questions about classes

Hey guys I'm new so please forgive any questions that seem stupid. I have been reading everything here for the last couple weeks trying to figure out what class to pick. I really like lycanthropes but from what I've read it seems that they are difficult to play because of no armor. Could someone please let me know a good class for a complete beginner? Or maybe outline some strengths and weaknesses of some classes. I heard vampires are the tankiest is that true?

Comments

• Praenomen are pretty tanky because of Sanguis. Minion + Affinity rocks my socks.

But go with whatever you feel would be the most awesome to RP IMO. If you don't like that class to play with - multiclass!
    You murmur to Niuri, "By the way, I love the maid outfit."
    Niuri, the Ultraist says, "Severn does like it on Me too, I have heard."
    Niuri, the Ultraist says, "Best keep it before anyone else sees it!"
    Niuri removes a maid outfit.
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    Carnifex have an extremely simple offense (at the moment) that should be fun to a beginner. They work off a mechanic called 'soul' that is stolen from the target when the Carnifex' weapon strikes them. The more soul you have, the faster and harder you'll hit! This opens up the possibility for more advanced techniques later on.
  • EzalorEzalor Emperor D'baen Canada
    What are you looking to get into? RP? Bashing? PK?
  • edited April 2013
    I wouldn't worry about class difficulty too much - it only really matters if you want to get into player-vs-player combat. All classes are viable and not very difficult when it comes to fighting mobs. Just pick a class that sounds interesting and roll with it.

Marharet
  • In terms of tanking IMO:
    Praenomen and Cabalists are among the tankiest just because of their effective health pool.
    Bloodborn, Indorani, and Teradrim seem like they'll follow along them afterward.
    Sciomancer/Ascendril come in after them, not a long distance away. 

Carnifex/Lycanthrope/Syssin come in as the squishest of the group. 

Haven't been living classes in too long to compare them accurately in terms of just physical tanking ability. However, If I was to hazard a guess, nothing touches directly the effective health pool of a praenomen/cabalists. However almost touching it is the monk/luminary class because of aux healing methods. Sentinels would hazard up there around Bloodborn/Indorani because of reductions. Zealot would be around Sciomancer. Then I believe templar would be a bit better defensively than Carnifex. However, I have no audit info on them. I'd just hope they're not also left with just fullplate and no other form of class defense. 
    So the new list would be IMO:
    Praenomen/Cabalists
    Monk/Luminary
    Bloodborn/Indorani/Teradrim/Sentinel
    Sciomancer/Ascendril/Zealot/Templar
    Carnifex/Lycanthrope/Syssin

But as Ilyon has said, all classes are pretty easy to get into. You just need to approach them as you're learning something new. If you go in expecting it to be something it's not, you're always going to have a bad time. 
  • SeirSeir Seein' All the Things Getting high off your emotion
    How are you basing a Templar being as tanky as Carnifex? Templar have barely a better audit than I do as a Lycanthrope, which makes no sense... Monk being high up there makes absolutely no sense considering they have to expend inordinate amounts of kai in order to stay alive. Your list is highly inaccurate, Xiuhcoatl.
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Play what interests you. No class is so underpowered that you'll have a bad gameplay experience because of it.

Pick what side you want to play on - do you want to be evil or dark, and support undeath? Pick a shadow guild. Do you want to support life, either through the light or by supporting nature? Pick a spirit guild.

Pick what appeals to you skill wise. Do you want to attack with your hands - pick a monk or lycan class. Do you want to use weapons and have roleplay around that - pick Carnifex, Sentinel or Templar. Do you want to focus on magic - lots of choices there!

Basically, narrow down what interests you. As a complete beginner, you have nothing to compare things against, so you aren't going to be thinking (like our more jaded, old timers :P) man, this class is weak. Sure, lycans may be a bit squishier than a vampire, if that's what you are used to playing, but for a new player, it's not going to be something that is painfully noticable to the point where you can't play - every class is absolutely viable for a new player.

So, in summary, focus on the fun and what you want to play!
    Haven
  • Cabalist is only god-tier bashing when you have invested enough lessons to get Link. From a newbie's perspective, it's slow, weak and lacking in utility.

I still love the class, but yeah.
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    Ezalor asked, but to expand a bit, what class you pick should be more tailored to what you like to DO in the game. If RP is your main interest, you want to look at what the lore of each guild is and move from there. Moirean also mentioned for combat, what KIND of combat do you enjoy? Limb break/affliction/etc. If you can narrow things down a bit more then we can give you better advice. Additionally, make a character and if you don't like that guild, switch. Everyone knows newbies are still feeling out the game and looking for what they like so they look the other way for guild/city/side hopping.
  • Moirean said:
    Play what interests you. No class is so underpowered that you'll have a bad gameplay experience because of it.

If you're looking to get into combat, I'd say that cabalists are underpowered enough that you might have a bad gameplay experience because of it.

Aside from that, Moirean is right.  You can really do just fine as any class hunting, and you should choose what appeals to you thematically.  Teradrim are a favorite of mine as far as theme goes, and though in the past the skills weren't terribly great, they're generally pretty good now.  One thing you might want to be wary of is that a revamp is coming for both the Sciomancers and the Ascendril.  That doesn't mean you shouldn't choose or play either of those classes, it just means that you should be prepared to have a lot of stuff changed in the near future if you do.
  • Wow! first of all thank you everyone for all the input! So from what I have read on the forums before, it takes quite a bit of money to get into PvP so it looks like I'll stay away from that for right now. I really like werewolves in real life, so I think I'll try an atabahi. I've also read that I will need a system. Does anyone know where I can buy one? Can i bash without one? Would it be alright if I get a hold of some of you in game to help me out especially with how skills work and stuff?
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    For a while you can bash without one, we have FIRSTAID as a survival skill that does some automated curing. Down the road you'll want a full system for a client (Haven's Lilith system for MUSHclient is a good free system for a free client - I'm not sure what else is floating for the others). 

You can certainly ask IG, and your guild, once you enter it, should be able to help as well. Lycanthrope's a solid class, and one that is going to be expanded on in the somewhat-near-future!
    Aryanne
  • EzalorEzalor Emperor D'baen Canada
    Soulreaper is floating around on the forums as well, free for Mudlet.