State of Roleplay?

Hey, folks. 

So, this isn't really a question that has a direct answer, but I figured this would be the best place to ask.

Basically, I'm curious as to the state of roleplay in the game. I haven't played a MUD in a very long time but I've come into a lot of free time lately and a MUD would help keep me entertained quite nicely. However! I'm not really one for the whole PvP angle, especially in IRE games where it's as confusing as all hell and makes me balk every time. Which is unfortunate, because I like to play warrior types. 

But I'm rambling. Basically, I'd like to hear some opinions as to the general state of roleplay lately. How prevalent is it? What format does it generally take? Does it take place mostly in the main cities, private manses, in other areas? Are people generally collected into small groups that makes it difficult for newcomers and 'outsiders' to break in? Anything an (essentially) new player should know or be aware of?

For bonus points, I'm also a huge fan of Divine interaction and Order RP, so if there's any tidbits you can provide in that vein, that'd be wonderful. 

Comments

• AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    edited September 2013
    RP can be a bit 'cliqueish' due to the small player pool, but players are more-than-willing to integrate newcomers from what I've seen. The main thing is you have to put yourself out there and actively seek RP.

The good news is, it's everywhere, and if you sort of show others that you're someone who enjoys t3h rpz, people will start to seek you out for it themselves!

This is, of course, from someone who's been primarily playing a light-side character (and something of a brute, too) for awhile. Spinesreach and @Iosyne's orders seem to have consistently strong, exciting RP these days, and have for awhile. @Slyphe's Order is another fun one, and in fact, the Divine recently changed persona and tenants somewhat, from what I've heard. @Dhar and @Omei are always interesting.

Over in @Haern's order, we're slowly gearing up to the nadir of a long-building conflict that a Shaman or a spiritually sensitive Sentinel would particularly enjoy participating in; one that threatens dire repercussions for entire Council.
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    I agree with Angwe on most parts here. I've played a little on both sides though mostly on the "light" side of the game. There's RP to be had almost anywhere if you just try.

The easiest way to get some RP is to read and understand how to use the custom EMOTE system as quickly as possible, so that when you begin to interact with people, they will see immediately that you're someone who wants to interact and not just chat and get information.

For the record, don't expect Divine interaction. When it happens, treasure it and have as much fun as you possibly can. That said, there are Divine who take an active role outwards and they have been mentioned by Angwe. There might be others who are lurking in the background, interacting with smaller groups. All of them makes it worthwhile to be close, whether as a follower or avid opposer of their ways.

There are places in the world where it is more likely to get some interaction, like the Black Flagon Inn in Delos, the Core in Duiran, the Inner Gate or Winterbreeze Inn in Spinesreach, Four corners in Enorian and West Gate in Bloodloch.
     - Disclaimer: some of these locations are also popular for those who wish to idle, but you can always try to interact with those who stand there. Just don't be discouraged if they don't respond. There are always others!

• PhoeneciaPhoenecia The Merchant of Esterport Somewhere in Attica
    As @Angwe said, in Aetolia, roleplay is pretty much everywhere and can be relatively easy to find. However, you do kind of have to put yourself out there and make it known that you can RP and want to RP with other people. Keep an eye out for people gathering in groups, establish your character, toss out a few emotes every now and then.

That being said, at the beginning, most of your RP will probably be coming from your city or guild. Keep an eye on where people hang out; every city has one or two major places where people gather, so you can ask about those.

For RP across factions, Delos is a really good place to interact with people from other orgs that you might not get to interact with normally.  @Kerryn has a really awesome place called the Black Flagon Inn where lots of people tend to be.

As far as orders go, if you want interaction with an active Divine and active order mates, Dhar, Haern, Omei, and Slyphe have some pretty interesting people in their orders on the Light side, and the gods themselves are pretty active, though Slyphe has recently undergone a change and is experiencing a surge in activity. On the Dark side, Iosyne and Maghak are also really awesome and have fairly large orders.

Bottom line: get yourself out there and feel things out. If you want to RP, someone is usually more than likely to oblige you and give you some good interaction.
  • edited September 2013
    The standard and quality of roleplay in Aetolia quite simply cannot be compared to that of the other IRE games. Our administrative team has done an absolutely amazing job producing as many mechanically-supported ways to roleplay as they can, and are always open to new ideas.

Some examples:

- We have a special say system. For example:
    say to Slyphe (Falling to his knees in worship) Gee golly Slyphe! You sure are the best!

would produce

Falling to his knees in worship, Angwe says, "Gee golly Slyphe! You sure are the best!"

Even better yet, you can target players within those with the $ token so that you are less limited with your special says.

- Our attire system is something that was more recently implemented that opens up the ability of the player to truly paint an even more vivid picture of their character to others by their description alone.

Clothes and trinkets can be worn, then  modified to go from this:
                                                             (around the neck) a tricolor scarf
    to this:
                                                 (draped loosely over his neck) a tricolor scarf

- Another more recent addition is the custom POSE feature. Want a good way to tell people you're ready to roleplay? Set a custom pose. Generally when entering a room your pose is the first thing people will note, as it stands out above any other regular player descriptions.

You could, for example, be within the Black Flagon Inn looking for RP. Set your pose, and instead of:

Amondrask stands here.

They could see:

Wobbling drunkenly from side to side, Amondrask just barely manages to stand here.

Dang, that looks like somebody I'd want to roleplay with!

- I'm running out of time to write, but we've got the unique ability to tack emotes onto the way you wear, drop, remove, take, drink, give, mount, and dismount things. There may even be others I'm forgetting, the list is constantly expanding.

Aside from pure mechanics, what's been said above is absolutely true. If you put yourself out there for roleplay you will find it. Aetolia's community (all bias aside) very well may be the best of all IRE games. If you want a good gauge on what RP in general is like here; however, take a look at the Roleplay Logs section of the forums.

TeaniJaslineAngwe
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Gretel added this guide last night: http://forums.aetolia.com/discussion/851/newbie-notes-roleplaying

The fact that we have a novice guide about RP...that just highlights how much we like it here...

The RP here is incredible, engaging, creative - and welcoming. Obviously my view is biased, but people over in Spinesreach are always drawing new members into stuff and RPing in public, and I make it one of my goals as a CL and GM to facilitate RP. I might hold a contest that involves people gathered in a tavern telling stories, or plan a ball, subsidize RP arcs with city funds (cough Anfini, cough dat new jail)  - because that is what Aetolia is. Right up there along with the combat and hunting, it's something we love and encourage.
  • A lot of spontaneous RP occurs in 'public areas'. Taverns, main streets, bath houses, universities, pit fighting rings etc. Bored people try to stir up a bit of RP with people that might otherwise keep to themselves. If you see someone idling in the Enorian baths, maybe go wash your horse or dog in it and see what happens.

Also, there isn't as much of a divide between pvpers and rpers in Aet, as there are in other IRE muds. Even pure PVPers can get drawn into something if it's quiet enough and they've got nothing else to do. They won't emote as often, but who cares, right? So long as they're talking in role then it's more fun than idling and doing nothing.
    TeaniHaven