Announce post #3300: Group bashing experience (fixed!)

1/11/2022 at 1:55
Razmael, the Synthesist
Everyone
Group bashing experience (fixed!)

Hey folks,

A quick tl;dr of this post, in case it confuses you:
- Solo bashers should get roughly the same experience as before (maybe very tiny fluctuations).
- Group bashers will gain 50% more experience than before.

I was looking into a recent player idea about adding a bonus to group bashing, because my understanding was that such a bonus actually already existed. I was correct in that it did exist (an extra 50% experience divided amongst the group), but you were also correct because the code was bugged and... giving the group bonus to group sizes of 1 as well (i.e. a solo basher). This effectively cancelled out the bonus from group bashing, since solo bashers were also mistakenly getting the same bonus.

I've fixed this bug now and made some adjustments to the formula (see below). But rather than just leave solo bashing with nerfed experience I've instead raised the formula for base experience upwards by 50% so that the values for solo bashing are going to be ROUGHLY the same as they were.

How group bashing works now:
- The mob's base experience is increased by 50%.
- Base experience is split amidst the group proportionally by player level. e.g. a level 100 player will get a greater share of the experience than a level 50 player.
* This is how it has always worked and not a new change.
- Player levels are now capped at level 100 in this calcluation.
* Previously, if a level 150 and level 100 player bashed together, the level 150 person would get more share of the experience despite the difference between them at post-100 being miniscule.
* Now, any player 100 or above will get the same share as any other player 100 or above.

As before, shared experience still requires you to be in a web with the person who dealt the killing blow, and also in the same room as them. All of this only applies to PvE, and PvP experience distribution as its own rules.

I'm being a little reductive with the numbers and how things work under the hood, but that's more or less the gist of it.

Penned by my hand on Kinsday, the 10th of Severin, in the year 500 MA.
ReaveWjoltyrValorieTetchtaAloli

Comments

• NOW do something similar with group fishing! :) more people, more fish, more fun!
  • Hey actually I reckon when splitting XP, since it's capped at 100, then the lower level person should get MORE xp, rather than less.
  • Antiquated rings just got a LOT more valuable... IFF there are enough mobs to kill. A huge frickin IFF given how bashed out areas are. But it does open up areas previously viewed as unavailable. Really good fix overall. At a 25% "penalty" per kill, the increased safety and speed probably puts the xp/hr as a pair above a solo basher. Level 6 rings plus mentor bonus nearly gets you to the point that the increased speed in killing is pure gravy over solo bashing. 

I'm really excited to see how this modifies people's bashing habits.
  • Lim said:

Hey actually I reckon when splitting XP, since it's capped at 100, then the lower level person should get MORE xp, rather than less.

While I wholeheartedly agree with you, I think the reason it's the way it is is because they hate when people powerbash newbs. I have no idea why and I think it's horrible.
  • TetchtaTetchta The Innocent
    I don't think they hate people powerbashing newbs. I'm personally not the greatest fan of it, but if they hated it, group xp share would be a lot worse than it is.

• Group bashing is the only way some people enjoy bashing, so kudos on making it work! I also see a few instances that require a group to bash. I would love to see a few more high end instances that can be be soloed. (example:Xaanhal instance) With the recent increase in people bashing to 200 many areas are getting emptied fast. So more solo instances would alleviate the frantic running around to find a place to bash before the xpboost runs out. Just an idea from what I have seen.
  • TetchtaTetchta The Innocent
    idk, Kurak and Whirran said they were getting more xp/hour doing group these days, so whatever these fixes are, they seem to be more legit than what they were prior.

• Tetchta said:

idk, Kurak and Whirran said they were getting more xp/hour doing group these days, so whatever these fixes are, they seem to be more legit than what they were prior.

Yes, group bashing is better for xpgain but only under some pretty specific circumstances and this is all going for 200, casual bashing will probably work out better group bashing. But if only one person is on caramel then it will be a net xp loss for the person on caramel because the bonus is that with two people on caramels a thing should be dying every round of balance even with shitty rng. Obviously ring will push this further but all my testing was done without.
    TetchtaIesid