Post Your Pictures!

Comments

• edited July 2013
    Alright, I'll bite and put up a picture. It's a tad old and not the best quality either. :P

Then I remember I have a more recent photo a couple minutes later!

MoireanAryannePerilunaPiperXenia
  • SetneSetne The Grand Tyrant
    Now I know who you are! /plots

Ingram said:
    "Oh my arms are suddenly lubed"
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    edited August 2013

SetneHavenPiperRiluoAryanneXenia
    Moirean plots how to break the real world.

Ingram said:
  • @Moirean - Cannon Beach right??
    imageimage
    Aryanne
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Yes! You've been there? It's so pretty! All the flowers!
  • I use to work in Cannon Beach. I live in Astoria.
    imageimage

BEHOLD! The Partenon (Nashville, TN)

When I first stepped in I felt so tiny and thought it was picture worthy.

Each of these doors weighs about 7.5 tons. The half-circles underneath aren't just for show - a single person can move them with little effort thanks to how balanced they are against the grooves. There are another set at the back of the Parthenon as well. 

Stabs, chillen

Athena. 

A close-up of Athena's shield. On the reverse side there's a painting of the gods warring with the giants but I couldn't seem to ninja a good picture of it.. 

A friendly high-fiving griffin in the room behind Athena.

I wish I could of gotten pictures of the art gallery or any of the second floor but it was monitored by security. The ones I snook were really bad quality but underneath (on the same floor as the second picture) is a room full of paintings and dioramas from a private collector who wouldn't allow his name to be released until after death.  

"To be awkward or unkempt, to talk or move wrongly is to be a dangerous giant, a destroyer of worlds...any accurately improper move can poke through the thin sleeve of immediate reality." - Erving Goffman

HaydynPiperAryanneMoirean
  • Looks more like griffin wants a fistbump. 

For forever.
    HaydynArenValenaeAryanne
  • Nola said:
    Looks more like griffin wants a fistbump. 

For forever.
    Having read this I realized I missed out on a great photo-op. 

"To be awkward or unkempt, to talk or move wrongly is to be a dangerous giant, a destroyer of worlds...any accurately improper move can poke through the thin sleeve of immediate reality." - Erving Goffman

• TREEBRE HAS LEAVES!

Seriously though, it looks great. Never had the courage to dye my hair.
  • PiperPiper Master Crumbs
    Wooooow! @Arbre, you look freaking fantastic like that, holy crud. :O
    PerilunaAryanne
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    edited August 2013
    It actually looks better IRL than in these pictures, because of lighting.  Purple shirt doesn't really help much either.  But thank you!
    /me sidles up close to Arbre

Ingram said:
  • The green color is interesting. I thought when you said 'dye my hair' it would be something like skunk.

imageimage "Little pig, little pig, let me in, let me in. You look tasty and smell like bacon." *LICKLICKLICK*
  • I'm taking cooking lessons from @Razmael.

Behold, my first-ever attempt at a funnel cake:

Feelings, sensations that you thought were dead. No squealin' remember, that it's all in your head.
    LinMoireanAryanneArbrePiperHaven
  • Looks like the oil was a little too hot. 

Aldric
  • edited August 2013
    Yeaahh.. I had no idea what I was doing. It's definitely something I'd like to try over again though. I'm not exactly sure how long you'd generally want to keep the oil warming for and on what temp. Trial and error for the win?

EDIT: It didn't help either I think that I was trying to do it on the stove instead of in a deep fryer.
    Feelings, sensations that you thought were dead. No squealin' remember, that it's all in your head.
  • MacavityMacavity Chicago, Il
    yeah you cannot control the temp of the oil on a stove as well as you can in a deep fryer!  heh  but some parts still looks good.  =)
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
  • SessizlikSessizlik Muffin Mage
    Aldric said:
    I'm taking cooking lessons from @Razmael.

Behold, my first-ever attempt at a funnel cake:
    Are you sure it's not a Deep fried and burned roadkill, cause I see a leg there... <.< *don't hit me*
  • MacavityMacavity Chicago, Il
    ROFLMAO!!
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
  • edited August 2013
    Aldric said:
    Yeaahh.. I had no idea what I was doing. It's definitely something I'd like to try over again though. I'm not exactly sure how long you'd generally want to keep the oil warming for and on what temp. Trial and error for the win?

EDIT: It didn't help either I think that I was trying to do it on the stove instead of in a deep fryer.
    I've cooked funnel cakes on the stove quite a few times and growing up my mother did as well so its not a fault of the equipment. While it's true that deepfryers are the surest way, they aren't the only way. You want to put the oil on medium heat only or you'll burn the oil and that sucks.The rule of thumb is to test the oil after about five minutes or so. Get a spoon and dip it into the batter. Drop a very small amount (not even a spoonful) into the middle of the pan and see how it cooks. If it just sinks and doesn't cook at all the oil is too cold and you need to give it more time to heat up, if it blackens right away the oil is too hot and you may need to change the oil. Don't cook a funnel cake in burnt oil because the taste won't be ideal. 

I don't know if you've been using a recipe or not but here's the one I've used a few times: 

• I make funnel cakes sometimes for a quick buck. I know a guy. know what is better? Deep fried Oreo. Cover the cookie in funnel cake batter then drop it into the oil, let it cook, then nom as soon as possible

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

Jasline
  • Aldric said:
    I'm taking cooking lessons from @Razmael.
    Well, you didn't start a fire or run to IRC for guidance. You're doing well.
    XeniaValenaeHaven
  • You can absolutely fry things without a deep fryer. There's a number of ways to judge the temp, and you can pick up a relatively inexpensive temp gauge if you want to be super accurate. Usually the non-digital ones are around $10, and the digital ones are closer to $30. 

Having the right oil temp is pretty much vital for deep frying, if you don't the food is going to burn on the outside and be undercooked inside or be greasy and nasty. Adding food to the oil alters the temp, too. So between batches you want to bring it back to the right temp before adding more.

I've used a few different ways to judge oil temp. A few of them are just, 'I've done this a lot, and that reaction is what I want,' so they aren't great as suggestions, but dropping a popcorn kernel in works pretty well. It'll pop between 350-365 degrees. A wooden spoon handle or wood chopstick will cause the oil to bubble when the oil is hot enough for frying, if it's bubbling really hard, it's too hot. 
    imageimage
  • IosyneIosyne the Lair
    Piggy-backing off of Valenae's post, there can be entire thesis papers written on working with oil alone. Different oils have different burn points, which means you have different oils and different temperatures to contend with. It's definitely more science than art in that area, at least. 
    MinaraelValenaeInfin