I think the idea of race-based RP is super fun, but it is fairly under-developed in Aet right now. However, I think fleshing this out could provide some really nifty cross-org and cross-alignment potential for interaction, another level of politics to play at and more engagement and support, especially to new players looking for interaction and information about roleplay.
RACEWHO - Shows who is online from your race
RACEMEMBERS - Shows a list of all the active members from your race
RACE SELECT <race> - For endgamers, picks which race they align with. This is a PERMANENT decision and can only be changed through a long quest line and/or interaction with gods.
RACEINFO - Shows some basic info about your race
- Government style
- Current leadership
- Racial home/base/outpost (see more info below)
- Allied factions (tie-in potential with the faction system)
Each race would be somewhat similar to houses in their mechanical structure, with the following basic features offered:
- Chat channel
- Bank account
- Player editable HELP scrolls
- Player editable projects
- Ranks to earn --> These ranks could be done by favoring and/OR (more fun!) earned through the faction system
- Leadership (see more info below)
- Home/base/outpost (see more info below)
- Credits gained through purchases (MAYBE, not vital, but could be a nice way to encourage activity)
Each race would have its own unique style of leadership. Some examples (all totally made up right now and obviously stuff that could be improved) include:
- Imps: Meritocracy-based Impire (highest ranks, determined by either favors or faction points) become governors
- Horkval: Matriarchal hive council reporting to a queen (eg similar to packs, with each leader on the council)
- Kelki: Theocracy, with Slyphe appointing leadership?
- Trolls: Family clan-based thing?
- Grecht: Commune, with regular temporary leadership elections
Each race would be given a basic outpost/home. This would be a moderately small building with the same expansion costs of a guildhall/house building (ie no wilderness fees). Expanding this out would be one higher-level goal for those interested in racial leadership to work on.
- There could be race-based quests inside the racehall.
- Toss a NPC or two into the racehall. Let them teach racial languages.
- Have all NPCs in the racehall only speak the racial tongue to really drive home the race-home point. Also, it could be a good place to visit for those wanting to learn a language through listening!
- Have an NPC or items to interact with to get IG lore about the races - origin stories, fables, etc (you could hold a bardic or two with this as the theme to get players to crowdsource writing these, as well!). Finding out this kind of info in game is just so much more immersive and fun than reading a help file.
Anyways, just some thoughts. I think this could be done with minimal coding investment (mostly just a lot of copy/paste of house code), but it could also offer a fun new level of play and interaction, giving people another aspect of things to RP, more people to interact with, maybe add a bit of politics and intrigue (not all drama and politics is bad!), and could be a fun tie-in when the factions system come out.