Mount Killing

ArbreArbre Arbrelina JolieBraavos
This discussion was created from comments split from: Ankyrean Anguish - Aetolia-based RAGE.

Comments

• A donkey, your loyal companion, has been slain by Jeromy.
    (On Kog)

Are we doing this again? I missed a memo somewhere.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

• AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    edited May 2013
    Keep playing a Duiran character, you get used to it.

Edit: Extra points if you ask why and you're told it's because 'you guys' (Daskalos) killed an inactive player's mount two IRL months ago!
  • People on both sides do it. It's stupid no matter who does it.

oh wait, toz is famous

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

you disgust me

Calipso
  • Yeah, I just stopped doing the mount hunting because I forgot how frustrated I was that 20k went down the drain on mounts last month, purely spent on donkies. 
  • EzalorEzalor Emperor D'baen Canada
    edited May 2013
    @Xiuhcoatl, splurging his savings on ass.

EDIT: Alright well thanks filter, that doesn't have quite the same effect I was going for.
    AryannePerilunaIosyneAarde
    It's always the same few people on both sides who do it. I can think of two lighters and four darkside players. Perhaps if we as a community banded together to police that dumb stuff?

Ah, but how would that actually work?
    Atrapoema
  • edited May 2013
    Runed Bits exist for a reason.
    IllikaalAarbrokLuthien
    Runed bits actually disappear on use, so not quite worth it unless you have some super expensive mount you ride around all the time. It still ends up costing you ~12k gold each time your mount dies.

Mount killing is super annoying, guys stahp.
  • Still, they exist to save mounts and there's always the option of stabling your mount as soon as you enter into a fight. You don't need to let your mount die if it's annoying to have it killed. And saying "mount killing is super annoying, guys stahp" is pointless. It'll never stop, and you could substitute nearly anything from Aetolia in the place of mount killing.

"Bounties are super annoying, guys stahp."
    Luthien
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    I have the bit on my 200k leopard. Triggers everywhere to stable it. Took me two or three years before someone killed me and ruined the bit. I know that's what it's there for, but mount killing just seems really, really lame to me; I accepted death for accidentally running into a leyline and getting stuck because of retardation (?), but then someone I don't even know kills my mount. What is the point of that beyond being a unicorn's rear end?
    AngweMephistolesXiuhcoatlValenaeHadoryu
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    Alias pattern: ^(?:qq|quit)$

Script: sendAll("quickdismount", "return mount to wherever", matches[1], false)
    Aarbrok
    I already use that. But some attacks require a mount (Woodlore Charge, Leapslash, ect).

Mount killing is purely something you do to be an asshole. Most PKers are going to get racial leap for the obvious reasons, so that's no excuse (though it's sometimes used).

Every time I dismount, I stable my mount. If I'm dismounted by force, I automatically remount. But if I die while mounted, my mount is still going to be there. This is when my mount usually gets killed, after my side loses at a lesser.

I think the best thing to do is for the playerbase to discourage this tendancy (and it really is just a few people on both sides) somehow. It should be (and is) looked down on ICly and further discouraged OOCly.

I also think that this should be split off into a separate thread, because this is an issue that people obviously care about, and the discussion will likely continue.
    AtrapoemaSetneRivasIllikaalMephistoles
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    I tell my teammates not to kill mounts if I ever see them doing it.
    ArbreMephistoles
  • IllikaalIllikaal Pray Area
    Even before having an immortal mount, I never had a problem with my mount being killed because everytime I dismounted, I automatically sent it back to the stable. There's no point in having it outside the stable unless you're riding it. 
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
    AtrapoemaLin
  • SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    I've had my mule killed out from underneath me three times. Twice it didn't really matter, once it sort of did because then I couldn't charge.

Sentinels are the exception, of course. But even then, I never stayed mounted while I fought. Even as a lycan, leapslash isn't worth it if it means putting the mount at risk. 
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
    Atrapoema
  • Simplest method is to just have the mount shipped back to stable if it dies, rather than disappearing entirely.

You can't fully expect 'Hey guys let's play fair it'd be great!' to work. It would be great, but it's just not feasible. Random people will still create suicide alts to go kill random mounts left out and annoying nonsense like that.

Mount killing doesn't particularly add anything to the game aside from frustration, so code it out of the game. Instead of death, it ships to a stable. Easy.
    MoireanArbreAarde
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    edited May 2013
    I've had people run in and one-shot mounts I was riding, from their crits, saying it is tactical to do that. Or have had mounts killed while I was at the mirror. When I was Sentinel, people would sometimes kill mounts to stop charge, which I guess I can understand - it's when mounts are killed after you are already dead that it seems like people are just trying to be mean, and I really think we should try to aim for good sportsmanship to ensure PK remains a fun activity!
    ArbreAngwe
  • edited May 2013

Sion said:
    Simplest method is to just have the mount shipped back to stable if it dies, rather than disappearing entirely.

You can't fully expect 'Hey guys let's play fair it'd be great!' to work. It would be great, but it's just not feasible. Random people will still create suicide alts to go kill random mounts left out and annoying nonsense like that.

Mount killing doesn't particularly add anything to the game aside from frustration, so code it out of the game. Instead of death, it ships to a stable. Easy.
    Yeah, not gonna happen. Stables are a goldsink, as are the cheap arti rune bits that admin created -just- for when mounts die, or are killed. Plus that'd seriously devalue all the credit mounts that already -are- invincible, y'know?

If there's a legit reason to kill a mount (and there can be), then I say go for it. They're easy to replace, something handy to spend gold on. It's part of the game, it's conflict. It's annoying to have a mount killed, yeah, but so is having a bounty/enemystatus/whatever put on you. Just cause it's annoying doesn't mean it's gonna go away.

Just look at @Illidan. He's still here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

(The Front Line): Daskalos says, "<-- artifacts."

AtrapoemaTeaniLuthien
  • Having an invincible mount means that it will never leave your side and will always be available. I've not looked into PK bonuses for being mounted here, so I can't say if they're a significant boost, but an invincible pet will always have the advantage over one that isn't solely because it'll always be there, and not killed off, or sent back to a stable where you have to go retrieve it were that implemented. That's an advantage. I'd grab a credit mount solely for that if I ever got one.

'It's a goldsink' and 'It's conflict!' are terrible reasonings. There is good and bad conflict, and I sure as hell can't ever think of a time where I'd sit there and go 'You know what would create some awesome PK/conflict scenarios right now? If I bodied this random person's mount. Yeah that'd be fun!'

AtrapoemaTeani
    ...Stables are free...
  • There is rarely a good reason to kill someone's mount. MAYBE if they're mounted and you can't hit them because of avoidance bonus or something. There is no RP to mount killing. There is little/no risk to it. There is no point to it, except to annoy/inconvenience someone else.

oh wait, toz is famous

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

you disgust me

AtrapoemaMoireanCiarelle
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    edited May 2013
    Angwe said:
    ...Stables are free...

Purchasing mounts from them is not, is what they meant.
    Rivas
  • "I am a wolf/bear and your mount was a convenient snack after devouring you for supper", "I did it to demoralize you before you inevitably come back. Now instead of immediately counterattacking me, you'll spend time getting a new mount and/or rethinking your decision to come after me", "I just really hate horses. And you. But mostly horses", "insert any number of RP reasons here".

You don't have to like it, but to say there's no RP to it? Please.
    SionJensenIllikaalCiarelleEmelleMastemaLuthien
    Toz said:
    There is rarely a good reason to kill someone's mount. MAYBE if they're mounted and you can't hit them because of avoidance bonus or something. There is no RP to mount killing. There is little/no risk to it. There is no point to it, except to annoy/inconvenience someone else.
    Actually, being mounted stops swandive from proccing off stupidity and it also allows you to ford if you don't have Zephyr. Has uses!

Still think mountkilling is lame but there are PvP benefits to doing it too. Just 99.9% of the time a mount is killed, it's not actually for aforementioned PvP reasons.
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    I never liked mount killing and never will.

But I can see how it could be a valid course of action. To say/infer that the only possible/"good" reason people kill mounts is due to some kind of OOC malice is a bit ridiculous in my opinion even if it may be true in some cases.

Regardless, if someone kills your mount, I'm about 99% positive that you've just earned PK cause on them even if it occurred in the Hunting Grounds or Lesser or something. A solid compromise though would be to add a new skill in Horsemanship that'll auto-stable or bring your mount to you if it drops to or below a certain % of health. It'll help for when you're bashing Three Rock too >_>. This will bring mounts in line with various entities like old Knight Falcons, Warhounds and other creatures.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    Amelas
  • Find me one instance of RP-based mountkilling that occurred in the last 3 months and I might listen to you. It's a horse. They're seriously just going to buy a new one, it doesn't discourage anything. If I was really all that ruffled by it, the post I put in the thread would have been longer than 3 lines - he cost me 5k. It's like if you went to Bill Gate's house and kicked over a lawn gnome or something...you didn't really cost him much, but you're still being a prick.

oh wait, toz is famous

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

you disgust me

SetneAtrapoemaArbreValenae
  • DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.
    I killed Calipso's mount while she was riding it so she couldn't leap past my icewalls into Spinesreach. And then I murdered her. Just sayin'

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

Clearly someone hasn't watched Django. 
    Lin
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    Illidan said:

Clearly someone hasn't watched Django. 

I like the way you die boy.

¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    LinIllikaalDaskalosRivasKerrynMastema