Announce post #3311: Combat Changes

1/23/2022 at 16:01
Keroc, the Starborn
Everyone
Combat Changes

Hey folks,

A lot of changes to dive into here! With classleads coming up, we decided to get the jump on a few problem areas to save a bit of time on issues we already know about. This also includes a few changes that we're interested to see how they play out, before making a full decision on commiting to them.

Enjoy!

General
====================
(Do note: We are trying this out as a general mechanic rather then class specific for now. We'll see how it goes.)
- When you fall below 25% health, you will be afflicted by the 'shock' affliction.
* This affliction removes your ability to recover celerity.
* Lasts for 20 seconds.
- When you fall below 25% mana, you will be afflicted by the 'burnout' affliction.
* This affliction increases all cooldown costs by 20%.
* Lasts for 20 seconds.

Movement
====================
- Tumble now has an endurance and willpower cost of 75.
- The disengagement penalty is no longer applied if your opponent is already under its effect.
* So if you run past your opponent by mistake while chasing, you won't get punished for it.
* Refer to Changelog 1944 and 1945, as I'll henceforth refer to this as Disengagement.
- Increased the movement cost if you have disengaged recently to 6 endurance and willpower, up from 5.
* This is to make it triple the usual movement cost.
* Remains at 50 if the attacker is in your room when you leave.

Ascendril
====================
- Windlance (air) can now cause dissonance if the opponent has clumsiness and dizziness.
- Lightning damage has been increased.
- Thunder damage has been increased.
- Coldsnap damage has been increased.
- Coldsnap mana drain now relies on dissonance instead of shivering.
- Coldsnap mana drain from dissonance has been increased.
- Whirlwind will now hold people in place if the target has dissonance.
* This is in addition to the mana threshold it already has.
- Whirlwind will now last for 90 seconds, up from 60.
- Pressurize will now always drain mana.
- Inferno bonus damage has been changed to trigger with blisters instead of ablaze.
- Inferno bonus damage when you have blisters has been increased.
- Firewhirl no longer cures ablaze, but the bonus effects gained are still absorbed by it.
- Firewhirl bonus damage gained from absorbing ablaze is now based on the amount of stacks ablaze has.
- When two Firewhirls combine, it now gains all the bonus damage the original two had aquired.

Monk
====================
- Base willpower upkeep of maintaining a mind lock has been reduced to 150, down from 0.2% + 50.
- Jumpkick now causes 6% of torso trauma to the opponent and will cause some bruising.
* Jumpkick cannot be parried, but it is still susceptible to dodge charge.
* The bruising is mostly for extra salve pressure, nothing more for now.
- Sun / Sphere and Moon / Hypercube will now trigger Tekura blocks.

Carnifex / Warden
====================
- Erosion / Carve can no longer strip the 'manifestation_aegis' defence.
* While it isn't 'broken', I think aegis being hard to remove is healthy to have (especially for when you're first target).
* Force abilities can still remove it as per usual, if you're willing to try and time it while they are on bal/eq.

Wayfarer
====================
- Lob balance time increased by 0.15 of a second.
* Axe return time remains the same.

Praenomen
====================
- Fling now has a 30 second cooldown.
- Purify equilibrium cost reduced to 2 seconds, down from 3.

Sentinel
====================
- Laying traps endurance cost increased to 100, up from 50.
- Backflip endurance cost increased to 50, up from 10.
- A number of Woodlore abilities now consume willpower in order to use.
* Roughly about 50 for most, give or take, if they did not have a cost already.

Syssin
====================
- New Hypnosis Skill: Narcolepsy.
- Weakvoid affliction timer has been increased to 6 seconds, up from 4.
- Voyria TTK has been fixed so that it is properly 20 seconds, down from 24.
* Do note that the affliction is no longer hidden on delivery unless from loki.

Archivist
====================
- Growth bio energy cost increased to 2, up from 1.
- Growth bio energy cost is reduced to 1 when the target has at least two afflictions from the antipsychotic tree.
- Growth making someone fall over is now more clearly explained that it will happen regardless of target conditions.

Sciomancer
====================
- Fever now has the effect where it will convert dementia, if present, into hallucinations.

Teradrim
====================
- Increased the bleeding on Rip to 120, up from 80.
- Heartpunch will now disrupt rebounding aura if it is in the process of forming.
- Momentum cooldown has been reduced to 60 seconds, down from 120 seconds.
- Momentum duration lowered to 30 seconds, down from 45 seconds.
* Still only lasts for 5 attacks, so ultimately shouldn't change a lot in the moment.

Indorani / Oneiromancer
====================
- Creator / Bowl hits to destroy lowered to 3, down from 5.
- Creator / Bowl creatures now have less health and are easier to kill.
* They do respawn until the Creator / Bowl is destroyed though.

Lycanthrope
====================
- Fixed Mangle and Destroy not correctly damaging limbs in certain scenarios.

Zealot
====================
- Psi Tether now ignores shield and barrier on cast.

Penned by my hand on Falsday, the 11th of Chakros, in the year 500 MA.
AeryxNaosLinNipsy

Comments

• TetchtaTetchta The Innocent
    So I def think this is waaaaaaaay better than broadly targetting willpower/endurance, and the impact on PVE seems minimal overall (probably, on paper anyway, I'm way too bashed-out to test it myself). My only question re: the top two changes is why, if this is generally meant to impact PVP, is this a general mechanic patch and not one that targets people either in sect or with a hostility timer on them?

• edited January 2022
    Seems like a batch of interesting changes designed to slow combat a little, and make people run less to stall out any fight (which isn't fun by any means, hit twice and they bounce from the room). Would you consider making it so only those with aggro timers get hit with shock/burnout? Clotting is a bitch when bashing places (like Dovan) where they do that one attack which makes your torso bleed 1000 a pop every message.

Eucrasia pills finally have a purpose for them. Hooray! 

Also been testing Archivist, Sciomancer, and Lycanthrope lately.

Archivist change makes sense. It helps gate some inventive uses of Growth with carefully timed mutagen ticks or flares.

Lycanthrope fix helps make sense of some of the stuff I was confused on yesterday.

Sciomancer change seems slightly odd, because the shift to having fever convert dementia to hallucinations doesn't make sense to me. Hallucinations is lower on the antipsychotics cure tree than dementia.* Is it also to slow the afflictions per second that Scios can output? None of them make any difference if it doesn't build to voidtrapped into singularity collapse, though, since dementia is one of the four needed afflictions to stick so they tick over to voidtrapped. I'll have to tweak my route with falter/scourge and less fever spam, and see what difference it makes.
    WjoltyrNipsy