Undead Monk Guild

yeah ok, i'm pretty new on the scene and I am sure it's probably been spoken about before, but why isn't there a Bloodlochian monk guild, I mean, I'm no expert on Lord Ivoln and his tenets, but the whole strength and purety in undeath seems perfect to apply to a monk guild, and Enorian has the Daru, so why not something for the undead? and surely I can't be the only person who loves the monk class and loves being undead....not that Gwaed wants to return to his previous state anytime soon, was just curious, and curious what everythin elses opinions on this were.

Comments

• SaritaSarita Empress of Bahir'an The Pillars of the Earth
    A couple of reasons.

1. The admin is cutting down the number of guilds to keep the playerbase from being so thinly spread out over them. We're going to see fewer guilds, not more.

2. The monk class (not to be confused with zealot) is neutral. You can hold it regardless of where your character is in the game. It may be a bit harder to get apprenticed, but I'm guessing the accessibility of the class might be on the admin's agenda somewhere. Until then, you can always be apprenticed while living and just retain the class after going undead.
  • yeah I was thinking less about class and skills and more about roleplay, it seems to me like there are some great RP oppertunities for undead monks. 
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    The Teradrim are somewhat of an Ivolnite priesthood, slightly echoing the Shamans for Duiran or Luminaries of Enorian. 
  • aye priesthood, but I dunno, been kinda having this idea of like a Ivolnite Monastery, a more monkish feel to it rather than priestly, as you say, Enorian has the luminary, they also have the Daru, I was thinking something along those lines, but for Ivoln.
  • ok, tell you what, instead of vague ideas of a ivolnite monkhood, i'll give you the exact things I have been thinking, now firstly I don't expect any of this to actually get put into aetolia because I am well aware that we're going to be seeing fewer guilds if anything, but my idea was a monk class with tekura, telepathy and animation. Their beliefs would essentially be that strength and purity can be found only in undeath, didn't really think much past that but as I said before i'm no expert on Ivoln. Their guildhall, the monastery of Ivoln or something like that, would be similar in some ways to the Teradrim guildhall but with a more monastic feel, I dunno, up in the mountains, guarded by earthen. The idea needs some work, but then i don't expect it to ever happen, was just an idea I wanted to share and hear what people thought. I was even wondering if it would be possible to have some of the ideas implemented, maybe not as a guild, but as a clan at least. Theoretically, I could purchase a player house and design it to look how i'm thinking, but would it be possible to have a special entrance to it, like a guildhall, that only members of the clan could use, or everyone could use but only if they knew a password of Ivolnite mantra or something? and, I was wondering, if enough people thought the idea half decent, would there ever be any chance of monks who become undead, or undead who apprentice as monks, to get animation as a third skill, in place of kaido or whatever. So yeah, that's what I want to know, what people think of just an idea? and if some of those things would be possible, if not as a guild then as part of a clan?
  • SeirSeir Seein' All the Things Getting high off your emotion
    edited April 2013
    Some would disagree with you. I think the Sentaari have some established lore saying that Kaido stems from the spirit.

Anyway, undead monk guild will likely never happen because you can just be a Monk in the Teradrim or something with multi-class. Just adopt the roleplay that you described for yourself.
  • Seir said:
    Some would disagree with you. I think the Sentaari have some established lore saying that Kaido stems from the spirit.

Anyway, undead monk guild will likely never happen because you can just be a Monk in the Teradrim or something with multi-class. Just adopt the roleplay that you described for yourself.
    Heheh whenever it is suggested that undeath and Monks dont mix, I like pointing to Ciem and saying they should go visit the several monks in the halls.
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    You can get special entry to a house based on clan membership. Solaria did that with her house in Enorian.
    Solaria
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    I have that on my villagehouse :)
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    Note that the monks in Ciem never use Kaido.
  • Angwe said:
    Note that the monks in Ciem never use Kaido.
    Im sure if it was inquired of them that they would reveal their arts further. Currently I believe they use tekura to beat upon any raiders.
  • Ciem mobs are also from the days before tethering. Soooooo that whole argument is kinda moot both ways.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

(The Front Line): Daskalos says, "<-- artifacts."

• We can't compare npc's to Guilds or classes eiher. Besides, I think it's much more irritating that the Sentinel Rozhirr in Torturer's cavern uses Sentaari skills. Been annoying me since the first time I beat him up.

• edited April 2013
    Rivas said:
    Ciem mobs are also from the days before tethering. Soooooo that whole argument is kinda moot both ways.
    cant be moot since Monks are not affected by alignment tether. (neutral)

Also lets not forget that currently there -are- some undead monks on the Shadow player side and they do use Kaido :P. Guess that pretty much disproves that theory.
  • EzalorEzalor Emperor D'baen Canada
    edited April 2013
    Well, there's a Teradrim finding welcome in DUIRAN of all places, while Teradrim/Ivoln are all about nature being a parasite and trying to purge it. So tethers don't seem to matter here if the characters don't care about it RP-wise.
    Calipso
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    Tethering needs to go anyway imo.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    IlyonSeirCalipsoAlexinaDaskalosAlastairEsperPiper
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    Can I ask why undead monks supposedly don't work? Are we literally interpreting Kaido as a spiritual force, or is it chi as the flavor seems to suggest?

Ezalor said:
    Well, there's a Teradrim finding welcome in DUIRAN of all places, while Teradrim/Ivoln are all about nature being a parasite and trying to purge it. So tethers don't seem to matter here if the characters don't care about it RP-wise.
    He's not a part of Duiran and we don't go after people just for doing business in Duiran if they're not enemied. If that was our policy, we would've enemied Menelaus, Moirean, and anyone else that has frequented Duiran despite being a part of the other tether. He's not in Dion, but if he wants to come and fight you guys, we're not going to say no. It's very different than actually having a Templar as a ranking member of Bloodloch as they once did. :P
  • Seir said:

He's not in Dion, but if he wants to come and fight you guys, we're not going to say no. It's very different than actually having a Templar as a ranking member of Bloodloch as they once did. :P
    I think this is when your (your meaning your character and Duiran) morals and RP comes in, in that you would never fight alongside one utilizing powers that are pretty much the definition of anti-nature and stem from Undeath. Just saying. I dont think the excuse of "Well Bloodloch once did it with a Templar"  (which I have actually heard several times IG) makes it suddenly okay :/.
  • It's still pretty much flying in the face of tethering - the classes on one side of a tether aren't supposed to be fighting alongside a class on another tether in most cases, save like...arena events I guess? It's skirting the rules, it was annoying when Moirean did it as sentinel, it was annoying when Mazzion grove insta'd me, and it's still annoying now. Either need to give some kind of ruling on this admin-wise, or just delete tethering. Otherwise, gogo 'not in a city neener' Shaman running around, or a Templar/Carnifex killteam.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

It's not really the fault of the people in Duiran.

Go give Atrapoema a firm finger wagging. He's the one doing it, but don't expect him to care.
  • I realize it's not Duiran/anyone's fault but the one person doing it - it's impractical to run someone off. Just something that needs to be admin'd or the change reverted, because if it's possible to skirt the rules without anything happening, why not?

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

Seir
  • AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul

Calipso said:

I think this is when your (your meaning your character and Duiran) morals and RP comes in, in that you would never fight alongside one utilizing powers that are pretty much the definition of anti-nature and stem from Undeath. Just saying. I dont think the excuse of "Well Bloodloch once did it with a Templar"  (which I have actually heard several times IG) makes it suddenly okay :/.
    It is a matter of idealism and pragmatism. There are many parallels that could be drawn with real-life conflicts, but I always felt that real-life parallels are utterly irrelevant because we're all playing a game for our own enjoyment (and realism is not always enjoyable). Having someone of a specific class fighting for another organization than your own isn't suddenly the end of the world. I would say 'deal with it', but on the other hand people seem very adamant about maintaining balanced sides during conflict (the point of tethers is to restrict classes in order to maintain group balance, no?). Someone being the wrong class for the side seems like a passing phenomena, though; there are simply so many incentives to join a city that I doubt this will become a problem that requires hard-coded checks and balances to regulate.
    I got told by admin when I was cityless that I couldn't fight at lessers and that lessers were a city-only mechanic.
    Mastema
  • AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    I fought at lessers for quite some time after I left Duiran but before I joined Spinesreach, and it was never an issue. I feel that such a policy should be mentioned in 'help pk'.
  • Moirean said:

I got told by admin when I was cityless that I couldn't fight at lessers and that lessers were a city-only mechanic.

Wait wait, really? As in, we get pk against atrapoema for every attack?

Calipso
    You should probably ask them. It was over a year ago. I just got told that I should stay out of the fights, as it's a city vs city conflict mechanism.
  • ...and if they DO rule that, it's probably best to not try to claim retroactive PK on him for every lesser fight. That'd just be douchey. Claim it from here on out, sure...but not retroactive.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

(The Front Line): Daskalos says, "<-- artifacts."

Arbre
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    Hell no, I get PK on Atrapoema for everything he's ever done.
    CalipsoSeirAlastair
    I get PK on Lin for his sig.