~ A Request for Help ~

edited August 2013 in OOC Chat
Hey guys.

I debated all day about whether or not I wanted to put this here, but finally was convinced that some of you might wanna help out.

I'll start by explaining. There are about 35-50 kids that I help feed weekly. Neighborhood kids that have just been down on their luck, either because parents have lost jobs or they're living in unique situations. 

There are about 20 that desperately need help with school supplies. We've taken to sponsoring them. Getting their supply list and shopping for them. 

All of these kids are genuinely in need of help. We know them and their situations personally. 

So now my request:

I'm hoping that I can personally help sponsor two kids, but would greatly appreciate any help that you can give. This weekend is Alabama's tax-free weekend for school related items and I plan on braving the crowds to go shopping. So, if you feel like you can, then I appreciate it. If not, I understand 100%.

imageimage
MoireanDraimanSetneHadoryuAryanneAarbrok

Comments

• edited August 2013
    Updates:
    - I currently have the names of 3 students (2 brothers and a sister) who will be the first on my list. They are going into K5, 4th grade, and 5th grade at a local elementary school. School fees alone (not including supplies) comes to $35. 

- Was asked today (8/2/13) to sponsor 2 more kids. They are two little girls going into K5 and 4th grade. They are cousins to the 3 siblings that I'm WE are already sponsoring.

- I've found 100ct filler paper for $0.67 at OfficeMax. (Buy 2, get 1 free) and with $50+ it's free shipping.

- And if I wait until Saturday to place that OfficeMax order, the tax-free Alabama weekend applies to my order! Check here to see if your state has a tax-free weekend.

~~~ If anyone knows of any good deals online or in stores (like OfficeMax, Staples, etc) feel free to share here! I know I'm not the only one doing shopping as school gets closer! ~~~

imageimage
  • KerrynKerryn The Black Flagon Inn
    Donated! Good luck, hope the kids get the supplies they need.

HaydynPiperDemarcusXenia
  • DemarcusDemarcus Black Flagon Inn
    Man. I had some money squirreled away for something super-selfish and then I clicked here. :-D

Good luck, those supplies are expensive!
    HaydynXeniaInfin
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    See about Costco or BJ's as well - see if anyone you know has membership, if you don't (or try getting folk to pool for membership and doing group runs, we did that in college). 
    Haydyn
  • @Demarcus: You're amazing! I can't tell you how much it means to me (and how much it'll mean to them)!!!
    @Areka: I think Sam's Club is the Costco's of the South. My mom has a membership and I'll probably hit there sometime this weekend if I can't get what I need at WalMart.

They usually run deals on the basic stuff for like $0.01 so I'm really hyped.

Note: OMG... I freaking love you guys. The lady that is coordinating all of this called me today and asked if there was anyway I thought I could sponsor 2 more kids (cousins of the 3 siblings I'm already doing). I didn't know how I was gonna swing it, but I'm not about to let some kids suffer because of something that they can't help. Not even 2 hours after she called, I had a random friend contact me because he heard through the grapevine about me prepping for my midnight Wal-Mart run for supplies. He donated $85 and had me in tears.

I love y'all so freaking much and cannot express to you how much I love these kids and how much it means to me that you're all helping me make their lives just a little bit easier.
    imageimage
  • edited August 2013
    Just got home from Wal-Mart midnight shopping.

Had to order a few things from Amazon because they were cheaper especially since I have free shipping. 

With everything that I bought, we've sponsored 5 kids and the total came to roughly $200.45 sooooo I'd say it was a success. With the fees, which I'll go pay at the school Monday, the total will be about $275! I will have pictures forthcoming. 

I'm too tired to attempt tonight. 

Huge thank you to @Orisae, @Kerryn, @Areka, and @Demarcus for helping me support these kids!!

** Some things were cheaper to buy in bulk (paper and 3 prong folders), so in addition to the 5 kids we fully sponsored I'll be donating the extras to some of the other people that are helping sponsor kids too. **

Again, a million thank you's to those that helped and to those that simply offered words of encouragement privately. You guys will never cease to amaze and astound me.

imageimage
    SessizlikSetnePiperDemarcusAryanne
  • edited August 2013
    Album!
    More coming as I get stuff together. Will just update the album.

@Orisae @Kerryn @Demarcus @Areka (I did promise!)
    imageimage
    KerrynPiperSessizlikTeani
  • PiperPiper Master Crumbs
    Oh my god, I want that cookie monster backpack for myself!
    Haydyn
  • Isn't it ADORABLE?! My little Zack is gonna go bonkers for it. He looooves cookie monster! I saw it and was like (at midnight, mind you) "OMG YES. THIS. I MUST HAVE IT."

-- I may have been a little loopy on energy drinks when I went shopping. --
    imageimage
  • Special thank you out to @Aren for another donation. All of you guys are amazing. My mom is in awe every time I tell her that someone else donated. She's a bit awestruck that people I "just play a game with" are helping out with this. 
    imageimage
    S'because we're more than just 'people that you play a game with'. We're a small, close-knit community.. no matter how much we bicker.
    HaydynAldricAryanneTeani
  • Just wanted to share with y'all:

We've been collecting gently used uniforms for the last few months and some older ladies in our neighborhood have been working magic on them. Hemming, sewing new buttons, etc. Basically making them like new. 

Some people have donated new uniforms. And yet more people have donated cash.

In the end, we've got 12 kids that will have 3 sets of uniforms each. This includes: shirts, undershirts, pants, socks, a new pair of school shoes, a uniform belt, and a jacket.

One mom of 3 came to pick up her kids' uniforms today and sat in the office and cried because she was so thankful. Her husband recently died and he was always the one that worked. She's been struggling to get by, but she's extremely dedicated and she's a wonderful mother. 

So I want to personally thank you all (again) for helping me help these kids. And @Piper is so so so right. We're a little dysfunctional family and we stick together even when we're at each other's throats.

Love you guys!! <3
    imageimage
    AryanneSessizlik
  • AarbrokAarbrok Breaking things...For Science San Diego, CA
    Aww yay, I love it.  Keep up the awesome work Haydyn!
  • Okay guys. Finished album: http://imgur.com/a/7iAnb

The kids' reactions are on the images close to the bottom.

I want to thank you all again for helping. Whether it was with money or encouragement. All of the kids know that I had massive help from you guys. I presented all five: "Me and a group of my friends got you something to kick start your school year."

One girl hugged me tight and explained that it wasn't just for me. It was for the rest of you too. So consider yourselves hugged.

Several of the adults that help feed the kids found out about the success that we had in donations and were amazed at the amount of help I received in such a short amount of time. 

(BTW, @Aarbrok, I *STILL* don't like posting after you. I'm considering hiding all of my signatures just so I don't have to see that one.)

Oh and we totally had a carb fest with the kids tonight. Grilled cheese sandwiches and mashed potatoes and sweet tea.

imageimage
    KerrynPiperAldricSessizlikHaven
    OK! I totally would have been BAWing at the kids, just letting you know. You're awesome, Hayday, and thank you for being such a positive influence in other people's lives. More then that, thank you for letting others help you with that goal.
  • SessizlikSessizlik Muffin Mage
    You have such a golden heart. If I had the possibility to help, I would in a heartbeat. What you do is Amazing, helping those who really need it, without expecting anything back, is such good karma. Sending all my love your way today! And a big hug to all those who helped as well, you are wonderful. You all give me hope for mankind.
  • You are so unbelievably amazing Haydyn. What you've been able to do for these kids is something that no words can honestly describe. So proud to know you, and what you do to help others and the world around you. You truly are a precious treasure. Muchlove to momabear and to those who helped her out, you're all such amazing people! 
    Aryanne
  • You are an amazing person.
    Kerryn
  • You guys keep saying I'm amazing and I appreciate it that you think so... but let me be clear:

I couldn't have done this without help from y'all.

So there's just as much amazingness all over each and every one of y'all!! 

imageimage
  • SessizlikSessizlik Muffin Mage
    You have a Point. However, those who helped wouldn't have had the opportunity to be this awesome if it wasn't for your awesomeness to begin with, right? :D
  • MarienaMariena By a lake.
    Please make sure you post next year for the beginning of school or throughout the year for field trips and stuff! I know I couldn't help this round, but would love to in the future. You absolutely rock

SessizlikDemarcusPeriluna
    Thanks for sharing the pics Haydayums! Love the reaction to the Cookie Monster backpack. Bwahahaha!
    Haydyn
  • Alright guys. Not sure if any of y'all are keeping your eyes over here or not, but I just wanted to let you know that school started this past Monday and I saw all the kids tonight. They all had positive reactions about their first 3 days at school, the two 4th grade girls even made it a point to mention that their neon-colored pencils were the brightest ones in their class pencil cup. (I think every kid "donates" one pencil in a cup at the front of the room so if anyone is ever pencil-less they can borrow from that.) 

Cameron (5th grade boy) even talked a little more than he normally does (to me) and said that I was right, 5th grade wasn't really all that much different than 4th. He'd been worried that it would be super-duper hard and was kinda nervous about starting. 

imageimage
    DemarcusSessizlikJasline
    Thanks for the update Hayday!
    Haydyn