How to tether ghosts?

edited October 2020 in Roleplay Logs
Previous log

The following week doesn't yield satisfactory answers for Galilei; neither does the week after that, really, but an intriguing suggestion does come her way.

(Tells): An uneasy sense of emotion hedges into your mind as the throaty whisper of Ayastia imparts, "I have... questions for you, later, when you are free, Sister. I want to understand what it is you are going through. To help where I can."

(Tells): On tendrils of air, you let your velvety voice reach Ayastia's mind: "Question away. Better to elucidate sooner than later."

(Tells): An uneasy sense of emotion hedges into your mind as the throaty whisper of Ayastia imparts, "Alright then." There is a pause, the distinct feeling of the woman trying to decide where to begin. "You said the spectre is your brother. Is he the same spirit that almost caused you to lose control?"

(Tells): On tendrils of air, you let your velvety voice reach Ayastia's mind: "Lose control?"

(Tells): An uneasy sense of emotion hedges into your mind as the throaty whisper of Ayastia imparts, "During your ascension. It appeared, anyways, that the rage could consume you at any moment. I was proud when it did not. But I'm just wondering if your brother was a more recent companion or... anyways, when it all started."

(Tells): On tendrils of air, you let your velvety voice reach Ayastia's mind: "I don't think..." The space between your minds warp with changing colours. "I don't know if he was there. He might well have been - I don't know for how long, and how often he has been watching me. I did... remember. Details from my mortal life. But I saw them, I don't think he was whispering them to me then."

With manic excitement, Rijetta screams, "AaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!"

(Tells): An uneasy sense of emotion hedges into your mind as the throaty whisper of Ayastia imparts, "You seem so... reserved. Exhausted. Beaten down. What is he doing exactly?"

Preceded by a derisive and insulting laugh, Ayastia belts out, "I'll bite! What's wrong Lieutenant Voice?"

(Tells): On tendrils of air, you let your velvety voice reach Ayastia's mind: "He can be heard now. He will make sure he is heard." A deep sigh. "He would not be trailing after me in his anger if he wanted absolutely nothing to do with me. Perhaps there will be a time when we can mend things."

(Tells): On tendrils of air, you let your velvety voice reach Ayastia's mind: "Or perhaps he simply wishes to unload his years of being ignored - and leave. Knowing him, as he was as a boy... I don't think he will want to sever all contact. I can only hope he will not want to sever all contact..."

(Tells): An uneasy sense of emotion hedges into your mind as the throaty whisper of Ayastia imparts, "Why would he be angry with you? Did he expect you to know he was there?"

(Tells): On tendrils of air, you let your velvety voice reach Ayastia's mind: "I came to the Carnifex hoping I could - find my family." Her words rush, trip over themselves, and come to a stop. "And... and then I became afraid. Afraid to find them, as I am. As a vampire, a murderer."

(Tells): On tendrils of air, you let your velvety voice reach Ayastia's mind: "He has been watching me. I don't know how much he knows of the Carnifex, how much we have to do with souls, but if he has been watching closely he may well know. From the way he acts..."

(Tells): On tendrils of air, you let your velvety voice reach Ayastia's mind: "I think - he knows I wanted to find him. And he wanted, so much, to be found. And I never... too many things, and sleep..."

(Tells): An uneasy sense of emotion hedges into your mind as the throaty whisper of Ayastia imparts, "You say as a murderer, Gal, but I think you are looking at it wrong. We live in a cruel world. You are not a murderer. You are a survivor. And you cannot blame yourself for that. Or for never finding him. And you can tell him I said this: This is a plane for the living. He may be your brother, and if he is capable of... what you say: emotion, thought... as a living person is, his soul is still strong. And as I said, the plane of the living. If he wishes to remain, to harass you, the least he can do is feed your soul stone from time to time. Be of use to you."

She -

No. It is to be... expected.

She is Carnifex. And she does not know my brother.

Nobody knows him as I do.

(Tells): On tendrils of air, you let your velvety voice reach Ayastia's mind: "He does not need me to take advantage of him. He needs me to heal him. I have to do it, Ayastia -."

(Tells): On tendrils of air, you let your velvety voice reach Ayastia's mind: "What poison he carries, I can carry just as much. I-I cannot condemn him. I should not. Not while I have the strength to try and help him."

(Tells): An uneasy sense of emotion hedges into your mind as the throaty whisper of Ayastia imparts, "You aren't taking advantage of him sister... Look at it this way. So long as part of him is in your stone, he /cannot/ leave, not fully, until you fix what is wrong. And by taking him into your stone... we have power over souls, Gal. That power can help you understand what you need to do. How to heal him. Better him residing in your stone, letting him manifest as he wishes at your permission, than for some spiriter find him and purge him."

(Tells): On tendrils of air, you let your velvety voice reach Ayastia's mind: "There is much I do not yet know of our powers." A dull indigo fills your mind, pulsing like a heartbeat. "If I wished for him to roam the lands while he is bound to my stone, would I need to follow him?"

(Tells): An uneasy sense of emotion hedges into your mind as the throaty whisper of Ayastia imparts, "That.. is something I do not know. I've never had an soul with intelligence in my stone before. I'm sure that there could be a tether though… something to pull on to recover him whenever you want."

(Tells): On tendrils of air, you let your velvety voice reach Ayastia's mind: "More of my brothers are out there." The pulse remains, almost visceral in its intensity. "I will not lose them - any of them. If... if there is a way to let them roam when they wish, to recover them and keep them safe... Then..."

(Tells): An uneasy sense of emotion hedges into your mind as the throaty whisper of Ayastia imparts, "Now this is just a theory but... perhaps by having one brother in your stone, you can use it to track the others?"

(Tells): On tendrils of air, you let your velvety voice reach Ayastia's mind: "He will help me." A different wording. "If I can convince him - I will convince him."

(Tells): An uneasy sense of emotion hedges into your mind as the throaty whisper of Ayastia imparts, "Well... they are just thoughts. Ideas Gal. I completely understand not wanting to enslave family. And... no matter how kind... that is what some will see it as. Even if for his own protection."

(Tells): On tendrils of air, you let your velvety voice reach Ayastia's mind: "I... let them say what they will - I can't lose him, there's so much of life he hasn't seen as he could have - I'm not ready to let them go. Any of them."

(Tells): An uneasy sense of emotion hedges into your mind as the throaty whisper of Ayastia imparts, "Gal... I get where you are coming from but... Sweetie, he isn't alive anymore. He's not even undead. There are some things you won't be able to help him with... he might be able to see it, but never experience it. I'm afraid if you... take the path you seem to be set on, you could make things worse."

(Tells): On tendrils of air, you let your velvety voice reach Ayastia's mind: "I will find some way to circumvent dangers - it's not fair. None of it is." Her words come faster and faster, thoughts giving way to emotion. "He wasn't even a bleeder. Not like Mattias. Not like the twins. He could have lived. Had we done more - had Varian - " a trace of her old rage toward a God beyond you all - "decreed his story would be like mine and brought him back..."

(Carnifex): You say, "Carnifex, a... question."

(Tells): An uneasy sense of emotion hedges into your mind as the throaty whisper of Ayastia imparts, "..." There is hesitation, a hint of caution. "Not even Varian decides when our stories are over, Sister. He does lot control the Fates. Nobody does. Your brother.... your brothers... their stories merged into your own. Inspiration for you. Caution. Knowledge. It isn't fair, but it is up to you to make sure that their deaths were not for no reason. And regret... it is the natural enemy of progression."

(Carnifex): You say, "Regarding souls that reside in the soulstone... intelligent ones. If they had enough willpower. Would they be able to roam on their own? If the holder of the stone allowed it? And summoned back?"

(Tells): In soft, clicking whispers that are reminiscent of tapping mandibles, Ardent hisses against your mind, "Mmmm."

(Carnifex): Mjoll says, "They were roaming before you put it in the stone, yeah?"
(Carnifex): You say, "Well... I suppose they were. Yes. Roaming."

(Tells): On tendrils of air, you let your velvety voice reach Ardent's mind: "Beloved?"

(Tells): In soft, clicking whispers that are reminiscent of tapping mandibles, Ardent hisses against your mind, "It just crossed my mind that you've been awake for a bit and I've been focused on what I was doing and did not even greet you. My apologies my love. I hope you rested well."

(Carnifex): You say, "And they would still be free to roam, afterward? If I let them?"
(Carnifex): Ayastia says, "It is my theory that, once in the stone, we hold power over them. If you wish to... suspend that control, that is up to you."

(Tells): On tendrils of air, you let your velvety voice reach Ayastia's mind: "They are in my story..." The anguish in her voice is soft. Reason encroaches, but does not yet overpower. "I'm going to care for them. Gods, I'd - I... I'd bring them back. Bring them all back if I could."

(Tells): On tendrils of air, you let your velvety voice reach Ardent's mind: "Yes."
The reply is soft, brittle, but still fond. "I've made... progress... of a sort."

(Tells): An uneasy sense of emotion hedges into your mind as the throaty whisper of Ayastia imparts, "Just remember sweetie. They are only /part/ of your story. Focus too much on a single part, and you will miss others."

(Tells): On tendrils of air, you let your velvety voice reach Ayastia's mind: "I have been focusing on one part far too much, yes. My brothers are here to remind me there is more to my life than what I have known and cling to. I... will be careful, nonetheless."

(Tells): On tendrils of air, you let your velvety voice reach Ardent's mind: "Progress, yes."
The space between your minds pulse strangely. "I can keep my brothers safe. If I can have them agree."

(Tells): An uneasy sense of emotion hedges into your mind as the throaty whisper of Ayastia imparts, "I have told you from the beginning, Gal. There is a lot of potential in you. I would hate to see it wasted."

You have emoted: Galilei's stance is too tense, her black eyes too bright. "I can bring my brothers back," she repeats, as though to a dismissive skeptic. "I can keep them safe, with me. Show them all they never knew."

A distant keening howl seizes your attention, and you stop to listen. It is the sound of some creature, somewhere, experiencing inutterable sorrow. A chill ripples down your spine as the sound trails off, but you remember...

(Tells): On tendrils of air, you let your velvety voice reach Ayastia's mind: "Potential I have aplenty. I'd never have found Bloodloch otherwise, no."

"Bringing back the dead tends to involve necromancy and also has very poor results." Ardent cautions immediately as he stares at his wife from where he's leaning against a bedpost.

You have emoted: Galilei is worrying at her bottom lip, fangs dangerously close to piercing the pallid skin beneath it. "Have they collaborated often with deathlore experts?"

"How do you intend to renew a decayed corpse for them to have a body of their own? Or are you planning to rip the soul out of another body and shove theirs in?"
Ardent asks in an all too blunt manner as his gaze falls heavily on you.

You have emoted: This jolts Galilei out of this particular fever - one can practically see the light draining out of her eyes. "Another won't ever be enough," she whispers. "I need them as they are. As they could be. Nine years... there wouldn't be any flesh left. But if there is - if it can be regenerated - " She looks back up, staring at Ardent. "My body died permanently and yet here it is, formed from Shadow and earth." Again, she cannot go on, and presses both hands to her face. "No - no. Mayar - he'd resist, I... If... I tried bringing them back, and it was actually possible, and they'd end up like me without having agreed to it..."

"You're looking at nine years of decay and the elements and bugs and creatures."
Ardent states firmly. "There will be no flesh left for you to try and regenerate." There is a hard gaze in the Kobold's eyes as he stares at his wife. "You are on the verge of disrupting the natural cycle to bring back your family."

You have emoted: "I am unnatural." The concession is deceptively soft. Unspoken: If any could do it, it should be I. Yet Galilei's replies shift, and she speaks with just as much fervour as she had before - if more subdued.

You say, "It matters not. I have my soulstone. I can keep my brothers safe in that way, away from any other who might try to dispel them permanently."

Ardent whispers soothing words to you.

In a gentle tone, Ardent says, "You should be trying to help them move on and sort your feelings and theirs on what happened..."

Ardent says, "Clinging to the past is dangerous in that we forget to look to the future and the present..."

You have emoted: "It could be a while until they move on." Galilei looks straight at Ardent, her gaze too intense to be that of a woman unperturbed. "My brothers may have avoided the Underhalls for over nine years. But they can be safer in my stone. With a tether they can return to. I'll let them roam as they wish, I'll - " Her words stumble, and trip, and fade into whispers. "I want to know them again. See who they have become... I just... want my family. With me."

With manic excitement, Rijetta screams, "FRIENDS! NEIGHBORS! STUPID, RUDE, NOT AT ALL ALLURING DUIRANITES! YOU MAY JOIN ME AT v64437 TO GIVE PRAISE TO THE DARK MOTHER, BLESSED IS SHE!"

"Calm down Gali." Ardent offers gently as he returns. "Getting to know them again may very well be the trick to helping them move on. I'm not saying give them up as family. I'm saying that you need to sit and talk with them. But you do not need to worry about trying to bring them back as of yet unless they want it. If they want it I'm sure we can sort something out."

With manic excitement, Rijetta screams, "SERMON! YOU HEAR ME?! SEEEEERRRRRMOOOOOONNNNN!!!!!"

(Market): Rijetta says, "Sermon! The best God! v64437!"

Standing abruptly, you say, "No. I'm never going to give them up. Shall we go?"

Comments

• edited October 2020
    Straightening into rigid, militant attention, you square your shoulders and crisply salute your fellow soldiers.

Straightening into rigid, militant attention, Mjoll squares her shoulders and crisply salutes her fellow soldiers.

Mjoll says, "At ease, Squire."

You release yourself from your tensed posture, lowering your shoulders to a more relaxed position.

(Tells): On tendrils of air, you let your velvety voice reach Qelres's mind: "What's this little gathering about? Do you know?"

(Tells): With a wheezing hiss to their words, Qelres tells you, "There's a gathering? I was just loitering."

Qelres's smiling mouth, directed at Rijetta, fades into a press of unease at your arrival.

You have emoted: Once Galilei is released from her salute she is free to react to Qelres - with a quizzical blink.

Rijetta ponders the situation.

Rijetta asks, "Do I, the Love Detective Rijetta Alhazrad, detect... a crush?"

You have emoted: Galilei's already raised eyebrows go lopsided at that, but she smoothes out her expression to play along. "Can you also detect the direction, Lieutenant?"

Qelres is not nearly as playful as you. "I don't do that," they say to Rijetta, their voice as flat as their retort is simple.

Rijetta harrumphs, frowning.
    "Didn't wanna be a Love Detective, anyway."

Earnestly, you ask, "What burdened you with the position, Lieutenant? A passed-down title from a parent you would not refuse?"

Qelres says to you, "It is that some are born with gifts they cannot deny."

Rijetta places the back of her hand on her forehead. "Yes, it is my burden to bear. My eternal struggle. Romance disgusts me, and yet, I sniff it out like a hound sniffs out a rabbit."

Rijetta says, "What a wicked curse."

You have emoted: Galilei performs a quick brush down over her shoulders and sleeves. "Does my person still reek of it, Lieutenant?"

Rijetta sniffs haughtily. "You ALWAYS reek of it."

Qelres chokes back a laugh at that.

You have emoted: Galilei concedes the point with a slow nod of her head. "Never may I be free."

Rijetta curls up her nose in distaste. "But wait, Rijetta," She claims, holding up a finger. "I hear you cry out. Aren't YOU, Rijetta, ENGAGED?" She nods, solemnly. "Why yes, curious questioner, I am."

In a deep voice, Rijetta asks, "But how, Rijetta? How can you reconcile engagement with disgust at romance?"

Rijetta urges you onward.

Rijetta says to you, "Go on. Ask me."

You have emoted: Galilei clears her throat.

A distant keening howl seizes your attention, and you stop to listen. It is the sound of some creature, somewhere, experiencing inutterable sorrow. A chill ripples down your spine as the sound trails off, but you remember...

In an approximation of the Lieutenant's deeper tones, you ask Rijetta, "But how, Lieutenant? How can you reconcile engagement with disgust at romance?"

Rijetta clears her throat. "I'm glad you asked!" She holds up her left hand, proudly displaying a black ring of Esityi, which adorns her ring finger. "As you can see, I am clearly engaged - no one else would dare wear a ring on this finger - and I'm sure that you can guess the only Woman to ever hold my heart."

Dreamily, Rijetta says, "It was in the throes of passion… amidst tears of Despair and gnashing of teeth I asked, nay, begged..."

Rijetta exclaims, "Dark Mother... be mine!"

Rijetta claps her hands to her cheeks, tilting her head back and forth within them. "And She said yes! Of course!"

Qelres is staring at Rijetta, unblinking and slack-jawed.

You have emoted: Galilei tries to keep up, then closes her mouth in thought.

You say, "I... wish I had been there to see."

Rijetta clears her throat, straightening back up into military rigor. "Ahem. Of course, this isn't It is nothing short of utter, pure, unbridled... devotion. A fire of jade burns within my chest, incinerating my lungs, filling my every waking moment with agony of longing for Her. And our marriage - our wedding day -- " She stops, almost a little choked up.

Rijetta clutches at her breast, and finally chokes out,
    "... can be nothing less... than utter, true union. She will take me, and I will be no more. As She passes into me, and through me, only She will remain. I will be subsumed, utterly, and worn by Her magnificence as a new body."

You have emoted: Galilei's eyes widen at that. "But - whatever shall we do without our Love Detective, Lieutenant?"

Qelres nods along with all of this, although their mouth remains agape.

Rijetta shakes her head.
    "I, all that I am, all that I have been, and all I could ever be, is nothing in comparison to what I will become for Her. It matters not. Mortals matter not."

Slowly, you say to Rijetta, "Perhaps She could be convinced to become our detective, sometime. Once... She has taken you on."

Rijetta says, "I should hope that there would be nothing of me left to tarnish Her."

Rijetta says, "Only my shape, molded to be perfect for Her."

Qelres's eyebrows have drawn low during the conversation. At last, their open mouth has snapped shut, lips forming into a thoughtful frown as they stare, unblinking, at some distant point.

Rijetta beams broadly.

Rijetta says, "Anyway, that is how I reconcile engagement."

Rijetta says, "It is simply far beyond petty romance."

And it is now that Mayar finally loses patience, with having to be silent if nothing else.

You have emoted: "...I never understood you people." It's not Galilei's voice whispering there, though her eyes dart around the cavern in search of something still-unseen.

Rijetta creases her brow in a frown.

Rijetta says, "That's rude, Squire."

Coiling like a living necklace, a gathering of insects - beetles, centipedes, and horseflies - swarm upwards from the collar of Qelres's robe to garb their throat in chitin. "That's okay," they say, "We don't understand you either."

Jarrhn smiles wryly.

You have emoted: Galilei helplessly stares at someplace unspecified, lips as unmoving as they had been. "How do people even stand to live in a volcano? How does your friend," it continues - Galilei blinks - "wear bugs and bear it? All the times I've come to look..." It trails off, a chill air passing by Rijetta with the brashness of the incorporeal.

(Tells): On tendrils of air, you let your velvety voice reach Akarn's mind: "...as you can see, he is not the most satisfied with his lot. Neither is he... without anger."

(Tells): From afar, Akarn hisses harshly to you, "That is... the soul? How has it become so manifest."

Mjoll's eyes narrow as she realizes it isn't you speaking, gaze sweeping the area as if looking for an intruder.

Rijetta widens her eye, so wide that it seems it might very well fall out. Her hand darts into a pocket, closing around… something... and the frown on her face deepens.
    "That's not necessary. Leave her alone."

(Tells): On tendrils of air, you let your velvety voice reach Akarn's mind: "He... and at least two of my brothers... have somehow remained behind. I do not know, Ser - only that he will make himself seen when he wishes to."

With a chuckle, Jarrhn says, "The volcano adds some excitement to the mundane."

Qelres is silent even as the swarm rises higher, a black and chittering tide which covers their jaw, their face, and eventually their head. Once settled, the horde stills with antennae attuned Outwards.

The insects congeal around Qelres's head, hundreds of skittering legs running along their scalp as the mass forms into their desired shape.

Akarn's singular gaze shifts to look over you with a considering air, his large jaw clicking together audibly, idly.

You have emoted: The air above Mjoll now pulses with a fair amount of restlessness. Whatever else, it has apparently peeked at enough Carnifex not to let its discontent spill onto the gathered soldiers. "Well. Nice to see so many people around, I guess. Didn't think I'd have a reason to show up and talk." Something flickers by Galilei, not by her side - pallid, slightly dissatisfied, and more than a little awkward. He shares the squire's pointed ears, and appears rather young.

(Carnifex): Ayastia says, "Fex. How are we this week?"

(Tells): From afar, Akarn hisses harshly to you, "I have never witnessed such a thing. I will surmise that you do not wish them to be gone."

(Tells): On tendrils of air, you let your velvety voice reach Akarn's mind: "No. Please - " The response is immediate. "I... do not wish him gone, no."

Rijetta stays on the defensive, retrieving her hand from her pocket, fingers uncurling to let whatever's inside stay there. "You should know Carnifex don't like to talk for too long."

(Tells): On tendrils of air, you let your velvety voice reach Ayastia's mind: "Sister... if you'd like to meet Mayar, the West Gate."

(Tells): From afar, Akarn hisses harshly to you, "Rest easy." The voice takes on an almost soothing rumble. "I will not take action unless there is need. Have you felt... different in any way with their presences?"

Qelres bows their head beneath the weight of their headdress. Their eyes, hooded beneath kohl-smeared eyelids, are the only thing about them which moves; they flick in whatever direction that voice comes from.

Ayastia arrives from the west.

You have emoted: Galilei's usual composure is also infected with the spectre's awkwardness, and opts for simplicity. "Mayar Ladoran," she says, nodding in the direction of the ghost, who hovers a few paces above her height. Perhaps an intentional choice on his part. "My departed brother, who has managed to avoid the Underhalls for a while."

Galilei's ghost mutters, "Don't ask me how, neither. I honestly don't know."

Rijetta tilts her head to the side. "Mayor of what?"

(Tells): On tendrils of air, you let your velvety voice reach Akarn's mind: "Not... particularly different, no. What I feel may just be what I feel to a long... lost brother. I cannot yet be sure."

(Tells): From afar, Akarn hisses harshly to you, "I mean more that you should be cautious that they are not influencing you or your emotions. It can act in a cumulative manner until you are taking actions you might not take under your own intentions."

You have emoted: Galilei's ghost stares incredulously at Rijetta before the look fades out to something more neutral. "The arse-end of living, maybe, Lieutenant."

You quietly click your tongue against the roof of your mouth.

Ayastia shrugs her shoulders, gesturing vaguely. "It isn't too uncommon. Look at Drakuum. Of the Bloodwood. Spirits avoid it all the time. It is the fact he retains memories of his life that I find odd. That isn't as common."

(Tells): On tendrils of air, you let your velvety voice reach Akarn's mind: "I will have to be strong. There are more of my family to find."

(Tells): On tendrils of air, you let your velvety voice reach Akarn's mind: "I can't risk anyone else banishing them."

The loud and powerful toll of a bell fills the air with tension, as city watchmen signal the coming of dawn.

Jarrhn leans comfortably on an inky shadeling.

You have emoted: The boy ghost turns faint grey eyes onto Ayastia for a moment, his look inscrutable and Galilei suddenly, faintly exhales.

Rijetta breathes a long sigh of relief. "So do we want to put him in the master soulstone?"

(Tells): From afar, Akarn hisses harshly to you, "You may have some difficulty with that amongst a host of Carnifex."

You have emoted: The ghost's contemplative mien is broken immediately by Rijetta's suggestion.
    "With all due respect, Lieutenant, no," Galilei's ghost hisses.

This isn't how he was.

Rijetta sniffs. "Ghosts don't really get a choice in the matter, far as I recall. What can we use you for, then?"

Rijetta tugs on Mjoll, trying to get her attention.

Rijetta asks Mjoll, "Do we consider ghosts people? Refresh me?"

Ayastia says, "Perhaps Gal's personal soul stone... Would be better given I would expect some Spiriters to try and force him to the Halls."

With a certain authority in her voice, Mjoll says, "Ghosts are fuel."

Qelres presses the pad of their thumb against their lower lip. They are no soul magician; they have nothing to add.

Ayastia says to Mjoll, "All due respect Commander, I do agree, but what we use are generally mindless and aggressive. Perhaps one that retains intelligence could serve another purpose."

Shrugging, Mjoll says, "I'm not gonna steal it or nothin', just saying - souls are the logs to burn our fires hotter and brighter."

You have emoted: Galilei winces visibly, briefly shutting her eyes. "I would have spoken to you more of this, Mayar - " she begins. To her credit she does not avoid the ghost's gaze, which is growing steadily wilder. "Will you listen?"

Jarrhn says, "Would be a shame if Galilei were to consume him to replenish her health."

Qelres lifts their gaze. To the ghost, they say firmly and clearly, "Being kept, safe, forever, by another, is not such a terrible thing."

Rijetta ponders the situation.

Rijetta tugs on Mjoll, trying to get her attention.

Mjoll tilts her head and listens intently to Rijetta.

Rijetta murmurs something softly to Mjoll.

Ayastia nods in Qelres' direction, offering another shrug. "Especially when the alternative can certainly be one of Dhar's not giving you a choice in where you reside."

Mjoll bares her teeth at Rijetta in a feral grin.

Mjoll murmurs something softly to Rijetta.

Mjoll gives a trillingly melodic laugh.

Mjoll says, "Either or."

Flashing a wide grin, Rijetta gives Mjoll the thumbs-up sign.

You have emoted: Then, all of a sudden, the fury drains out of Galilei's ghost. He gives his head a harsh shake. "S'pose I should have kept to myself. I don't know why I did what I did." His voice is tired. "I'm where not most people really visit these days." The not-question is directed to Ayastia.

Rijetta taps her bottom lip, glancing at Mjoll, then looking to you and her guest. "Alright. Maybe I was too hasty with the, uh, not people, thing. Maybe... well." She smiles, the ends of her lips curling into a hideous grin. "Maybe we are uniquely positioned to help. How would you like a job?"

Ayastia turns her gaze back to the ghost, staring for a long moment. "This is the second time I have known of your presence in almost as many weeks. You aren't exactly subtle... Mayar, yes? What happens when Gal is in the presence of another who would see you gone?" She gestures vaguely to Rijetta and Mjoll. "Just a moment ago they were talking of you being fuel. Gal is strong. But strong enough to stop them? Not by a long shot. Her soulstone would be a safe haven for you."

Jarrhn says, "Or alternatively, remaining in a haven. Assuming travel would no longer be an option without risk."

You have emoted: "What... job would it be, Lieutenant?" Galilei asks, brows still pushing helplessly together. The spectre, his brow equally furrowed, listens without comment to Ayastia's arguments, then his pale eyes swivel to his sister, suddenly narrowing.

Stubbornly, you say to Rijetta, "I would ask for some details, as Mayar's... guardian."

You have emoted: The last word almost draws a hiss from Galilei's ghost.

Rijetta beams happily, holding up two fingers. "Well, the Carnifex Guild has TWO Master Soulstones..." She lowers one finger. ".. and only one guardian of those Master Soulstones. I'm sure you're smart enough to connect the dots."

Iesid's voice resonates across the land, "FOLLOWERS OF HEVA! YOU TEMPT THE WRATH OF SHE MOST CHROMATIC!"

Jarrhn ponders the situation.

You have emoted: Both Galilei and her sibling fall quiet, their similarities all the clearer when the two are stilled. "Guarding the... as the Wraithlord guards it," the squire begins. "You're stuck there?" is the spectre's more blunt question.

You see Rijetta raise her voice and shout, "WOW IESID SAID SOMETHING SMART! WORSHIPPERS OF THE ALBEDI ENEMY ARE HERETICS AND MUST BE CASTIGATED!"

Rijetta coughs softly.

Rijetta nods.
    "Yeah, you gotta stay by the soulstone, but you'll be anchored to the world. You'll have purpose. You can beat up Cadets when they say something stupid. You'll be... a Carnifex. A Wraithlord."

Ayastia says to Rijetta, "Yeah but... who really fears Omei?"

You have emoted: The ghost blinks, less incredulous than before, but no less conflicted. For the first time his agitation flares down to a simmer, barely perceptible for now. Galilei steps forward. "There are more of my siblings at large, Lieutenant," she says quietly, with a fleeting glance to the spectre.

Galilei's ghost returns the look, with a minute nod.

Rijetta grins even wider at that, looking at Mjoll with her one, mischievous eye. "Three words, Commander."

Excitedly, Rijetta says, "Fully. Staffed. Keep."

You have emoted: "I think it best that... we first locate the others," Galilei finishes. "I think it best if we take time to determine if any of my brothers would be suited to the task."

Dreamily, Rijetta says, "Ohhh, we could have so many wraiths flitting about the castle..."

Mjoll can't help but return that grin, teeth flashing in hers as it slides lopsided and a quick, eager nod sends a crimson mohawk bobbing wildly.

Trying to ignore any looks coming from her brother, you say, "This is not a position that ought to be given lightly, and not to dissatisfied spectres."

Rijetta asks, "What if we swirled them all together and combined them into one super-brother?"

You have emoted: The look of disgust Galilei's ghost sports says it all.

Qelres laughs, suddenly loud.

You have emoted: Galilei's ghost says, "I'd really rather not share my head or any part of my bod - my body. With my brothers'".

You have emoted: Galilei's ghost says, "One of them's, like, two years old. Leastways, he was two when he died."

Rijetta says, "Ooh, that one can be the hallway cleaner. It'll be really funny to watch him try to navigate the stairs."

Mjoll raises a hand to her mouth, stifling a laugh.

You have emoted: Defensively, Galilei's ghost says, "We've tried to teach him. He can't be stuck as an infant forever. That's a sad life."

Rijetta peers closely at the ghost, eye narrowed. "We'll have to get rid of those morals and feelings if you're gonna be a good Wraithlord, pal."

You have emoted: "Specifically why I did not urge him to accept, or accept on his behalf, Lieutenant." Galilei steps in, face almost painfully earnest.

Rijetta says to you, "Well, we'll workshop it. Gotta find the rest of your ghost boys, first."

Qelres's chin lifts. "Are they buried anywhere?" they ask suddenly, face turning to give you a hard look.

You have emoted: "They're... buried at home." The youth's words, for once, is truly quiet without terse undertones. Galilei nods silently. "It's been a long time. Their souls are in Kentorakto. We come and go as we will."

"I wasn't speaking to you,"
    Qelres snaps at the ghost, impatient.

A contingent of insects detaches off Qelres' headdress, spreading in a scouting formation around them. Satisfied with their findings, the insects return to crawl up Qelres' body, rejoining the horde.

You have emoted: "Yeah?" The chill approaches Qelres now, uncomfortably close. "You asked a question. You have an answer."He cannot physically block Galilei out, even if he wanted to. "Got a problem with that?"

Qelres smiles with the twisted side of their mouth and stares, unflinching, into the cold presence of the spirit. They are staring -through-, to you. "If it is a matter of finding the others," they say, "I could help, a little bit, if I had bones."

Mjoll murmurs something softly to Rijetta.

You have emoted: "Why would you need bones, if Mayar already knows where their souls are?" Galilei holds up a hand. Her eyes flicker up, waiting for her brother to turn and see her if he would.

Mjoll leaves to the west, riding a hulking, black-haired boar. She is followed by a ghostly warhound, a white warhound, and a white warhound.

You have emoted: And turn he does - you cannot be sure if it is Galilei's look, or a greater matter at hand that stays further words from him to Qelres.

Ayastia says to Qelres, "Try not to antagonize the ghost. I hear being haunted is a pain in the ass."

Rijetta cackles hellishly.

Rijetta asks, "Haunted?"

Rijetta says, "Just suck them into your soulstone."

Rijetta gives a trillingly melodic laugh.

Qelres is about to say something more, but their teeth click shut. To Ayastia, they say instead, "Is it?"

Ayastia says, "I've heard. Never had it done to me personally. But shit moving around so you can't find it..."

You have emoted: This time, Galilei's ghost is silent at Rijetta's declaration. Initially. "We all lost. Far too much."

Qelres snorts arrogantly.

(Bloodloch): A humble bellman says, "Noon is upon us - get to the shadows."

Looking to the Azudim, you ask Qelres, "My question still stands - what need have you for bones, Qelres?"

The twist of Qelres's mouth turns into something truly hungry and hideous. They turn the side of their face towards you and the question goes unanswered.

A figure wrapped in darkness blinks vacantly, staring at nothing in particular.

Rijetta pinches the bridge of her nose.
    "Anyway... Squire, we'll work on a way to hunt down your siblings and, err, secure them. We can talk about which one gets encased in a suit of very cool armor for all eternity afterwards."

You have emoted: The temperature in the room seems to drop a few degrees. Mayar has seen. Before he can act, Galilei's voice cuts through the air like a knife after Rijetta speaks - black eyes bore into Qelres' face, even as her answer is evenly delivered to her superior. "Mayar and I will work with you, Lieutenant."

Icy fury in his voice, Galilei's ghost quietly says, "At a later time."

Ayastia says to you, "Was he that bratty when alive?"

Qelres keeps their silence and their face turned.

You have emoted: "I didn't come talk to you just so I could see my family hurt." The ghost's voice holds the barest suggest of a rasp when he speaks to Galilei. "S... Galilei. I'm going." He holds up a hand, already turning away. "Some time. Please."

The chill in the air disperses as Galilei's gaze follows it out west.

Qelres turns and moves away in the same direction.

The air seems to smell more fresh and light filters into the area as Qelres escapes to the west.

Rijetta ponders your profile, deep in consideration.

You have emoted:
    "It is... safety," Galilei murmurs, half to herself.
    "Yet - " She brings a hand to her temple, eyes closing once more. Her hackles are slow to be soothed, even with Qelres' departure.

Ayastia says, "Kids... doesn't matter what you say, what logic you use. When they set their mind to something..."

Ayastia shrugs helplessly.

Akarn leaves to the west.

You have emoted: "Be that as it may," Galilei says, distracted with recent happenings. "This is not just a position to just hand out. If any of my brothers - if they are found wanting, then the Keep's soulstone is better off with a better candidate."

You have emoted: Galilei's tone is smooth and composure has returned there, though her brows still hold a pinprick, worried line a moment more.

Rijetta taps her lower lip. "I'm not sure you understand what it would take to become one. I'm not just offering to plant any old soul next to the stone and call it a day."

You have emoted: "What does it take, Lieutenant?"Galilei's anxiety carefully folds itself away behind her eyes.

Rijetta tugs at an ear, thinking hard. "If I recall correctly, Gruxmal had to be locked into an agonizing suit of cursed armor for all eternity to be stabilized."

You have emoted: To Galilei's credit, she does not protest, not yet. "I am listening, Lieutenant."

Ayastia gives the world a smart salute.

Ayastia says, "Voltda."
    A sulfurous portal opens in the ground before Ayastia and she quickly jumps into it before it snaps shut behind her.

Rijetta grumbles, looking at her staff.
    "Well, I imagine it would be a pretty torturous process. I'm not sure they would survive into the other side..." She smiles, one eye trailing across the horizon. "... or what they'd be like if they did."

You have emoted: "If one of my brothers is who I suspect it is - " Galilei exhales faintly. "I would not recommend the youngest for the task." Where the Carnifex see a soul, it is clear she sees an infant still.

Rijetta nods quietly. "Yes, a Wraithlord ought to be an adult, I'd say."

You have emoted: Galilei straightens. The half-smile she offers Rijetta settles after a quiver, and her words come quick as well. "I will work on convincing my brother to prepare for a visit from the Carnifex, and return to you when they are ready. They will be informed - of this."

Rijetta beams broadly.

Rijetta says, "Excellent! I hope we can help you resolve this, uh, ghost whatever, with your family."

Rijetta wiggles some fingers in the air.

You have emoted: Galilei inclines her head, putting on a brisk expression. "All will turn out for the best, I shall believe it." A crisp salute, and she has left before Rijetta can look too closely at her face and eyes.