Iosyne's Mask

(Tells): Agony wracks you for an instant as Iosyne's words bestow the gift of Pain upon
you, "Come."

You sense Her presence in the southeastern corner.

Before the sadistic throne of the General.
--- Area 552: The Lair ----------- v49797 ---

[ ] [ ]-[ ]
\ /
[ ]
/ \
[ ] [ ]
/ /
[ ]-[L] [ ]-[+]

------------------ 1:-2:0 -------------------
A silent, wiry man is on his hands and knees, serving as a footrest to the throne. Despot
Issril Etysul is here. Dripping black ichor, a heaping skeleton of bone creates a
construct from the earth here. A sharp-edged and angular onyx throne awaits the General.
The monstrous half-woman, half-spider form of Iosyne, the Malevolent is here.
You see a single exit leading west.

An uncomfortable presence fills the atmosphere, the skies tinting red as the blessing of
the Malevolent empowers the faithful Congregation of Iosyne, the Malevolent.
Ayuna walks in slowly and stands at attention in front of the Malevolent.
Her eyes glow red now, void of any green hues they once had. As her gaze falls upon
Iosyne, she whispers in a rigid tone, "You called."

Essence pours out from Iosyne, blinding the room as it shoots through the roof of the
cavern carrying Her blessing. Finished, the Goddess turns Her eyes to you, "I did. Does it
chafe, My Inciter? Would you like for Me to remove it?"

Ayuna tilts her head curiously at the inquiry. "I would not complain on
such. It was Your task, and therefore Your call on when and if it should be removed." Her
fists unfurl, easing slightly. "It has been a motivator to my hunt, and a bane to my
mate."

Iosyne moves eerily through the room, veritably oozing across the cavern as She brings
Herself directly face-to-mask with you. "Shall we leave it on forever then? Whatever will
your mate say?" She ponders, fangs revealed through Her slowly widening smile.

Incredible hot, burning pain is felt against your skin as the mask renews its grip on your
face. Trails of black smoke waft out lazily from the eye-holes of your mask, carrying with
it the distinct scent of burning.

Iosyne sways Her head with the plumes of smoke, ensuring She inhales every last bit of the
thick cloud carrying the stench of your burning flesh.

Ayuna eyes burn, but she refuses to close them as she meets a direct gaze
with Iosyne. "I am sure that this time alone has caused him Pain, of the distance it has
created," she intones. Her stance remains calculated as if she still wears the hunt within
her muscles, tells given even more from the fresh blood dripping from her claws. "Surely,
though Your purpose for this mask is far more meaningful than to torment one who does not
follow any Divine."

Iosyne's smile peels back wider, distinct amusement playing across Her harsh features.
"Purpose," She repeats, tasting the word. "Tell Me. What do you think was My...purpose."

Shadows roll off your gown, rising above you to display a glowing insignia of crossed
fists before dissipating.

Ayuna returns to an expressionless face that can be barely seen as she
chooses her words carefully. "Perception is different for every bearer, Malevolent. What
intent You have may be different than the effects it has given me. I do not pretend to
know the thoughts of the Divine."
Iosyne replies, Her hands snaking forward to grip each side of the mask.
"Show Me your thoughts."

Ayuna relaxes her muscles with a forced action. "Every step I have taken
with this searing Pain has hardened me further, and kept me aware of my goals. It has been
a constant reminder that everything I do must be calculated to represent not only for my
own goals but for the world around me Your Rules, and to never waiver. If I am to be Your
representative, everything I do must be an embodiment of Your Rules." Her thoughts trail
off as her eyes start to stray but for an instant before locking eyes with Iosyne with a
sharpened curiosity. "The Shadows, though... they are curious. It is as if they are
reaching for something within me that they do not possess. I have wondered if they are the
ones who have faded from You, but again perception."

Grave paranoia suddenly strikes you out of nowhere, the shadows in the area darkening and
growing outward and upward to resemble humanoid forms. They reach outward for you, twitchy
and renegade things threatening to siphon something from you.

Iosyne does not react to your words, though Her hands begin to pull - ever so slightly -
on the mask. "Tell Me of Pain."
Blinding pain wracks your body as the mask shifts upon your face.

Health Lost: 707, unblockable, none

Your enhanced senses inform you that Meltas has appeared to the west.

Meltas enters from the west, riding a white spirit fox.

A figure shrouded by steam slowly walks in, sees the two figures in the room and slowly
starts to turn to walk away, not before giving a slight inclination of his head prior.

Meltas leaves to the west, riding a white spirit fox.

Ayuna shifts slightly. "I have always known Pain. I have been betrayed,
slandered, had my heart ripped out by Your Sister, have lost my grasp upon the Dominion,
been impaled and had my soul ripped out when undergoing the Tainting, and now this," she
hisses. "Pain is a tool. One can learn from every experience through Pain what caused it
and how to better themselves with it. As it washes over you, you can either break or adapt
and find your Power. Without Pain, you would not know your weakness and what to shed."

Despot Issril Etysul approaches a man serving as a footrest and abruptly kicks him in the
ribcage, eliciting a sharp pull of breath from the prone man.

Iosyne's hands creep back a bit further. "Have you broken, Inciter Mine?"

Health Lost: 1288, unblockable, none

Ayuna almost sneers at the question. "Absolutely not. Every instance has
only furthered my drive, and my success."

It is now noon on Kinsday, the 22nd of Severin, year 488 of the Midnight Age.

Iosyne seems emboldened by your words, Her grin widening manically. She gives a little
wiggle this time, a horrible squelching accompanying the movement as bits of your face
tear to follow the movement of the mask. She leans in closer, whispering conspiratorially
next to your ear. "Shall I break you?">

Health Lost: 2655, unblockable, none

Eyes going hollow, Ayuna whispers, "If You wish to further Your mark upon
me, but it will not make me waiver."

Despot Issril Etysul says, "You already wear Her mark, Ayuna. There is no need for
another."

"Let's see," Iosyne challenges impassively. She abruptly pushes forward, soundly settling
the face back onto your face with a harsh squish, before surging backwards and removing
the mask entirely. A good chunk of your face goes with it.

Your world dissolves as the mask is removed. Unending Pain is all that remains.

You are too stunned to be able to do anything.

You feel your eyes itch and your vision cloud with a red tint, which gradually intensifies
on the peripherals of your perception. Eventually, it is as if your eyeballs are being
squeezed in someone's merciless grip, so constricted is the feeling. The red fog is now a
bright crimson haze, obscuring everything else and leaving you with an infuriating, eager
thirst for bloodshed.

>

Piece by agonizing piece, the world slowly puts itself back together.

>

You are no longer stunned.

Ayuna curls forward, grabbing her head around where the edges of the mask
resided. She lets out a blood curdling scream laden with both pain and rage equally. Her
claws dig into her head, staying there several moments as she feels her bloodrage take
over, furthered by the threat to her existence. Barely aware she had healed herself, she
remains curled. Her senses reaching out for some prey, any prey, to exact the same pain
upon that she endures. After several moments, she comes to, straightening even though the
predatory demeanor remains.

Iosyne stands over your prone form with rare patience, holding the freed mask in front of
Her. Every so often, a little bit of your face slides off the contours of the mask,
hitting the ground beside you with a hot hiss. Holding perfectly still, the Malevolent
Goddess simply observes you through Her gouged white eyes as you rise to your feet.
Shadows roll off your gown, rising above you to display a glowing insignia of crossed
fists before dissipating.

Ayuna hisses through bared teeth, her fangs finally unhinged from the
contortion, "Loyalty is only broken through betrayal." She looks up slowly, taking no
notice of the seared flesh falling to the floor. Unfamiliar sensories affect her as air
touches the remaining flesh. Leaving the rest unsaid, she contains her bloodlust in front
of her Goddess and pulls herself to a practiced attention.

Satisfied, Iosyne lets the mask fall out of Her hands. Before it fits the floor, shadows
abruptly billow out, pushing it back into the air.

A shadow double of Ayuna begins to follow you.

Iosyne says, "Good."

Iosyne warps out of perception, Her monstrous form separating into inky threads of shadow
which slither away in different directions.

Bearing the eerie imitation of your face, a shadow double of Ayuna hovers wordlessly
beside you.

A shadow double of Ayuna chuckles at you.

Despot Issril Etysul moves her austere gaze over the room in silent appraisal.

A shadow double of Ayuna twitches spasmodically, the folds of its shadow cloak contorting
and collapsing in on itself in a nauseating, dry-heaving motion. After half a minute of
this has gone on, the shadow double spits out an object dripping in a thin, black liquid.
An ichor-covered shadowy intestine lands on the ground, expelled from the shadow double.

You ask a shadow double of Ayuna, "What are you doing here?"

"Heh heh heh," a shadow double of Ayuna chuckles at you.

You hiss vehemently at a shadow double of Ayuna.

Keep it close. It is critical to you.
TedrunaiCaynEphiArdentSekeres