Guard Changes!

2»

Comments

• The idea I get just from reading the post is that in theory the more open your city is the better your potential defense can be. However, you also have more area to defend so it can be harder.

• I'm undecided on the guard limit/doors thing, I'll have to see how that plays out in application before I form a solid opinion.

I'm NOT afraid to jump the gun, though, and say that Guard Complacency is freakin' awesome. Cities were never meant to be bashing area, and I absolutely LOVE this.

(Though I wouldn't be opposed to seeing that "complacency" mechanic thrown into an area, so you have a bashing area that increases with difficulty as you go on...that's kinda cool...)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

(The Front Line): Daskalos says, "<-- artifacts."

Aldric
  • MacavityMacavity Chicago, Il
    here is my thought....

I dont think Lightform or Blackwind should be used to walk in and out of a city at will. Like every city that has an entrance to the outside should have a field that once someone passes in either form should pull them out of that form if they are enemies to the city.  This would stop Drask and others from coming and going and killing guards left and right.

Since Phase and Mistform has times attached to it to go into or out of those forms these should not be affected.  
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
    AlistaireXavinRivasAmaraAzraelAngweKiyotanDaskalosArbrePerilunaIllikaal
  • As per @Razmael's change a few days ago, High Mage class guards now have a decent chance to stop people from escaping using the abilities you mentioned.
    Azrael
  • DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.
    Yea... the eye sigil change kind of destroys lightform\blackwind. But, to do a raid, you gotta be able to punch a hole, and that's the problem. I'm not sure I like 1 minute passive on raids, but we'll see. 5 would of been better IMO, but it's all fluid!

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

• edited February 2013
    I  was never a fan of non-corporeal/invulnerable status form abilities in any MUD i've played (this including Achaea and Lusternia),  i've always felt they give far too much abuse-able/bullying advantage rather than a defensive mechanic (which was their original intention). That said, I have no issue if a class is designed around said mechanic, or if it fits into their RP role. Take Phase for example, I find it fits very well into the Assassin genre and in a game with guard and defense mechanics such as ours, it is necessary for Syssin to have in order to be their sneaky sneaky selves. Lusternia also has a skill where 90% of its abilities only work if you are within the non-corporeal form (I wont go into detail with this since this is not the place).

I personally would not mind if Blackwind and Lightform got the hook. They are obviously not being used for their intended purpose and even moreso with the latest High Mage guards being able to toss an eye sigil, the skills have become more obsolete.

Edit: Here's hoping  these 2 abilities can be taken back to their original function.
    ArekaMacavityRivasIllikaal
    i see we can add doors with the city command city door place (direction) but is there also a REMOVE door option as well that will add the 10k back to the ministry???
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

@Calipso - If you want to talk about that, let's make a new thread, but my only comment would be that how do you know what their intended purpose is? I've never thought of them as anything more THAN as infiltration devices.

"If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

Macavity said:
    i see we can add doors with the city command city door place (direction) but is there also a REMOVE door option as well that will add the 10k back to the ministry???

It would also be nice for us to be able to add locks to these doors (keylocks) - especially in Enorian, with the aforementioned places that were 'gifts' from former players to the citizenry. It would be a neat perk to be able to give out keys.

Daskalos said:
    Macavity said:

It would also be nice for us to be able to add locks to these doors (keylocks) - especially in Enorian, with the aforementioned places that were 'gifts' from former players to the citizenry. It would be a neat perk to be able to give out keys.
    I dont see this as a good idea, some people might take advantage of this and start to lock doors that are placed on player's houses that is not well liked.  I can see a LOT of abuse on this.  Also regardless if it was a gift or not it still had the players name on it and they could reclaim it anytime they wanted.
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

If the owner comes back, it would be one thing. But we've got a Bar and Tavern, a Garden, and a Lighthouse that we can't use. They're cool RP features that just don't exist.

• JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    Does nobody watch world war 2 documentaries?  Russians killed their own soldiers all the time to make them fight.  It doesn't fit Duiran's RP but I could totally see Loch executing guards to set an example for the rest.  IE:  Daskalos comes in and performs a 1 man raid and is successful.  When he comes back for round 2 from the mirror the MoS decides to publically execute guards who didn't turn up for duty (out of response range) and so when killed for treason all the other guards step up their game (reduced complacency by 2% per).  Now he's faced with guards that are ready to fight instead of getting paid to sit on their asses.
    Ciarelle
  • SeirSeir Seein' All the Things Getting high off your emotion
    Roman decimation was pretty big too. Killing every 10th man in a legion if they failed spectacularly.
  • TzaTza
    edited March 2013
    Seir said:
    Roman decimation was pretty big too. Killing every 10th man in a legion if they failed spectacularly.
    Such waste.

Why not use every 10th man as a meatshield instead. Give them a wooden sword (and nothing else) and if they survive the battle they get to live.. maybe. *evil*

Angwe
  • SeirSeir Seein' All the Things Getting high off your emotion
    Because if they gave the man a wooden shield, it would've broken most of Rome's military formations like the testudo or the repellere equites (repel horsemen formation). Basically, any flaw in the formation risked the entire division.

Though I know you were joking. :P
    Angwe
  • TzaTza
    edited March 2013
    Seir said:
    Because if they gave the man a wooden shield, it would've broken most of Rome's military formations like the testudo or the repellere equites (repel horsemen formation). Basically, any flaw in the formation risked the entire division.

Though I know you were joking. :P

Well I thought they could be put in front of the formation and then poked with the sword/spear to make them run towards the enemy, brandishing their wooden sword. It would make the enemy either waste arrows or they might trip over the corpses later. Something like that.

(And yeah I'm joking, but then I'm not an evil Overlord either.. yet. :) )