A departure from the monastery

AloliAloli Between Books
(Sharing with @Lin's permission)

(Tells): Lin the Rojalli tells you, "Mmh. You sent a message?"

(Tells): You tell Lin, "Yes, I did. I have had chance to think on things and discuss
with the Priory. Let us meet in a few moments."

(Tells): Lin the Rojalli tells you, "As you wish."

A tranquil meditation pond (39057) - the Ancient Heartwood (8)
A vaguely circular pond occupies the heart of this vast garden, its gentle waters lap at the pillars of a footbridge, which offers a walkway across the pond and a view the fish and stones within, creating an idyllic view. Plenty of cherry blossom and dogwood trees around the garden are responsible for the light perfume in the air and a willow tree sways at the northern water's edge, its long and graceful branches skimming the water's surface. South of the pond lies a grassy meadow that provides a few stone benches, a perfect area to relax or meditate amongst the colorful and varied flora. The still waters of a pond reflect the atmosphere here, obscuring many of the countless marked stones beneath the surface. A sigil in the shape of a small, rectangular monolith is on the ground.
You see a single exit leading north.

Lin swims in from the north.
She is followed by an immense, three-eyed rojalli.

You have emoted: Aloli is standing on the footbridge over the tranquil pond, holding her hands together before her as she watches the fish swim. She welcomes Lin into the garden without looking up. "Thank you for joining me," says quietly.

Lin joins you by your side, taking a moment to appreciate the fat koi as they cavort and endlessly swirl through the waters. Perhaps they instill some sort of animal instinct in her, for her tail snakes this way and that.

Aloli remains quiet until Lin had time to enjoy the pond. Her gaze shifts to the etched stones within the pond and she says, "I have a few things I would like to say, and I
would like for you to listen," in her softspoken yet firm voice, "You'll be given the chance to speak after I'm done, and I will listen."

"As you wish," Lin says, and that's all she needs to say. She doesn't move, doesn't change her stance, but turns her head, and presents you with the sum of her attentions.

Your pose is now set as:
Aloli is standing on the footbridge with Lin, speaking softly.

You have emoted: Aloli feels the weight of Lin's gaze shift to her, she continues looking ahead. "When I first set out to clean this pond I got the idea to allow the ordained monks to etch something on stones and leave it here for future monks to learn from. Each seems to share something of their experience, the troubles they went through, to help those who will come after them." She reaches forward and points to a particular stone, hers, "That one is mine," she shares in goodwill. "Have you seen it yet?" This is when she turns to finally look at Lin.

"I've read them... though I do not know all of the words by heart," Lin answers.

Aloli nods as she lowers her hand back to join the other and her gaze returns to the pond. "Of course not, that would be impressive to have such detailed memory," she offers mildly. "The reason I mention them, particularly mine, is because I believe the lesson I learned can help you if you choose to learn it as well." She begins to elaborate and it seems this is where her monologue will begin, "I remember seeing your name in a few articles in Lord Damariel's Priesthood and I remember your reactions when I was giving the lecture at the Eireachdus this year. So I know you're familiar with some things I'm about to say." There is no reason for her to move or look away from the pond, the inflections in her voice carry her intentions clearly. "Our souls are nothing but battlegrounds where our reason and judgment will always wage war on our passion and appetite. And it is up to you, as a monk, to recognize this war and to always find the broken pieces within you to reconcile them."

Lin is not the sort who can school her face and keep her thoughts hidden. She would make a poor soldier, and would lose at the poker table, every time. Judging from her frown, it is clear she wants to say something, anything, but to her credit she keeps her mouth shut.

"You must be the peacemaker of your own soul," Aloli continues passionately and her hand lifts to gesture at her heart, "You must love all your elements, the broken ones and the beautiful ones and like I wrote on my stone, it's your job to find those barriers you've built and destroy them so you can once again be whole." She seems to be fully aware of Lin's desire to speak as she turns to look up at Lin. There is a small smile pulling at her lips as she sees the show of discipline that it takes to remain quiet in such a situation, she recognizes it then continues, "From what I understand of our previous discussion, you want someone to take what you've become now and make you powerful. Turn you into a weapon so that you can become useful to a cause." At this point, the Abbess turns to stand sideways on the footbridge to look upon Lin, there is still kindness in her gaze. "However, you're trusting yourself to a Goddess who will indeed give you what you ask but will break and twist your mind further so that you only serve Her will not your own. You would never be free to govern yourself."

"As a daughter of the Unbound God, I am of the mind to help you and to keep trying to help you since you are my kin." Aloli continues with her monologue, it seems she has much to say but her conclusion nears, "You probably can remember what He says about kin, yes?" She pauses for a moment but not to give room for an answer, "He taught us that if they do not remain fettered in their service to the Light, it is my duty to be their shepherd and to speak to them in confidence first that they may listen and change. If they don't then I should attempt a second and third time, each with gathering more of our kin to assist in the cause and at the end of the third if nothing was going to affect them then they cannot be called kin any longer and treated as such." She lifts a finger to add a point, "But, I am also the Abbess of this monastery and I know things are very different now than they used to be in your time or in Kerryn's time. I have to do what I can to protect it and its students while also keeping it open to everyone who comes here seeking help, whether they realize they need help or not as well - so long as their legs brought them to our doorstep, I will help and protect them and fight for them too - including you."

Sensing that there is a conclusion afoot, Lin turns, away from the koi pond, facing you, meeting your eyes. The damnable mask makes it nigh-impossible to read her expression, but her eyes are stern, focused, and barely seem to blink.

Aloli centers her vibrantly blue gaze on Lin and does not seem overly disturbed by the mask even though it takes her a moment to speak again, "What I see from you, is that you have lost your sense of self-worth. You might have forgotten that you are very capable of turning your own weaknesses around and making them into your strengths." She points at herself, finger poking at her breast, "Here I am before you, you see me and think someone whole and you cannot see that I had a past full of abuses, fears, and pains. Can you?" She offers herself as an example, a possible teacher or mentor. "In the end, the decision to learn must be yours. Even though I think everyone is worth saving until they choose not to be saved. Light and discipline is ultimately a choice and by you reaching out to tell me you've chosen to worship Her, it sounded like a cry for help. So I will offer you help but you cannot remain in the monastery and actively worship Her. She will use you and it will harm the monastery, whether you intend to it or not."

Aloli announces her final decision, "I do want to try to help you see better and learn better but I am also a leader and I need to worry over the abbey. Redemption is not something I can force upon you, you'll have to want and be open to seeing that there are other ways besides Corruption to be remade into someone strong - the Rekindled is the better option for you. However, I cannot let this go on in the monastery. I would have to train you outside because I cannot allow others to think it is 'okay' to follow Corruption and bring Her here, I don't want them doing the same. For the sake of the whole, regardless of whether or not I need help still developing the abbey and its construction, I have to take you outside to teach you then I can bring you back - if you choose so in the end."

Aloli exhales a breath after all this and gestures with her hand at Lin, inviting her to speak and demonstrating that she'll remain quiet.

Lin's eyes pore over you, from top to bottom. She doesn't seem to know where to start. It's like being presented with food too large to usefully bite down on. "I don't know what to say," she admits, not downtrodden, not timid or withdrawn, simply lost-sounding. "I think that is the longest someone has ever spoken to me in my entire life. I have no earthly idea how to respond to all of that."

Aloli nods with a soft smile and she remains quiet. This is, apparently, only a glimpse into how fast her mind travels sometimes and her gaze softens apologetically. She does remain quiet and shows absolutely no sign of urgency to go anywhere, giving Lin all her attention and showing that she is quite patient. To afford Lin some time to think, she turns to face the pond once more and exhales a slow breath.

Grateful, perhaps, for the time to chew on the tremendous monologue, Lin turns in unison, regarding the koi. The early morning sun has begun to throw her scintillating lights into the water, so that the pond sparkles as though it were full of gemstones. It is a long while before she speaks again. "Here are truths," she says. "I have no self-worth. I -will- be broken and made useless. It is not only ill-fitting for your younger monks to see me and the effects She has on me, but it is also against guild law."

"We are very different people, and we approach problems, we rationalize, and we think very differently, on a fundamental level," Lin says. "If I were the Abbess, I would have approached the unruly student and kicked her ass out, by force if I had to."

Aloli interlocks her fingers before her as she listens and nods. Apparently her forgiving and patient nature is obvious, this causes her to crease her brow thoughtfully, but she continues to remain quiet, listening.

Apparently, this is enough for Lin. "You're a good woman," she says. "In fact, you're too good. The monastery is turning out beautifully. Good luck with the renovations, and thank you for putting up with me."

While Aloli takes that statement as a compliment it seems to greatly concern her. She understands Lin made a decision as this sounds like a farewell to her. With an expressive face as hers, she turns to look up at Lin and frown. It takes her a moment to come to what she wants to say next, "I know you don't owe me anything, but would you at least be open to speaking with one of Lady Ethne's representatives? See if they can help show you the tools you need too?" She holds out her hand, palm up in an open question gesture, "And even though you'll be outside the monastery - I would not see you go without a teacher already arranged."

Lin paces away from the edge of the pond, already, it seems, of a mind to figure out where her feet will take her next, her tail snapping around in the air. "It is because I respect you that I will agree," she says. "I am of the mind that Ethne's chosen will be of little use to me. But... I will try."

Aloli easily follows along, keeping a casual conversational distance, generally heading toward the bell tower. "Thank you, and I am honored to have earned your respect." She does not seem to need to lead the way beyond a few paces toward the north of the pond where her footing slows, "I'll speak with you soon then and we can discuss your lesson plan once you've made your preparations and taken what you need from the abbey." She cants her head toward the library, "You can take whatever scrolls or books you need for your journey as well."

"I'll be fine," Lin insists. "I have read all the books. I would tell you to ask Ander what I think of them, but I think he was ready to strangle me the last time I offered literary critique. Thank you, Aloli." One last time, she bows to you, pressing her fist into her open palm.

Aloli smiles while she returns the bow, fist pressed against palm, "I do have to speak with him, yes." It's clear she understands the notion and wishes Lin, "Safe travels, Lin. I will see you soon."

Lin swims off to the north.
She is followed by an immense, three-eyed rojalli.
Between what is said and not meant, and what is meant and not said, most of love is lost. - Khalil Gibran
BenedictoKatieHavenSarita