Guild Selection

There's a lot of guilds to choose from, and so many of them seem potentially interesting. I could use some help to narrow it down. 

I'm pretty much solely interested in the RP of it. If I ever do dabble in combat it would probably be a long time away, and if the players' focus in the guild is more combat-oriented, it's going to be harder for me to stay interested. My main goal is to improve my writing ability, so if the players in it are somewhat forgiving that I wouldn't be great at RPing right away, that's very ideal.

A huge factor for me is the guild's activity. Most of the time I'm able to play will likely be off-peak. I'm looking for a somewhat consistent presence then.

Any suggestions? Any thoughts on a guild you've simply had fun with are completely welcome.

Comments

• PhoeneciaPhoenecia The Merchant of Esterport Somewhere in Attica
    edited March 2013
    If it's RP rather than combat ability you're after, it would still be difficult to narrow down the choices as pretty much every guild has some really good RPers, and I'm willing to bet credits that any minute now everyone's going to be pitching their guild to you. The better question to ask is what kind of environment are you looking for or what kind of theme interests you?

For example, you've got the Cabalists and the Ascendril to a lesser extent that are mainly scholarly. Then there's the Daru who are very 'rawr kill all undead. undead bad'. And then there are the knight guilds who revolve a bit more around discipline and duty. And then you've got guilds like the Sentinels and Shamans who are nature's protectors and somewhat reminiscent of rangers.

The help files for each guild are typically a good start for getting info on each guild's theme, but if you want more detailed info on specific guilds, people here are more than happy to oblige. Important thing is what would interest YOU.
  • edited March 2013
    You cannot swing a stick in Aet and not find some kind of RP. Each city/guild has its ups and downs. Phoe is right, what are your interests and go from there. Undead/Living, Nature/City, RawrWolf/CareBear things like that.

ArbrePeriluna
  • IosyneIosyne the Lair
    While it often fluctuates from time to time, TOPGUILDS is a decent indicator of how active a guild is.
  • That's pretty much why I'm having trouble. I've read all the helpfiles, and each one has the potential to be fascinating. I'm really not picky. Honestly, it's the actual activity levels I'm curious in the most. I picked Cabalists, and for about 90% of the time I've been completely alone, or I've felt like I'm talking to a wall. That's one of the biggest ways I want to narrow this down.

I didn't realize that there was a function like topguilds. I'll take a look at that. Thanks!
  • PhoeneciaPhoenecia The Merchant of Esterport Somewhere in Attica
    edited March 2013
    Just as a disclaimer: TOPGUILDS is also not necessarily an accurate measure of RP quality *coughcoughBahkatucough*. >_>

In terms of activity and RP quality...Duiran's got a healthy dose of both (Sentinels and Sentaari are both very good choices) and Enorian's not bad either since it seems both have been on an upswing lately. If you want to stay on the Dark side, Bloodloch is good if you want to do the undead stuff. Joining a house is also an extremely good idea if you want to go vampire. If you want to stay in Spinesreach...ennh. Maybe Syssin or Atabahi. Can't really give you a good gauge on activity over there.

Also, a good strategy is to check QWHO whenever you're logged in and see who's online. If you see the same people around at the same time you are for a few days in a row, it might be worth consideration to check what guild they're in and see if it tickles your fancy.
  • It should also be noted that, if you're going to only be around on off-peak hours...I dunno that there's any one thing we can point you towards in terms of "here's how to decide if a guild will be good". Off-peak hours can be rough, you kinda just have to find what works for you and stick with it. I'm not sure any guild has a consistent presence 24/7, y'know?

I'd recommend Cabalists, Syssin and Templars as decent RP guilds, though. Maybe Bloodborn?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

(The Front Line): Daskalos says, "<-- artifacts."

• EmelleEmelle Dreamshaper Tecpatl's Cradle
    Carnifex is also one to consider now that Moirean's back. It could be interesting from a development standpoint as well because it's just coming out of inactivity, so you could have a hand at helping with restructure if that's something that interests you.
    MoireanEdhain
  • EzalorEzalor Emperor D'baen Canada
    Bloodborn is not one to choose if you want activity. Most people in that guild are far more active/interested in their Houses than in the guild. Even when Darliea was trying hard to foster activity there was hardly ever any to be found.
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    Shaman has a LOT of RP potential - however, we're quite possibly the smallest guild in the game, so there's a large chance you will be alone at off-peak.
  • I definitely have a lot more to go on than I did before. Thanks, everyone.
  • KiyotanKiyotan spectacular vernacular Summit of the Falconmount
    What are off-peak hours?
    Some may say we've lost our way, but I believe we've not gone far enough.
    Esper
    Also going to toss in a recommendation for Sentinels. There's a lot of great lore and RP potential there, and it seems like they have a fair level of activity going right now.
    KiyotanDamonicusArbreSeir
    I don't know about peak hours or off-peak hours, but there are a large handful of active Sentinels. It's been called Duiran's flagship guild, and there's always guaranteed assistance from one person or another.

That said, I want to give props to @Angwe for making it a point to meet up with every single new Sentinel who joins through the intro and get them started. Guy's one of the best HoN's I've had the pleasure of working with. 
    EmelleAngweSeir
  • SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    Sentaari have a lot of activity lately. Worth a look methinks.

Speaking as one, it's a mixed bag. There's some interesting RP potential and decent activity within the guild, but for one reason or another the monks tend to be fairly solitary. I think there's probably some solidarity to be found if you seek it out, and that isn't to say anyone is unwilling to help. People are usually willing to lend a hand if needed, but there's not a whole lot of guild-wide activity going on, and really has not been despite various leaders trying to make strides in that direction.

Moirean said:

I like RPing with ents. >_>
    Hey, you and Relandroc have that in common :3
    IllikaalArbreMoireanNolaEsperPerilunaSeir
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Oh zing. :(
    Kiyotan
  • edited March 2013
    Kiyotan said:
    What are off-peak hours?
    -- That's fair, I probably should have defined that for clarity. Very rarely before 10 PM CDT. Often probably closer to midnight, except on weekends. And things seem to get real, real quiet very soon after that.

But there's a wealth of information in here, and I'm a lot more confident I can find somewhere to settle in than I was yesterday. Much appreciated. :)

EDIT: I can't seem to figure out how to work the quotes properly. Sorry if that runs together.
    I tend to be around late night, though not from 10pm-3am PST on Sat/Sun as that's when I raid in WoW. It's pretty quiet overall during the later hours, but Satomi and I both tend to be nightowls. I don't know what my schedule is going to be like when classes start, and, like I said, Carnifex are pretty quiet, but there you go!

I'd also advise looking at RP logs, both on these forums and the old forums (http://www.aetolia.com/forums/the-midnight-age/roleplay-logs) to get a feel for the type of RP you'll get in each guild. Here is an example of the Carnifex "militant" stuff: http://www.aetolia.com/node/61178
    Achamia
  • AlistaireAlistaire Las Vegas, Nevada
    edited March 2013
    Late to the conversation here, but both of the active leaders of the Templar (Myself and @Phoenecia) tend to be around at all manner of late hours if you're interested in being one of the good Knights.

We don't have a whole lot of RP logs posted, but here's a few of our recent Knighting ceremonies: http://forums.aetolia.com/discussion/295/templar-knightings-making-this-instead-of-one-for-each-individual-person#latest

And here is a much older log from when we were still Paladins, but it showcases Edhain being awesome and a bit of more personal RP between two of our members: http://www.aetolia.com/node/60513

Edit because of the log from Paladin times: YOU STILL OWE ME A STORY, EDHAIN

In terms of dark side guilds: Before she left for a while, I was a secretary in the Carnifex working with @Moirean on an alt and she fosters a VERY fun atmosphere in the guild.
    AchamiaMoirean
  • EzalorEzalor Emperor D'baen Canada
    edited March 2013
    Holy crap I never knew you could order the ents to emote themselves! I've just been using Blood Vision to simulate the ent actions when using them.

As for Houses @Moirean you don't actually have to be a vampire to join any that are not D'baen or Bahir'an. I'm fairly certain all the other ones accept Undead. And (until recently when Abhorash said o hells naw) some of them accepted living too, so it's not a pure vampire thing except for the aforementioned two Houses.

EDIT: Oh and I'm not sure if you were around when things got changed, but you don't have to hold Praenomen or BB class at all anymore either to be a vampire. Having the sun disadvantages sucks though.
    Moirean
    Oh, I know, I was just being jealous. Orgs are fun to be part of! :P
  • I think it all depends on what kind of character you want to play. There's good roleplay in all corners of the game. Even if some areas may be flooded with meta or lame from time to time, the swing of things is always temporary and you can always find good roleplayers among it. So my advice is to just think about your character and choose a place defined by that. But don't feel constrained to that place, either, because some of the most interesting roleplay can be inter-organization.

@Alistaire: I remember.
    MastemaArbreEmelle
  • This will forever be the proof of the awesomeness that was the Paladins in my eyes.

http://www.aetolia.com/node/55307

Edhain
  • "Warrior Maiden, Lady Moirean Siarani"

/heart tug

KonnornMoirean
  • SeirSeir Seein' All the Things Getting high off your emotion
    Edhain is more of a warrior maiden than Moirean.
    MoireanKiyotan
  • Your mom's a warrior maiden.
    Kiyotan
    Edhain said:
    "Warrior Maiden, Lady Moirean Siarani"

/heart tug

Oh god. I was such a snuggly.
    EdhainHaven
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    Was?
    HavenKiyotan