Talent Ideas

Hi guys!

I wanted to start up a thread to get some ideas churning for some potential new talents you guys may be interested in seeing.

Disclaimer: Just because an idea is written does not guarantee it will be added. This is strictly for ideas.

Feel free to share any ideas you have!

Alexina

Comments

• MacavityMacavity Chicago, Il
    not an idea on a new talent but an addition to two currently in play..

allow pyrotechnics to be combined with fletching, in which you can attach small bombs onto arrows!  
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
  • - Perfumery
    - Cosmetics: Both of these would offer a line addition to the desc or attire with a short decay time.
    - Drum Makers: We have all kinds of other instruments, why not percussion? :( 
    - Glassblower
    imageimage
    Puppeteering
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Mastema
  • EleanorEleanor FOR SCIENCE
    Glassblowing currently comes under jewelry.

Papercraft was always something rolled around- custom letter designs would be lovely, and perhaps custom quills and things could be thrown into that.

Periluna
    Oh hey, that's cool! I like that idea. +1 fishing!

no NO NO NO NO NO NO to FISHING!!!  This is NOT WoW!!!   Fishing over and over again SUCKS and would waste a TON of time!!!
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

AarbrokPeriluna
    but how i mine for fish

• SolariaSolaria Charlotte, NC
    Macavity said:
    no NO NO NO NO NO NO to FISHING!!!  This is NOT WoW!!!   Fishing over and over again SUCKS and would waste a TON of time!!!
    Actually, Imperian has a great fishing system. It can be decent for non-bashing gold/xp, plus something to do when you're really bored. Just because WoW has something doesn't mean that it's a terrible idea, depends on how you make it happen.

• I miss Achaea fishing so bad. It was just...oddly fun to do.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

AngweAarbrokInfin
  • SessizlikSessizlik Muffin Mage
    How about fixing brewery? <.<
    MoireanPerilunaInfin
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    From Small Ideas - yes plox for percussive talent!

Bangier:
    Drum (kettle, bodhran, talking drum, etc)
    Cymbal
    Tambourine
    drum stick
    bell
    singing bowl/chakra
    chime
    marimba/xylophone
    dulcimer/piano?

Something that lets us change the appearances of certain building items, like doors.

Bartering, where we can set up little tiny shops and haggle (by shops I mean things carried in a container/inventory so we could have little impromptu street markets and flog wares).

MinaraelArbrePerilunaInfin
  • Painting using the firework system. Where you can place your work on walls in houses and such.

MacavityNoonXenia
  • AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    edited October 2013
    We already floristry and I've always been sort been yearning for a 'gardening' skillset.
    • Grow your own flowers (use a system similar to to brewing to let people name their flower, set unique dropped/appearance/exmained/smell lines).
    • Add shrubberies, trees (maybe even trees that grow fruits), hedges, and similar items as a type of 'furniture' version of using plants.
    • Make it possible to find rare, unique, special seeds in far-off locations. Plant them, fertilise them, tend them, and they will come to adorn your very own house in the most spectacular ways (could be anything from special colours when looking in a room: 'A sweet, heady scent wafts from a bright, orange mountainpeak blossom.' to special ambience messages and such). Uproot them if you're not happy with the result!

Craftable tattoos would be so, so amazing. People are already able to get tattoo items in certain organizations already, so this is not exactly a completely new thing anyway. Letting people design their own would be a huge bonus to the crafting system.

I've also asked for piercings to be added in the past, but that could easily be covered in jewelcrafting as well.

I think Damonicus is unto something with a painting talent. Remove paintings/murals/etcetera from furniture, put them into the paintings tradeskill, then add things like warpaints (for yourself or your warhounds) or other such things. In addition, let people make freeform paintings if they prefer, using the fireworks system instead of actually describing the painting in words.

Another thing to consider would be removing all the special metals/gemstones/crystals/etcetera that are scattered across the game and add some sort of 'prospecting' or other resource gathering trades, but that might just be redundant.

AngweMinaraelXeniaMarienaAarbrokPeriluna
  • Can we make our own triptycha disc designs? I suppose we'd just design the disc/set of tiles and then the game could randomize the tile values.  Pwetty pwease?

Also, yes to letter/paper making, please... and all of the other ideas, really, they sound cool.
    Xenia
  • Damonicus said:
    Painting using the firework system. Where you can place your work on walls in houses and such.
    Graffiti FTW!
    Infin
  • Fishing in Imperian was pretty fun. That could also be partially because I replaced all the messages with ASCII art and goofy, smart alec commentary.  It could be improved upon to make it more dynamic.

imageimage
  • PhoeneciaPhoenecia The Merchant of Esterport Somewhere in Attica
    I'm going to agree that having a fishing talent would be pretty awesome. Maybe you could stick creating our own fish tanks to be part of that too.

Animal taming would also be nice if we could put smaller animals in the cages we can make in Jewelcrafting.

From Achaea, I kind of always liked the Shipbuilding skill in theory because 'omg boats', but I don't think that'd work quite as well here because having wilderness maps like Achaea does would suck in addition to having to spend several RL hours just to travel on a boat to someplace.

I also like the idea of having a Heraldry talent, though that'd probably just make things needlessly complicated since we can just describe all that stuff in crafting designs already without having to use the terminology.

Maybe having a music composing talent would be cool. Have it so that you can write 'sheet music' for instruments that can be toggled on when someone plays an instrument. Essentially you'd just be writing a bunch of performance emotes for other people to use or something like that to give instruments something nifty.
    Infin
  • I like the idea of sheet music. As someone who can't carry a tune or read it inrl.
    imageimage "Little pig, little pig, let me in, let me in. You look tasty and smell like bacon." *LICKLICKLICK*
    Infin
  • edited October 2013
    +1 to Fishing
    +1 to Taming
    +1 to Shipbuilding

I like Imperian's taming system (though it shouldn't have the combat application that Imperians did/does have)

Midkemia's fishing system is also pretty cool, especially since there are small but decent credit rewards for leveling it up (since it levels up by being used). It tends to be a bit boring though. I like the @mastema fishing ideas a LOT. Whaling might also be a way to introduce very very simple boats, and more sea areas. Getting the commodity creation part right might also get people more involved with city activities.

For @phonecia ideas on shipbuilding, just make sailing a ship cause you to head off into "the ocean", which is a looped set of rooms where you can randomly get attacked by pirates, drown in storms, shoot albatrosses, and discover (and name?) islands, which don't do anything except get you added to something similar to the explorers rankings. Minor rewards, balanced by, you know, death by pirate, drowning, scurvy, and starvation (especially if you shoot the albatrosses). Also, fighting on a ship, and tracking wins and losses for Pirate/Privateer rankings.

(Alright, sorry for the derail.)
    SolariaMastemaHavenInfin
  • edited October 2013
    Macian said:
    discover (and name?) islands
    I would do this and name each and every island "Dickbutt". I am sorry for the foul language, but it is true.

USER HAS BEEN BANNED FOR THIS POST.
    MastemaPiperXavinMacianXeniaInfin
  • +1 Triptycha
    +1 Painting
    +1 Gardening
    +1 Fishing

Just wanted to let it be known I would want these talents.

Infin
  • Triptycha talents won't be happening.
    OleisInfin
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    What? No 'Women of Spinesreach: Bikini Edition' (not to forget the highly anticipated 'Men of Enorian: Banana Hammock edition) tiles?!
    IvolnAarbrokXeniaInfin
  • IvolnIvoln Azvosh Rakar
    I will strongly consider both of those.
    AngweXeniaArbreInfin
  • AarbrokAarbrok Breaking things...For Science San Diego, CA
    Aarbrok would literally just be holding an actual banana sadly in a hammock.
    AngweXeniaInfin
  • AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    This may just be the best idea ever:

Chimaera breeding:
    Raise, breed, and trade your very own unique and special minipets. Design mobs as per normal, then add lines for 'minipet speak', and 'minipet dance'. Each design you purchased would be a specific template, such as 'serpent', 'canine', 'inanimate', 'ethereal', and so on and so forth, and (this is the best part), in order to 'craft' the minipet in question, you would have to find two minipets of that type to be its parents. You could use another player's, but they would have to 'AGREE'.

Maybe you would need incubator rooms in your home/haven or special food or whatever while it was growing up. It would be your very own tamagotchi.

Do want.
    Infin
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    ...I preemptively ban this from the Sentinels.
    NeithanInfin