Games You Should Try

SeirSeir Seein' All the ThingsGetting high off your emotion
Hello all!

So given that the Aetolian community is full of video game nerds, enthusiasts, and all around players of all types. I made this thread for individuals in the community to recommend non-AAA/indie games (or perhaps AAA games that folk are on the fence on/may not know about) to try to get people to broaden their horizons or just play something truly amazing that they're missing out on.

Basically, I'll try to set up the format for suggestions with the title, if there's a price involved, who would/wouldn't like the game, and maybe some screenshots if I can manage it. I'll also throw in a little voting system as well. If you've played the game and liked it, go ahead and agree with the original post of the person who recommended the game and cite why you liked it. Disagree if you didn't, but if you disagree, I'm going to insist that you do post your criticisms. In any event, I'll kick this off with some games that I've been playing.

Comments

• SeirSeir Seein' All the Things Getting high off your emotion
    Name: Project Zomboid
    Genre: Sandbox/Survival Horror
    Who Would Like It: Any fans of Minecraft, Terraria, DayZ. Survival Horror enthusiasts.
    Who Wouldn't Like It: If you're looking for more action-oriented zombie shooters, you may not like it. Same if you didn't like the games above. Also: Arbre.
    What the Game is About: Basically, the game plays like a top-down survival game. You're in a neighborhood and the goal from the get go is survival. It's not about running around and shooting up zeds. It's about scavenging, hoarding up food and water, taking care of your general faculties, and finding that safe place to sleep for the night. One bite can generally mean infection and death.
    Price: Currently, the price is $7.99. It plays on Windows and Mac. There are Steam keys available.
    Anything else I should know: The game is still in the alpha/beta stage, so they're constantly adding new stuff and dealing with bugs. I can say that the game is pretty stable and I've enjoyed it immensely.
    edited November 2013
    Name: XCOM: Enemy Unknown
    Genre: Strategy/Action
    Who Would Like It: Any original fans of the XCOM series, strategy fans, people who like customization.
    Who Wouldn't Like It: People who don't like strategy games. I can't think of any other criticisms for it.
    What the Game is About: While the game may be a AAA title, I was shocked to find that many people still have not played XCOM: EU. The game was developed by Firaxis, the same folks who made the addicting Civilization series. Basically, Earth is being besieged by alien abductions and a council of nations have convened to create the XCOM project to combat it. You are the Commander of said initiative. The goal is to initially begin combating said aliens with outdated ballistics weaponry versus their highly advanced weaponry, but as time goes on, you'll begin reverse-engineering their technology and using it against them. All the while managing the panic in individual countries so they don't withdraw their support, building your base, and managing your troops.
    Price: The price usually is around $39.99 normally. However, I was able to obtain the game and all DLC for 10 bucks. It frequently goes on sale on Steam, Green Man Gaming, Desura, etc.
    Anything else I should know: The game is amazingly fun, has an immense amount of replayability because each game requires you to adopt a different strategy in keeping countries. One thing I will say is that you should expect to lose soldiers (and you will get attached to them). You will fail at times and the chances of you losing at least one or two countries is likely. Oh, and there is a DLC coming out soon called Enemy Within that will allow you to gene mod your soldiers and mechanically enhance their bodies (like Adam Jensen from Deus Ex: Human Revolution, for example). It also will be adding an internal threat from a human terrorist organization basically trying to destroy XCOM in an attempt to rule Earth once the aliens have done whatever they wanted to do.
    Jensen
    Name: Crusader Kings II
    Genre: Grand Strategy
    Who Would Like It: Fans of Paradox Interactive games, history fans, sandbox fans.
    Who Wouldn't Like It: More action-oriented players may not like it.
    What the Game is About: CK2 is getting a little bit more well known these days, but it's my understanding that a lot of people still have not played it. The gist of the game is that you can play as a medieval lord, duke, king, or even an emperor and the goal of the game is honestly what you make out of it. A lot of strategy games tend to be about the civilizations themselves, but that kind of takes a backseat in CK2. CK2 is mainly about politics, people, and where plots and backstabbing intrigue are pretty much the norm. For example, I've frequently managed marriage plots with kingdoms like France so my heir is set to inherit the land and then had assassination plots for newly born children who'd threaten my heir's inheritance of the kingdom. Yeah, infanticide is common. You can play as catholic fiefdoms, and DLC allows you to play as Muslims, Orthodox folks, or pagan folks like the Norse in the Old Gods DLC.
    Price: Currently, the price is $39.99. It plays on Windows. It goes on sale off and on and I would highly advise getting the DLC with the game when it does. However, the original game offers a lot.
    Anything else I should know: The game itself has a bit of a learning curve, but it's not hard to get into. You can watch some pretty good Let's Plays on it on Youtube, or play with an easy place like one of the Irish Dukes and attempt to unite them all to become the Kingdom of Ireland. Also, this game has one of the most well-known mods: the Game of Thrones mod and it's the best game for that kind of setting given the intrigue, wars, etc. In the mod, you can play as one of the Seven Kingdoms, or a minor lord and try to rise to prominence. I have, for example, gone from a meagre lord to King of the Iron Throne in one game through a few generations.
  • Will upvote Project Zomboid. Game is legit, and I only played it a year or so ago, so it's probably super good now.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

• JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    Sounds like you would enjoy state of decay... Also can't wait for the new day z
  • I have State of Decay. Was going to write up a post about it later, actually. Haven't gotten very far, but it's lots of fun.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

• ZombieU is also pretty fantastic in the same vein. Hard as hell in some parts though.
  • Simpson: Tapped out. I got it for my kindle. Surprisingly addictive. I also came in 2 weeks before end of Halloween run, and I'm trying to load up all the Halloween squishies I can without actually spending actual money. Past $2.
    imageimage "Little pig, little pig, let me in, let me in. You look tasty and smell like bacon." *LICKLICKLICK*
    Kaleigh
  • Trying Assassin's Creed 4 tonight :) Really want to learn how to download a pirate.