What's this guild about?

Lunp, a young grook scholar joins the Indorani seeking knowledge of the secret arts of Necromancy. Instead she finds, uh....

[spoiler]
Certimene says, "Greetings, Lunp! I would be glad to help you join a guild if you like. Simply type ASK CERTIMENE JOIN <guild>."

Your active class has been switched to Indorani.
Certimene says, "Congratulations, Lunp! You are now a Novice of the Indorani. Please read 'help novices' to learn more about being a novice in a guild."

Dehaka Lunp (female Grook)
You have achieved level 1 (Neophyte)
You are 0% of the way to the next level.
Health: 334/334  Mana: 355/355
Endurance: 570/570  Willpower: 675/675
You roam the land without citizenship.
You are a novice in the Indorani class.
You are Initiate of Chaos in the Indorani.
You are a Sightseer (#5169) in the Fellowship of Explorers.
You are 18 years old, having been born on the 5th of Arios, year 372 of the
Midnight Age.

(Dehaken): Yetrent's ghost says, "Darkest tidings, Lunp. Now that you are an
Aspirant of Evil you are well on your way to discover the secrets of the major
arcana, summoning powerful enities from the Chaos Plane, and even manipulating
life essence in order to protect your soul from Death. GHELP GETTING STARTED and
GHELP DEHAKEN will guide you on your voyage into Corruption and assist you in
becoming a true agent of Despair. GNT (message) may be used to communicate on
this channel.

She takes some time to read a few of the scrolls Certimene handed her, but something tugs at the corner of her mind, begging for attention...

(Dehaken): Zatasesiel says, "Welcome to the Indorani, Lunp. Please take a moment to read over GHELP GETTING STARTED, GHELP NEWBIES, and GHELP DEHAKEN. Any questions you have can be asked here using GNT."

Something quite important. All of them are dripping with devotion to... something. But the practical question of what is not answered.

(Dehaken): Menelaus says, "Welcome."

(Dehaken): You say, "Welcome!"

(Dehaken): You say, "A question."

(Dehaken): You say, "What is... the point of all this? Evil for evil's sake?"

At this point, a heavy, echoing silence echoes through the mindlink.

(Dehaken): Menelaus says, "Why did you join, just to ask such a silly question?"

The girl grows nervous, and that rapier tongue which has landed her in trouble so many times before leaps into action before her mind reigns it in.

(Dehaken): You say, "I joined to learn the arts and sciences of manipulating life energy from a reputable coven. I arrive to find what... appears to be much posing and pageantry without much study involved."

Now she's done it. She braces herself for the heavy knowledge which is sure to be headed her way...

(Dehaken): Menelaus says, "Yeah, well considering your age, you know nothing about any thing, and to claim other wise is utter insanity."

Well, that's a bit insulting. Her nerves pinging, she soldiers on.

Dehaken): You say, "And I ask why, that I may decide whether to bite my tongue and submit myself to your approval, or seek elsewhere."

(Dehaken): Menelaus says, "Do what you must do, but know you sound like an ass."

This is quickly going downhill.

(Dehaken): You say, "Insanity? The Cabal of Spinesreach is known far and wide, sir."

(Dehaken): You say, "As is the dark cult of the Indorani."

(Dehaken): Zatasesiel says, "We are not the Cabal of Spinesreach, child."

(Dehaken): You say, "Aye. This was more... geographically sound."

After all, why travel all the way to the tundra and Spinesreach?

(Dehaken): Menelaus says, "For just arriving off the isle and skipping the chance to do many things, and speaking about things you don't really know or understand quite yet.

The swamp she grew up in does indeed have many small 'islands', but her family hardly let her travel to Great Bloodloch ignorant of the wider world.

(Dehaken): Menelaus says, "Arrogance is fine if you can back it up, but so far you cannot."

(Dehaken): You say, "I am a Sapient, sir. I have some basic knowledge of the world. Furthermore, my family has served the great Houses of Bloodloch for generations as living servants."

That is... until recently, with the return of the Primus.

(Dehaken): You say, "I am the first to aspire to rise above."

(Dehaken): Menelaus says, "That makes little to no sense, to me, considering Bloodloch's stance on living."

What an obtuse little man.

(Dehaken): You say, "We are only servants, sir."

(Dehaken): Zatasesiel says, "You are doing a very poor job of it thus far. So far I have seen you be rude, and disrespectful to those you wish to have teach you."

(Dehaken): Menelaus says, "They don't even want living servants."

(Dehaken): Menelaus says, "But if you want to serve Bloodloch that is fine, but you don't need to be Undead or of Bloodloch to be here."

The would-be scholar closes her eyes and takes a deep, bracing breath. This has gotten out of control and far afield of her original query. She begins to suspect that these men don't know how to answer her question, and this is the true source of their frustration. This possibility is... alarming, to say the least.

(Dehaken): You say, "I do not mean to be disrespectful. I meant only to find out what the point of all this was, besides evil for evil's sake."

(Dehaken): Menelaus says, "Uhm, what are you even talking about?"

Spinesreach isn't but SO far, really.

(Dehaken): You say, "...Right. I think I may have found myself in the wrong guild."

(Dehaken): You say, "Excuse me."

(Dehaken): Zatasesiel says, "It seems you have."

(Dehaken): Menelaus says, "Good riddance to bad rubbish I say."
You are still in your guild novicehood, and will lose all your guild skills if
you quit the guild. You will, however, get back approximately the same number of
lessons you put into them. If you are certain you wish to do this, then type
AGREE.

You have gained 0 lessons as a result of losing the Indorani class.
Heaving a sigh of resignation, you leave the Indorani.

[/spoiler]
AlistairePerilunaAngweOrisaeKiyotanMilvushinaLinArekaYusriAxai

Comments

• SeirSeir Seein' All the Things Getting high off your emotion
    Wow.
    PerilunaBenedictoHavenMenelaus
  • BenedictoBenedicto Tentacles Errywhere!
    It wouldn't even have been half as bad if one of them had just been like, "Yeah. I just get off punching kittens." Instead of the defensive attitude they both took because they didn't know how to answer the question.
    HavenMenelausAxaiNatasya
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    Based on the log, I'd say they just assumed you were a troll just there to stir trouble/mock them/whatever rather than a new person asking a genuine question about the guild. Going on the log, I'd have to agree with your decision to leave for the Cabal as that better fits what you seem to be going for with your character.

That's the main difference between the Cabal and the Indorani cult as far as I know. One seeks to understand all things and all arts for simply knowledge's sake (the Cabal, although there are some exceptions within the guild I suppose) while the other seeks power and a more heightened state of 'living' by twisting the world and others around them with pain/corruption (the Indorani cult, again I imagine there are exceptions within the guild). They're heavily influenced by Chakrasul's ideals and tenets or at least they were when I last took time to observe the guild which admittedly was a few years ago.

Hope that helps!
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    MoireanMenelausRivas
  • edited May 2013
    A deep log of an alt baiting people who can't explain stuff is amazing. 

Doesn't change the fact that Mene acting like a bag of unicorns isn't exactly uncommon and perhaps someone should tell him to stop that stuff. 

Edit: That said, if you are a true newbie.  Ignore Mene, he's largely irrelevant to everyday Aetolia.  Most of the playerbase is pretty awesome. 
    ArekaRhoAmaraMenelausLunaAxai
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    edited May 2013
    I honestly feel bad for the Indorani. If someone who is clearly an alt joined the Carnifex and immediately started telling us we're doing it wrong based on our GHELPs and 2 lines over GNT, I'd be pissed off too. I'd probably have stuffed the kid in the stocks.

Edit: To clarify, it's really uncool to troll guilds like that, as it tires us out and makes it harder to actually help REAL newbies.
    PhoeneciaLinMilvushinaRhoMenelausRivasMephistolesMarharet
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    Someone tried that with the Syssin when we were turning it into the Syndicate. It ended up with 10+ Syssin online telling them they're wrong and that the guild rocked.
  • On the one hand, whoever alted did it solely to get up the Indorani.

On the other, Menelaus needs to be barred from interacting with newbies and the Indorani need to know their own basic lore.
    OrisaeLinKiyotanAmaraMenelausLunaXavinAxaiMarharet
  • edited May 2013
    Never a good approach to barge ahead. Much better to ask nicely and give people a chance to speak up. Here's an example of how that was handled. 

Edit: And sorry if it looks cramped, I couldn't get spoilers to work. Am a noob. <.<

(Dehaken): You say, "Is there some type of information about decrees, dogmas and such things somewhere?"
    (Dehaken): You say, "And rules of some kind?"
    (Dehaken): Menelaus says, "HELP LAWS INDORANI is a start."
    -----
    In HELP LAWS INDORANI: I. Loyalty.
    Furthering the purpose of the Indorani is of paramount priority. ...
    -----
    (Dehaken): You say, "It's quite a lot to read, so I haven't gone through it all. However, the first paragraph of the laws mention furthering the purpose. I think that's what I was looking for when asking about decrees. Maybe I was unclear when asking. Sorry about that."
    >> no response. Alright, I go find my way around the world instead. I get some response to what I say here and there, so I know people are listening. After finishing the guild's newbie introduction, I go back to asking again.
    (Dehaken): You say, "So, I've learned some history, but I still have an unanswered question about that law thing. The purpose. Is there something to read on that too?"
    (Dehaken): Tina says, "You'll need to be a little more descriptive than that law thing."
    (Dehaken): You say, "Sorry, I talked about it earlier and got no response. I'm talking about the first paragraph."
    (Dehaken):: You say, "It says "Furthering the purpose of the Indorani is of paramount priority.""
    (Dehaken): You say, "I wanted to know where I could read about the purpose."
    (Dehaken): Tina says, "The purpose of the Indorani varies from person to person, as their understanding of what it is to be an Indorani."
    (Dehaken): Tina says, "Priests of despair, children of the dark mother. Warlords to conquer the world once again, scholars uncovering new and ancient dark arts, inheritors of the will of Abbadon."
    (Dehaken): You say, "So holding to any of this, doesn't matter which, means I hold to the law?"
    (Dehaken): Tina says, "The purpose of the Indorani is vast. It is more of a saying of loyalty, don't work against the guild, and don't be stagnant."
    (Dehaken): Tina says, "Yes, you have much free reign in your actions. The ends justify the means is a very true facsimile in the Indorani way of life."
    (Dehaken): You say, "Alright, good to know."
    (Dehaken): Tina says, "The guild laws stat what is important to us, following them should give you basic guidelines on if your purpose is in line with the guild's goals or not."
    Lin
  • KiyotanKiyotan spectacular vernacular Summit of the Falconmount
    That also just happened today. Why is the Indorani guild suddenly under scrutiny? Put down the cross, jeez.
    Some may say we've lost our way, but I believe we've not gone far enough.
    MenelausMarharet
  • Am I an alt? Yes. Was I 'out to get' the Indorani? No. I rolled an alt to test a question I had about the necromancy skillset, and figured I'd try finding out something about the Indo in the meantime. I've wondered what their lore was before, and asked a few people on my main with differing degrees of failure. So, I tried it out from the inside.

My reactions may not have been the best to foster a discussion, but they were purely honest. There's no trolling going on there, just bad reactions from one PC to another and me growing frustrated and quitting the guild to go alt elsewhere.
  • If it's your sincere expectation to be spoonfed the guild lore within twenty seconds of joining, you're going to be disappointed with the vast majority of guilds.
    HavenLinRivasMarharet
  • AlistaireAlistaire Las Vegas, Nevada
    Yeah, how dare you ask questions bout the guild on gnt! That isn't what the channel is fo-...oh, wait. Yes, it is.

If you were trolling? Bad. Stop it.
    If not? Well, tough luck. Try the Cabalists, they look like they'll be a better fit.

Also, their theme isn't "Mwahaha, we serve Sarta-...I mean, Chakrasul and we're evil."
    Axai
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    I totally spoonfeed my newbies the guild's lore ASAP. Keeps them from becoming elder players who don't know the guild's lore. (Plus Ang is totally Mister Exposition)
  • KiyotanKiyotan spectacular vernacular Summit of the Falconmount
    Angwe said:
    Keeps them from becoming elder players who don't know the guild's lore. 
    It's..something to do with lions, ennit?
    Some may say we've lost our way, but I believe we've not gone far enough.
  • edited May 2013
    ASAP is one thing. I try to get to nubs as fast as I can. But you can't declare a guild is crap based on a discussion with a serial tool started by a pretty provocative question.

If this log had featured the player reading the scrolls, asking less overtly aggressive questions, and actually trying to roleplay an explorer without preconceptions, I would be much more impressed with it. As it is, gems like the line about pomp and pageantry reek of someone setting out to discredit a group they don't like. I think it's a pretty reasonable assumption that the Indorani don't have much in the way of science RP, but this log demonstrates less of that and more of Menelaus and an alt being unpleasant to each other.

Final note: You don't swear at newbies or call them idiots. You just don't. That alone would be enough for my opinion of Menelaus to have fallen.
    KiyotanRhoAislingMoireanArekaMenelausHadoryu
  • AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    edited May 2013
    I joined the Indorani guild some time ago. So far, it looks like it has tons of awesome RP potential, although it doesn't seem to be as coherent as some of the other guilds I've been in (i.e the Paladins under Hadoryu's leadership). I guess it doesn't help that I've largely been busy with bashing/order/city-stuff.

Anyway, Indorani Roleplay from Alexina's perspective (I guess some are more interesting on an OOC level than something to actually pursue in game):
    • Accumulation of power:
      • Harness the untapped potential of the Chaos Plane.
      • Bargain with demon lords for boons and favours.
      • Search for powerful rituals for various benefits (or just create them).
      • Find out more about the origin, purpose, and use of the Tarot cards.
    • Indoron - Despair and other things Evil:
      • What does Despair truly mean? The abstinence of hope? Are there degrees of Despair or is it a singular state? Or is it all just a fancy word with no true meaning behind? So many interesting theoretical questions to be posed.
      • What is the guild's history with (or connection to) Lady Chakrasul and Curruption?
      • Did Desian truly invent caramel-filled chocolate bars? How did he get the caramel inside the chocolate? Was it dark, forbidden magic? A demonic compact? Or just ingenious pastry-making?
      • How does Despair work in practice? Few of the members seem to actually spend their time bringing doom and destruction to other people or the world. What makes the Indorani distinctive from other organizations?
      • What is the guild's collective role in the world? What is their collective role in Bloodloch? Do they even have a role to fulfill?

So far, I like what I've seen in the Indorani. It's less about fiddling with the world in order to understand it and more about diving right into the middle of thing and wrestle as much power as you possibly can into your hands. The guild aligns very well with both Ve'kahi and Iosyne, although Alexina has a more pragmatic view on morals: Despair sounds sort of ambitious and high-reaching and is not really something that has a clear, definite meaning. She would not willingly subject people to Despair as she understands it because it would either break them or make them stronger, neither which seems like a very useful thing to do. Imagine your fiercest enemy having experienced despair and overcome it? That would not be very amusing at all. She is certain she does not fully understand the concept yet but she is eager to learn.

/end forum RP.

Basically, and this is directed at the original poster, if you don't get the answer you want immediately, try waiting around and talk to other people. Be respectful about it. Showing a genuine interest/excitement in a guild will make people be a lot more interested in helping you out, even if things doesn't make much sense to you at first. This -is- a fantasy setting that is highly polarized and 'Evil for the sake of Evil' will appeal to certain people, but that's not the feeling I've been getting from the guild at all. It's more about abandoning the inhibitions of one's conscience in order to reach into the darkest recesses of Sapience and squeeze out some of that delicious power. What you do with that power, on the other hand, is entirely up to you. I'm still new so I might have gotten everything wrong, but I am pretty excited about having joined the guild.

MenelausHadoryu
  • edited May 2013
    I just thought she was trolling, and I over-reacted, I am sorry. I didn't mean to be a douche-bag. But also I dislike when 18 year olds pop up acting like they are 300 years old. She also litterally asked that question almost straight after SKIPPING the tutorial, and I dont think she even had time to read the scrolls, I think she read them as a different char, which is a slight form of Meta-gaming. I think it is bad form and bad RP to do stuff like this... Also at the time I was really busy as Tina was making me do math for Spinesreach and lately Indorani has gotten TONS Of novices in a row, and I am mentoring many of them. I don't mind if people hate on me, but I wish they would at least get to know me for real. I am often very busy and doing many things, while most people waste their time gossiping like hens. I only came here because Alexina practically begged me to... I usually dislike the forums or as I call it Troll city. But I did know the answer and didn't feel like dealing with what I thought was a troll. And yeah it is basically about Evil for gaining Power, not the sake of evil. That was projected onto us from the novice. It doesn't mention evil in Help Indorani, albeit evil is in the word Reviled... The power we gain is for the purpose of supporting the Guild, and spreading our tenets. ALSO Tina wrote a book about 'Evil' and it was considered too subjective and was rejected, so I thought for sure that was a troll. But in the long run Evil is not Indorani. We follow the five tenets and more importantly Chaos. But we are beholden to each other as a Priesthood. I know I come off as stupid or mean or -insert insult here- a lot, but the truth is many of you don't know me whatsoever and have no clue what I do or how I do it, and you just assume, and you make an ass out of you and me when you do so. You should actually try to get to know me before making judgements, either IC -or- OOC, it is just common decency.. but nope I am just scumbag Mene -.-  P.S. I am friendly as all get out to REAL novices. I can spot them a mile away compared to alt-whores and trolls. It doesn't take much to spot the difference. I was told by several NON Indorani people Lunp is rude and impatient and has a genral bad attitude, after that too. Uhm that sums that up, let the flaming commence.
    Kiyotan
  • Unasca said:
    Never a good approach to barge ahead. Much better to ask nicely and give people a chance to speak up. Here's an example of how that was handled. 

Edit: And sorry if it looks cramped, I couldn't get spoilers to work. Am a noob. <.<

(Dehaken): You say, "Is there some type of information about decrees, dogmas and such things somewhere?"
    (Dehaken): You say, "And rules of some kind?"
    (Dehaken): Menelaus says, "HELP LAWS INDORANI is a start."
    -----
    In HELP LAWS INDORANI: I. Loyalty.
    Furthering the purpose of the Indorani is of paramount priority. ...
    -----
    (Dehaken): You say, "It's quite a lot to read, so I haven't gone through it all. However, the first paragraph of the laws mention furthering the purpose. I think that's what I was looking for when asking about decrees. Maybe I was unclear when asking. Sorry about that."
    >> no response. Alright, I go find my way around the world instead. I get some response to what I say here and there, so I know people are listening. After finishing the guild's newbie introduction, I go back to asking again.
    (Dehaken): You say, "So, I've learned some history, but I still have an unanswered question about that law thing. The purpose. Is there something to read on that too?"
    (Dehaken): Tina says, "You'll need to be a little more descriptive than that law thing."
    (Dehaken): You say, "Sorry, I talked about it earlier and got no response. I'm talking about the first paragraph."
    (Dehaken):: You say, "It says "Furthering the purpose of the Indorani is of paramount priority.""
    (Dehaken): You say, "I wanted to know where I could read about the purpose."
    (Dehaken): Tina says, "The purpose of the Indorani varies from person to person, as their understanding of what it is to be an Indorani."
    (Dehaken): Tina says, "Priests of despair, children of the dark mother. Warlords to conquer the world once again, scholars uncovering new and ancient dark arts, inheritors of the will of Abbadon."
    (Dehaken): You say, "So holding to any of this, doesn't matter which, means I hold to the law?"
    (Dehaken): Tina says, "The purpose of the Indorani is vast. It is more of a saying of loyalty, don't work against the guild, and don't be stagnant."
    (Dehaken): Tina says, "Yes, you have much free reign in your actions. The ends justify the means is a very true facsimile in the Indorani way of life."
    (Dehaken): You say, "Alright, good to know."
    (Dehaken): Tina says, "The guild laws stat what is important to us, following them should give you basic guidelines on if your purpose is in line with the guild's goals or not."
    Sorry about that, I had so much going on at that time.
  • I still think it is wrong of you guys to assume I am sitting around doing nothing but picking on novices and being a douche, when I am out there doing Treasury shit and I have like litterally six proteges right now, including Alexina, Carthenian and Sirena.
  • Hover over your post with the mouse. A little black cog appears in the top right. You can use that to edit your post and avoid posting three times in rapid succession.

Also, you're assuming the posters here aren't aware of how you behave in-game. Believe me, the assertion that you need to pull your head in is not coming from people who're ignorant.

Inb4 flagged as troll.
    Yusri said:
    Hover over your post with the mouse. A little black cog appears in the top right. You can use that to edit your post and avoid posting three times in rapid succession.

Also, you're assuming the posters here aren't aware of how you behave in-game. Believe me, the assertion that you need to pull your head in is not coming from people who're ignorant.

Inb4 flagged as troll.
    RivasEzalor
  • I just wanted to show asking nicely could prompt a different discussion. I'm still a bit vague on things, but I suppose it should take some time to get connected to a guild and know they are about.
    All the other questions I asked were responded to without problem. I got stuck with this noob intro because I didn't greet the head (second time I walked in there, it prompted me to greet it) and went about to speak to the others. It got a bit disorienting, but at least I made it through it!
    YusriMenelaus

• Unasca said:
    I just wanted to show asking nicely could prompt a different discussion. I'm still a bit vague on things, but I suppose it should take some time to get connected to a guild and know they are about.
    All the other questions I asked were responded to without problem. I got stuck with this noob intro because I didn't greet the head (second time I walked in there, it prompted me to greet it) and went about to speak to the others. It got a bit disorienting, but at least I made it through it!
    Sorry I didn't chime in with the commands like I usually do, and I have yet to fully teach Zatasesiel either. I've been very busy with some city drama, and such, also in Mene's personal life it has been a disaster. I don't mean to make excuses, I am not trying to justify my self, just offer some form of explanation for some comments.

-Spencer
  • edited May 2013
    Yusri said:
    Hover over your post with the mouse. A little black cog appears in the top right. You can use that to edit your post and avoid posting three times in rapid succession.

"Attached" Spoilers.

EDIT: How do you do the SPOILER thing?
  • [spoiler]
    Yusri is a lady - ya know, with lady bits and everything.
    [/spoiler]
    Menelaus
  • My mistake then -.-
    Ooookay, I need to step in, we're breaking out the different font faces and whatnot.

Discussion of whether Yusri and Menelaus are or are not, in fact, big ol' turds, doesn't need to be in this thread.

Yusri is though
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    I can't manage mod yellow on my Kindle but STOP MAKING PERSONAL ATTACKS BEFORE THE THREAD GETS CLOSED. Thank you.
  • Calm down Kindlebre.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

(The Front Line): Daskalos says, "<-- artifacts."

Haydyn