Of Pain, Power, Heathenism, and Gnomish Maples

Today is Closday, the 10th of Arios, year 487 of the Midnight Age.
Your innate calendar sense tells you it is spring.
It is the middle of the night in Aetolia. (02:58:48)

Ayuna peers at a miniature gnomish maple suspiciously.

A small, sinuous trunk rises up from the center of the brown, terractotta pot, lightly coloured bark encompassing the entirety of its form. Halfway up the trunk, tree limbs begin to extend outwards, with smaller, more delicate branches jutting outwards from those. From the smaller limbs, dense clusters of deep green leaves grow in all directions, extending both outwards and upwards towards the higher boughs. A network of thin, iron wires wind sinuously around the extending branches, both controlling and limiting the growth of the miniature tree. Gnarled, weathered roots snake their way out of the ground at sporadic places, briefly breaking through the rich, emerald moss blanketing the soil around the base of the tiny tree.

This miniature tree's health appears to be above average, though could still benefit from weekly care and seasonal repotting.

Ayuna carefully sets about trimming a miniature gnomish maple, removing both excess growth as well as overgrown portions of the miniature tree. She takes a few moments to ensure the remaining growth is as should be before straightening once more, her task completed.

Rhyot tilts his head curiously.

Rhyot says, "You take care of trees?"

Ayuna says, "I sold Rak a pet I had already and he gave me this... living thing to take care of."

Ayuna steps back, looking down at a pair of well-made clippers. She whispers, "I was told to care for it..." Looking over a miniature gnomish maple, she adds quietly, "Apparently trees like to be cut frequently. Seems... like they are masochistic creatures that grow from Pain." She nods. "Yes, yes, this I'll accept."

Rhyot puts some gold sovereigns in a wyrmskin pack.

Rhyot grimaces awfully as he sinks his fangs into a vein of the corpse of a lava hound,nearly seeming to choke as he sucks it dry.

Blood drips from Ayuna's gown, pooling in the room around her feet.

Rhyot looks at the miniature maple tree and tilts his head to the side, almost amused by such a thing. "I've never seen nor heard of such a tree before. It seems amusing that they would trade a tree for a pet.. but yes, it does seem to grow from pain. Though I am unsure how that would work."

Rhyot says, "How do you seem to like the tree so far?"

Ayuna shakes her head. "Oh, not a trade. Just a gift after the exchange." Still staring at the tree, she intones, "Pain has it's qualities. As I teach those who wish to listen, Pain allows us to see our weakness. When we feel it, we can learn from it and shed what is unnecessary, making ourselves that much more Powerful." Shaking her head, she looks up at Rhyot. "Perhaps that is why they keep such pets. It is quite the reflection piece, though I am not sure I have the mind to care for it every week."

Rhyot listens to you, pondering your wonders and ideologies of your chosen path and Order. "Pain is in all aspects of our existence, for anyone to deny such only denies any chance of growth and strength." He walks up behind you, wrapping his arms around you and kissing the back of your head, "It might not need to be tended every week, but so long as it's looked after, I imagine it will still grow."

Shadows roll off Ayuna's gown, rising above her to display a glowing insignia of crossed fists before dissipating.

Ayuna tilts her head at Rhyot. An amused grin creeps upon her face as she whispers in hissing clicks, "You know, how you spoke right now, you may have a little bit of Iosian tenets in you. You ascendancy of Power, your perception of Pain, and the Equality that you enforce about our city. I know you won't, but you'd do well in Her Order."

Rhyot gives a slight laugh, "Some have argued that with me a lot. That I should join an Order." He nuzzles you tenderly, giving you a gentle squeeze, "I am sure I would grow within Iosyne's Order. I am sure we could work side by side more if I did. I seem to grow just as well outside of her order as well."

Rhyot grimaces awfully as he sinks his fangs into a vein of the corpse of a lava hound, nearly seeming to choke as he sucks it dry.

Ayuna cringes pathetically.

Ayuna says, "Stop eating those!"

Rhyot gives the corpse of a lava hound to Ayuna.

Ayuna smiles. "Would you consider it? We could use more in our ranks, and I'd be happy to stand aside you as an equal there as well."

Rhyot kisses each of your horns softly, his thumbs brushing over your stomach slowly. "While I know you would love me to join, my love, after this long, it just wouldn't seem like me to suddenly follow a god. My power, my strength, my success comes from me and those I keep around me."

Ayuna holds back a laugh. "How is that any different than me? I don't use Iosyne as a crutch. I follow and spread Her tenets because they are mine at my core before I ever knew She existed. We are aligned, and whether you like it or not, your core is the same. You'd not have to change just beause you are in Her Order. Mazzion is still Mazzion, is he not?"

Rhyot tilts his head to the side. "Mmm. He is, however he is subject to her whims. As is everyone else who follows a god. As a heathen, I can see where their goals are and choose to either support or not. We are aligned, yes, but I do not think I would join because my
experience as a heathen has shaped me to be what I am now." He kisses the top of her head gently, "But there were times, long ago before I became a heathen, that I often wondered why people follow a god and not just the tenets. However, that is likely a discussion for another time."

Ayuna wraps her arms around Rhyot. "A discussion for another time, my love. Thank you for your musings."
MoxieAlystrineAymah