Dance Practice

PhoeneciaPhoenecia The Merchant of EsterportSomewhere in Attica
edited August 2020 in Roleplay Logs
Nothing epic or amazing here. Just a little slice of Phoe's merchant life.

Phoe gets bored one evening while tending bar at The White Lily Lounge, and puts out a call for a dance partner. To her surprise, Sarita - an accomplished dance instructor - responds with an interesting offer.

For a fun little reference, Waltz No. 2 was the music I had in mind for this scene since that piece has a prominent cello solo, and Phoe's musician is a cellist.

-------------------------------------------

Phoe
She is an athletic Yeleni of Human heritage and stands at roughly five feet, six inches in
height. Pale, peachy skin covers a slender yet sturdy-looking frame, an odd patterning of
tiny blue splotches covering the surface in thick lines over the tops of her arms and the
sides of her back and legs. Long, dark hair falls in thick locks to roughly halfway down
her back, and is kept unusually neat and tidy with the exception of the thick fringe of
bangs that falls over and covers her left eye. Though her hair appears black, closer
inspection reveals it to be a very dark shade of blue. A pair of large lavender eyes peers
out from a youthful-looking face, the same blue freckling covering her body dotting the
flesh near her cheeks and eyes and over the bridge of her nose. A pair of thin, wire-like
insect antennae sprouts out of the top of her head a few inches from her hairline, the
antennas sweeping forward from a sharp bend in the middle of their length and appearing
almost like dowsing rods. A set of four prismatic wings emerges from her back, appearing
to be a combination of insect and faerie. The wings seem to be made of light, the colors
shifting and sparkling periodically. Though difficult to detect, her body emits a faint
glow, enhanced by the tiny glittering flecks that coat her form. Part of the flesh along
her neck between her left shoulder and the base of her jaw is slightly warped and
discolored - the remnants of some sort of burn. The scar's shape is rather unusual, the
vague image of a phoenix with its wings spread out in flight burned onto the skin. The
faint scent of a sweet, flowery perfume lingers around her frame. The clean scent of a
refreshing sea breeze lingers around her - the aroma marking the blessing of the
Maelstrom.
She is wearing:
a flickering elemental brand, flickering on the back of the right hand
a Selunic weaponbelt, around the waist
a tempestuous globe of the Maelstrom, dangling from her pocketwatch chain
a beautiful rose-carved wedding band, decadently enwrapping a finger
a set of prismatic wings of light, emitting a shower of glowing motes
a gold and coral brooch of the Silverain, pinned to the lapel of her vest
an entwined ornate white lily hairpiece, tucked into her hair behind her left ear
a silver gryphon cameo brooch, fastening her scarf
a sapphire blooming rose pendant, dangling from the neck
a triangular ornamental medal, woven into her hair in a braid
a dainty rose engagement ring, curled around a finger
a silver locket, around the neck
a silver and sapphire pocketwatch, tucked into her vest pocket
a simple sash of pale blue silk, tied around the waist
a pair of flared, brown leather boots, worn on the feet
a pleated white skirt with blue trim, hanging airily from the hips
a pair of black silk stockings, pulled up to mid-thigh
a black archery glove, worn on the hands
a tailed, gold and azure vest, covering the torso
a white, ruffle-tailed, longsleeve blouse, tail brushing the backs of her legs
blue and white lace garters, worn on the legs
a ruffled white neck scarf, looped through the collar of her blouse
the Historian's Tome, strapped to her kitbag
an azure rose collar, around the neck

Sarita
She is an adaptive Human Earthen vampire rising well above the height of an average human. Her form is reminiscent of an animated statue, with stone flesh that appears to be made of a pale, polished marble that could easily rival the luscious quality of carvings found in the grandest of palaces and temples. Veins of an equally pale silver wend their way throughout her body, in some places curving to form voluptuous swirls over the otherwise androgynous figure. The pale stone occasionally pulses with an amber glow that seems to emanate from within her chest, strong enough to fill her entire body with its light. Her other features are markedly more feminine than those of other Earthen, and another sharp difference is made by two blue crystal inclusions in the stone that take the place of eyes. Seeming to glow almost on their own, they offer an enticing hint of the true power of the Earthen race. Translucent strands of spiderweb periodically weave around her form, empowering her with Iosyne's blessing. Earth and stone cling to her form under the blessing of the Earthen Lord.

(on her left ring finger) : the blackened ring of the Bloodletter
(on her right index finger) : a snarling, panther's head ring
(on her left wrist) : a helical bracelet of silver and gold
(proudly displaying the number 7) : a crystalline brooch
(worn demurely) : a demure gown of white silk

-----------------------------------------

The White Lily Lounge.
------ v57026 -------

[s]
|
[$] [ ] [+]
\ | /
[$]-[ ]-[$]
/ | \
[ ] [$] \
/ \
----- 12:6:0 0 ------
Lavishly decorated, the interior of this restaurant has been aimed towards fancier tastes. Black marble tiling covers the entire floor space while dark walnut paneling carved with lily motifs in the molding covers the lower half of the walls, the upper half adorned with cream-colored wallpaper sporting an elaborate pattern of lilies and scrolling vines. Large windows bedecked with heavy curtains occupy the front of the building near the entryway and the southern wall, though more often than not, the curtains remain half-drawn, the room kept dimly lit by the lily-shaped sconces adhered to the walls. Numerous tables and plush chairs occupy the room along with a few VIP booths here and there for larger groups. A small wooden stage occupies the eastern wall of the bistro, offering performance space for a small band. A long bar sits along the northern wall in front of a series of shelves stocked to capacity with a multitude of different alcohols. Behind the bar, a set of double doors leads into the kitchen. A large, inviting fireplace has been set into the wall here. A curved, booth-like couch of ebony leather couch stands here. Dressed in a black and green suit, a musician tunes his instruments here. A squat, cylindrical black table is here, a curved, ebony leather couch has been placed at it. An enormous onyx golem with inlaid sanguinite is here. The monstrous form of Sarita is here, her stony body towering over you. She wields a menacing flail in her left hand and a jewel-encrusted buckler in her right. You see a sign here instructing you that WARES is the command to see what is for sale.
You see exits leading southwest and down (closed pine door).

You have emoted: Phoenecia is standing in the middle of the open lounge floor, idly sweeping, though her antennae twitch upon detecting your entry. "Ah, welcome."

Sarita gives you a quiet nod, without any discernible expression on her face as she makes her way towards you. "The partners I can summon all are quite capable dancers," she explains simply. "The man who granted me the ability to conjure them is the best dancer I have ever seen."

You have emoted: Phoenecia tilts her head to one side, her expression one of mute interest. "Ah, really?" she asks. She moves to stow away the broom in a cupboard before returning to the center of the open space. "I'll be the judge of that. I'm not a bad dancer myself."

"Neither am I," Sarita says curtly as she shifts her grip on her shield, freeing her fingers to lightly touch the brooch pinned to her chest. "He felt that the partners I had for my own lessons were not adequate though, so he made sure I would have better ones in the future."

You have emoted: Phoenecia smoothes down the front of her vest and offers a small smile. "Alright then. Let's have a look, then?" she asks, her lavender eyes growing large with eagerness. "Can you summon any at will or is it random which one appears?"

Sarita's face gives away no hints regarding any possible thoughts she may be having, and her tone is equally unhelpful. "I can decide to make it look more like a man or woman if you have a particular preference, but beyond that, they will look fairly similar."

Empress Sarita Nehekhara, Priestess of Azvosh says, "I can make some small adjustments to the height or build if that is necessary, but that is about the extent of it."

You have emoted: Phoenecia seems to consider this for several moments before nodding. "Alright. Let's try for a gentleman," she suggests, her tone cheerful. "A bit taller than me. Otherwise? Surprise me."

Sarita just thought:
While there may be no expression showing on her face, there is a clear sense of curiosity from within Sarita's mind.

Empress Sarita Nehekhara, Priestess of Azvosh says, "Very well."

With a wistful look on her face, Sarita touches a crystalline brooch.

The White Lily Lounge.
------ v57026 -------

[s]
|
[$] [ ] [+]
\ | /
[$]-[ ]-[$]
/ | \
[ ] [$] \
/ \
----- 12:6:0 0 ------
A large, inviting fireplace has been set into the wall here. A curved, booth-like couch of ebony leather couch stands here. Dressed in a black and green suit, a musician tunes his instruments here. A squat, cylindrical black table is here, a curved, ebony leather couch has been placed at it. An enormous onyx golem with inlaid sanguinite is here. Grace in his movements, a blood replica of a male Consanguine dance partner is here. The monstrous form of Sarita is here, her stony body towering over you. She wields a menacing flail in her left hand and a jewel-encrusted buckler in her right. You see a sign here instructing you that WARES is the command to see what is for sale.
You see exits leading southwest and down (closed pine door).

Bearing distinctly male features, a blood replica of a Consanguine dance partner is otherwise unremarkable. He moves with practiced grace.
It carries over ten weeks of survival experience.

Under Sarita's watchful eye, the blood double rises to the requested height, then offers you a regal bow. "I could offer music as well, but I think your own musician is doing well enough for our purposes," Sarita says with the briefest of glances towards the cello player.

Sarita just thought:
"It will be interesting to see exactly how her dancing skill compares to others I've seen."

(My musician NPC was broken, so I wasn’t able to have him do any emoting himself throughout the entirety of this.)

You have emoted: The musician pauses in his practice to pull a flask from his jacket pocket to take a deep sip from it, glancing in Sarita's direction to offer a lazy salute before stowing the drink away before returning his attention to his cello. "Standard waltz?" he growls. "The usual?" Phoenecia nods curtly in response. "Mm. The usual. Just to see how this goes," she says lightly, dipping low in an elegant curtsey towards her new dance partner.

The blood double bows again, this time in a manner more suited to the waltz. As it rises, it extends a hand to you as an invitation for you to begin. Sarita watches for a moment before taking a somewhat stiff seat at the end of the nearest couch where she can observe without intruding.

You have emoted: Despite the rather unsettling nature of the phantom dancer, Phoenecia smiles pleasantly and takes the offered hand, shifting herself into position, standing so she's within a hand's breath of the man's torso and sliding one hand over the double's shoulder. There's a quiet tap and a shuffle of sheet music, and after a moment, the silence is cut by a rich, resonating melody defined by its distinctive three-step rhythm. Though the music begins, the Yeleni seems content to let the double lead.

The dancer feels real enough as it wraps its other hand around the back of your waist and begins to guide you into the first, basic steps of the dance. It seems content at first to test your ability to follow the initial pattern before Sarita nods very slightly from the couch. As if in response, his steps begin to make a wide circle around the cleared part of the floor.

You have emoted: Phoenecia is no novice, falling into step with grace and ease, her eyes remaining fixed on her partner, and her chin level with the floor. Her posture is both tight, and yet still somehow fluid, practically gliding across the dance floor on light footsteps as the music fills the lounge, the pace almost brisk.

Think
There's a strange sort of focus in Phoenecia's mind, much of her concentration directed towards the dance despite the relative ease. "Not bad for not being a real person," she observes.

Sarita lets the pair pass by her twice before nodding again. In response, the double lifts its arm to guide you into a basic twirl underneath it before returning easily and gracefully to circling the edge of the open space.

A blood replica of a male Consanguine dance partner melts into a pool of blood which promptly evaporates.

With a wistful look on her face, Sarita touches a crystalline brooch.

Sarita frowns in consternation at the sudden disappearance, but is quick to summon a new partner for you. The second double appears almost as quickly as the first vanished, sweeping in quickly to take the other's place while barely missing a step.

You have emoted: Phoenecia doesn't miss a beat as she shifts her hand to spin while still moving, the tail of her blouse and folds of her skirt swirling around her legs. She comes out of the twirl smoothly and into the next step in a fluid motion, her hands quickly resuming their previous positions. She continues to move as the musician continues to play, the song soon reaching the middle point.

As the new double settles back into its rhythm, Sarita nods once more, and it immediately responds by initiating another spin, but follows this one up with a reverse turn. Sarita watches this sequence with a bit more interest than she seemed to show previously.

You have emoted: A confident smile forms on Phoenecia's lips as she steps into the second spin, but her footwork is deft and nimble, and she pivots back on the same foot she'd used to initiate the spin, the flowing elements of her clothing showing off her swift movements. Just like before, she falls back into pace, stepping in time to the music as her free hand finds the double's shoulder once more.

Rather than simply allowing the pair to settle back into the familiar steps, Sarita nods at the double again, this time raising her shoulders very slightly at the same time. Following the unspoken command, the double moves his hands down your waist and lifts you off the floor for a single beat. Setting you back down, he easily places his hands back in their proper places to continue the sweeping steps from before.

You have emoted: The lift certainly catches Phoenecia by surprise, letting out a soft 'ooh' as her feet leave the ground. She laughs once she's back on her feet, slipping back into the dance and the flow of the music, the notes from the cello quickly building into the song's crescendo.

Think
"Yes. This one's -very- good," she enthuses once again. "I've not had a dance partner like this in a long time."

Sarita's double continues leading you gracefully around the floor, but instead of simply moving in a roughly circular pattern as it had been, it begins to take a more meandering path through the cleared space. The dance still follows the music however, with the particularly high or low notes leading to new spins or changes of direction.

You have emoted: Phoenecia follows the double even through the more complex steps with swiftness and grace. Though the music is familiar, the steps are not, but she keeps up as best as she's able, lagging only slightly, and only perceptible to an even more skilled dancer. She spins and twists and steps with each movement she's guided to, the cello in the background slowing as the music nears its end.

For the closing notes Sarita's blood double once again lifts you by the waist, but this time keeps you raised while spinning in a circle of his own. It is only as the music is at the penultimate note that he returns you to the ground, taking one step back with the very last note to end with a bow.

You have emoted: Phoenecia grins as the music comes to an end, offering the double another curtsey. "I must say, I'm impressed. Much better than I expected."

"You weren't bad yourself," Sarita says from the couch. Then, echoing your exact tone, she adds, "Better than I expected." She lifts her hand in a silent gesture to the double, and as if sensing its fate, it quickly leans over your hand, trying to raise it and sneak a kiss before being drawn back into the ground.

Sarita waves a hand dismissively at a blood replica of a male Consanguine dance partner, her attention clearly elsewhere.

A blood replica of a male Consanguine dance partner melts into a pool of blood which promptly evaporates.

You have emoted: Phoenecia looks almost disappointed as the double fades away, but as it does, she smoothes out her skirt, letting the pleats fall more neatly. "I must thank you. I've not had as good a dance partner as that in a long time."

Sarita rises slowly from the couch, looking down at you before saying, "You are most welcome. Would you like me to pass that compliment on to its creator as well?"

You have emoted: "Of course," Phoenecia replies, offering a small smile. "I always appreciate excellent work. Even strange ones."

Sarita just thought:
"I suppose 'strange' is not entirely untrue."

Sarita glances down towards the brooch for a moment of appears to be silent contemplation. Lifting her head again, she lets her crystal eyes linger on you as she says, "I shall try to remember the next time I see him. I must seek some rest for now, however."

You have emoted: Phoenecia nods her head and offers a courteous smile, and a half bow. "Good day to you. Rest well."
HavenGalileiSaritaSryaen