Announce post #3017: Mana draining NPCs

<pre>10/14/2019 at 6:01
Razmael, the Synthesist
Everyone
Mana draining NPCs

If you were there the other day to witness the Great NPC Sleepening of 2019, and its followup the Great NPC Meditatening of 2019, you might have been wondering "What the heck is happening? What did Tiur break now?". Well, I've updated NPCs so that they now have endurance, mana and willpower so when that was loaded, every NPC in the game had to sleep and meditate to recover their vitals.

I had to add endurance to NPCs for another project I'm working on, so I decided to go ahead and add mana/willpower while I was at it. And while I was doing that, I thought why not update some mana-drain skills to work on NPCs? I couldn't do all of them, but the ones I could I did! Note that currently, only NPCs we have flagged as 'sentient' will have mana/willpower.

Currently draining their mana won't actually do anything (exception below for Mentis/Spirituality), but the mechanic is now there for you to keep in mind, in case we decide to use it in some way for special NPCs/boss fights.

These abilities have been updated to work on NPCs:
Vision - Contemplate
Vision - Gauge
Arcanism - Leaching
Bladefire - Combustion
Geometrics - Fork [already worked, but now the mana drain happens too]
Mentis - Siphon
Numerology - Stream
Sanguis - Seize [only mana drain not stun]
Sorcery - Madness [only hits NPCs that are aggro or attacking you]
Spirituality - Sap

Also these two abilities have been updated to work on NPCs, on an experimental basis:
Mentis - Annihilate
Spirituality - Absolve

Yes, instakills on a NPC. To reiterate, very experimental. This is largely intended just for fun, and we don't expect it, nor intend it, to come anywhere close to the effectiveness of traditional DPSing a NPC. Neither of those two skills work on crit-immune NPCs as a result. If you find it lets you cheese NPCs in some way that's more effective than traditional DPS, please let us know so we can address it. Again, this is just for fun!

Penned by my hand on Kinsday, the 17th of Lanosian, in the year 483 MA.</pre>
RebraOonaghZailaSeurimasMoxieMeihui