LOVE

Comments

• Omei : Next up on the bleak nightmare inducing films has to be 'Tidelands'. It was one of those movies I had to pause and go have a smoke before continuing. I don't normally smoke.

Politics
  • Oh right, love. I'm sitting in the airport tapping away on Skype with a friend I've only met twice IRL but talked online for like 8 years. Decided to stay here for the night so I definitely do not miss my flight or sleep through and comfy hotel room alarms. He says balls to that, tees up with a friend of his to come collect me so I can stay at his house and so I have someone to roll me out of bed when I have to wake up. Most awesome gentleman of a friend ever.

Politics
    IshinAryanneTeaniTrager
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    @Omei - Object lesson on the view(s) of people in power and the value they place on the lives of those they view as less than themselves. Guys like that often had multiple sons and multiple concubines, so the loss of one son wasn't a big deal to them like it would be to us these days, where we only have one or two sons. He probably has twelve or thirteen, not to mention how many wives.

It's also true that 'good' guys don't always win.
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    Omei
  • well, Romeo and Juliet had a fun ending too.
    Stathan
    Lim said:

well, Romeo and Juliet had a fun ending too.

I don't really count that. There's a difference in showing two people who are stupidly emotional, and making a movie that displays just how bad human nature can drag us down.
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    Aryanne
  • KaleighKaleigh The Inn
    edited July 2014

love coming home. Not saying that the southern accent gave me giggles everytine I heard it, but theres seriously nothing like coming home, and having your friends make you dinner. Mmmm 

Ishin
  • Omei said:

So I'm writing this at 4am and I'm only barely sleepy, I guess I've gone full-on Oceanian with my schedule now.

I don't even know what thread to put this in! I just watched Yimou Zhang's Curse of the Golden Flower.

I have seen some twisted film, but this was probably the bleakest, darkest movie I have ever seen. Without employing gore, disturbing imagery, or even bad language, this will probably be the first movie to give me nightmares in many years.

10/10.

I watched it a few years ago, I don't remember where. Dad must have had a free month of HBO or something. Horrifying movie, but isn't the scenery GORGEOUS?

The state of Third Son's face at the end *shudder*
    imageimage "Little pig, little pig, let me in, let me in. You look tasty and smell like bacon." *LICKLICKLICK*
    Omei
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    Love the job I've had for the last three weeks. Sure, it can be hectic, lots of things to keep in mind, many young adults you're in charge of that can end up doing stupid shit, but my group was absolutely amazing!

I've spent 2,5 weeks in Bournemouth (south coast of England) with a group of 16 students (13-18 years old). I was supposed to be a teaching leader, but there was a mix-up, so I ended up being in charge of activities outside of school and also helping other groups with their issues.

Just to give you all an example of what can happen, here's what some of the other leaders had to deal with (naturally, since I had such an amazing group, I helped out to lessen the burden for all the other leaders who -had- issues like these and many more):
    - a student had to go to the hospital because she might have been drugged at a party.
    - a student who was seen shop-lifting, but not by leader or staff, so we had "no proof", and was said to have bragged about shop-lifting several articles of clothing from Primark throughout the trip. Student denies (of course) but looks a bit ashamed when I point out that it would be stupid to shop-lift at a place like Primark anyway, since everything is so cheap there. Her whole body language told me she was lying through her teeth at the meeting, but we could do nothing.
    - students complained about the cleanliness of the host families, bringing photos of a stained couch and curtain and an unswept floor and demanding to be moved elsewhere when host families are a rare commodity and there's little room for people to be shifted around for minor reasons. Better to move those who are actually in dire circumstances where the host parent comes home drunk and starts leering at the young girls.
    - students on a language trip refusing to practice their English despite being asked to by all leaders and that is what they are actually there to do.
    - students complaining about all activities and how boring they are, then complaining about not having anything to do when given free time.
    - students not taking showers and having to be asked by the host family to please utilize their facilities as they are starting to reek.
    - a student getting completely wasted from drinking too much vodka (from a different language school) that an ambulance had to be contacted.
    - students smoking, despite knowing they are not allowed to and being given a first warning.

Some of these things might seem trivial, but consider that each leader has around 15-20 students and some days a few of these things were brought up from several directions at the same time, while at the same time they had to handle the everyday planning and paperwork.

My students continuously kept practicing their English skills, they kept clean, polite and enthusiastic, they were mostly on time and worked on engaging the other students. They didn't complain, but instead took things as part of the experience of being in a different country with different standards. In short, they were awesome!

I've also been allowed to visit Madame Tussauds and see the musical Wicked as part of my job (meaning I didn't have to pay anything at all), enjoy the sun and beach, go sightseeing in London and get to know some truly amazing people. SO. MUCH. LOVE!!

AryanneEmelleIshin
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    I love Leonard Cohen. He's so creepygreat. Just rocking out to him tonight and his sexyscary voice.
    OmeiGwenithElie
  • Ahh, Leonard Cohen. The man whose balls dropped twice.

i am rapture coder
    MoireanTeaniGwenithSheirosiaElie
  • PiperPiper Master Crumbs
    Omei said:

So I'm writing this at 4am and I'm only barely sleepy, I guess I've gone full-on Oceanian with my schedule now.

I don't even know what thread to put this in! I just watched Yimou Zhang's Curse of the Golden Flower.

What in the actual hell did I just watch? (warning, real spoiler is real)

So the entire movie builds up to this historic Ying dynasty rebellion. It's an incredible and terrifying scene and plays out all of the intense, dramatized Chinese fantasy war tropes you know and love from any good wuxia film.

But the rebellion loses. Hardcore.

Like so hardcore that the very moment Glorious Harmonious God-Emperor has decided the fight is done, he withdraws his normal army and pulls out his kowtowing servant army, putting down new carpet, flowers, furniture, and effectively erasing any evidence that a battle just took place.

AND THEN THE BEST PART, RIGHT AT THE VERY END.

Glorious Harmonious God-Emperor: Son, your rebellion has failed. The punishment for this is to be torn apart by five horses. I am prepared to spare you if you personally feed your mother the poison which will slowly turn her insane.

Servants: Here is the Empress' poison! [ sufficiently obsequious display of poison ]

Son: I QUIT. [ commits suicide ]

[ Son's blood lands in the poison ]

Mother: [ screams ]

[ GHG-E is pleased. ]

Roll credits!

Okay, I know I'm a white westerner bastard and I'm used to different worldviews, but holy guacamole, what moral was I supposed to take from this film? Emperor wins always, submit to the Emperor and kowtow like a good little unicorns?

Edit: oh my goddd i just realized that wiping up the battle is a throwback to his lecture on the natural order of the universe, he totally just sits down to his dinner like life is supposed to go back to normal

Edit edit: jeeeeesus no wonder jai killed himself, could you even imagine how creepy that must be

I have seen some twisted film, but this was probably the bleakest, darkest movie I have ever seen. Without employing gore, disturbing imagery, or even bad language, this will probably be the first movie to give me nightmares in many years.

10/10.

I warned you, man. Messed up movie is messed up and beautiful.
  • DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.
    @Sheirosia‌ -- My love will inevitably lead to a rage from @Ishin. But it's so worth it.

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

Sheirosia
    Love getting to see all my brothers from Iraq again. I had mentioned to a couple of others before that I'd be away yesterday and most of today at my Fallujah Reunion. It was fun last night, and today we went to visit the grave of our dead brother. Miss him, and still love him. I'll put up some pictures in the pictures thread in a bit.
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    GwenithMoireanSheirosiaMephistolesHavenTragerJensenNolaAarbrok
  • AarbrokAarbrok Breaking things...For Science San Diego, CA
    Thank you @Ishin for your timed served.
    GwenithIshinSheirosiaOmeiStathanHavenTragerJensenNola
  • <3@Omei
    That experience was awe inspiring.
    I mean, you know, an amount.

OmeiElieEmelle
  • Beer and friends. Goodnight.

JensenOmeiIshinEmelle
  • Once upon a time, I elicit switched a Celani and it somehow gave me Immortal status. This was during a fight, by the way. Suffice it to say, I won that battle.
  • Living back at home means that I am getting to spend some time with my youngest brother. We can talk music and gaming - I got him interested enough in some of my games he even bought one. We had a really nice dinner tonight at the place I used to work, and good conversation with the good people who used to work there. Also got awkwardly hit on, and then when I brought it up, he was like - just friends, too many irons in the fire. Dude, I was just asking. Anyway.

Second interview for a job tomorrow, getting my birth certificate as well so I can get a new ID so I can WORK at the potential new job. Life kicked me down pretty hard, but I am getting there. Slowly.
    AryanneIshin
  • SolariaSolaria Charlotte, NC
    Taco Tuesday. That's all.

AryanneDamonicusRivas
  • EmelleEmelle Dreamshaper Tecpatl's Cradle
    Good friends, food, and music. Hung out with a friend and his spouse last night and it was a fantastic time. As excited as I am to move next week and start my new permanent job, I've been so fortunate for all the opportunities I've had in this temporary position over the past year, not the least of which is having connected with a bunch of wonderful people.
    AshmerAryanneHavenIshin
  • http://www.amazon.com/Assail-Novel-Malazan-Empire-Novels-ebook/dp/B00HXZZXAM/ref=pd_sim_kstore_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=10PR6MBX0JD3JFECDNCW

Not written but Steven Erikson, but his buddy Esslemont who's been doing most of the other short forays into the Malazan world with his band of characters to shed light on the side plotlines and histories. But ASSAIL. I've been wanting to learn so much more about this area of the world. I can't wait.
    HavenAshmer
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    @auresae pictures pictures pictures pictures please puppy pictures
    EmelleIaneaAryanneAshmerPiper
  • I have Calvin Harris's 'Summer' playing in the background when I checked this, and noticed how perfect the sync-up is with @Auresae's sig. It's hilarious.

As for more love:

- I love this tan I'm getting, regardless of random sun rash.
    - I got my schedule fixed within 10 minutes of talking to my boss.
    - My butt looks awesome from pea-picking.
    EmelleHavenMelantha
  • MarienaMariena By a lake.
    Man, I love making those chibi-like dolls. Getting paid for them is a bonus, they are honestly fun to craft and create. I have so many aetolians I want to do, just for the challenge of it. This isn't a shameless plug either (but if it inspires you to buy, please don't let me stop you!).

I just honetly love making dolls, I found out. The hand-crafting is a soothing process and it's challenging, plus it allows a use for embroidery other than patching up clothes.

EmelleIshinGwenithIaneaKaleigh
    Omei be rockin' out with his rapture out.
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    AshmerElie
  • @nola pictures pictures pictures pictures butt pictures.
    IshinJensenSetneEmelleTragerHavenNolaXavin