Mirroring classes? Is this good or bad in your opinion?

QuerynautusQuerynautus Member Posts: 3
So, I've always loved diversity. Firmly been in the camp of people that believe it's okay for opposing factions to have different stuff and not a duplicate of the other side. It works for WoW I suppose, but I much more enjoyed something like Dark Age of Camelot which had 3 realms and while classes had similarity (heavy tanks, assassins, archers, support, light tanks etcetc on all 3 sides) the classes were vastly different and had real flavor.

So my question is what do you all feel about how the admin are mirroring classes? I haven't played Aetolia in absolutely forever and have barely begun reading the forums again, but I'd like to know what you all think, if you don't mind.

Comments

• SaltzSaltz Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
    Mirrors are amazing, not only are they content everyone wants to check out, but also they are incredible foundation for any balancing attempt.
    TetchtaQuerynautusNipsy
  • QuerynautusQuerynautus Member Posts: 3
    I like both these posts.

Thanks for sharing.
  • EndranEndran Member Posts: 3
    I'm pretty new to Aetolia but the mirror classes seem pretty well done and look like they add a lot to the game setting rather than being just reskinned copies plunked in for the sake of balance. It is also exciting to think about how many options this will add to trying new classes in the future rather than being limited to just what is linked to one tether.
  • AeryxAeryx Member Posts: 225 ✭✭✭
    I was in the minority of people who didn't like the idea, because I think there's something to be said for each side having its own unique things. In practice, it's been kind of fun, I suppose. The flavor is different enough to where it doesn't feel as samey as I imagined it would. But then again, I haven't played any of the mirrors personally yet. Still holding out for either Spirit Teradrim or Spirit Praenomen.
    Childhood's over the moment you know you're gonna die.
  • QuerynautusQuerynautus Member Posts: 3
    Aeryx said:

I was in the minority of people who didn't like the idea, because I think there's something to be said for each side having its own unique things. In practice, it's been kind of fun, I suppose. The flavor is different enough to where it doesn't feel as samey as I imagined it would. But then again, I haven't played any of the mirrors personally yet. Still holding out for either Spirit Teradrim or Spirit Praenomen.

See, that would just turn me off to the game. The entire draw of Aetolia for me has always been the whole... VAMPIRES! shtick. You can't have that on Spirit imo.
  • BulrokBulrok Member Posts: 260 ✭✭✭✭
    They won't be vampires. Earthcaller and Luminary a good examples of how the mechanics will be the same, but the classes flavor won't be alike. Dirges and Rites are the only thing even really remotely similar. The messages and flavor of everything is just *wildly* different. They share mechanics, but they are not the same class. If anyone ever tried to compare the two ICly I think we might all die of awkwardness, because *nothing* links them in flavor. So long as Skill A does X type of damage and delivers Y affliction at Z balance/equilibrium time, the flavor message can read as anything.
    Copperhead of the Third Spoke says to you, "Intelligence matrix in moniker Bulrok reveals above average results when compared alongside proximal presence."
    TetchtaEakuLin
  • TetchtaTetchta Member Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭
    Since almost the flavor comes from text, it's really easy to make things divergent as hell. Mirror Frenzy could just as easily be "He opens his mouth and a bunch of tiny flies zip out of his throat and slap you in the face."
    A bolt of burning blue fire slams into the ground near where you stand, a warning from Ictinus. The next one may not miss...

You just received message #2078 from Ictinus.

Message #2078 Sent By: Ictinus Received On: 10/24/2021/0:31
    "Nerd."
  • SeurimasSeurimas Member Posts: 200 ✭✭✭
    I shall forever mourn the loss of Aetolia's asymmetrical nature, but the positives outweigh the negatives by a big margin. Everyone gets new toys for cheap (in terms of admin/volunteer effort, compared to a full new class or system). There'll be less griping about tether balance (not none, never none, we can be honest here). Guilds are getting breaths of fresh air (in the form of whole new RP/lore to explore).

It's hard to look at all the positives and call mirror classes "bad". The worst that could happen would be mirror class newbies feeling like they were screwed out of a real class by picking a poorly done mirror. Mirrors so far have been pretty expertly done, though.
    Didi has expressed her esteem of you for the following reason: Smart organized leader.
    Experience Gained: 47720 (Special) [total: 2933660]
    Needed for LVL: 122.00775356245
    NipsyMatiTeani