Suggestion: prisons

2»

Comments

• JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    I'm really not understanding the opposition when you could write a trigger to begin necrosis when the prison line fires. It's a game where your experience is based on the creativity you put into it, if you choose to ignore aspects of it then you are free to do so, and I really think some fun and interesting things could come of it
    Piper
  • EleanorEleanor FOR SCIENCE
    Actually, I kind of like the idea of providing some interest for both sides of the conflict. I'm sure Daskalos gets as bored running in to bop our guards as we do with listening to them shout about it. Just isn't worth engaging, but maybe it'd be more fun for Dask and more entertaining for Spinesreach if he got a dungeon crawl and Spinesreach didn't have to deal with the tedium of replacing guards.

JensenPiperLinMoirean
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    Suddenly love this idea.
  • I wonder if this has potential as a way to open up the possibilities of raiding than to make it harder to do. Yes, I realize this is a flight of fancy, but, oh well...

If there's some mechanic other than dying to a guard, the repercussions of which take time to work through, then the raiding team gets split up for longer periods than if they were to just die. If done correctly, that means guards can be made weaker and killable and other defense mechanics can be bought into play. That means raiders can spend more time moving through the city from engagement to engagement, rather than camping one location and trying to kill off guards and defenders. 

Imagine, for a second, that stationary guards become far weaker, but in exchange, citizens (aides?) can order additional squads of guards to strike against a specific target in the city. In addition, portcullises  and bridges and balistae and whatever else are set up in strategic locations, and work to trap or attack raiders. Defenders can come in as a player group, or a group backed by guards, and drive the attackers around, who, as raiders, have to learn to run a hit-and-run when they fight (due to the guard backing), rather than just camping and stamping.

Anyone killed during this stage is dragged off and arrested, prolonging the engagement.

In the mean time, raiders are attempting to damage the city (Teradrim smash walls, Sciomancers blow things up, Carnifex kidnap children) and kill defenders, but they've only got a set amount of time before the city rallies and brings out its troops. Time runs down, and squads of heavily armed warriors and powerful mages appear, which they can't stand against, so they retreat.
    PiperMoireanJensenAngwe
  • This just looks like something that'd be more annoying than anything else.  While it sounds cool, death is annoying because it forces you to go on a 2 minute break or whatever.  If I have to spend 5 minutes to get back out and play again, that's annoying every time after the first.  If it takes longer than that, even less fun. Plus it wouldn't make all that much sense to be able to escape IMO. The BL prisons for instance are a bunch of locked rooms, and there'd only be one person in each room (why the hell would you put more in than that, especially PCs), all the rest would be executed as the prison filled up.  You'd be left to rot.  I don't see why BL would even begin to do anything else, or any other city for that matter other than annoy players.

While the idea sounds cool, it doesn't make any sense to me why cities would keep very dangerous people around with just lowly npcs to watch them. I know that there are very few npcs that even threaten me and most pkers don't threaten me all that much on their own, so it doesn't make sense to me why this would be done in the first place.

BTW, it's like one command to reset all the guards in the city now. So replacing guards takes a walk to the barracks.
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    I'd rather see this idea be like an event of sorts than anything else. Not a common feature but perhaps a mini-event that gets raised from time to time. An example would perhaps be the people of Delve and their prison or maybe it's a tribe of warriors like the Anquiet Let people or however the name is spelt.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
  • Actually, now all I can see are mini-events, using some of the suggested mechanics, based on the Azaths from the Malazan series. Hint hint, @Haern.
    HavenMacian
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    Atrapoema said:
    Actually, now all I can see are mini-events, using some of the suggested mechanics, based on the Azaths from the Malazan series. Hint hint, @Haern.

YES.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
  • Maybe it could be a config? I'd really enjoy this idea, and don't consider it tedious at all - but I can understand why some would.

If you config it off, you die normal and go through the death sequence.
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    That'd be really weird to explain in-character.

"You killed him? I thought you were taking prisoners?"

"Well, you know, he just... uh..."
    Aldric
  • Lin said:
    That'd be really weird to explain in-character.

"You killed him? I thought you were taking prisoners?"

"Well, you know, he just... uh..."
    Been there. Done that. (Damn you, bashing triggers)
    Atrapoema said:
    Actually, now all I can see are mini-events, using some of the suggested mechanics, based on the Azaths from the Malazan series. Hint hint, @Haern.

Currently on the 7th or 8th book of this series. Absolutely YES to this.
    LinAtrapoemaArbre
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    I like the idea of the mini event, in that way each experience could be dynamic, unique, and interesting.

I don't like a config setting for prisons but along that idea maybe a % chance of being carted off to jail in place of death.

If BL's lore means they just execute their prisoners than why does it even have a prison?
  • SetneSetne The Grand Tyrant
    Jensen said:
    If BL's lore means they just execute their prisoners than why does it even have a prison?
    Roleplay

Ingram said:
    "Oh my arms are suddenly lubed"
  • Setne said:
    Jensen said:
    Roleplay
    Weeeeelcome to the dungeon, we got whips n chains,
    We got everything you want honey, Big Daddy is my name.

Alistaire