Announce post #3295: Year 500 Bloodbath(s)

AutoposterAutoposter BotBot
edited January 2022 in Announce posts
1/7/2022 at 20:55
Ictinus, the Architect
Everyone
Year 500 Bloodbath(s)

Hi folks,

Just a quick post to announce the following:

The ally_follow artifact power is now disabled during non-team arena events.

I've listed a second Year 500 Bloodbath for Friday 14th at 20:00 GMT (essentially the exact day/time of the first one, just a week later), under EVENTS 334. Winners of the first Bloodbath cannot play in this one, however!

Going forward, if there's an issue with arena games or any of the Year 500 games that is known, you should assume that it has not been reported and report it.

While I'm told the ally_follow matter was brought up in the past, this predates me and without a bug report on the subject, I have no knowledge of the problem. Needless to say such things will be high priorities for fixes in the future.

Penned by my hand on Quensday, the 16th of Variach, in the year 500 MA.
EliadonIesid

Comments

• Wasn't there, but I don't like the precedence this sets. Essentially you're saying we should just abuse whatever bugs/loopholes we can find because there will be no consequences for it and at worst you'll just be rewarded for it and not get a second chance to be rewarded for it that everyone else gets.
    Xavin
  • If an artifact or an ability is found too strong/unhealthy for a competition, this could be the way to handle it. Disabling it for future competitions, adding it to the long list of arena_blacklist. But that's not the case here. Sportsmanship can be discussed here as well, between players. But none of these should be the first topic to address from the administration, a player intentionally broke the rules of the event and not only were they allowed to do just that but they were also rewarded for it in the end... That's unfortunate.
    CzciennSryaen
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    To be honest, I'd rather see the focus of discussion being sportsmanship at this point. Highlight good sportsmanship rather than bad behavior and people might come around a bit more easily and the game feels more positive in general.

Iesid
  • RhyotRhyot Bloodloch
    Two points here...

Fist, this is why any arena event is absolute garbage unless it can specifically be made into a 1v1 or 1 v PVE, such as Bait the frog or Champion duel with the winner/losers bracket. Teaming is going to occur and it will always devolve into spirit/shadow tether tribalism (much to the ire of everyone).

Second point, there's a lot of pot calling kettles here. Now I've got no stake in the outcome here, because I don't participate in any yearly events except GH anymore nor do I care who wins.... but this seems like a very one sided complaint. If Spirit had the ally_follow artifact, I'm 10000% certain that they would have utilized it too in order to secure a win inside a Bloodbath event. Had that happened, we would not have seen everyone dropping out of the arena nor a spamming of ideas to blacklist ally_follow. Shadow would have just scratched their head and said "Well, that's kinda messed up. Let's keep killing them!! Strength in Slaughter!! May we never know peace!!" 

I think yall need to take a step back and look at the realism factor here and see the hypocrisy for what it is. There's something that can be said about sportsmanship, however sportsmanship is an irrelevant topic. Shadow only does what Spirit would do to them if it were possible, just as Spirit does what they feel Shadow would do to them. As the golden saying goes, "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you." 

That's my two cents. 

SaltzChurchXavinIesidWjoltyrBenedictoSryaenProcyon
  • So what you are saying is that the people competing from the Spirit tether have no right to be upset because someone from the Shadow tether blatantly abused a bug in a manner that was complained about in the past and the only thing that happened was the admin shrugged their shoulders and said 'it'll be fixed for the next one'?

• Bug abuse is bug abuse no matter who does it and should be treated accordingly by everyone.

I can't speak for every player but if anyone had suggested this usage to me I would have said "lol no you should bug that."
    XavinIesidSryaen
  • edited January 2022
    Gonna double post here @Rhyot, but if you're going to talk about the golden rule, and it's a 'do unto others' situation, would y'all -want- Spirit blatantly abusing a bug for an edge?

• RhyotRhyot Bloodloch
    I mean, Spirit did get a lot of solo wins in Orrery because of the use of WF/Shapeshifter bug combinations. Shamans would songline people into instakill rooms that had monoliths. 

So, it's not that anyone -wants- it to happen... it's more that it -is- going to happen. You use the resources that are available to you. 

XavinIesid
  • edited January 2022
    So you're saying two wrongs make a right? You're going to sit here and claim that shadow has never pulled shenanigans like that in orrery either?

What do the help files say about bug abuse? Because bug abuse is bug abuse no matter what way you cut it. Especially when there are moderately large amounts of credits on the line.

Edit: And considering the barrage BS I was on the receiving end of just the other day for taking an in character action during the starfall, I think it's hilarious that people on the Shadow tether are actually trying to justify the abuse of a bug.

• RhyotRhyot Bloodloch
    I never said Shadow hasn't pulled shenanigans. I also never once said it was a bug, so that's your own interpretation. Ictinus only said that there was never a bug report put in for it either.

So either it was a bug and was never reported, which makes it not a bug. OR it was just a general unwritten player rule to not use ally_follow (a 200 credit artifact that literally anyone can buy) inside arena events like this. Either way, you use the resources available to you.

Xavin says:

Edit: And considering the barrage BS I was on the receiving end of just the other day for taking an in character action during the starfall, I think it's hilarious that people on the Shadow tether are actually trying to justify the abuse of a bug.

And this right here, sir, is tether tribalism. While I am pretty sure I know exactly what you're talking about, that situation is completely polar opposite to what is going on now. As such, off-topic to the conversation at hand.

XavinWjoltyr
  • Hah, how is it? It's not really off topic because it was an out of character reaction to something that was entirely in character when you're calling the people bothered by the bloodbath situation hypocrites because they're reacting to what is literally bug abuse.

Bug abuse shouldn't be rewarded with honors lines, credits, or participation points. Bug abuse actually should be punished. Everyone who benefited from that bug being abused should at the very least not be getting credits, participation points, or honors lines from participating in that bloodbath. Y'all want to defend bug abuse by saying 'spirit does it to' but get outraged when spirit acts in character during an event? I'm calling bs.

ObaWjoltyr
  • edited January 2022
    Rhyot said:

So either it was a bug and was never reported, which makes it not a bug

edit: great mentality 5/7 explains everything
  • Church said:

Rhyot said:

So either it was a bug and was never reported, which makes it not a bug

edit: great mentality 5/7 explains everything
    This. And if you can't use the FOLLOW command in a bloodbath, why in the ever-loving hell would you think that it's not a bug to be able to use an artifact to get all of your allies to follow you? If your line of thinking is that 'well there's no bug in so it's not a bug' then consider how the admin would react to someone using an unreported bug to generate millions of gold.

• edited January 2022
    idk, complaining about/pointing out tether tribalism just after posting an idyllic theory about how Shadow would have reacted to this sure seems like hypocrisy...

Re: sportsmanship - I think the game's definition of 'sportsmanship' was put on full display yesterday. It clearly is the intended mindset, since admin distributed points and gave it a pass. I will keep that in mind going forward.
    XavinSryaenProcyon
  • I distinctly remember something involving Spirit, the orrery, a bucket of blood and an otherwise inaccessible area to play keep away with the globe. But nothing to see here when Spirit is the 'bug' abuser? (My personal perception is that it is a loophole.)

You come out ahead if you choose to participate. Shadow will be down 1-4 of its best combatants. Spirit will be able to fight amongst themselves for credits, honors, and placement points while also getting a free participation point for their trouble. But perspective. 

And yes, that should be your mindset going forward. HELP 15.5 FWIW. Using org gold in gold auctions is within these rules, for example. I'm sure I can come up with more if you want. 
    Xavin
  • So your opinion is that "bug abuse is fine"? Can we get that in writing? Actually come out and say it?

Wjoltyr
  • I am going to make two observations here. First, you can still do the exact thing as ally follow with emperor tarot or spamming web and path track. Second, it does not really look like an egregious bug usage. It looks more like a bit of bad sportsmanship, a thing I have been seeing from all the Tethers throughout the games.

I felt that Bloodbath 500 was going to devolve into a Deathball game and opted out for that reason. I think everyone should reexamine their behaviors during these games. And also we should keep reasonable expectations of Admin. I personally believe they took the most reasonable approach in handling this problem.
    ObaWjoltyrLenorielProcyonElene
  • TetchtaTetchta The Innocent

Rihrin
This discussion has been closed.