HOW TO LEARN AND WHAT TO STUDY
Learning lessons is how you advance your skills in Aetolia. Skill trees expand as you invest more lessons in them, unlocking new abilities you can use. Practice in an ability or skill tree is not needed to advance it - instead you directly learn lessons from a tutor, which increases your rank in a skill.
Useful syntax for learning:
AB: Shows all your skills
AB <skillset>: Shows all skills in a certain skillset
AB <skillset> <skill>: Shows details about a specific skill
AB <skillset> RANKS: Shows learning breakdown of specific skillsets
LESSONS: Lists how many lessons you have
LEARNED: Lists all your current skills, how many lessons are invested in each, how many lessons remain, and how many lessons to the next rank
Skills fall into several categories: general skills, mercantile skills, guild skills, mini skills, trade skills and talents. The distinctions are as follows:
These skills are available to everyone in the land, and they augment your core class skills by giving you abilities to do things like detect hidden people, manage your equipment, speed up your curing, increase your ability to dodge attacks, or use magical tattoos.
: Every player gets access to a range of mercantile skills to learn, which are skills focused on economics and crafting. You can only know one mercantile skill at a time. To view which skills are available, type SKILL CHOICES, while SKILL SELECT MERCANTILE <skill> will let you pick a skill to master in.
These are your core abilities for combat and hunting, gained through joining a guild. These skills vary immensely, depending on which class you have selected - some guilds focus on studying weapons or hand-to-hand combat, while others train their members in arcane, magical attacks. See the class guide section
for more information about the unique skills each guild offers.
Mini skills tend to offer few actual abilities in their skillset, with more passive effects, such as a scaling ability to resist damage, granted through learning. These skills are much cheaper to learn and serve as an excellent way to bolster your defences.
: Trade skills are one of the game's highlights for those interested in creative crafting or merchantry. Through trade skills you can learn to create a variety of items, writing them with custom descriptions, for personal use or resale to others.
: Talents are miniature versions of tradeskills. For a single cost, you instantly learn to transcendent, earning the ability to make a small range of items. Talents are more niche and the items they make are often less practical than those made through the core trade skills, but they can be a fun and inexpensive choice for a new player interested in trying out the crafting system!
your skills you must learn lessons from another player or from a NPC tutor.
Finding a tutor:
You can use PATH FIND TUTOR to quickly find your way to the nearest tutor. Each guild has their own tutor, while each city also has a public tutor available for citizens to study from. Once you've found a tutor, simply LEARN # <skill> FROM <tutor>, eg LEARN 60 DEATHLORE FROM GRUXMAL. You can learn up to 60 lessons in each batch, if you are a member of a city (otherwise the maximum is 15 at a time, with your mentor able to teach you 20).
- Enorian: Trabarg - A well-kept topiary (room number 14503)
- Bloodloch: Lucisa - A cavernous study (room number 18278)
- Spinesreach: Ashayth - The Spirean Archives (room number 13479)
- Duiran: Raest - The massive core of the Great Oak (room number 43746)
Learning takes lessons - check STAT to see how many lessons you have
available. Lessons for learning are earned by various methods, with the most common way to get lessons is by converting credits into lessons. Credits are a form of currency in Aetolia which can be used for a variety of things, including learning skills.
- Earning new levels
- Converting credits to bound credits
- Competing in various contests in game to win credits
- Winning or placing in the monthly writing and drawing contests to win credits (see HELP BARDICS and HELP ARTISANALS)
- Buying credits from your guild or city to convert into lessons (GHELP or CHELP CREDITS usually explains this process)
- Buying credits off the credit market or from other players with in-game gold.
- Buying credits off Aetolia's website.
To turn your credits into lessons, you must first ensure that the credits are BOUND to you. This means that you cannot transfer the credits to another player - credits earned from gaining levels or from certain promotions are bound to start with, but credits purchased from other players, the credit market or the website are unbound. So, you will need to type CREDITS CONVERT # TO BOUND CREDITS. Converting these credits into bound credits will reward you with 2.5 lessons for each credit you covert, for the first 1000 credits! Once your credits are bound, simply type CREDITS CONVERT # TO LESSONS to turn them into lessons!
- LESSONS: Shows you how many lessons you have total
- CREDITS: Shows you the syntax for using your credits
- CREDIT REPORT: Generates a useful summary of information about credits and lessons.
For individual class information, see the specific class guides. For general skills, check out this useful list of skills to aim for. Bear in mind, this is a fairly basic introduction to skills and only highlights core abilities. When learning these skills, it's helpful to rotate your learning in various skillsets, learning to target goals in a variety of areas.
PvP = useful for combat/PvP against other players
PvE = useful for hunting non-player mobs
Firstaid: 0% Inept
- PvP, PvE
- Automatically cures for you. VERY USEFUL!
See HELP FIRSTAID
for more information.
Diagnose: 75% Novice
- PvP, PvE
- Allows you to assess the things that currently ail your body or mind.
Treading: 0% Apprentice
- All around useful!
- If Living, allows you to prevent drowning while standing still in water.
Clotting: 25% Adept
- PvP, PvE
- Allows you to, with the use of mana, close up bleeding wounds.
Audit: 50% Adept
- All around helpful!
- Allows you to see a summary of your resistances.
Sewers: 0% Skilled
- Gives you access to the caverns that lie beneath cities. More vermin spawn here than in the normal part of the cities.
Extraction: 20% Skilled
- Allows you to extract ylem from foci you find (need LEYLINES in vision to spot them)
Satiation: 40% Skilled
- Great for saving cash on food!
- Makes food you consume restore more of your hunger.
Tumbling: 33% Gifted
- Allows you to tumble out of a room, past blockades and while hindered (such as with broken limbs)
Overkill: 50% Gifted
- Carries over damage from a killing critical strike into your next hit on a new mob. Great for speeding up bashing.
Recovery: 50% Expert)
- PvP, PvE
- Reduces the recovery time on your Tree Tattoo
The following survival skills are more advanced skills for PvP:
Restoration: 0% Mythical
- Heals broken limbs. Recovery time is dependent on how many limbs you cure.
- PvP, PvE
- Allows you to cure a mental affliction through the use of mana
Lists: 0% Inept
- PvP, PvE, Utility
- Highly useful set of skills which let you easily manage your equipment.
Evaluate: 25% Capable
- Shows you all creatures/denizens in your room and their health levels. Excellent for hunting.
Deathsight: 50% Adept
- PvP, Utility
- Allows you to see who died, and who killed them.
Search: 0% Skilled
- PvE, PvP,
- Allows you to find people, or creatures, that are hidden in the same room as you.
Leylines: 0% Gifted
- Lets you detect leyline foci in your area.
The following vision skills are more advanced skills for PvP:
Alertness: 33% Gifted
- Alerts you when people enter your room/rooms adjacent to you.
Wounds: 9% Fabled
- Displays the level of limb damage you or your opponent suffers from.
- Allows you to passively determine curing done by other players.