who have a cheerful disposition and love to joke and laugh without taking life like a joke or too seriously. I believe Phoenecia touched on this in an earlier post too.

Good luck to everyone and happy roleplaying! :)
    Kalinaar
    Re: cheery vs not characters:

Don't worry about that too much and just play someone you will enjoy. Don't worry about if other people will like your character design or if your style of writing fits anyone else: aim to create a character that you will enjoy RPIng. There are niches for all sorts of RP styles here, so go with what you like and have fun. I've played drastic ends of the spectrum, the happy bubbly cheery box that people constantly tell is a ray of sunshine and joy - I've also played the bitter, rude, selfish snot with a pile of baggage so long it'd need its own train car.

Just bear in mind that what you play will dictate what RPortunities are presented to you by other players. If what you really enjoy is the darker, grittier, gory RP or drama - you aren't likely to get it if you play the bubbly sunshine box. But play a rude, selfish jerk? It'll flock to you like white on rice. Your writing style will certainly play into who RPs with you as well (some folks just do or don't click) but your character's personality will dictate it more.

In the same vein, if you want more easy going, casual slice-of-life RP, you'll push a LOT of that away by playing a self-centered jerk who can't crack a smile.

Ultimately, you're not going to get hooked on the game unless you're having a lot of fun playing who and how you want. One of the great things about Aetolian RP is that there is a niche for all different styles, which makes it feel like a more whole and realistic fantasy world. Not everyone is bubbly, friendly, and easy-going and not everyone is a rigid jerk with a stick up their keister; some people just want to hang around and RP their ten babies and craft cool things while other people want to RP a yearly self-flagellating in memory of that time they killed their best friend in a boating accident.

To any newbies out there: You do you. Just do it with us and have fun!
    HavenPazradym
  • edited February 2019
    I have one piece of advice to add. I've been RPing since I was a little kid playing d&d with my big brothers. I've probably RPed every possible personality there is from the brooding badass to the paranoid, self esteem lacking, clumsy rogue and I've learned one very important thing; Flaws are what make characters the most enjoyable.

As a man I've noticed especially other men tend toward trying to start out being the overly serious combat badass. What I love about aetolia is, the combat system has checks in place to prevent someone from pulling that off via emotes. We'll find out real fast if you can actually back that personality up or not and there is always a bigger fish anyway to ensure you learn to RP failure and defeat.

Personally, I also dislike playing good looking and intelligent characters as well. It's funny when some female in heat tries to romantically RP with my clueless and smelly kalinaar since he frequently turns down wash rags (looking at you @Aloli!) and isn't good looking even among Trolls. This leaves room for interesting and uncommon RP responses too often neglected as many would rather play an intelligent and handsome character.

TLDR: Flaws are a good thing. Let people rp how they want. 
    ZailaAloli
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    edited February 2019
    Don't be afraid to just change things or make them up as you go along or find details or ideas as you go down the road and just nom them down and incorporate them into your whole deal. Maybe some other player is actually your long lost cousin or sibling, or hey that woman looks familiar is that my MOM!? Having a loose idea of where you're from or who your character is great, and some people DO like to come out the gate with a whole elaborate deal, but sometimes it's best to mold yourself into the world. It's certainly a lot easier! Same thing like don't feel like you have to stay consistent with details you haven't told anyone else yet, if you can make your character work better for you by changing things, screw internal consistency just run with what will be the most fun. I do sort of feel like once you air things out they sort of set in stone, but nothing is immutable!
    ZailaAloli
    Kalinaar said:

Personally, I also dislike playing good looking and intelligent characters as well. It's funny when some female in heat tries to romantically RP with my clueless and smelly kalinaar since he frequently turns down wash rags (looking at you @Aloli!) and isn't good looking even among Trolls. This leaves room for interesting and uncommon RP responses too often neglected as many would rather play an intelligent and handsome character.

TLDR: Flaws are a good thing. 

I can't agree more with the points you've made about intelligence and good looks. Also Kalinaar does stink but his reactions entertaining, consistently refusing the washrags has become the reason why certain bucket pranks and washing rituals are happening. Thanks for all the laughs!
    Kalinaar
    @Kalinaar

Actually, information in Honours is described under HELP HONOURS as:
    By typing VIEW HONOURS you may see some publically available information about that player. This information should be considered generally known enough as to be common knowledge.

- i.e. HONOURS is the information available in public records and/or asking around on the street, but without the inconvenience of having your character have to go to a certain records room or finding a random NPC to chat up in order to utilize the syntax. It is intended to be ICly available information.
    Kalinaar
  • Zaila said:
    @Kalinaar Actually, information in Honours is described under HELP HONOURS as: By typing VIEW HONOURS you may see some publically available information about that player. This information should be considered generally known enough as to be common knowledge. - i.e. HONOURS is the information available in public records and/or asking around on the street, but without the inconvenience of having your character have to go to a certain records room or finding a random NPC to chat up in order to utilize the syntax. It is intended to be ICly available information.
    Oh! Well .. shit! I stand corrected. 
    Zaila